• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

are any of you guys full on digital w/tablet now?

im asking cause im entertaining the idea of getting a tablet just to read comics. Sadly it would have to be a 7 inch one I think but it might be enough

I havent been reading shit lately cause paperback here is so bad. Too expensive and everything comes out late, and in spanish :(

tim1138

im asking cause im entertaining the idea of getting a tablet just to read comics. Sadly it would have to be a 7 inch one I think but it might be enough

I havent been reading shit lately cause paperback here is so bad. Too expensive and everything comes out late, and in spanish :(

I'm fully digital on a Kindle Fire (the original with a 7" screen) and love it. Comixology's guided view reading blows the panels up nice and big on the screen, even doing full page view it's perfectly readable outside of double page spreads.

I use my Ipad 2 when I redeem my digital codes from Marvel and it works fine with Comixology's guided reader.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

I read everything on my tablet, prefer it to reading the actual physical book. Was wondering how the smaller tablets would work as the regular iPad is a little too big.

Ephemeris

Yeah, Brave and the Bold is good fun.

Probably watched 2 eps of GL, looking forward to it hitting Netflix.

Met Francesco Francavilla today. Great guy.

Still floppy but I redeem my digital codes on my iPad. For Hawkeye, which doesn't have a digital code, I have been double-dipping by buying off Comixology.

MartyStu

WHAT THE FLIPPING FUCK!!!

So I purchased all 6 issues of "Thor, God of Thunder" after reading the first and realizing how amazing this series looked to be.

Issues 1-5 were outstanding. Both the story and the art in perfect form.

Then comes issue 6 and both of them nosedive. Ugh.

WHAT THE FLIPPING FUCK!!!

So I purchased all 6 issues of "Thor, God of Thunder" after reading the first and realizing how amazing this series looked to be.

Issues 1-5 were outstanding. Both the story and the art in perfect form.

Then comes issue 6 and both of them nosedive. Ugh.

Why do you feel this way?

Onemic

Whens is the Marvel Now free sale gonna come back on? I tried going to Comixology and marvel digital during the day they were doing it and couldn't even access the site. They later said they shut the whole thing down and would bring back later. Any more info on when this will be?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is there some list to bring order to the AoU main issues and tie-ins? This is so confusing.

edit: Thanks, sol_bad!

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I'd been getting digital with the intention of getting a Nexus 7 to read them on, but I might hold out for a few months as there's rumours of an updated Nexus tablet with a higher resolution screen coming out of the Google I/O event. I'd hold off for that, or get an iPad 3 I guess. Depends on your preference. I've seen comics on the Nexus 7 and they look fine currently, so a 7 inch tablet with a more "retina" display would be ideal.

I'm transitioning to digital archiving at least. I'll never stop supporting a local comic book store as long as I have a good one close by, but thanks to Marvel's extraordinary digital program, I can do both. There's definitely a shift starting towards digital on stuff that doesn't come with codes. Right now Fearless Defenders is my first digital only book.

Usually what I do is use the sales to "clean out" my physical archive. Just dropped off another few boxes of coded and replaced comics at the local library. I do this about twice a year now. Some lucky librarian is going to read Age Of Ultron #2 for free, a book I got like four days ago lol.

I've always been digital.

Oh, and I suggest a 10".

Digital comics need to go DRM free like music has.

Digital comics need to be cheaper. Way cheaper. So dumb that I can buy them for less as physical copies. 2.99 on comixology? My store sells them to me for 2.00-2.25 for in store pull list discount. Comixology should at least do a "pull list" that locks in book sales but discounts them.

Older books need to be dirt cheap. The average cost of the books in my old school legion collection is like, 0.10 to 0.50 cents.

Digital comics need to go DRM free like music has.

Digital comics need to be cheaper. Way cheaper. So dumb that I can buy them for less as physical copies. 2.99 on comixology? My store sells them to me for 2.00-2.25

Older books need to be dirt cheap. The average cost of the books in my old school legion collection is like, 0.10 to 0.50 cents.

With digital comics though you're paying the exact worth of the actual creative work, undiminished by fading colors or paper. A 20 year old prisitne recreation of a comic should not be held to same cost standards of a falling apart 20 year old floppy.

That's ludicrous and, most importantly, insulting to the work of Contemporary Master Keith Giffen.

With digital comics though you're paying the exact worth of the actual creative work, undiminished by fading colors or paper. A 20 year old prisitne recreation of a comic should not be held to same cost standards of a falling apart 20 year old floppy.

That's ludicrous and, most importantly, insulting to the work of Contemporary Master Keith Giffen.

I'll make high quality scans of every book I buy. DIGITAL MASTERY. :O

And fuck Keith Giffen. Come back for two issues and then bounce? WHERE IS MY SATISFACTION???

Owzers

Marvel Unlimited has the Maleev/Bendis/Maleev Spider-Woman 7 issue mini, i liked the first issue.

So far i've tackled the patsy walker hellcat minis in the Marvel Presents anthology, Magneto Testament full mini, Marvel Zombies returns 2-5 since they didn't have the first issue ( there were zombies), and starting Fraction's Mighty Thor which i am advised to abandon.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I read comics on a full sized iPad and sometimes find it too small, so I'd say a 7" is too little. Try reading a bendis comic on one of those, double page spreads would suck. And don't gimme that smart-view zooming bullshit, you need to see the whole page to read comics properly.

I read comics on a full sized iPad and sometimes find it too small, so I'd say a 7" is too little. Try reading a bendis comic on one of those, double page spreads would suck. And don't gimme that smart-view zooming bullshit, you need to see the whole page to read comics properly.

yeah smartview suxxx.

I'm okay on double spreads on my ipad tho

Splatt

So I love Mike Allred's art. What else had he done? Madman worth reading?

Of recent stuff (besides his work on FF) he did Daredevil #17.

prv13090_pg2.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=13090

sca2511

I use my Nexus 7 to read digital exclusives and singles. I was going with floppies at first, but noticed that it's going to take up a lot of room in the future. I usually get floppies now if I love the art or if they are older key issues. Other than that, it usually goes Trade > Digital > Floppy.

Every time I accompany my GF to the LCS for her Adventure Time variants, I look at all the floppies and feel like going back to them.

Yeah, there are times when I think the 7" is too small and I feel that maybe the iPad might be too small if reading by page. I'm considering getting a Win8 laptop that converts to a tablet mode just for the bigger screen size.

Yeah, there are times when I think the 7" is too small and I feel that maybe the iPad might be too small if reading by page. I'm considering getting a Win8 laptop that converts to a tablet mode just for the bigger screen size.

I'm thinking of getting into digital too. Worth it? It gets a bit tiring making the trip to the old comic shop every week.

68.75 on instocktrades.com with free shipping i think since it's over $50.

Indeed. And they don't charge tax either (unless you live in like, Idaho or something).

Lombaszko

My local shop had a huge sale, $1 on all back issues. I picked up New 52 Phantom Stranger 0-6 and most of the Brian Azzarello Wonder Woman (which I stopped getting after 6). The only thing, they didn't have issues 7, 9, and 12. I went to several other shops this weekend, which was fun but after the third place didn't have them I broke down and went to eBay. Luckily, one seller had all three.
I love the hunt for complete runs and specific issues, kind of like yard sailing! But after spending more than enough in gas, I just want the darn issues.

Anyone know of a better online retailer with bigger selection of back issues? I used TFAW.com before but a lot of what I've seen is on backorder. It just kills me to pay $2-$3 bucks per issue on shipping.

Speaking of Phantom Stranger, it really is night and day in quality since J.M. Dematteis took co-writer credits, so I'm hyped for him running the whole show soon, with Didio dropping out.

Lombaszko

Speaking of Phantom Stranger, it really is night and day in quality since J.M. Dematteis took co-writer credits, so I'm hyped for him running the whole show soon, with Didio dropping out.

That's what my shop owner said too, I'm excited to get to his issues. Plus, Gene Ha drew the latest issue and might be doing another later on! I love that guy.

drkOne

I rarely buy paper anymore.
I had a iPad 2 before, it was decent for comics, I imagine 3 or 4 would be even nicer looking.

I bought a Nexus 7 this christmas after trying Comixology on the store. It really surprised me I could read the text without zooming in, and I was looking for a smaller/lighter/cheaper tablet anyway.

Comixology is pretty nice, it has everything I wanna buy on the exact time it comes out. I'm from Portugal so buying singles usually meant being 2+ weeks late.

It's not the same feel as paper, but the comfort wins in my opinion.

sca2511

I'm thinking of getting into digital too. Worth it? It gets a bit tiring making the trip to the old comic shop every week.

It's worth it if you can deal with not having the physical book. I'm still flip flopping on the idea, but as of right now with my limited storage space, digital seems to be the better choice. I still get trades for the bookshelf, love them on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom