• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read ComicsAlliance more. He's one of the best comics writers around.

I don't know about that. He comes across as sort of a ... Jim Sterling of Comic Books. Like, he doesn't seem to understand some very basic points;

1) He is talking about a video game tie in comic. While it'd be great if they were up there with some of the more iconic runs, reality checks in and suggests that maybe you tone down your expectations a bit.

2) For a video game tie in its actually surprisingly good. As in, you aren't expecting some of the stuff that it does, and it had some genuine surprise! moments.

3) Did I mention the quote where he suggests this is worse than all of the fanfiction on fanfiction.net? Hyperbole much?

4) He labels Identity Crisis as the previous "Worst Comic Ever"? Lol? Really? Don't get me wrong. IC has issues. But its a decent book otherwise. There are much, much worse, and if ones opinion is that IC is literally the worst comic ever your opinion of coherence and storyline is... ah... skewed.

5) He finds it incredulous that certain events happen. Events that happen in comic books. All the time. Dude. It's comic books. That shit happens. Without spoiling anything, he questions how someone survives something that'd kill most people. As if comic book characters have never done that. Like. Ever. >_>

Dude, it's just his opinion. Injustice is pretty damn bad, video-game tie-in or not.

Hey, I'm just responding to being called out for thinking this guys article was pretty weak. Opinions are great. But the gentlements entire reasoning is because it has comic book tropes. Like, as in, how did X character do Y thing, when Y thing is something that happens in every comic book ever. He must hate all comic books if he finds fault with those sort of things. The instant you are wondering how the Joker did something or questioning how people are surviving certain things, you are going to have to look at all comics a whole lot differently.

FoneBone

While we're on the subject, a pretty good critique of Identity Crisis is here. Not the same writer, though.

Identity Crisis" would be better named Maturity Crisis. At its core is a harsh struggle between the contradictory impulses to both fetishize the past and move into the future. The book relies on an affection for and fascination with up to 70 years of superhero comics, but spends the bulk of the time showing you the "ugly truth" behind those comics of yesteryear.

Charming flourishes of superheroic behavior are revealed to be narcissistically engineered for publicity. Brutal rapes take place behind the scenes, between the adventures. Goofy, dumb villains are explained to have had their minds and personalities telepathically violated and altered to be that way. Everything in Identity Crisis is designed as an excuse for adults who are secretly embarrassed by their love of superheroes. "Sure," it says, "We know superhero comics used to be all Biff Bam Pow, but here are very serious and adult reasons why they seemed that way, and all the serious and adult things that were going on behind the scenes. Serious. Adult."...

"Identity Crisis" opens with a caption that reads, "Thirty Minutes Till Now." It is a declaration: you are in the past. I will bring you to the now. And it does. Among the images that are captioned as "Now" are a tombstone, an old hand clutching a newspaper, and the burned and disfigured corpse of a pregnant woman. "Identity Crisis" is the embodiment of all of the worst aspects of current super-hero comics. Welcome to the now.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
What were the criticisms of Identity Crisis when it was published? I read it once in 05 and don't remember much except Ralph Dibny crying a lot.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
While we're on the subject, a pretty good critique of Identity Crisis is here. Not the same writer, though.

i dont think modern comics encompass the bad aspects of indentity crisis. modern comics are still pretty good in that regard for the most part.

This comic is an Injustice to the stuff that changed my life inside my copies Fear Itself and AvX!

/reads that comic about Captain America sitting down and standing

What were the criticisms of Identity Crisis when it was published? I read it once in 05 and don't remember much except Ralph Dibny crying a lot.

Most of the initial criticisms were about what happened to Sue Dibny and the terrible resolution of the mystery. My memory of the actual release is that most were generally positive on it because trying to solve a mystery is fun, and a lot of a run's problems are made much more obvious in hindsight.

Owzers

Identity Crisis tried to ruin comics for me but i persevered, luckily it wasn't the first trade i read when getting into comics.

I was a Marvel boy back in the 90s though I was only the type to pick up a book now and then. But I sort of fell out of it, (But I still remember those dope Phalanx covers vividly for some reason). But years later my buddy was visiting me at my work, clerks style, and I read Identity Crisis. I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Got all pissed at what they did to Batman. Jerks. So it's one of those things that got me back into the medium. Just can't hate it for whatever faults it may have.

Acid08

Banned
Finally read the first issue of Sex. This has an opportunity to be a really, really interesting book. The stuff Casey had to say at the end was great and has me excited to keep buying it. I hope people aren't judging it too harshly right off the bat because there are *boobs* and *vaginas* in it.

Lettering is really cool as well.

only johns talk allowed is writing elaborate fanfictions based on his teen titans run

HIS TEEN TITANS WAS SO GOOD

shiiit

Superboy/Adventure Comics too

dam i loved those comics that bit where kid flash read a whole library in like one page and infinite crisis I LOVE YOU GEOFFY

I remember we made a 52 (the real 52) gag strip and he was like "Hey that was cool, but why you gotta make jokes about violence in my stuff" and we were like "errrrrrr um"

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
1) He is talking about a video game tie in comic. While it'd be great if they were up there with some of the more iconic runs, reality checks in and suggests that maybe you tone down your expectations a bit.
How much less are they charging for it?
2) For a video game tie in its actually surprisingly good. As in, you aren't expecting some of the stuff that it does, and it had some genuine surprise! moments.
Surprise is not inherently good.

If crap just comes out of nowhere for no reason and makes no sense, it doesn't mean that the comic is better for it.

3) Did I mention the quote where he suggests this is worse than all of the fanfiction on fanfiction.net? Hyperbole much?
of course it's hyperbole.

that's the point of hyperbole.
4) He labels Identity Crisis as the previous "Worst Comic Ever"? Lol? Really? Don't get me wrong. IC has issues. But its a decent book otherwise. There are much, much worse, and if ones opinion is that IC is literally the worst comic ever your opinion of coherence and storyline is... ah... skewed.
IC seems pretty terrible, dude.

5) He finds it incredulous that certain events happen. Events that happen in comic books. All the time. Dude. It's comic books. That shit happens. Without spoiling anything, he questions how someone survives something that'd kill most people. As if comic book characters have never done that. Like. Ever. >_>
Most normal humans in comics would survive being slammed through the hull of a submarine at super speed?

News to me.

I like how Geoff's run is overall considered disappointing by its readers, yet it hasn't budged from the top 5 since its debut. IF YOU WANT A BETTER JUSTICE LEAGUE THEN STOP BUYING IT PEOPLE.

When I was staring at the Uncanny sale (of which I ended up buying F.A.) I had the same thought about Greg Land.

I am hoping and dreaming the Eaglesham Iron Mans like treble in sales but I doubt it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I missed everyone's thoughts on 'Sex'. I thought it was pretty good, I ignored all of the pre-release hype and articles Casey mentions in the letters section so I went into it pretty much blank, but enjoyed what I read and where it could go.

Owzers

Oh yeah, I loved his Adventure Comics too. The issue with Superboy and Red Robin <3333

adventurecomics5_p05.jpg

loved it, occasionally when i rage at DC i remember this issue.

Wool

Well I finished all of Promethea yesterday. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. The first volume was great, but the further I read, the more preachy it got. Is this supposed to be Alan Moore's bible or something? I thought the art was really cool throughout, but there was so much text it was sort of tedious to get through a chapter. The whole thing was available at the library, so I didn't lose anything, but I think I prefer Saga of the Swamp Thing.

Acid08

Banned
Well I finished all of Promethea yesterday. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. The first volume was great, but the further I read, the more preachy it got. Is this supposed to be Alan Moore's bible or something? I thought the art was really cool throughout, but there was so much text it was sort of tedious to get through a chapter. The whole thing was available at the library, so I didn't lose anything, but I think I prefer Saga of the Swamp Thing.
Fuck you dude Alan Moore saved and continues to save comics, nothing compares. Even his weakest works are better than that "superhero" garbage.

holy shit that's awesome. What's the context for that page?
I'm trying to remember... something about Black Lanterns following Superboy-Prime back to Earth Prime (which is our Earth, so Superboy-Prime exists here and reads DC Comics) and restoring his powers before attacking him, and their battle carries over to the offices of DC Comics where Superboy-Prime threatens Didio and a bunch of DC bigwigs because it's funny, see? Before and after Infinite Crisis, Johns would use Superboy-Prime as a stand-in for DC's fanboy critics, taking pleasure in mocking them through him.

I'm trying to remember... something about Black Lanterns following Superboy-Prime back to Earth Prime (which is our Earth, so Superboy-Prime exists here and reads DC Comics) and restoring his powers before attacking him, and their battle carries over to the offices of DC Comics where Superboy-Prime threatens Didio and a bunch of DC bigwigs because it's funny, see? Before and after Infinite Crisis, Johns would use Superboy-Prime as a stand-in for DC's fanboy critics, taking pleasure in mocking them through him.

920427-spb_sucks_super.jpg

So good.

Owzers

just reread 4 and part of 5, after he got his powers and was told he was going to die in issue #5 ( which he was trying to go online to read spoilers on , which was hilarious), he decided to attack the DC offices before he died because they have it coming for doing this all to him.

It's depressing to think that THAT superboy prime no longer exists, i wonder if DC has the balls to have a new 52 superboy prime that read through the new 52 and complains about the changes.

just reread 4 and part of 5, after he got his powers and was told he was going to die in issue #5 ( which he was trying to go online to read spoilers on , which was hilarious), he decided to attack the DC offices before he died because they have it coming for doing this all to him.

It's depressing to think that THAT superboy prime no longer exists, i wonder if DC has the balls to have a new 52 superboy prime that read through the new 52 and complains about the changes.

I've always said to my local comic book collecting friends that nothing would rock more ass than for Superboy Prime to PUNCH his way INTO the New 52. A reverse reality punch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom