• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
You buttholes are turning on Hickman now because Avengers is plodding along? And you're not even reading Manhattan Projects, shaking my damn head.

i've always been bored by hickman. he used to be relatively unimportant and working away on fantastic four and some series about leonardo davinci, but now he's running the 2 biggest books and the summer event. zzzz

ReiGun

I haven't turned on him, but Avengers is moving slow as fuck. The Smasher and Hyperion issues were the best.

New Avengers is hot, though.

Nesotenso

You buttholes are turning on Hickman now because Avengers is plodding along? And you're not even reading Manhattan Projects, shaking my damn head.

Hickman's Fantastic Four was great and I like his world building in Avengers . If you don't like long form story telling then the two main Avengers books aren't for you.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
are any of you guys full on digital w/tablet now?

I made the transition to digital recently (for everything except Archie). My shop was 40 minutes away and I had to pay 9% Tennessee sales tax there. No regrets, except the occasional double page spread that i have to zoom in on. Not a big deal.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Anyone know of a better online retailer with bigger selection of back issues? I used TFAW.com before but a lot of what I've seen is on backorder. It just kills me to pay $2-$3 bucks per issue on shipping.

Midtown has a pretty wide selection and free shipping if you spend $75.

Gartooth

I admit I am not enjoying Avengers due to it's slow pace but I'm sticking with the book regardless because of the supposed payoff. New Avengers however I am having a great time reading, and so far the story has me captivated.

kswiston

Hickman's Fantastic Four was great and I like his world building in Avengers . If you don't like long form story telling then the two main Avengers books aren't for you.

Totally depends on what you want from a comic. If you like snappy dialogue and some cool action sequences, then I can definitely see someone not liking Hickman. His writing is not witty like Fraction's or Gillen's. His books do have cool action sequences, but they also go on long and seemingly unimportant tangents that don't pay off for months. Like when he turned FF into a Blackbolt solo book for a couple of months when the character had never even been in his run prior to that. The Blackbolt stuff was eventually awesome, but at the time I wondered why he was taking the spotlight off of Doom and the other villains that Reed had gathered to work with the Future Foundation.

I will say that New Avengers seems to be the book he would prefer to write if given the choice between the two.

I admit I am not enjoying Avengers due to it's slow pace but I'm sticking with the book regardless because of the supposed payoff. New Avengers however I am having a great time reading, and so far the story has me captivated.

If you think Avengers is slow paced then you need to see Geoff Johns Justice League where like 18 issues in and things are only starting to pick up now.

So I remember years ago that Bendis was kind of teasing that Hawkeye had superpowers, I guess went nowhere?

To be more specific Clint was subdued by a power inhibitor when the New Avengers fought the Dark Avengers and he lifted a car with one arm during one of the first few new Avengers arcs in the Heroic Age.

kswiston

I'll remember all of these posts when everyone is losing their shit at Avengers in a year.

you get it

Fantastic Four started off with a bigger bang. I really liked the three solo issues of Avengers, but that first three part arc was pretty slow. No doubt it will all pay off though.

Eh. I don't read Avengers, and I've always been pretty meh on Manhattan Projects. Yes, I find it average at best. I like the covers, though.

But I'm psyched for East of West.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I like Avengers but Hickman really comes across as a wannabe Grant Morrison to me. He seems to try to hard to write big epic complicated weird stuff.

Hickman is so much more elegant at writing his big epic complicated weird stuff. Morrison has done some fantastic stuff in his time, but a lot of it is weird for weirdness sake.

All comic writers need to read Batman and Robins last issue. I'm looking at you Hickman and Scott Syder.
Not to start anything (well, maybe a little), but what are you suggesting they learn from it? B&R #18 was the equivalent of ordering one more drink for the drunk, horny girl making bedroom eyes at you from across the bar.

Dysun

New Avengers is one of the best books from the relaunch, but every issue I think about dropping Avengers. Long term building has to engage me right away or I'll lose interest and I have

V_Arnold

Hickman is awesome. He is spiritual behind all the tech-talk, and that just warms my heart. And he is very subtle with how he is going around these matters. I almost cant believe that Marvel editors let him do his stuff on Avengers instead of FF.

I still have chills going down on my spine when it comes to his FF Johnny resurrection...
Everything dies? No. Everything lives!

arkon

I picked up the first issues of Avengers and New Avengers for the Skottie Young variant covers. I will eventually grab the run in an omnibus or something. The same as I'm doing with Fantastic Four. I can wait for that.

Manhattan Projects I'm pulling monthly and it's been most enjoyable. Don't regret that one bit.

Owzers

Recommend me some stuff to read please

pt3-1.jpg

Best comic book ever.

arkon

Recommend me some stuff to read please

Preacher
Sandman
Fables
Chew
Sweet Tooth
American Vampire
Planetary
DC: The New Frontier
Hawkeye
X-Factor (starting with the Madrox miniseries)
Daredevil (the recent Mark Waid run is a good jumping on point)
Atomic Robo
Prophet
Dial H
Powers
Queen & Country
Animal Man (Grant Morrison's run)

have a read of the synopses for those and see what tickles your fancy

Only vaguely related to comics; But I love that, as I looked at the Nextwave Ultimate Collection on Amazon, this little gem was on it:

Looking for the Audiobook Edition?
Tell us that you'd like this title to be produced as an audiobook, and we'll alert our colleagues at Audible.com.

Why yes, yes Amazon, I think I *would* like to hear Dirk Anger and Elsa Bloodstone in audiobook format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom