• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Superboy Prime can get in line. They need to fix the Batgirl/Wondergirl situation first.

Superboy Prime should just toss the missing characters into the New 52 universe.

"Don't try to back out of your mistakes, DC Comics! Especially if you're just going to mess stuff up more!" *Throws Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain at Batman*

I'm a Johns fanboy, but his run has been shit besides for Atlantis and the Shazam backstories/zero issue.

I liked the Darkseid arc. So, opinions on that.

I agree that the Graves arc wasn't very good. But one could see what he was trying to do.

Then Atlantis was great and Shazam has been unstoppable.

Ephemeris

The BKV/Martin comic is called The Private Eye and you can pay whatever price you what for the first issue (I assume all are like this) on panelsyndicate.com. There will be ten issues.

tpeye_0.jpg

bought!

edit: and enjoyed!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Superboy Prime should just toss the missing characters into the New 52 universe.

"Don't try to back out of your mistakes, DC Comics! Especially if you're just going to mess stuff up more!" *Throws Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain at Batman*

i would be all for this. god damn.

Batman should look at their carcasses and then look up to the sky and yell "Diiiiddiiooooo!!"

Owzers

Darn you guys, now all i can think about is Superboy Prime doing crazy things to get his way into the new 52 and i don't want to read new 52 stuff until it happens. You've ruined it all for me.

Posting my list so I don't forget, since work is going to keep me from making it to the shop until the weekend.

Marvel Comics:
All New X-Men #9
Avengers #8
Captain America #5
Daredevil #24
Indestructible Hulk #5
New Avengers #4
X-Factor #253
X-Termination #1 (maybe)

Dark Horse Comics:
Conan the Barbarian #14

SRG01

I know this question will be answered once I pick up my titles, but
ANXM and UXM will have a direct crossover, after the ending of UXM, right?

Also, ANXM, Avengers, and NA for me.

Wool

Fuck you dude Alan Moore saved and continues to save comics, nothing compares. Even his weakest works are better than that "superhero" garbage.

Woah woah woah, I didn't say anything about superheroes being better than Alan Moore. All I said was that Promethea was too a little too wordy and philosophical for me. All of the "We are always everything forever" hippie shit was not my cup of tea. I have the first volume of Saga of the Swamp Thing and loved it. I'll probably check out that new graphic novel (Nemo) too.

Chris Sims declares 'Injustice: Gods Among Us' tie-in comic an early frontrunner for worst comic of 2013 (Comics Alliance)

So... when ComicGAF gushed over this series, it was in a "so bad it's good" kind of way? Because that all sounds pretty damn awful.

Chris Sims represents the minority in this case, as Injustice is on Comixology's 'Top Sellers' week in and out. I have greatly enjoyed every issue, in fact it's the only book I actually download and read as soon as it's available. I'll admit that some of the characterizations of the most recent issue were a little off, but the quality has been great so far. This is just saltiness. I haven't been reading comics for long, but this is a book that has made me an active reader every week.

lol you can talk about whatever you want. i like how it's our fault no one else is reading them.

Other people are reading them, it's just semi pointless to try and discuss anything DC in here, with out dealing with a bunch of people who aren't reading it expressing how the new 52 sucks half the time.

Other people are reading them, it's just semi pointless to try and discuss anything DC in here, with out dealing with a bunch of people who aren't reading it expressing how the new 52 sucks half the time.

Unfortunately this is the nature of opinions. While I find some of the irrational assumptions to be annoying (Only DC cancels books and a canceled book = DC am doomed) But for the most part people in this thread will shit talk Marvel stuff as well, the difference seems to be forgiving much more readily and giving more benefit of the doubt. What can you do?

On the topic of the Johns JL run I think parts of it get unfairly criticized. I feel the Darkseid arc was a good way to start it for multiple reasons; It's a villain that explains a good reason for a team up besides "Hey, let's team up." and ties into (via Earth 2) the idea of Apokalips as an existential threat to the various universes. The Graves arc was weak but the implications with Steve Trevor have interesting implications via JLA. Johns seems best when he can play with several pies at once.

Can we agree that Shazam needs his own book and face time in the JL? Yeah, thought so.

DC's 'New 52' introduced me to comics on a greater scale. If DC hadn't rebooted, I doubt I'd be reading the number of books I am now. I was able to introduce several people to comics, including my partner, his brother and my own brother through the 'New 52' initiative. I don't mind the cancellations, honestly, the only one that impacted on my enjoyment was the cancellation of 'Sword and Sorcery'. I recognise that as a niche book however. I think there's a lot to love about the waves of new books that come and go.

Vyer

Have to kind of agree with this. I've been reading comics off and on for about 20 years and unfortunately you run into that sort of thing a lot with comics fans. I had hoped at one time that ComicsGAF was a little above that but have learned that was my mistake unfortunately.

DC's 'New 52' introduced me to comics on a greater scale. If DC hadn't rebooted, I doubt I'd be reading the number of books I am now. I was able to introduce several people to comics, including my partner, his brother and my own brother through the 'New 52' initiative. I don't mind the cancellations, honestly, the only one that impacted on my enjoyment was the cancellation of 'Sword and Sorcery'. I recognise that as a niche book however. I think there's a lot to love about the waves of new books that come and go.

I agree. I was a comic fan before, but I went from like 4 books to 30ish. It felt welcoming in a way I needed to try out new stuff. Before I only got Batman and Robin, Power Girl, Legion, and uh, Adventure Comics?

On the issue of Sword and Sorcery, I agree as well. Niche + a 3.99 book. The art is so gorgeous though. But the backups, while interesting, were unneeded.

Unfortunately this is the nature of opinions. While I find some of the irrational assumptions to be annoying (Only DC cancels books and a canceled book = DC am doomed) But for the most part people in this thread will shit talk Marvel stuff as well, the difference seems to be forgiving much more readily and giving more benefit of the doubt. What can you do?

On the topic of the Johns JL run I think parts of it get unfairly criticized. I feel the Darkseid arc was a good way to start it for multiple reasons; It's a villain that explains a good reason for a team up besides "Hey, let's team up." and ties into (via Earth 2) the idea of Apokalips as an existential threat to the various universes. The Graves arc was weak but the implications with Steve Trevor have interesting implications via JLA. Johns seems best when he can play with several pies at once.

Can we agree that Shazam needs his own book and face time in the JL? Yeah, thought so.

Have to kind of agree with this. I've been reading comics off and on for about 20 years and unfortunately you run into that sort of thing a lot with comics fans. I had hoped at one time that ComicsGAF was a little above that but have learned that was my mistake unfortunately.

I find this a little ridiculous, especially this last one. If DC was putting out a god tier, Uncanny X-Force, Hawkguy level book, we'd all be reading it and loving it. We all love comics. DC just isn't at the A-est game right now. It's not my or anyone else's bias that's making it that way.

And, yes, some people might find a DC book as good as those runs, but if only a few people do, while acres of people love those other books, it's not bias, it's just good versus better. That's the nature of a creative industry.

I find this a little ridiculous, especially this last one. If DC was putting out a god tier, Uncanny X-Force, Hawkguy level book, we'd all be reading it and loving it. We all love comics. DC just isn't at the A-est game right now. It's not my or anyone else's bias that's making it that way. And, yes, some people might find a DC book as good as those runs, but if only a few people do, while acres of people love those other books, it's not bias, it's just good versus better. That's the nature of a creative industry.

Acres of people... You realize that Hawkeye sells around the same as Red Lanterns, yes? And X Force around the same as Batman: The Dark Knight. Marvel has a higher over all market share but it's hardly "acres" more. But we must all be stockholmed into not going over to the superior publisher.

I agree. I was a comic fan before, but I went from like 4 books to 30ish. It felt welcoming in a way I needed to try out new stuff. Before I only got Batman and Robin, Power Girl, Legion, and uh, Adventure Comics?

On the issue of Sword and Sorcery, I agree as well. Niche + a 3.99 book. The art is so gorgeous though. But the backups, while interesting, were unneeded.

What titles do you read? The gorgeous art is what drew me to Sword and Sorcery to begin with. I'd have loved to have seen DC drop the backups and lower the price to $2.99 to save face. I'm disappointed the upcoming collected trade is not a hardcover edition though. I'm not a fan of paperbacks as I find them hard to maintain and upkeep. I bought the first hardcover trades of Batwoman, the Flash and Wonder Woman for the art alone. I've read them several times over but I still flick through them to appreciate the gorgeous artwork.

EDIT: I just want to add that I don't understand the competitive nature that seems to dominant comic discussion/fandom. I don't have a stake in the DC versus Marvel face off. I just enjoy comics. Sometimes the competitiveness of the comic industry turns me off.

What titles do you read? The gorgeous art was what drew me to Sword and Sorcery to begin with. I'd have loved to see DC drop the backups and lower the price to $2.99 to save face. I'm disappointed the upcoming collected trade is not a hardcover edition though. I'm not a fan of paperbacks as I find them hard to maintain and upkeep. I bought the first hardcover trades of Batwoman, the Flash and Wonder Woman for the art alone. I've read them several times over but I still flick through them to appreciate the gorgeous artwork.

My current top artists are Nicola Scott (Earth 2), Amanda Conner, Aaron Lopresti (Sword of Sorcery, JLI), Greg Capullo, and Kevin Maquire (and acquired taste), Fiona Staples, and Sam Basri.

My pull list is currently all the Bat titles, all the Super(man/boy/girl) titles. All the Lantern titles. Most of the Justice League titles (including Flash, Wonder Woman, etc) Main things I avoid are "The Dark" (Swamp Thing, Animal Man, etc) Not into it, but I've heard they are good. Don't like Suicide Squad. Don't like Jonah Hex. I was getting all of the Young Justice line. I try out most new titles.

Commission of Power Girl I had done by Kevin Maguire

Vyer

I find this a little ridiculous, especially this last one. If DC was putting out a god tier, Uncanny X-Force, Hawkguy level book, we'd all be reading it and loving it. We all love comics. DC just isn't at the A-est game right now. It's not my or anyone else's bias that's making it that way.

And, yes, some people might find a DC book as good as those runs, but if only a few people do, while acres of people love those other books, it's not bias, it's just good versus better. That's the nature of a creative industry.

What do you find especially ridiculous? Nothing I said is untrue.

I didn't really think we were talking about sales - which is irrelevant anyway as it also disproves the 'no one is reading it'/'acres of people' angle - nor the DC/Marvel competition, which I also agree that Marvel is consistently better right now (even though I recognize that's still IMO).

The constant trolling/shitting on by people who aren't even reading it does come up without fail by generally the same people over and over again and it gets a little tiring.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I've never seen posters trash other posters when they discuss what DC titles they are reading. I see people saying they like some DC titles but hate the decisions DC makes as a company like swapping out creators before they get a chance on the title. To me that is bullshit and is worth criticizing.

bengraven

OMG. Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!

image28-e1363708605138-600x237.jpg

I can't wait to read this tomorrow.

Jesus Christ, I re-read 1-10 last night and she's seriously my favorite new comic character in forever.

The scene where she's talking to her bored, annoyed co-worker about reading the "romance" novel and she leaves to go check on the prisoner and the Krang thing turns to the co-worker and said "What did I tell you, guard duty with her is the fucking worst". Makes me laugh every time.

Plus, she's hot.

My current top artists are Nicola Scott (Earth 2), Amanda Conner, Aaron Lopresti (Sword of Sorcery, JLI), Greg Capullo, and Kevin Maquire (and acquired taste), Fiona Staples, and Sam Basri.

My pull list is currently all the Bat titles, all the Super(man/boy/girl) titles. All the Lantern titles. Most of the Justice League titles (including Flash, Wonder Woman, etc) Main things I avoid are "The Dark" (Swamp Thing, Animal Man, etc) Not into it, but I've heard they are good. Don't like Suicide Squad. Don't like Jonah Hex. I was getting all of the Young Justice line. I try out most new titles.

We have similar tastes in artists. I loved Basri's art on Power Girl and Voodoo. It still surprises me that he received no recognition for not missing a month on his Voodoo run. I'm sad to see Maguire leave Worlds' Finest as well. I've enjoyed his work immensely. I'd add Francis Manapul to that list too. I met Manapul and Nicola Scott (killing it on Earth 2) at a Con. It was a great experience. Scott is so genuine. Oh and how could I forget J. H. Williams III! His Batwoman is so hauntingly beautiful. She has quickly and justifiably become my favourite DC character.

Art is such an important part of a comic to me. It immensely increases the enjoyment if the quality of the art is consistent. I can stand average writing so long as the art holds up. I can't appreciate Captain Marvel for that reason. Ms. Marvel's design/costume is one of my favourites and I have long wanted to see her pushed more to the front-line. I just can't look past the art of her new solo book. I've heard the writing is well-done and consistent, but it's just not enough.

I have been reading quite a few of 'The Dark' line of titles. Animal Man, Justice League Dark, Swamp Thing, etc. There's definitely a streak of quality running through but I recognize it's not to everyone's tastes. I'm just hoping that Princess Amethyst joins Justice League Dark so I can continue enjoying her journey/growth through the DC universe. Otherwise, I've been dipping my toes into most of the new books that DC launch. I loved Justice League of America, JLA's Vibe and Katana.

Tizoc

How is the Supergirl comic now? I still find her outfit completly dumb, but if the writing's good I'll giv it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom