• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I was just reading STH #246, and thought Shard was pretty interesting and all. It'd be a shame if Ian does off him, though. :(

I read at another thread that he was just badly damaged, so worst case scenario is he is MiA in most future issues of the comic and prob. the crossover XO.

frye

Might House of M be worth a peek? :p

Olivier Coipel draws really nice comix I guess~

It's basically the same as the other Marvel events where the setup is decent (despite more Scarlet Witch fuckery by Bendis) but it falls apart towards the end to make room for the Next Crossover.

Viewt

So after Young Justice and Superman/Shazam, I'm really liking DC's Captain Marvel. What's the good shit to read and does he have a current series?

Shazam is currently the star of the back-up stories in the main Justice League series, which have been excellent.

If you're in the mood for pre-New 52 stories, Captain Marvel was a big part of the James Robinson / David S. Goyer / Geoff Johns JSA series. He and Black Adam were actually on the team together at one point.

Can we talk about how Robert Kirkman continues to swindle people and Hollywood type people into thinking that he is a good writer? Brah is Bill Willingham without a convention. Wish some DC editor would put both those fuckers in their place.

Owzers

Might House of M be worth a peek? :p

That's not part of the sale, but i actually liked House of M. It probably helps that it was the first Marvel event i read when i started getting into comics, and i read the trade. I can't recall about House of M's pacing, but Bendis tends to pace his books horribly.

Wool

Does anybody know what this is from? It looks amazing.

kZBCkrG.jpg

What's up comic-gaf! Recently got GL: Rebirth as a gift from a friend and I got bit hard by the comic bug. Made a comixology account soon after and bought all the major GL arcs prior to Blackest Night. I was about to purchase the entire arc until I saw the price. Almost $190 and 70 damn issues spread over what seemed like fucking 10 different series?! Can I pick out the main Blackest Night series + GL & GL Corps to get what I need to, or do I need all that other shit too?

- J - D -

Y and Girls aren't remotely on the same level. I'd put Girls down with stuff like... Spawn, I guess, or some poor Top Cow book. Bad characterization, so-so art, goes too long, manages to make a mystery boring.

You and the other guy should hash it out. Well, I'll see for myself. Like I said before, I like the writing in what I've read of it. $15 for the entire omnibus-style collection means I'm not gambling too much.

Tizoc

Can we talk about how Robert Kirkman continues to swindle people and Hollywood type people into thinking that he is a good writer? Brah is Bill Willingham without a convention. Wish some DC editor would put both those fuckers in their place.

Eh I enjoy most of his comics from Image, and I liked his Destroyer comic from a few years ago.

frye

What's up comic-gaf! Recently got GL: Rebirth as a gift from a friend and I got bit hard by the comic bug. Made a comixology account soon after and bought all the major GL arcs prior to Blackest Night. I was about to purchase the entire arc until I saw the price. Almost $190 and 70 damn issues spread over what seemed like fucking 10 different series?! Can I pick out the main Blackest Night series + GL & GL Corps to get what I need to, or do I need all that other shit too?

You do not need that other shit. GL and GLC will definitely be enough.

- J - D -

Kirkman created and writes Invincible, so he's aces in my book. The only superhero book I bothered to keep up with long after I quit keeping up with the genre.

Y and Girls aren't remotely on the same level. I'd put Girls down with stuff like... Spawn, I guess, or some poor Top Cow book. Bad characterization, so-so art, goes too long, manages to make a mystery boring.

Opinions. My call out to Y was that I had the same desire to burn through the series without pause as I read both all the way through. Not many titles do that (to me). And I had no issue with the art personally.

The Blackest Night main series, Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps issues are all that's needed to enjoy and understand the event. For some reason I decided I needed all of the Blackest Night hardcover trades. :/ Why?!

Welcome to comic-gaf! :D GL: Rebirth was the starting point for me as well. I hope you're enjoying the universe Geoff Johns developed as much as I did/do.

I'm reading Peter Milligan's X-Statix run, excellent stuff and the art is superb.

I love, love, love Mike Allred and have recently been catching up on his stuff starting with the first couple of Madman TPBs. I've only read a few random issues of X-Men by Milligan which I didn't really care for, but I get the impression that X-Statix is much, much better. What's the concept of the book?

Tizoc

I love, love, love Mike Allred and have recently been catching up on his stuff starting with the first couple of Madman TPBs. I've only read a few random issues of X-Men by Milligan which I didn't really care for, but I get the impression that X-Statix is much, much better. What's the concept of the book?

Milligan's Statix run starts from X-Force #160 and is collected in TPB. Without spoiling much, the run focuses on various random mutants who are banded together, as X-Force (later name gets changed to X-Statix), a band of mutant 'heroes' who are famous and popular, and even have products made out of them. Basically they are a suerphero team 'franchise'. It follows the lives of these characters and dangerous missions they undertake. If you've read Milligan's Shade run you can expect some elements from that book in here.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I wanted to post here again to thank people for recommending the Marvel Now wave of books that have started up recently. Really enjoying these, especially the Fantastic Four/FF, Hawkeye, Spectacular Spider-Man and All New X-Men. I've always had this thing about capes where I was wary of jumping in to the middle of stories and having no clue about the history of the characters outside of what's known from popular culture and movies, so these really done the trick for me. Although I didn't realise how much more I'd be spending on comics each week, haha. Especially having to play catchup on a few of those. It's all been good though, enjoying reading something different from the Vertigo style of comics I've been used to.

Outside of those I'm reading Batman (not branched into the rest of the Bat-family comics yet but it seems like I should at least be reading Batman & Robin), Chew, Saga, The Unwritten, Nowhere Men and The Manhattan Projects. Oh, and Private Eye. Bought the first issue and it looks great.

Enjoying following this thread now I'm caught up and a bit more widely read.

I wanted to post here again to thank people for recommending the Marvel Now wave of books that have started up recently. Really enjoying these, especially the Fantastic Four/FF, Hawkeye, Spectacular Spider-Man and All New X-Men. I've always had this thing about capes where I was wary of jumping in to the middle of stories and having no clue about the history of the characters outside of what's known from popular culture and movies, so these really done the trick for me. Although I didn't realise how much more I'd be spending on comics each week, haha. Especially having to play catchup on a few of those. It's all been good though, enjoying reading something different from the Vertigo style of comics I've been used to.

Outside of those I'm reading Batman (not branched into the rest of the Bat-family comics yet but it seems like I should at least be reading Batman & Robin), Chew, Saga, The Unwritten, Nowhere Men and The Manhattan Projects. Oh, and Private Eye. Bought the first issue and it looks great.

Enjoying following this thread now I'm caught up and a bit more widely read.

Welcome to the party, pal

Owzers

The Blackest Night main series, Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps issues are all that's needed to enjoy and understand the event. For some reason I decided I needed all of the Blackest Night hardcover trades. :/ Why?!

Welcome to comic-gaf! :D GL: Rebirth was the starting point for me as well. I hope you're enjoying the universe Geoff Johns developed as much as I did/do.

blackest-night-wonder-woman-1-cover.jpg

I really liked the Wonder Woman 3 issue mini by Rucka/Scott so i bought the Black Lantern Corps vol 2 hardcover collecting that, the decent Flash mini, and the not so good Robinson JL something mini.

I caught up on Uncanny Avengers and I dont know about the narration in it. Feels kinda retro, but also feels like hes breaking the show dont tell rule. Those acuna pages will probably keep me on.

blackest-night-wonder-woman-1-cover.jpg

I really liked the Wonder Woman 3 issue mini by Rucka/Scott so i bought the Black Lantern Corps vol 2 hardcover collecting that, the decent Flash mini, and the not so good Robinson JL something mini.

I actually enjoyed quite a few of the crossovers. I remember the Batman and Superman ones being really fun. There was one with Nightwing's like parents? Maybe that was the Batman one? Anyway, there's some fun stuff in there.

Marvel 700 reminded me that Marvel did that shameless copy, Chaos War, which I had literally completely forgotten existed.

Oh, Marvel.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Whether you like him or not, you have to admire Bendis's productivity over the years. Writers block does not apply to him.

Whether you like him or not, you have to admire Bendis's productivity over the years. Writers block does not apply to him.

I have to say, I was all, "Yay, no need to buy this sale" and ended up getting all the Ultimate Spider-Man stuff, because it is flat out amazing, and the book (maybe the only book) Bagley was born to draw. And New Avengers, which opens with that awesome Raft breakout story and is awesome.

Daredevil, of course, I already own in hardcover.

I really think he just kind of lost his mojo on the Avengers books and since that was his main output for years, it was easy to dismiss him. (Although Secret Invasion was indeed really lame.)

I never got into Powers though, and lost interest in Scarlet.

Blader

That's because he doesn't write about anything.

It's easy (well, easier) to write as much as he does if it's all rough drafts of nonsense dialogue that average one plot point per 5 issues.

Milligan's Statix run starts from X-Force #160 and is collected in TPB. Without spoiling much, the run focuses on various random mutants who are banded together, as X-Force (later name gets changed to X-Statix), a band of mutant 'heroes' who are famous and popular, and even have products made out of them. Basically they are a suerphero team 'franchise'. It follows the lives of these characters and dangerous missions they undertake. If you've read Milligan's Shade run you can expect some elements from that book in here.

That sounds pretty awesome, thanks.

Owzers

When are they going to put out a JiM ultimate tpb collection already XO ? I'm tempted to just buy the Everything Burns trade in July and skip the previous arcs, reading them as they come into Marvel Unlimited. So far i read issue 632 and the Terrorism Myth arc.

That's true. Too bad I got burnt out on Powers, it was an interesting concept but then it got to be a chore, especially since I was following by trade and those were rather inconsistent with release dates.

Anyways, I ended up changing ye olde avatar once more, though I hate that I couldn't get it to resize properly but it's good enough for me right now.

Catching up on my haul from Wednesday. Been a pretty busy week. Managed to burn through:

Both Superman: Mon-El trades
Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes trade
Legion of Three World's trade
Reread: JLA: Lightning Saga trade

Then about half of my pulls. Thoughts on some issues.

Supergirl: A slower issue over all but I like what it is setting up for the next issue or two.
Red Hood: Loved it. Series continues to be great.
Nightwing: WTF reveal at the end? But it makes the Chicago transition make sense, so go for it.
Batwoman: Loved the acknowledgement that Kate is a fucking hypocrite :x Bout time someone pointed that shit out.
JLA / Vibe: Continue to be on board. Loving Vibe more than I thought I would, but the interactions with his brother are definitely the reason he is so endearing at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom