• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a big grain.

I kind of wish, just for moments like this, that Bleeding Cool was a Daily Newsy broadsheet out every day, or he ran his site like Drudge just so he could run this story with a big

THE LOSER

That would be incredible. Can we make this site? Drudge is probably the easiest site in the world to copy.

I got the first Hawkguy-tpb in the mail today. I've never read a simple chapter of it, so I'm basically a virgin with the franchise. I just ordered it blind because of the overt praise it was receiving in here and because it just seemed like a kickass-comic :D So, after hitting reply, I'm heading to my comfy couch to indulge myself. Excited.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I got the first Hawkguy-tpb in the mail today. I've never read a simple chapter of it, so I'm basically a virgin with the franchise. I just ordered it blind because of the overt praise it was receiving in here and because it just seemed like a kickass-comic :D So, after hitting reply, I'm heading to my comfy couch to indulge myself. Excited.

Awesome, the recommendations on here got me to check it out on Comixology, really pleased that I did. I was in the same position you are/were so I'm glad people are talking it up because it's great.

The BKV/Martin comic is called The Private Eye and you can pay whatever price you what for the first issue (I assume all are like this) on panelsyndicate.com. There will be ten issues.

tpeye_0.jpg

Haven't been able to buy the comic as there's a problem with their Paypal account, apparently. Will try again in a little while.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

so excited for you

Awesome, the recommendations on here got me to check it out on Comixology, really pleased that I did. I was in the same position you are/were so I'm glad people are talking it up because it's great.

Haven't been able to buy the comic as there's a problem with their Paypal account, apparently. Will try again in a little while.

Beat says it's fixed now, heard it from BKV hisself.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Beat says it's fixed now, heard it from BKV hisself.

And bought. Downloading now!

So there's no physical release for that book?

On the FAQ section:

How soon will this thing be available in print?

Sorry, we don’t currently have plans for THE PRIVATE EYE to ever appear in print. We still love paper comics, especially the retailers who sell them, but this is something different.

You could take all the PDFs and eventually get them printed at a printer if you cared that much, right?

C'mon son.

I am simply voicing my disapproval of digital only. I buy several titles that are digital first (which I have no issue with) in their print formats.

Edit: Although I do approve of the DRM free. Typing digital comics to accounts is grade-A bullshit. Even the music industry has learned.

Owzers

what's the best format to get it in if going to an ipad? I downloaded an app called comicbooklovers despite it making me seem like i'm going to do inappropriate things to comics, it reads cbz and cbr files.

It's a little scary that a BKV/Martin comic isn't a hyped print release though. I hope it comes out in an oversized hardcover :p

wetflame

Pizza Dog
C'mon son.

I am simply voicing my disapproval of digital only. I buy several titles that are digital first (which I have no issue with) in their print formats.
Didn't you learn anything from Birdie? The content's the thing, bro. If it's worth it, it's worth it. Why deny them their creativity based on how it hits your eyes?

(Obviously I'm joshing you. It's A-OK if you only like physical stuff)

what's the best format to get it in if going to an ipad? I downloaded an app called comicbooklovers despite it making me seem like i'm going to do inappropriate things to comics, it reads cbz and cbr files.
PDF and read in iBooks?

Owzers

I'm glad i was able to download both the pdf and cbz files so i didn't have to choose. :O

Will read tonight...paid $1. Was debating lower but oh well.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
what the fuck?

That some spoiler? When did this happen?

A couple of weeks ago (aka forever ago :p). Welcome to the internet!

So has Morrison explained anything in regards to Damian (and Knight) death/killing off?

He talked a little bit about it on Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast. There's a five minute chunk of him talking specifically about it on the first part of the recent Geoff Johns interview. Basically, he's sad but it's part of the story, and just wait to see how he wraps it up.

Kwixotik

I decided to wait on reading Chew and started on Preacher instead. Thanks for the recommendations. Also, if I want to read Swamp Thing, which run is best?

Tizoc

^Alan Moore's of course~ The current series is good as well I hear.

what the fuck?

That some spoiler? When did this happen?

^_^; I thought everyone knew this by now, I didn't know til I read Inc. #8.

He talked a little bit about it on Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast. There's a five minute chunk of him talking specifically about it on the first part of the recent Geoff Johns interview. Basically, he's sad but it's part of the story, and just wait to see how he wraps it up.

Just revive them Morrison, killing characters off like this fucking pointless and moot; STOP KILLING FUN CHARACTERS!

I have this major Superman story arc I've been thinking up and it now involves the big bad using a revived Damian in a plot have Batman kill Superman.
This is just the basic concept in paper, I'd need to enter the Morrison area of comic book writing in order to have it come out right.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I decided to wait on reading Chew and started on Preacher instead. Thanks for the recommendations. Also, if I want to read Swamp Thing, which run is best?

Preacher is great but boo! Read Chew too!

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is the one to read, btw.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
^Alan Moore's of course~ The current series is good as well I hear.

^_^; I thought everyone knew this by now, I didn't know til I read Inc. #8.

Just revive them Morrison, killing characters off like this fucking pointless and moot; STOP KILLING FUN CHARACTERS!

I don't follow your logic - Damian, as a fictional character in Morrison's opus, was created entirely to die. That is the character's purpose in the story Morrison is telling. Wait till it's done to see if he makes it a worthwhile sacrifice, but I don't have any problem with characters being killed if it's in the service of the story - especially a story like this with a single author and a definite beginning, middle and end (even if DC's trade program makes it hard to figure out which bit goes where!)

Tizoc

I don't follow your logic - Damian, as a fictional character in Morrison's opus, was created entirely to die. That is the character's purpose in the story Morrison is telling. Wait till it's done to see if he makes it a worthwhile sacrifice, but I don't have any problem with characters being killed if it's in the service of the story - especially a story like this with a single author and a definite beginning, middle and end (even if DC's trade program makes it hard to figure out which bit goes where!)

Except that I see no reason for Damian to be killed off, and that he's an interesting character that has managed to get some good stories written featuring him.
...but I'll wait as you suggested, heck for all I know
Damian faked his death to trick his mother @_@

Tizoc

^Aside from her main series, she appeared in Outsiders which was written by Chuck Dixon, and I personally liked her characterization in it.

Chris Sims declares 'Injustice: Gods Among Us' tie-in comic an early frontrunner for worst comic of 2013 (Comics Alliance)

So... when ComicGAF gushed over this series, it was in a "so bad it's good" kind of way? Because that all sounds pretty damn awful.

Grayson was training with Damian and used the follow words: "Sticky-outy bits", that should give you an idea on why it's considered so bad.

Owzers

Will try the first issue of PrivateEye very sad its not in print.

The Afterword was hilarious:

" When I told Marcos I was thinking about a comic set in the futuristic U.S. that no longer used the internet, his first suggestion was that we should make the story exclusively available online.

This is what it's like collaborating with Marcos Martin."

I do wish it were in print too just for the message it sends being online. If BKV and Martin can't rake in the money through print with this, what does it say about print? :(

frye

The Afterword was hilarious:
I do wish it were in print too just for the message it sends being online. If BKV and Martin can't rake in the money through print with this, what does it say about print? :(

Saga is outselling a few Marvel/DC comics at the moment. I'm sure BKV and Martin could have done this through Image or whatever and still make money - this is an experiment.

Chris Sims declares 'Injustice: Gods Among Us' tie-in comic an early frontrunner for worst comic of 2013 (Comics Alliance)

So... when ComicGAF gushed over this series, it was in a "so bad it's good" kind of way? Because that all sounds pretty damn awful.

This guy thinks Identity Crisis is the worst DC storyline ever? Really? His opinion officially invalidated. Oh, and here is a choice quote.

I'm comfortable saying that it's one of the single dumbest stories about DC Comics characters ever written, up to and including the entire contents of FanFiction.net

Uh. OK.

Also, he gets entire story beats wrong. Did this tool even read the series? Yeah, it's not the best ever, but for a video game tie in its surprisingly good.

He doesn't even make the connection that it's basically a retelling of the Justice Lords concept.

I wish I could take my click back.

FoneBone

The BKV/Martin comic is called The Private Eye and you can pay whatever price you what for the first issue (I assume all are like this) on panelsyndicate.com. There will be ten issues.

tpeye_0.jpg

How much does each issue cost?

That's entirely up to you. Here in the States, full-length comics usually cost at least three bucks, but we think 99 cents is a pretty fair asking price for our new issues. Whatever you decide, 100% of your purchase price will go towards helping us complete our story, so thanks!

Also, in the case you decide to pay anything, you'll be given the choice to include a message to the authors. We may end up using some of those in our letter column next issue, so please, let us know if it's okay to use your real name.
Gosh, what a disgusting attitude towards comics creators!

GrandHarrier: Oh my god, Chris Sims as "this tool"? Ahahahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom