• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished reading the last tpb of Rucka's Punisher-run. It felt weird seeing Punisher portrayed looking more like Solid Snake than the usual Frank the Frank, that I've grown accustomed to see :D Still, a solid tpb and a good finish to the arc.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/new-daredevil-anthology-dark-nights.html

daredevil-dark-nights_02.jpg

Artist Lee Weeks will be making his DD-writing debut writing and drawing the first 3 issues of Daredevil: Dark Nights, a June-debuting anthology series, out of continuity with Waid’s main series.

According to USA Today, Weeks' Dark Nights story, “originated with the creator seeing a lot of grayness in the heroic storytelling of today.”

"And not just in comics but in the culture," Weeks told the national newspaper. "I was taken aback by some of the things some of the characters had done. So I just wanted to tell a story about what it is to be a hero. It seems like there's been a love affair with ambiguity sometimes."

Weeks describes his story arc to USA Today as a “very stripped-down one.“

“A massive blizzard has hit New York City, and Daredevil loses his identity — physically, briefly, thanks to a severe concussion — but finds that he's the only hope for a little girl in desperate need of a heart transplant after her donor heart goes missing.”

"In Jack London-esque fashion, and with compromised radar, Daredevil must trek across an icy, immobilized Manhattan, find the lost organ box, and deliver its precious cargo before the ticking clock of the heart's viability runs out," Weeks said.

Says USA Today: “And in the recovery of it, Daredevil spends much of the story reclaiming his inner identity, as well: who he is and what makes him tick."

"It's a story about hope against hopelessness and redemption," Weeks explained. "No matter how heroic or how big anybody might be, there's also a big element that nobody's doing it alone."

Owzers

Okay, heroes being heroes is fine if that's what you're into, but what character is getting aids/raped/beheaded? That's what i wanna know.

Okay, heroes being heroes is fine if that's what you're into, but what character is getting aids/raped/beheaded? That's what i wanna know.
Kate-Hawkeye is getting AIDS (see what I did there?), Batman is getting raped (yes, again), and Spider-Man's getting beheaded in a horrific adult circumcision accident (see what I did there?).

I've been sold on Black Beetle after checking out just a small sample of Francavilla's beautiful artwork, but I can't find it via Comixology. Stupidly, I didn't know it was a Dark Horse book. I've heard bad things about their digital services though, particularly their app and as I don't buy floppies, it seems like the only option. I've already seen the Gaf-praise for this book and I desperately want in, but is the Dark Horse app really as bad as I've heard? Will there be a hardcover collection? I searched Amazon with no results.

On another note, thanks to the Marvel 700 promotion, I've now read Hawkeye and Immortal Iron Fist. Wow... Nothing more needs to be said. That art...! Where do I go from here? Trades, digital? What's the best way to appreciate these wonders?

Acid08

Banned
Iron Fist:

First three volumes are available on comixology. The last two volumes are single issue only. Bru/Fraction/Aja are the team on the first three volumes. That story ends but sets up the next arc, which is also worth reading of you dig the story.

The first four trades are available on Amazon readily but the fifth isn't. Might be on instocktrades? Would probably be cheaper overall to buy the physical trades.

But yeah both of those books are amazing, you're in for a good time.

Iron Fist:

First three volumes are available on comixology. The last two volumes are single issue only. Bru/Fraction/Aja are the team on the first three volumes. That story ends but sets up the next arc, which is also worth reading of you dig the story.

The first four trades are available on Amazon readily but the fifth isn't. Might be on instocktrades? Would probably be cheaper overall to buy the physical trades.

So glad I bought the omnibus back when it was 40 dollars. I had to read the whole thing twice to truly appreciate the whole thing.

frye

Yeah, the omni is a much better presentation of the comic than the trades. Those flashback issues/annuals/specials work much better interspersed between the longer arcs than as their own thing.

I just checked ebay and Amazon, $125 is the cheapest one available on either of those now.

That third trade is garbage though. It's 15, 16, the two flash back issues, and the Origin of Danny Rand issue.

It's a damn shame ultimate collections are good alternatives they should make some for the Matt Fraction Iron Fist run. The Grant Morrison New X-men and Brian Michael Bendis Daredevil collections I own are good quality.

Iron Fist:

Can't recommend this more. Seriously great read-one of the best all time runs ever and made me an Iron Fist fan for life.

monome

Snyder was eager to address the concern of longtime Batman readers and not just Snyder devotees. He hears the concerns. He hears the anxiety. “This is us doing something that really matters to us, that’s different. We want to take a page from the guys we admire the most. For me, that’s Grant Morrison and Frank Miller. Guys who are constantly fearless. We might not be able to achieve what they’ve achieved, but at least we can go out knowing that we tried to be as brave as they are, issue to issue.”

After two goods arcs that neither brought anything new nor substantial, I'm still willing to follow Snyder's Batman but he needs to deliver something meaningfull this time, otherwise it's talent wasted.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey guys, what are some good superhero comics for a 10 year old? Just got asked the question and I was like, errrrrr... all the comics I can think of get really fucked up.

Top of my head I came up with Ultimate Spider-Man and Runaways. Maybe something big and splashy like Batman Hush? All Star Superman maybe, but I think he'd miss the subtleties (although I also gave this book to a 5 year old and it's his favourite thing ever. He likes Lex's neice Nasty lol)

He's a smart kid and likes stuff like Jack Ryder (which is how he got interested in comics).

Troll

Banned
Hey guys, what are some good superhero comics for a 10 year old? Just got asked the question and I was like, errrrrr... all the comics I can think of get really fucked up.

Top of my head I came up with Ultimate Spider-Man and Runaways. Maybe something big and splashy like Batman Hush? All Star Superman maybe, but I think he'd miss the subtleties (although I also gave this book to a 5 year old and it's his favourite thing ever. He likes Lex's neice Nasty lol)

He's a smart kid and likes stuff like Jack Ryder (which is how he got interested in comics).

Why can't he just read Liefeld and be happy?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
After two goods arcs that neither brought anything new nor substantial, I'm still willing to follow Snyder's Batman but he needs to deliver something meaningfull this time, otherwise it's talent wasted.

What's wrong with a good Batman story? Cos that's what Owls and Family were. Really good stories that kept me on the edge of my seat. So fucking what if they didn't Change Everything Forever(tm)? There are a hundred other batbooks telling shitty Batman stories, we should be grateful that we have one that is actually good.

All the talk about Snyder should have killed Damian are a bit gross too. Ignoring the fact that Damian wasn't his character to kill, he's a 10 year old, it's weird when people say a story didn't matter because a little kid didn't die in it.

I think it was plenty enough that Joker undermined the family's confidence in Bruce. It didn't need to be a murder-spree.

Aaron

Atomic Robo. Fun and strange, but not fucked up.

monome

What's wrong with a good Batman story? Cos that's what Owls and Family were. Really good stories that kept me on the edge of my seat. So fucking what if they didn't Change Everything Forever(tm)? There are a hundred other batbooks telling shitty Batman stories, we should be grateful that we have one that is actually good.

All the talk about Snyder should have killed Damian are a bit gross too. Ignoring the fact that Damian wasn't his character to kill, he's a 10 year old, it's weird when people say a story didn't matter because a little kid didn't die in it.

I think it was plenty enough that Joker undermined the family's confidence in Bruce. It didn't need to be a murder-spree.

I both agree and disagree.

yes, Snyder's stories are good. And it's the only non Morrison Batbook I've enjoyed.
no, after years of Morrison doing good CRAZY, Snyder's methodical approach is nice, YET, it IMO greatly suffers from DC's decision to reallocate Batman to Gotham 100%, and he is not in position to assume stewardship of the character due to DC's control.
So, he makes good stories, but after years of Morrison building and playing with characters, I'm not happy with every Snyder's story not moving the status-quo forward.

I'm probably spoiled after years of wild rides with Morrison.
and fuck DC's management.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I both agree and disagree.

yes, Snyder's stories are good. And it's the only non Morrison Batbook I've enjoyed.
no, after years of Morrison doing good CRAZY, Snyder's methodical approach is nice, YET, it IMO greatly suffers from DC's decision to reallocate Batman to Gotham 100%, and he is not in position to assume stewardship of the character due to DC's control.
So, he makes good stories, but after years of Morrison building and playing with characters, I'm not happy with every Snyder's story not moving the status-quo forward.

I'm probably spoiled after years of wild rides with Morrison.
and fuck DC's management.

Yeah, we have very much been spoiled by Morrison I think, there aren't many other writers with that sheer sense of scope and consequence. but the status quo is always adhered to, that's comics. Even Morrison is carefully putting the toys back in the box before he's finished.

Cetra

I'll never understand the love for Morrison. He's okay, but I've never read anything I would call great from him. He might have scope but it means squat if you can't get great stories out of it. Or maybe I've just read the wrong stuff from him. I dunno. But he's highly overrated IMO.

Goddamnit. The main Marvel Now series(Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men) tainted me with their free digital copy in every printed issue. Every printed issue should get a code for the digital copy. Perfect world.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'll never understand the love for Morrison. He's okay, but I've never read anything I would call great from him. He might have scope but it means squat if you can't get great stories out of it. Or maybe I've just read the wrong stuff from him. I dunno. But he's highly overrated IMO.

No, you're wrong.

EDIT: less of a cunty answer. Top of my head:

Invisibles
Batman
New X-Men
JL fuckin A
All Star Superman
We3
Animal Man
Doom Patrol

Yeah you're right, he doesn't write good stories at all
he writes THE BEST stories haha

also, what do you define as 'great'?

Goddamnit. The main Marvel Now series(Avengers, Thor, Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men) tainted me with their free digital copy in every printed issue. Every printed issue should get a code for the digital copy. Perfect world.

Do you REALLY use the digital copy then? I barely find time to read most comics once, the majority of weekly comics I'll never read again ever, let alone reading them twice in different mediums.

Am I the outlier or are you? :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
No, you're wrong.
image.php

Yep.

I got to know his work with WE3 and New X-Men, so there was no way I wouldn't become a fan. It was Morrison that got me back into superhero comics too after years, I was reading New X-Men and I was like "well damn this is way more interesting than most of the crap I was reading in the 90s". Followed that with Whedon's Astonishing and the rest is history.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
image.php

Yep.

I got to know his work with WE3 and New X-Men, so there was no way I wouldn't become a fan. It was Morrison that got me back into superhero comics too after years, I was reading New X-Men and I was like "well damn this is way more interesting than most of the crap I was reading in the 90s". Followed that with Whedon's Astonishing and the rest is history.

ha, I really should change my avatar so I'm not so readily identifiable as a Moz fanboy...

Honestly, he's one of the few comics writers whose superhero work actually connects with me on a human level, rather than being stories about men with BIG MUSCLES hitting each other HARD. And even when he does the fighty fighty he does it better than anyone. His JLA run is entirely unmatched (especially when you consider DC1million as part of that run), it's massive and thrilling from start to end.

Do you REALLY use the digital copy then? I barely find time to read most comics once, the majority of weekly comics I'll never read again ever, let alone reading them twice in different mediums.

Am I the outlier or are you? :p
At the moment, no. But I would if I had a device where the Comixology app is available. But true, the main reason will be sharing between my big brother and a close friend.

Cetra

also, what do you define as 'great'?

Astonishing X-Men by Whedon.
The Long Halloween
Year One
Batman and Robin (New 52)

That's all I can think of this time of day. To be clear, I don't think Morrison is bad, he definitely better than many superhero writers. I just don't get the seemingly rabid fanboyism around him. Or maybe it's just that I read so much in the past few weeks trying to catch up. From R.I.P. all the way through to current on New 52 Batman and Batman and Robin. I dunno, I just wasn't as impressed with Morrison's Batman work as I have been with Snyder/Capullo and Tomasi/Gleason.

Anyway, because of the Marvel 700 free issues, I read the first Hawkeye comic. I ordered every of them now to continue the story. Goddamnit that story was heartwarming. :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
At the moment, no. But I would if I had a device where the Comixology app is available. But true, the main reason will be sharing between my big brother and a close friend.

So you're contributing to COMICS PIRACY?? O I C... :D

Astonishing X-Men by Whedon.
The Long Halloween
Year One
Batman and Robin (New 52)

That's all I can think of this time of day. To be clear, I don't think Morrison is bad, he definitely better than many superhero writers. I just don't get the seemingly rabid fanboyism around him. Or maybe it's just that I read so much in the past few weeks trying to catch up. From R.I.P. all the way through to current on New 52 Batman and Batman and Robin. I dunno, I just wasn't as impressed with Morrison's Batman work as I have been with Snyder/Capullo and Tomasi/Gleason.

With the exception of Year One (which was super duper groundbreaking at the time), I'd say those stories are simply really good, but none of them are doing anything really interesting with the medium. Whedon's X-run is def one of my favourites but when you think about it, he's really just doing a classic Claremontian X-Men story while playing in the sandbox that Morrison helped to create (specifically when it comes to Emma and Cyke). Long Halloween is pretty good but also falls prey to Loeb's quirks and is pretty shallow (but very pretty nonetheless). And Nu52 B&R is the definition of a B-level comic.

I give Morrison a lot of credit because it's clear that he's trying to push the characters forward inch by inch which isn't something that most other writers even aspire to, let alone can actually pull off. His Batman run is incredible - pulling the entire publishing history into continuity to form one man's crazy life, that's genius. I think he's one of the few people who has taken the batman and robin(s) relationship and recontextualised them as brothers rather than two superheroes doing superhero stuff, giving us the dynamic we have today (or rather, had. Thanks Snyder! lol). In fact, I'd say he's one of the few writers who has actually treated Bruce Wayne like a person rather than a vehicle to tell action stories through, that in itself was a massive step forward. Who is this man? You don't get that from Loeb or even Miller. He's a grim cypher and nothing more in those stories.

Anyway, I shall try and stop defending him now, the work speaks for itself imo.

ElNarez

Banned

Really, this obsession nerds have with big and important and substantial stories changing the status quo for ever is part of Everything Wrong With Modern Comics. It's okay if this time, no one dies or gets his face cut off or gets his brain rewritten to be his worst enemy. A story can be great without radically changing a character, and Snyder's Batman is pretty good proof of that.

Cetra

Really, this obsession nerds have with big and important and substantial stories changing the status quo for ever is part of Everything Wrong With Modern Comics. It's okay if this time, no one dies or gets his face cut off or gets his brain rewritten to be his worst enemy. A story can be great without radically changing a character, and Snyder's Batman is pretty good proof of that.

I agree, I loved Death of the Family because it stayed grounded and was much more subtle and psychological in how Joker damaged Batman. I plan on reading it again soon to see if I enjoy it as much, but as of this moment it's probably my favorite portrayal of Joker. Mostly because I completely agreed with his point. The Family, and his reliance on them, gave Batman too many weaknesses. Honestly it felt like some kind of a vile evil episode of Intervention which I loved about it. All the Joker is saying is I love you Bats, and I want you to be the best you can be. Brilliant.

Jedeye Sniv said:
I give Morrison a lot of credit because it's clear that he's trying to push the characters forward inch by inch which isn't something that most other writers even aspire to, let alone can actually pull off. His Batman run is incredible - pulling the entire publishing history into continuity to form one man's crazy life, that's genius. I think he's one of the few people who has taken the batman and robin(s) relationship and recontextualised them as brothers rather than two superheroes doing superhero stuff, giving us the dynamic we have today (or rather, had. Thanks Snyder! lol). In fact, I'd say he's one of the few writers who has actually treated Bruce Wayne like a person rather than a vehicle to tell action stories through, that in itself was a massive step forward. Who is this man? You don't get that from Loeb or even Miller. He's a grim cypher and nothing more in those stories.

I can understand enjoying seeing character pushed. But going so far as to call it genius is a bit much. I think coming out of the hell that was 90's comics may have helped Morrison a lot more than his writing by simply being better than almost 100% of what came before it.

I'll just have to flatly disagree with you on the shot at Tomasi's Batman and Robin. Over that arc Batman/Bruce Wayne and Damian humanize the hell out of each other. All three characters grow in meaningful ways. Morrison's portrayal of Damian had it's moments. "I'm now a vegetarian" was classic. Loved it. But I don't feel like he ever really grew out of just being an angry child under Morrison. Tomasi kept his edge while bringing some humanity to that kid, which he needed and in doing so re humanized Batman to a large degree. To write that off a B Comic schlock is a mistake IMO. I honestly feel that way Damian's death was handled was kind of insulting. Seemed overly brutal for the sake of being brutal. The awful art didn't help it much either.

But hey, who gives a shit so long as we enjoy what we're reading. Keep buyin' so they can keep making em I say. After all, they're just comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom