• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
It is sort of funny that the best Apocalypse stories in over 15 years (if not Apocalypse's entire history) have come from the original character being dead.

Nah. It's the case with most big-name villains. New X-Men is the greatest Magneto story ever written.

kswiston

Nah. It's the case with most big-name villains. New X-Men is the greatest Magneto story ever written.

Unless you are talking about that one shot earlier in Morrison's run, I disagree. Planet X was Mark Millar levels of out of character. Even though I get what Morrison was going for, there were probably better ways to touch on the same themes that wouldn't have come off as pissing in X-Fans cornflakes.

Also, Magneto has had good stories: God Loves, Man Kills and Claremont's other 80s work, Magneto: Testament, etc.

Apocalypse peaked with Age of Apocalypse (and even in that he was sort of a background piece), with pretty much everything after being mediocre to terrible until Uncanny X-Force.

ElNarez

Banned
Unless you are talking about that one shot earlier in Morrison's run, I disagree. Planet X was Mark Millar levels of out of character. Even though I get what Morrison was going for, there were probably better ways to touch on the same themes that wouldn't have come off as pissing in X-Fans cornflakes.

There's more to Magneto's story than the storylines directly including him. For most of NXM, he's dead, and he exists as this Che Guevaresque icon whose shadow looms over mutantdom in a pretty big way. And I fucking love that, this exploration of what Magneto is and what he means.

I think that's why I dig the current Legacy so much, actually: because it's doing the same thing, but with Xavier. And in both cases, it's more than willing to go into the shitty, kinda scumbaggy side of those big figures. And that's fucking great.

frye

I feel Mahnke over Green Lantern has shifted his style to something more in line with how other books look, too. He's still good but even on JLA with Kelly, he looked much weirder.

Remender is being such a cunt on twitter.

"Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution."

I didn't care about what Havok said until I realized it wasn't a joke. Remender is really trying to make this "m-word" thing happen. LOL. How can someone writing a mutant comic be so clueless with X-Men history and context?

iunno:
https://twitter.com/televisionary/status/317351930672324608

Agree with ol Jacey

Finally diggin into all these hellblazer books i bought on comixology.

This comic is so good.

Only 7 issues in, but damn it hits all the right notes and the art/paneling is incredible.

ElNarez

Banned

It's absolutely the wrong way to go with regards to those things. "Erasing what makes you who you are so you can fit in" is a super fucked up way to look at integration. There are some more much better worded thoughts on this over there, so I'll just shut up for now, but, yeah, that's why people are somewhat offended, and telling them to drown in a pool of hobo piss is not an appropriate answer.

FoneBone

It's absolutely the wrong way to go with regards to those things. "Erasing what makes you who you are so you can fit in" is a super fucked up way to look at integration. There are some more much better worded thoughts on this over there, so I'll just shut up for now, but, yeah, that's why people are somewhat offended, and telling them to drown in a pool of hobo piss is not an appropriate answer.

Goddamn it, I was just going to post that link. But yeah. I'm sure Remender had good intentions, but it seems horribly ignorant of both real-life minority rights movements, and (as Supermanisdead referenced above) mutants' history as a minority metaphor in the Marvel U.

EDIT: Another good call-out on Twitter here. Remender ignores it.

frye

Not disagreeing with it being super shitty (the idea of "mutant" as the ~m-word~ breaks the already strained metaphor on soooo many levels) but Remender's comment is about continuity cops being mad, not the people angry because of the subtext (well, text really) of assimilation.

But yeah, if this is the way things are going (and not just Havok's weird shit) then this book is on really thin ice.

Viewt

It's definitely up there, but for me, this takes the cake.

magneto-testament.jpeg

You could argue that it's a Max Eisenhardt story, not a "Magneto" story, though.

Not disagreeing with it being super shitty (the idea of "mutant" as the ~m-word~ breaks the already strained metaphor on soooo many levels) but Remender's comment is about continuity cops being mad, not the people angry because of the subtext (well, text really) of assimilation.

But yeah, if this is the way things are going (and not just Havok's weird shit) then this book is on really thin ice.

Read that Beat piece, I dunno, I think all Alex is saying is that, yes, he's a mutant, but he's Alex first. The person who he is inside, and not the class/race/whatever that he's defined as.

Still honestly don't see the problem with that.

Nesotenso

I think the notion that "mutant" is divisive in the context of the marvel universe is valid and it makes no sense to engender such hostility towards a group when you have other genetic anomalies with super powers operating and no one seems that concerned about it when compared with someone born with powers. Just points out how ludicrous a concept discrimination against a certain subset of heroes is in the context of shared universe.

EDIT: Another good call-out on Twitter here. Remender ignores it.

Wow, his refusal to own what he wrote far tops Dan Slott's "how dare you think I wrote Doc Ock having sex with Aunt May," and rivals Mark Millar's "I totally didn't write a rape into a character's backstory in Ultimate Avengers" for sheer disingenuousness.

Nesotenso

Wow, his refusal to own what he wrote far tops Dan Slott's "how dare you think I wrote Doc Ock having sex with Aunt May," and rivals Mark Millar's "I totally didn't write a rape into a character's backstory in Ultimate Avengers" disingenuousness.

people using the first letter of an offensive word is not restricted to that single word but it is the most widely known or used one. What exactly is wrong with this response ?

frye

Read that Beat piece, I dunno, I think all Alex is saying is that, yes, he's a mutant, but he's Alex first. The person who he is inside, and not the class/race/whatever that he's defined as.

Still honestly don't see the problem with that.

Well, in doing so, Alex is basically going to the old "aren't we all part of the human race, heh heh" which is pretty appealing at first until you realize it's a call for homogeneity - where the idea that people are different (a Good Thing) is pretty much rejected. "We're all the same!" is the rallying cry of people who don't live in the real world.

It doesn't really make Uncanny Avengers a bad comic - Leaves of Grass is still a p good poem, right? - but it's an unsavoury message that no one should be spouting these days.

I had hope that he would be sidestepping it in some way in later issues but those new twitter responses are waaaaaack.

Nesotenso

Can anybody recommend me some comics with self-contained stories every issue kind of like Hawkeye?

not every issue is one and done but the current run of Daredevil by Mark Waid is stellar. You can follow most of the solo marvel books without the need to read everything.

people using the first letter of an offensive word is not restricted to that single word but it is the most widely known or used one. What exactly is wrong with this response ?

And isn't the whole point of this book about breaking down that barrier? Rogue
took Wonder Man's powers
for pete's sake. No clearer metaphor than that.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
not every issue is one and done but the current run of Daredevil by Mark Waid is stellar. You can follow most of the solo marvel books without the need to read everything.

I've had Daredevil on my radar. I meant stories that are generally only an issue or two long. I don't mind if it ties into other books. I already read a few Marvel titles.

akira28

mutant is the designation.
"mutie" is the insulting slur.

They should make their people read years worth of backlog, and take a written test before they're allowed to write for the comics.

"You're an American, not an Afro-American. Hyphenated Americans divide the country." Or something. It's like...do you have the stamina to engage or do you just keep on walking?

Nesotenso

Well, in doing so, Alex is basically going to the old "aren't we all part of the human race, heh heh" which is pretty appealing at first until you realize it's a call for homogeneity - where the idea that people are different (a Good Thing) is pretty much rejected. "We're all the same!" is the rallying cry of people who don't live in the real world.

It doesn't really make Uncanny Avengers a bad comic - Leaves of Grass is still a p good poem, right? - but it's an unsavoury message that no one should be spouting these days.

I had hope that he would be sidestepping it in some way in later issues but those new twitter responses are waaaaaack.

i don't think Remender is calling for homogeneity or conformation to the majority. the idea of "homo-superior" as a species offshoot is intensely stupid to begin with and mutants being the primary scapegoat facing backlash because of powers makes even lesser sense in the context of a shred universe.

I guess I don't see that as the core of that message. We're all the same because we're all individual. That's a core truth. And I think that's the message of the book.

And I don't see how it's ever a bad time to put forward that message.

mutant is the designation.
"mutie" is the insulting slur.

They should make their people read years worth of backlog, and take a written test before they're allowed to write for the comics.

"Jew" is also a designation that has been twisted into a slur. There are also plenty of worse slurs, but it doesn't make it okay for someone to go to me, "Hey, Jew!"

FoneBone

I guess I don't see that as the core of that message. We're all the same because we're all individual. That's a core truth. And I think that's the message of the book.

And I don't see how it's ever a bad time to put forward that message.

It's a "bad time" because rhetoric of that ilk is consistently spouted by the sort of people who think racism and homophobia only exist because minorities "complain" about it too much.
If the first part is true, how on earth could you get mad about the second?
Are you seriously arguing that authorial intent is the only thing that could possibly matter here? You're smarter than that.

akira28

"Jew" is also a designation that has been twisted into a slur. There are also plenty of worse slurs, but it doesn't make it okay for someone to go to me, "Hey, Jew!"

It'll be a week before I can get the issue everyone is talking about unless I want to spoil it with a google image search, but they already have an m-word was my point. And it sounds like he's making 'mutant' a bad word or a slur when it was the accepted proper term before.

"Hey, negro." "That's Mr. Negro to you."

Yes, god forbid someone who hasn't had cynicism beaten into their every pore write superhero comics.

naivete is never a desirable trait. Rather he be clear minded than cynical, but I might prefer cynicism to naivete in anyone who is in charge of something.

It's a "bad time" because rhetoric of that ilk is consistently spouted by the sort of people who think racism and homophobia only exist because minorities "complain" about it too much.

I don't think that's anything close to what Alex was saying or putting forth. I don't think he believes mutants just need to sit down and do what they're told and not complain.

Are you seriously arguing that authorial intent is the only thing that could possibly matter here? You're smarter than that.

I don't think it's the only thing that matters but I think that was a weird way to tautologically put that idea forward. If you're going to be mad at the writer but admit that he might not have meant it that way? In the same sentence?

FoneBone

I don't think it's the only thing that matters but I think that was a weird way to tautologically put that idea forward. If you're going to be mad at the writer but admit that he might not have meant it that way? In the same sentence?

I can be mad at him for writing something I think is clueless and for being childishly rude and dismissive of articulate criticism, yes.

No, I'm upset that he is telling people to drown in hobo piss and calling them "goobers" for questioning what he wrote. X-Men and mutants as a whole have always been a longstanding allegory for various minority groups, so when you have a mutant (who's been given the very important, very public position of mutant spokesperson) spouting assimilationist propaganda, you are going to get people talking.

I can be mad at him for writing something I think is clueless and for being childishly rude and dismissive of articulate criticism, yes.

No, I'm upset that he is telling people to drown in hobo piss and calling them "goobers" for questioning what he wrote. X-Men and mutants as a whole have always been a longstanding allegory for various minority groups, so when you have a mutant (who's been given the very important, very public position of mutant spokesperson) spouting assimilationist propaganda, you are going to get people talking.

I fully admit Remender is being a jerk about this.

I disagree that Alex is spouting assimilationist propaganda. In the context of the Marvel Universe, he's talking about equality not assimilation, unless you consider Xavier's dream assimilationist, which is fair. Magneto and Quentin Quire feel pretty much the same way.

I think this is just a place where the core metaphor stops working. Being a mutant in the Marvel Universe, while something that a real life minority can identify with, is not at all like being black or Jewish or gay in the real world.

hom3land

did a search and didn't find them. Weren't there Hawkeye wallpapers posted here earlier? If not any good sites to find them, preferably fit for sg3.

Isak_Borg

Didn't realize so many people would be up in arms about the latest issue of Uncanny Avengers. What I think Remender was going for was "Yes, I'm a mutant but I'm an individual first and instead of defining me by my mutation you should look at the character and individual behind it." Not sure where everyone is getting the assimilation and abandonment of culture identity.

As a minority I kind of understand where Remender is coming with this, I would much rather people judge me based on who I am as an individual as opposed to the color of my skin.

Owzers

So apart from mutie talk..

Spider-Woman by Bendis/Maleev, six issues into it, is a whole lot of nothing. I presume the pitch of this book is " hey, maleev is drawing spider-woman!' and that's it.

Also, I went back through his history and, sorry, the dude who pulled out an old X-Factor to contradict him is kind of being a Joyless Goober.

I do not endorse drinking Hobo Piss, tho.

FoneBone

I disagree that Alex is spouting assimilationist propaganda. In the context of the Marvel Universe, he's talking about equality not assimilation, unless you consider Xavier's dream assimilationist, which is fair. Magneto and Quentin Quire feel pretty much the same way.
Didn't realize so many people would be up in arms about the latest issue of Uncanny Avengers. What I think Remender was going for was "Yes, I'm a mutant but I'm an individual first and instead of defining me by my mutation you should look at the character and individual behind it." Not sure where everyone is getting the assimilation and abandonment of culture identity.

"Don't call me a mutant" is very different from "I'm a human first and a mutant second" or something of that ilk (though even that has its issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom