• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
Okay, I had stuff that needed doing, but there are wack opinions on Young Avengers being expressed, so let's break this shit down.

Story is meandering and makes very little sense.

You're talking about issue #3, right? The one where almost every big crazy thing that has happened is explained somehow?

Motivations are poor, humour is stale, but at least the art is great.

"motivations are poor"? Again, I'm calling bullshit. MID-BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN: The motivations of every protagonist of Young Avengers:

-Hulking: Getting his shit together post a very fucked up thing (Children's Crusade), trying to be a good boyfriend/superhero
-Wiccan: Also getting his shit together post CC. Getting back to being an actual hero. Using magic to be a good boyfriend and stuff. It goes wrong.
-Loki: Being motherfucking Loki
-Miss America: Trying to stop whatever fucked up thing Loki is planning, because this is motherfucking Loki.
-Hawgal: Getting her freak on with some of that alien beefcake. Fighting off Skrulls
-Marvel Boy: Getting his freak on with all sorts of Earthly things. Also fighting off Skrulls.

Humor is subjective as heck (but you're still wrong).

And the art is good. Yeah.

McKelvie is wasted on this 14 year old tumblr fangirl drivel. I expected more from Gillen. RIP.

Shit son, it's a teen comic book, what the fuck else did you expect? It comes with the fucking territory.

Mafro

Young Avengers is straight up TRASH. Story is meandering and makes very little sense. Motivations are poor, humour is stale, but at least the art is great. McKelvie is wasted on this 14 year old tumblr fangirl drivel. I expected more from Gillen. RIP.
Yeah I was really excited about this when it was first announced but it's really disappointing. I like McKelvie's art but I think this further reinforces my opinion that Kieron Gillen is massively overrated and he just seems to be pandering to his creepy Journey into Mystery/Phonogram hipster tumblr fanbase with this smug, self-indulgent comic. Can't believe this guy was writing one of the flagship Marvel comics at one point.

Uncanny Avengers was fucking stellar this week, and I really enjoyed Age of Ultron #3 especially the ending but
Black Panther simply breaking his neck from a fall and (apparently) dying was utter bullshit.

Acid08

Banned
Floated an idea by my LCS owner today. Section off all of Liefeld's work into one section called "Liefelds Taint." He seemed into it.

ElNarez

Banned
Floated an idea by my LCS owner today. Section off all of Liefeld's work into one section called "Liefelds Taint." He seemed into it.

Question: where would you put the Glory/Prophet reboots? Because those are some primo-Liefeld taint, but also they fucking rule.

Okay, I had stuff that needed doing, but there are wack opinions on Young Avengers being expressed, so let's break this shit down.
You're talking about issue #3, right? The one where almost every big crazy thing that has happened is explained somehow?

You mean the "explanation" that
Wiccan brought back Hulkling's mother and now the parents of various unaffiliated children are back? Yeah. That makes barely any sense.

"motivations are poor"? Again, I'm calling bullshit. MID-BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN: The motivations of every protagonist of Young Avengers:

Humor is subjective as heck (but you're still wrong).

And the art is good. Yeah.

Not buying this.
Why is Loki using Miss America to save Wiccan? Why is Hawkeye randomly in space with Marvel Boy? How did Loki know Wiccan was in danger before he was actually in danger?
I get that all the mysteries can't be answered immediately, but shit, there's nothing tying this clusterfuck together.

Shit son, it's a teen comic book, what the fuck else did you expect? It comes with the fucking territory.

What I expected was something on par with Gillen's great teen comic book Generation Hope. Remember the one that wasn't full of self-indulgent tumblr shoutouts?

ElNarez

Banned
You mean the "explanation" that
Wiccan brought back Hulkling's mother and now the parents of various unaffiliated children are back? Yeah. That makes barely any sense.

I mean the explanation that
due to Loki's fuckery with Wiccan's spell, whatever it is they brought back took the shape of every parent of the team

Not buying this.
Why is Loki using Miss America to save Wiccan? Why is Hawkeye randomly in space with Marvel Boy? How did Loki know Wiccan was in danger before he was actually in danger?
I get that all the mysteries can't be answered immediately, but shit, there's nothing tying this clusterfuck together.

You'll have to pardon the black bars, not YA#3 readers :
-Because he's fucking Loki and he couldn't be trusted with saving anyone, plus he's fucking Loki, so there's always some kind of trickery involved, like, trying to get Wiccan's power for himself to do all sorts of mischief.
-Because they're Young and get into all kinds of sexy situations. Marvel Boy is just a dude taking a girl he met at a party to his pad for fun times. Except, IN SPACE.
-Because he's fucking Loki, again, and you can't take anything he says at face value, please refer to two points above to get some idea of Loki's wacky plans.

What I expected was something on par with Gillen's great teen comic book Generation Hope. Remember the one that wasn't full of self-indulgent tumblr shoutouts?

Come on dude, join the party. #get those feels son #don't be superwack #also i am right

the chris

His taint barely touches reboots. I'm talking full on taint in your face.

You mean stuff more like this right?
d28o5fn.jpg

No feet

frye

yeah, I think YA is gonna be at a very comfortable place sales-wise like DD/Hawkeye. I haven't read the third issue yet but I've been pretty on board since I reread issue 1.

Wool

21535.jpg

On the run from the B.P.R.D., a mutated Abe Sapien traverses a devastated America, with monster corpses scattered around and cities in ruin.

Anyone getting this next week? I have not read anything related to Hellboy or Abe Sapien, but it sounds cool. I like the idea of a fish-man anyway.

Ephemeris

Maybe you or someone you care about was in traffic today, near FL Hospital in Orlando, where a strange (yet ruggedly handsome) man shouted out "GET IN THAT ASS, NIGHTWING" from the car right next to you.

You were startled and nearly hit a pedestrian. Know that he's sorry.

Viewt

So Superior Spider-Man AU was actually pretty tight. And I REALLY dug Dexter Soy's art.

prv15796_pg3.jpg

I'm not really digging Age of Ultron over all, but as a one-and-done story, I thought this worked well.

Woah, already? Seemed like Loeb was really into this. I wonder why he's off.
Marvel is spinning this by saying Loeb was always going to do only this much and that he still has another Nova story he wants to tell later on. Said TV takes up too much of his time, which is unbelievable since USM is an abomination.

Woah, already? Seemed like Loeb was really into this. I wonder why he's off.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44514

As for the transfer, Loeb said, "So many times when a book is handed off to another team, the creative sensibility of the book changes. I've been part of those shifts, but this is not one of those cases." He promised that Wells' writing on the book would be of a piece with his take on Sam while Medina's art will fit well with the style McGuinness established. "This is by no means saying that Ed and I are going away forever and ever. The best part about Nova is that there are literally hundreds of stories to be told."

Wacker added, "It is fair to say that when we were thinking about the takeover because Jeph has so many commitments on the TV and animation side, the one thing Jeph kept saying is that 'We need someone like Zeb.'" The editor then promised that Loeb is working on another big Nova story to launch next year.

Wells came into the conversation saying he'd been following the book as a fan for months as Wacker had sent him art and notes for the series as it came together. He said the thing he was most excited for was to write a hero who was experiencing the Marvel Universe for the first time. "We're going to pick up after 'AvX' when Sam Alexander has been offered a chance to join the Avengers, but he also has to go home and explain where he's been," he said. "We're basically going to pick up with his relationship with his mother and explaining how he became a Nova."

Wacker compared the first arc to the "origin film" for Nova while Wells and Medina will be doing the sequel where the character is introduced to the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Wells explained that for now, he and Medina are set for a five-issue arc, and that they are discussing long term plans with Wacker and Loeb for the series even as Wells is unsure what his schedule will allow for long term. McGuinness will stay on covers, however, even as he and Loeb's next project remains unknown.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda want Loeb on multiple comics featuring characters I don't care about so that it saps the time he can use to ruin cartoons. Have him on Skrull Kill Krew Volume 3 or whatever for the second wave of Marvel Now

frye

It's kinda dumb replacing him with Zeb Wells (who I like quite a bit) unless they want rotating teams like A+X or Savage Wolverine because Wells also has TV writing commitments - which is why he had to jump off Avenging in the first place.

Makes Alonso's jab at DC for the same thing a lot less biting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom