• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the fuck is going on in Morning Glories? 25 issues in, and things only vaguely make any sort of sense. I dig the art and characters, but sometimes I wonder why I'm still reading this.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a bit of a change from the last volume, but I like it so far. Gamora's character design seems a bit vanilla, though.

East of West was enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing where Hickman takes it.

Age of Ultron #3 - I didn't see that coming.

Powers continues to be awesome. But I don't remember that ever not being the case.

Vyer

Young Avengers #1 was pretty poor, but these last two issues have been entertaining.

Also, Talon has been really solid.

Ephemeris

I'm with YA for the long haul - it is pretty sweet as heck!!

also:

tumblr_mk56s9Nvdk1qhbhvxo1_500.jpg

I said wow.

kswiston

Usually the term fill-in artist is met with groans, but Uncanny Avengers #5 was leagues better than the previous 4 issues in the art department. I'm glad to see strands from Uncanny X-Force carrying over as well. Glad I stuck with the book.

Yeah, first issue of UA I've actually enjoyed. And I like Acuna more than Cassaday nowadays. Hopefully this book can get on track, both storywise and monthly release wise, because I REALLY want to like one of these damn Avengers books(Young Avengers is decent, though)

FF was the best of the week though. I can't believe this book is so funny, beautiful, and heartfelt, while the Fantastic Four book is so tired and lazy. Is Dan Jurgens ghost-writing for Fraction on Fantastic Four, and this is the one way he can get work at Marvel nowadays?

BluWacky

Anybody pick up Unwritten? It's still one of the most consistently great books being put out that nobody seems to talk about.

I love Unwritten, but I read it in trades. Just bought volume 7 today, I have very little idea what to expect from the new arc therein other than some of it takes place in Australia? I think? Volume 6 was clearly where the original "idea" for the series could have ended, so where this is going to spiral off to now I really don't know.

Does anyone know what the fuck is going on in Morning Glories? 25 issues in, and things only vaguely make any sort of sense. I dig the art and characters, but sometimes I wonder why I'm still reading this.

Do you read it monthly? I find reading it in trades makes it super-manageable. I remember the gist of what's happening rather than obsessing over details, and just enjoy the confusion. Isn't "part 1" due to finish quite soon? Could be interesting to see what happens there.

Maybe it'll all be a wild goose chase, but I'm enjoying chasing that goose through time, space, and random murders.

Powers continues to be awesome. But I don't remember that ever not being the case.

I want to read Powers, but there are so many editions I get confused. Well, that, and my local Forbidden Planet never has volume 1!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I want to read Powers, but there are so many editions I get confused. Well, that, and my local Forbidden Planet never has volume 1!

It's pretty straightforward.

Vol. 1 #1–37
Vol. 2 #1–30
Vol. 3 #1-11

Then there's

Powers: Bureau which just started and is one issue 3.

The hardcovers are fairly cheap.

Viewt

Usually the term fill-in artist is met with groans, but Uncanny Avengers #5 was leagues better than the previous 4 issues in the art department. I'm glad to see strands from Uncanny X-Force carrying over as well. Glad I stuck with the book.

Olivier Coipel fucking brings it every time.

Owzers

I put aside New X-Men marathon to read Happy 1-4 by Grant Morrison, that's some grim stuff right there, it might as well be a DC book. Overall I enjoyed it but it was way too dark to be something i'd want to reread.

Remender is being such a cunt on twitter.

"Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution."

I didn't care about what Havok said until I realized it wasn't a joke. Remender is really trying to make this "m-word" thing happen. LOL. How can someone writing a mutant comic be so clueless with X-Men history and context?

I read a bunch of Slott Spider-Man last night. Rounded off the Menace storyline. 574-586 or so. Loved the Hammerhead story.

I really enjoy Slott's Spider-Man, for better or worse. :x

It's pretty straightforward.

Vol. 1 #1–37
Vol. 2 #1–30
Vol. 3 #1-11

Then there's

Powers: Bureau which just started and is one issue 3.

The hardcovers are fairly cheap.
Yeah the Ultimate Editions are great books. They still need to release the one for volume three though....

Acid08

Banned
The processing of the order can be pretty slow, not as fast as Amazon. So make sure that the book is the only thing in your order. But the actual shipping is about the same speed.
Cool, thanks! I got an email a couple minutes ago that it's getting shipped today, ordered it around midnight last might

Viewt

It still had a lot. I dunno, I like the work it's doing.

He's clearly going for a different thing than his usual storytelling style. Parts of it are working and some parts aren't. If he can slip into the right groove, I think his run will still end up being really great. This issue was a huge improvement.

Lombaszko

Superman was really good this week. I'm not familiar with Aaron Kuder, but his style is great.
jbz8u8IdLOqqEv.jpg

Something very Frank Quitely or Chris Burnham about it. I would love it if he were taking over art.

While I recognize that a lot of DC books have great art they all look so....same-y to me :/

I feel the same way, usually. They do have a fair share of Iconoclasty guys tho.

I wonder if a lot of it has to do with coloring and costume design. I can't imagine a Dean White style on a tentpole book.

frye

Kuder is pretty great, yeah. I think he works in the same studio as Burnham?

With this week's UA, I was really digging it- a bit West Coast Avengers-y with Wonder Man/Scarlet Witch/Wasp which is cool - but holy shit what the fuck is up with Havok and the "M-word"? I guess it's only a Havok thing, but if it's not: woooooow.

I feel the same way, usually. They do have a fair share of Iconoclasty guys tho.

I wonder if a lot of it has to do with coloring and costume design. I can't imagine a Dean White style on a tentpole book.

Yeah, even though they do go for that kind of Jim Lee-style, it feels like the inkers/colourists purposely making them look similar a lot of the times.

kswiston

So glad remender abandoned the terrible narration in issues 3 and 4 of uncanny avengers. Wow that was bad.

He's still trying a retro approach to the narration/exposition:

ua_panel.jpg

However, he must be getting a better feel for it because issues 4 and 5 were not as bad as 2 and 3.

Acid08

Banned
I feel like all the DC books I Read have artist with distinct styles.(batman, Wonder Woman , aqua man )
I love Reis but I do feel like he fits into the same-y category for me. Gorgeous but not really super distinctive I guess. The rest of their main books do do a good job of differentiating the styles though.

ElNarez

Banned
On UA: I feel like the overwrought writing worked really well when it was something as crazy as Red Skull stealing Xavier's Brain for the Reich Eternal, but on an issue with more mundane stuff like #5 was, it doesn't work at all. It was very bleh.

kswiston

It is sort of funny that the best Apocalypse stories in over 15 years (if not Apocalypse's entire history) have come from the original character being dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom