• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
Fuck your dumbass funybook continuity, I says. Unless Dan Didio went to your house with a flamethrower and burned down your copies of Batgirl starring Stephanie Brown / 52 / Put your favourite story here they still happened, because this shit doesn't matter.

The New 52 has been an excuse to get new teams writing new stories with those characters. And some of them are even pretty fucking excellent. Nothing else matters, and nothing else should matter, and fuck all of y'all nerds. PEACE.

Fuck your dumbass funybook continuity, I says. Unless Dan Didio went to your house with a flamethrower and burned down your copies of Batgirl starring Stephanie Brown / 52 / Put your favourite story here they still happened, because this shit doesn't matter.

The New 52 has been an excuse to get new teams writing new stories with those characters. And some of them are even pretty fucking excellent. Nothing else matters, and nothing else should matter, and fuck all of y'all nerds. PEACE.

There has been a big emphasis on this as of late.

Also is superman still wearing a suit of armor ??

Interview + Preview of Batman and Robin #18

Pretty interesting stuff. From the few preview pages, this book looks like it's going to properly show the pain of the loss.

The title Batman and Robin changes next month, yet the team-up theme will continue. Starting in issue 19, the book becomes Batman and … and features Red Robin, Red Hood, Batgirl, Catwoman and Nightwing joining the Dark Knight in upcoming chapters.

Tomasi and Gleason have a big story in the planning stages "that spins out from all this craziness," the writer says. However, he'll only reveal for now that the next few issues will have Batman dealing with the five stages of grief "in his own inimitable way with several characters of the Bat-family in unexpected twists."

I wonder if each of the team ups will be symbolic of the stages of grief?

Also is superman still wearing a suit of armor ??

Yeah. And it's basically an excuse other than THE FORCEFIELD to explain why he isn't naked after every battle.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Luckily there is more of it! Also check out Young Avengers #1 and #2 by Gillen. #1 didn't completely sell me on it, but #2 finished the job.
I read Young Avengers just before it and I wasn't really impressed-felt incredibly short, probably because of all the characters. I know it's getting good praise so I will try again with #2.

GF read All New Xmen last night too and said good things so got that to try out too and some others. Basically hoping to try out a bunch of Marvel Now!s and get a good monthly pull list going /love comixology

tim1138

*Applause*

Well said.

ElNarez

Banned
that was bad and you should feel bad narez.

Continuity is just a tool. The moment you treat it as anything but, you become a big dullard and I will fight you at recess, you nerd.

DC jettisoning the continuity isn't the problem. It's DC Editorial being out of their goddamn minds and not knowing what to do while still being insistent on having plenty of control over stories that's really at fault for the current messes.

Owzers

I read Young Avengers just before it and I wasn't really impressed-felt incredibly short, probably because of all the characters. I know it's getting good praise so I will try again with #2.

GF read All New Xmen last night too and said good things so got that to try out too and some others. Basically hoping to try out a bunch of Marvel Now!s and get a good monthly pull list going /love comixology

#2 is indeed more focused and doesn't try to show each character, instead it moves on right from the last page of #1.

Side note: Don't bother redeeming Marvel digital codes right now, they aren't going to show up in your purchase history Xp. I'll probably have to email comixology again, but this is getting annoying. I know they were having trouble but since i can download books again i thought that was fixed....enough.

So true, because Uncanny X-Force could have been the entirely same story without any New X-Men continuity.

52 REBOOT OF POST:

What's Uncanny X-Force? I've never heard of that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Continuity is just a tool. The moment you treat it as anything but, you become a big dullard and I will fight you at recess, you nerd.

DC jettisoning the continuity isn't the problem. It's DC Editorial being out of their goddamn minds and not knowing what to do while still being insistent on having plenty of control over stories that's really at fault for the current messes.

bring it bro, im always at the handball courts. meet me somewhere!

which really makes this look like an error. like not giving batman and green lantern a hard reboot like the others, and having to suffer the concequences of it just seems bad.

they wanted to come out on top against marvel, and for a while, brand new books was inticing enough to get people to jump. but their lackluster decision making has indeed made this a burden as well as shortsighted. not to say that there arent any good sides to this (wonder woman, animal man. swamp thing, shazam) but there is a lot of shit to swim through. and when sales start to sink again, whats the plan?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So true, because Uncanny X-Force could have been the entirely same story without any New X-Men continuity.

52 REBOOT OF POST:

and now even glorious Hickman's Avengers is using New X-Men continuity. Batman was my favorite for years but DC can't stop shitting the bed. Marvel Now is how you do "reboots", New 52 is not. I follow comics and I have no idea what's going on - between Morrison's Batman in one universe, and like 9 other bat books in the new 52 universe, it's all a mess.

lolno? Crisis on Infinite Earths created a new single universe with a new history.

Most of the Justice Society's past history was intact; most of Batman's history was intact, despite the new origin; the Teen Titans' history was almost completely intact (though Donna Troy needed a new origin, and Bat-Girl retroactively became Flamebird); even the Justice League's history was largely intact, with a few continuity patches (Black Canary replaced Wonder Woman as a founding member until after Infinite Crisis). It wasn't a wholesale junking of existing continuity by any means.

This is also correct.

I feel like one day they should just publish every DotFP homage cover in one book.

NTW_Cv21.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
they wanted to come out on top against marvel, and for a while, brand new books was inticing enough to get people to jump. but their lackluster decision making has indeed made this a burden as well as shortsighted. not to say that there arent any good sides to this (wonder woman, animal man. swamp thing, shazam) but there is a lot of shit to swim through. and when sales start to sink again, whats the plan?

5 letters, starts with E, synonym for "Happening". "Trinity War" is going to be a company-wide mega-_____ that's sure to boost sales by making dwindling books seem much more important than they currently are by slapping a big bright banner on them.

52 REBOOT OF POST:

Again, continuity is a tool. Worshiping it the way some of you geeks have done is capital-S Silly. To argue your point in the way you have formulated it, just because Uncanny X-Force is the bomb doesn't invalidate Wonder Woman. There's plenty of validity to either approach, especially in the world of Corporate Capes.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I don't think you have to "worship" continuity to not like or approve of DC shitting the bed and scribbling over everything in the most rash un-thought out way that erased popular characters and runs. Its ensured that post Morrison Inc. wrap-up I'm out entirely. Wonder if anyone raised the issue of erasing Damien from the nu52 before it started. Who cares right?

Owzers

With everything referencing New X-Men, i really need to crack into that omnibus and finish it. I read through the first ultimate trade and some of the second before upgrading to the omni and then not continuing. Good stuff though.

Parallax

5 letters, starts with E, synonym for "Happening". "Trinity War" is going to be a company-wide mega-_____ that's sure to boost sales by making dwindling books seem much more important than they currently are by slapping a big bright banner on them.

Again, continuity is a tool. Worshiping it the way some of you geeks have done is capital-S Silly. To argue your point in the way you have formulated it, just because Uncanny X-Force is the bomb doesn't invalidate Wonder Woman. There's plenty of validity to either approach, especially in the world of Corporate Capes.

so they do the things people hate marvel for. massive events that pool various books together in a hope that sales will inflate.

current dc in a nutshell

ElNarez

Banned
so they do the things people hate marvel for. massive events that pool various books together in a hope that sales will inflate.

current dc in a nutshell

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

(PS: Manhattan Projects #10 and Nowhere Men #4 out this week. So hype for that SCIENCE.)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Again, continuity is a tool. Worshiping it the way some of you geeks have done is capital-S Silly.

what? bro i HATE continuity and i HATE big cross over events. they make cape books needlessly complicated and impossible for new readers to come along. having said that, there's a right way to make new books that're accessible for new readers while still preserving continuity for the old fans (Marvel Now) and there's a wrong way that both confuses new readers and shits on old fans (new 52).

With everything referencing New X-Men, i really need to crack into that omnibus and finish it. I read through the first ultimate trade and some of the second before upgrading to the omni and then not continuing. Good stuff though.

bro New X-Men is the best

(PS: Manhattan Projects #10 and Nowhere Men #4 out this week. So hype for that SCIENCE.)

Image creator owned stuff is better than the big 2 cape stuff anyways. SCIENCE IS THE NEW ROCK N ROLL

Parallax

then why not change up the game? why not do a reboot like tangent, instead of miniscule differences in the shape of one?

Blader

Is Narez supposed to be Bandit's alt? Jesus.

You are joking if you think COIE didn't drastically change characters history.

The simple truth is: If you like DC at all in the past you probably liked a rebooted version (anything 1985 onwards). So why people can accept that reboot but not this one is just plain bizarre.

I'd wager a good majority of the people reading DC comics now are ones who grew up on the post-COIE continuity. You don't see why they would be upset about the last near-30 years of stuff getting jettisoned?

I don't care about continuity. I care about the amazing Batgirl series being cancelled, and rebooted with fuckin Babs as Batgirl, meanwhile Steph Brown is nowhere to be seen. Fuck DC!

SRG01

Checked the new releases today... Probably going to pick up UXM for sure. I picked up Legacy last week on a whim and it was pretty good. Might pick up this week's issue if I feel like it.

Should I give Age of Ultron another chance?

frye

in hewligan's haircut, hewlett and milligan call comics "timid" but it seems they should be called "whiney" instead

Owzers

Checked the new releases today... Probably going to pick up UXM for sure. I picked up Legacy last week on a whim and it was pretty good. Might pick up this week's issue if I feel like it.

If you guys don't buy Age of Ultron, how will i know if it's worth getting the trade? Buy it. Gaf will comfort you if it's terrible.

arkon

Wait for the trades. That way you can gauge the general opinion on if it's any good and whether or not it's worth buying. Save yourself some cash.

I'd wager a good majority of the people reading DC comics now are ones who grew up on the post-COIE continuity. You don't see why they would be upset about the last near-30 years of stuff getting jettisoned?

My point was this: People are bagging on DC because New 52 is a reboot. But if they enjoyed post COIE content, they themselves were fans of a reboot. You can't tear down New 52 for being a reboot when the last 30 years of stories have been the result of a reboot. You can't have your pie and eat it too. It's one thing to hate New 52 if you were a fan of Golden Age (i.e. non-rebooted content). But it's another to love a rebooted continuity but harp on a rebooted continuity for being a reboot. Like post COIE but not New 52? That's cool. But you can't hate it for BEING A REBOOT when your beloved content IS FROM A REBOOT. I can't stress this point enough.

I don't care about continuity. I care about the amazing Batgirl series being cancelled, and rebooted with fuckin Babs as Batgirl, meanwhile Steph Brown is nowhere to be seen. Fuck DC!

Original Batgirl is best Batgirl. Sorry mang. I'd love for Steph to be brought back though...

.... and then immediately fridged. <trollface>

Acid08

Banned
Marvel has the creative teams I'm interested in and that's that. I will read a book starring ANY character as long as I like the team behind it, DC or Marvel. The fact is that DC just doesn't have lots of writers and artists I love outside of a few choice dudes. I don't care much about anything but a solid product and Marvel is delivering that in spades right now.

I care about continuity when it comes to character interaction. Characterization comes first but the reboot got rid of Steph and Power Girl who was doing amazing in her solo and was awesome.

I care about continuity when it comes to character interaction. Characterization comes first but the reboot got rid of Steph and Power Girl who was doing amazing in her solo and was awesome.

Power Girl still exists. And her previous solo series had been canceled. (Due to low sales). A series, I might add, that I collected all of. Current Power Girl is fine.

frye

Scott Snyder talks more about 'Batman: Year Zero' (Newsarama)

Anyone else find it humorous that the idea came from fans bombarding him with questions about how Batman's history could possibly work within the rebooted New52 timeline, and him realizing it can't?

FWIW, he's been pretty open in saying he knows that this shit doesn't make sense. Like, the reboot fucked up Year One of all things (since James, Jr. is a baby in that and a fully grown adult in the current continuity) which is as definitive as an origin story you can get for a character. They could just keep ignoring it (which, y'know - whatever, right?) but something needed to address it eventually. Doing it for nearly a year in the main title is probably not the best solution, tho.

e: reading that interview it seems like he's not gonna explain all the dumb shit but maybe try and make sense of some of it? sounds like Batman: Secret Origin or something.

Acid08

Banned
Power Girl still exists. And her previous solo series had been canceled. (Due to low sales). A series, I might add, that I collected all of. Current Power Girl is fine.
But previous Power Girl was great. There just didn't seem to be all that much coming out of DC that you can truly call great now. And books that have potential (S&S) get cancelled before there are five issues out.

Out of all the current DC stuff is kind of sad that Green Arrow is the most exciting thing going on. Although I still do like Batman and will continue buying even if I don't need that origin yet again.

But previous Power Girl was great. There just didn't seem to be all that much coming out of DC that you can truly call great now. And books that have potential (S&S) get cancelled before there are five issues out.

Out of all the current DC stuff is kind of sad that Green Arrow is the most exciting thing going on. Although I still do like Batman and will continue buying even if I don't need that origin yet again.

I agree. I love Power Girl. But then, I've loved her in all of her incarnations. Yes, even that stupid Atlantean version that SHOULD HAVE NEVER EXISTED. I loved her in Generation Lost. I'd argue that the new Power Girl is actually a return to form for Kara of Earth 2. Previous Power Girl had gotten way too mopey, in my opinion, and was losing alot of what made her great; She was supposed to be the Supergirl that didn't have the baggage; She loved being who she was. The Connor / Basri Power Girl wasn't that (Too much sadface, but Atlee made it OK).

And as for great stuff... Opinions? I'd disagree. But obviously our tastes differ.

My point was this: People are bagging on DC because New 52 is a reboot. But if they enjoyed post COIE content, they themselves were fans of a reboot. You can't tear down New 52 for being a reboot when the last 30 years of stories have been the result of a reboot. You can't have your pie and eat it too. It's one thing to hate New 52 if you were a fan of Golden Age (i.e. non-rebooted content). But it's another to love a rebooted continuity but harp on a rebooted continuity for being a reboot. Like post COIE but not New 52? That's cool. But you can't hate it for BEING A REBOOT when your beloved content IS FROM A REBOOT. I can't stress this point enough.

Um, no. I fully support anyone who's been reading comics for a year being FINE with Nu52. I'm talking about why *I* don't like Nu52. Not because it is "a reboot" because it is "a reboot that dick kicked so many things I loved about the universe."

Parallax

Um, no. I fully support anyone who's been reading comics for a year being FINE with Nu52. I'm talking about why *I* don't like Nu52. Not because it is "a reboot" because it is "a reboot that dick kicked so many things I loved about the universe."

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom