• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

I wanted to post here again to thank people for recommending the Marvel Now wave of books that have started up recently. Really enjoying these, especially the Fantastic Four/FF, Hawkeye, Spectacular Spider-Man and All New X-Men. I've always had this thing about capes where I was wary of jumping in to the middle of stories and having no clue about the history of the characters outside of what's known from popular culture and movies, so these really done the trick for me. Although I didn't realise how much more I'd be spending on comics each week, haha. Especially having to play catchup on a few of those. It's all been good though, enjoying reading something different from the Vertigo style of comics I've been used to.

Outside of those I'm reading Batman (not branched into the rest of the Bat-family comics yet but it seems like I should at least be reading Batman & Robin), Chew, Saga, The Unwritten, Nowhere Men and The Manhattan Projects. Oh, and Private Eye. Bought the first issue and it looks great.

Enjoying following this thread now I'm caught up and a bit more widely read.

Good mix. Pretty much my current pull list, plus Thor, Cap and Green Lantern.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah, I don't get where all this fancifulness is coming from. I just meant literally anyone can ask to participate, so we'd be in the same book. You can't change anything from the predetermined characters so, yeah....

Can't take a joke anymore birdie?

Can't take a joke anymore birdie?

There's plenty of jokes there, that's why I brought it up! I just thought they'd be based in the parameters of the project. Like "Oh, boy! Wouldn't wanna be at THAT signing!"

Like, we can't be IN the book. Neither can, shit, doesn't one of the Dragons have a first name? Like Kenny Dragon?

ElNarez

Banned
Guys, let's not talk about webcomic drama (big fan of Ben's webcomic "Moon Over June", by the way) because it's MONDAY and MONDAY is LIST DAY SO POST SOME LISTS
All Star Western #18
Aquaman #18
Batman Incorporated #9
Flash #18
I Vampire #18
Justice League Dark #18
Red Lanterns #18
Superman #18
Time Warp #1

FF #5
Fury Max #10
Guardians of the Galaxy #1
Journey Into Mystery #650
Uncanny Avengers #5
Uncanny X-Force #3
Wolverine and the X-Men #27
X-Men Legacy #8
Young Avengers #3

This week's Marvel. Previews here. God, it's the X-Week. Goodbye lunch. Uncanny Avengers gets another shot this week. For Olivier Coipel and for Wasp!

Age of Ultron #3
A+X #6
Astonishing X-Men #60
Deadpool Killustrated #3
Fantastic Four #5AU
FF #5
Gambit #10
Morbius: The Living Vampire #3
Marvel Universe Ultimate Spider-Man #12
Powers: Bureau #3
Scarlet Spider #15
Super Spider-Man #6AU
Thunderbolts #7
Ultimate Comics Wolverine #2
Uncanny Avengers #5
Uncanny X-Force #3
Wolverine & The X-Men #27
X-Men Legacy #27
Young Avengers #3

LLIIISSSSTTTTSSSS

A + X #6
Age of Ultron #3
B.P.R.D. Vampire #1
Bad Machinery Vol. 1: Case of the Team Spirit **BOOK OF THE CENTURY**
Batman Incorporated #9
East of West #1
Fantastic Four #5
Fatale #13
FF #5
Fury Max #10
Massive #10
Sixth Gun: Sons of the Gun #2
Superior Spider-Man #6 AU
Thunderbolts #7
Uncanny Avengers #5
Uncanny X-Force #3
Wolverine and the X-Men #27
Young Avengers #3

Chaos War only came after their original shameless copy, Necrosha, was pure shit.

I never read the main Chaos War stuff, but I liked Chaos War: Dead X-Men. It was so retro.

Light week. My pocket book appreciates it after last week. :(

Aquaman #18
Batman: the Dark Knight #18
Flash #18
Red Lanterns #18 [I CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THIS BOOK BECAUSE FUCK YOU ALL]
Superman #18
Talon #6 [FUCK YOU IF YOU AREN'T BUYING THIS BOOK]
Teen Titans #18 [WHY THE FUCK AM I STILL BUYING THIS BOOK? I DON'T KNOW! :D:D:D]

Viewt

Chaos War really wasn't that bad - the main story, at least. After all, it spun out of the awesome Incredible Hercules run.

Man, I miss Incredible Herc. :(

background.jpg

AQUAMAN #18
BATMAN INCORPORATED #9
FLASH #18
TALON #6
TIME WARP #1 (MR)

PLANETOID #5
EAST OF WEST #1

AGE OF ULTRON #3
UNCANNY AVENGERS #5
UNCANNY X-FORCE #3
WOLVERINE AND X-MEN #27
FF #5

Is Chaos War that thing where a bunch of Gods got killed but then it didn't actually happen because pocket universe? or something?

That's as far as my knowledge goes because of Heroclix.

Wizkids turned the "Mighty Avengers" set into "Chaos War" and it had like one Chaos War figure.

akira28

this will all go on in history as some kind of flashback to the "extreme" 90s, the "relevance" reboots, now with "feelings" and "relatability".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm completely out of the loop on Superman. Why is he wearing armor? Isn't he invincible already?

Honestly I have no idea, the explanation I've come up with for myself is that it dampens impacts and stop Supes from being punched through buildings (basically it prevents his super fights from getting too out of hand and causing too much collateral damage). There's probably some other official bullshit explanation but I'm sticking with mine.

I'm completely out of the loop on Superman. Why is he wearing armor? Isn't he invincible already?

Honestly I have no idea, the explanation I've come up with for myself is that it dampens impacts and stop Supes from being punched through buildings (basically it prevents his super fights from getting too out of hand and causing too much collateral damage). There's probably some other official bullshit explanation but I'm sticking with mine.

It's Kryptonian battle armor. Remember that originally Kryptonian's didn't have super powers; On their world they don't them. But they had high science to compensate. So while he doesn't "need" it, it's still an armor that's between him and whatever he is fighting and the tech level is such that against most opponents its still effective, and thus one step removed from needing to "use" that invulnerability.

So the Superman "WTF" cover surprise is something already known about (love triangle between three featured characters).

And why isn't the
Reverse Flash yellow?

tim1138

So the Superman "WTF" cover surprise is something already known about (love triangle between three featured characters).

And why isn't the
Reverse Flash yellow?

Because he's dark and gritty and Manapul and Booch didn't like the yellow costume.
It was explained in an interview on CBR a few months back.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Bad news for anyone who buys their Archie from Midtown Comics online. The new Betty & Veronica digest out this Wednesday is already sold out. I guess they underordered.

Owzers

Still really enjoying New X-Men after taking a long break when i finished the first Ult Collection trade. Can't read anything current until i finish the whole run.

Yeah kinda, although I think Azzarello isn't touching upon the superman relationship at all in Wonder Woman. He doesn't seem to care, which is fine with me. That book staying as standalone as possible is for the better.

akira28

no. reboot Superman isn't invincible. Hence the armor. Plus after the court battle they decided to give him battle armor instead of continuing with the old two tone red and blue uniform. Except now he looks even more ridiculous in blue longjohns...i mean armor.

Acid08

Banned
TMNT Secret History of the Foot Clan 1-4

Just read all of these in one sitting. Really great mini. Exciting action, good story beats, and amazing art. Can't wait for Santolouco to take over the main series. His April is hawt. Anyone who likes the Turtles should pick up the trade when it's released.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh, I get to do my first list!

B.P.R.D. Vampire #1
FF #5
Superior Spider-Man #6

BPRD is a possible, have all sorts of Hellboy trades from back in the day but have lost track, might try and pick up some BPRD trades to catch up and then get back into the series.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is Chaos War that thing where a bunch of Gods got killed but then it didn't actually happen because pocket universe? or something?

It was basically the cap to a long ass run of Hercules and Amadeus Cho stories. Basically there was a story where Athena wanted Cho to be her new champion to replace Hercules, so she created a pocket universe and "killed" Hercules by trapping him in it. Then Cho went "fuck you" and went on a big quest to gather a bunch of powerful stuff from different deities to become omnipotent and bring Hercules back. He did, brought Herc back, and basically gave his power to Hercules. Herc then brought all the heroes together with his new god powers to fight Amatsu-Mikaboshi who was basically going around murdering all pantheons across the universe, and trying to essentially absorb/destroy all of reality into nothingness?

Big battle, blah blah long story short he was about to win and they tricked him into the previously mentioned pocket universe which he consumed instead, thinking he had won, and they sealed him off. Athena popped up and said this was her plan all along, and now Herc could rule the universe with her help and everything would be fucking awesome, but Herc was like "fuck you bitch you see how many people fucking died just now?" and sacrificed literally all of his power to undo the damage. (He ran around completely without powers as a normal human for a while, if I recall, and I stopped reading comics somewhere around Fear Itself and so I don't know what happened then.)

Any requests for the April OT?

Also, if you have an idea for the "bullhorn" shoot me a PM so we can coordinate.

Whatever happened to the trades to read this month thing that was started some months ago? Did it get a thread and then just die? It'd be cool to come up with some trades to read / discuss for the big two and then some of the other indie groups.

Maybe some focuses on characters / teams? I love the idea of organized discussions.

It was basically the cap to a long ass run of Hercules and Amadeus Cho stories. Big battle, blah blah long story short

Thanks for the explanation. Appreciation.

TMNT Secret History of the Foot Clan 1-4

Just read all of these in one sitting. Really great mini. Exciting action, good story beats, and amazing art. Can't wait for Santolouco to take over the main series. His April is hawt. Anyone who likes the Turtles should pick up the trade when it's released.
No doubt brah, bona Fidel comics super star in the making.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Indestructible Hulk #1-#3 were way more enjoyable than I expected them to be. I've never been a big Hulk fan, but I love all the super science characters in the Marvel universe. So Banner trying take back his good name with scientific innovations WHILE whoring Hulk out to SHIELD was right up my alley. But it felt like the story lost momentum with #4 and #5. I didn't really see (or should I say sea) the point of his underwater adventure. Just felt like a pointless side story with no real impact. Maybe they'll come back later, but it just didn't add anything for me and was a very brief diversion from introducing Banner to his new nerd team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom