• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can name three books off the top of my head she's doing (Zero, Manhattan Projects, Moon Knight). I bet she totally has time to add a double shipped book! Aside from the colors I hate Bachalo's female costume designs, his Magik, Emma, and Lady Mastermind all have variations of the exact same costume.
Nowhere Men as well.

Messi

I ordered some books today. I got:

Lazarus Vol 1
Locke and Key Vol 2 HC
Nowhere Men Vol 1
Manhattan Projects Vol 1
Ravine Vol 1
Superior Spider-Man Vol 1 OHC
Harley Quinn : Preludes and knock knock jokes
X-Men Battle of the Atom HC
Gotham Central Vol 1
Oz: The Marvelous world if Oz HC
Fables Deluxe HC Vol 1

Rate how I did :p

tim1138

So basically Jordie is not only the best, but most prolific colorist going. I can dig it.

Someone was asking about Fear Itself the other day, whoever you were it's currently on sale on comixology.

Lazarus Vol 1
Locke and Key Vol 2 HC
Nowhere Men Vol 1
Manhattan Projects Vol 1
Ravine Vol 1
Gotham Central Vol 1
Fables Deluxe HC Vol 1

I wish I could read this again for the first time. So in my wheelhouse that it polices my wheelhouse.

Lazarus Vol 1
Locke and Key Vol 2 HC
Nowhere Men Vol 1
Manhattan Projects Vol 1
Ravine Vol 1
Gotham Central Vol 1
Fables Deluxe HC Vol 1

Nowhere men , ravine and Gotham central are dope .

Nowhere men site secret best image book

Toa TAK

Banned

Lazarus Vol 1
Locke and Key Vol 2 HC
Nowhere Men Vol 1
Manhattan Projects Vol 1
Ravine Vol 1
Gotham Central Vol 1
Fables Deluxe HC Vol 1

Quite the SUPERIOR list there.

Did GAF like Battle of the Atom?

New Punisher seems REALLY good so far, I'm very impressed.

I think you'll like the Batman and Robin run, it seems in your wheelhouse.

I don't know why you bought Sandman if you've not read the series yet. It's going to look very pretty but you'll get maybe 5% of it ;) tbh you could buy and read all 10 trades, one a month and catch up with the series before #3 comes out, get on that.

edit: oh dear triple post... I usually only do that in BGAF...

edit2:

I won't touch your trollbait last line there but here's an interesting point. Consider 'transcending the medium' as a tree growing from the comics page, up and up into the higher echelons of literature. I think Morrison at his best goes the other direction, digging into the soil and delving into the subterranea of the comics world. Where Gaiman is literary and approaches legit literature, Morrison descends into the medium of comics itself and does things that few are able to achieve.

Man it's too early for these heady metaphors. Sorry if I bogged you down with my weirdness :p

Cool, maybe I'll start getting the batman and robin then...

And I started borrowing the absolutes from my library and almost done with the first one. I doubt it would be hard to find but since releases are so spaced out I wanted to make sure I don't miss out on one and can't get it so I got it now but it'll obviously sit until I finish the sandman books already out.

How do you guys feel when a long running series seems to have no have end in sight? I still enjoy both The Walking Dead and Invincible for example but I feel like both have gotten long in the tooth and if they drag on for much longer I will hit the tipping point just drop em.

No matter how good a run is once we hit 75 issues plus I get a bit of franchise fatigue and I start thinking the title as a whole might benefit from wrapping up sooner rather than later, or getting a new creative team in there and effectively relaunching and taking it in a new direction.

In Today's WHY DC news

www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/07/the-new-52-booster-gold-series-that-never-was/

This book sounded amazing, it had kamandi!!!!!

4. Still struggling to make sense of his flashback, Booster is on the run with Canus, Kamandi, and Tuftan. But as the Red Lantern rat lays siege to the city, Booster fights back. He defeats his foe, even as the others repel the rats once and for all. It is revealed that the rats seek an artifact—a mythical golden lasso—which the tigers supposedly hold. Tuftan doesn’t know what they are talking about, but mention of the lasso inspires another flashback for Booster — a powerful woman and a super man, whose love doomed the world… but before he can unravel this new memory, Booster fades from reality again, and appears in a World War II foxhole with Sergeant Rock and the men from Easy Company.

So I tried Wolverine and the X-Men #1.

I didn't like it much at all. It did nothing to be new reader friendly for a #1.

Edit: Also, what happened Mahmud? I loved his artwork in Supergirl but something about his work in this book seems... off. Some of the characters still look good, like Rockslide, but the overall quality seems lower. I wonder if he doesn't do as well with alot of variation, as Supergirl tended to be much lower on the character count.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I tried Wolverine and the X-Men #1.

I didn't like it much at all. It did nothing to be new reader friendly for a #1.

I haven't enjoyed any of that run :( but I also hate x-books most of the time so I'm not a fair judge.

Yeah, didn't do much but I don't want to abandon it after one issue so ill get the next couple most likely.

I'll try a few more issues myself. I very rarely drop after one issue. Only Jupiter's Legacy has earned that distinction. Fuck whoever recommended that shit to me back when it came out.

Haven't read it yet but I imagine you would be confused it you haven't read Aaron's run .

Though I hear fantomex is in the book so it can't be all bad

Since I missed out on all the high brow Sandman discussion, I thought I'd steer things in the other direction. How do you feel about how fights are written these days?

I feel that a lot of the bigname writers have either forgotten or no longer care about how to pace fights and showcase powers. Maybe it's just Bendis, because he is the classic example of showing fights as a big splash page of people punching, with interchangeable quips overlayed over the art. AvX was a huge disappointment to me because a big part of the geeky awesomeness of such an event should be seeing how various Avengers stacked up against various X-Men power and skill wise. Even the AvX Versus series was pretty terrible in showcasing interesting fights.

I guess for me, the benchmark of a great fight is either something like Secret Wars or Ultimates 2. In Secret Wars, you had all these heroes and villains, many of whom really hadn't fought before, mixing it up with each other. You saw how Spidey would fare against the X-Men, Wolverine cutting off Absorbing Man's Arm, Spider vs Titania, all these great fights that really played with their powers and skillsets. Then you have Ultimates 2, which has some of the greatest pacing in a fight scene ever. I think Green Arrow has some great fights (vs Komodo in the graveyard, great pacing) as does the latest Forever Evil (Captain Cold and Manta definitely show off their powers/skills).

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were, and what they thought were some great fights. Also, maybe age matters. Maybe people who just started reading in the last few years don't notice this trend as much.

Haven't read it yet but I imagine you would be confused it you haven't read Aaron's run .

Though I hear fantomex is in the book so it can't be all bad

I'll read a synopsis I guess. But for comparisons sake, Amazing X-Men #1 was way easier to get into and I have absolutely no clue what was up with Nightcrawler.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yeah, I have no background and it's confusing as fuck for a #1. Feels like I'm missing a lot.

Missing out on all the good parts of the first WatXM run definitely meant you missed out anyway. Dunno if anyone's compiled a reading list that omits the long stretches of event tie ins, but even then Aaron sneaks in some good developments.

I guess reading Remenders Uncanny X-Force run is a good idea too due to the Fantomex and Evan stuff that looks to be important going forward.

They probably shouldn't have titled the new WatXM a #1 just because it has a new creative team, but hey MARVEL NOW.

Toa TAK

Banned
Hey guys, is The Winter Solider really the best villain in the Marvel Universe? I've been hearing this a lot recently, wanted to know what you peeps thought.

tim1138

Lazarus Vol 1
Locke and Key Vol 2 HC
Nowhere Men Vol 1
Manhattan Projects Vol 1
Ravine Vol 1
Gotham Central Vol 1
Fables Deluxe HC Vol 1

Locke and Key, Manhattan Projects, Oz, that's a great list Messi.

Xis

So, there's a big Fear Itself sale on Comixology right now. I don't want to spend $100, but I do want to pick up some of it. What's the most essential / best? I was thinking of picking up the main series, Iron Man, Journey into Mystery, and maybe The Fearless? Anything I am missing?

Missing out on all the good parts of the first WatXM run definitely meant you missed out anyway. Dunno if anyone's compiled a reading list that omits the long stretches of event tie ins, but even then Aaron sneaks in some good developments.

I guess reading Remenders Uncanny X-Force run is a good idea too due to the Fantomex and Evan stuff that looks to be important going forward.

They probably shouldn't have titled the new WatXM a #1 just because it has a new creative team, but hey MARVEL NOW.
Yeah, I mistakenly thought that it was a complete reboot and easier to get into like other #1s but its not at all. Have they made trades of the last run at all?

Since I missed out on all the high brow Sandman discussion, I thought I'd steer things in the other direction. How do you feel about how fights are written these days?

I feel that a lot of the bigname writers have either forgotten or no longer care about how to pace fights and showcase powers. Maybe it's just Bendis, because he is the classic example of showing fights as a big splash page of people punching, with interchangeable quips overlayed over the art. AvX was a huge disappointment to me because a big part of the geeky awesomeness of such an event should be seeing how various Avengers stacked up against various X-Men power and skill wise. Even the AvX Versus series was pretty terrible in showcasing interesting fights.

I guess for me, the benchmark of a great fight is either something like Secret Wars or Ultimates 2. In Secret Wars, you had all these heroes and villains, many of whom really hadn't fought before, mixing it up with each other. You saw how Spidey would fare against the X-Men, Wolverine cutting off Absorbing Man's Arm, Spider vs Titania, all these great fights that really played with their powers and skillsets. Then you have Ultimates 2, which has some of the greatest pacing in a fight scene ever. I think Green Arrow has some great fights (vs Komodo in the graveyard, great pacing) as does the latest Forever Evil (Captain Cold and Manta definitely show off their powers/skills).

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were, and what they thought were some great fights. Also, maybe age matters. Maybe people who just started reading in the last few years don't notice this trend as much.

I've thought of making a similar post myself. I've been reading old Claremont X-Men issues and I'm continually struck by just how well the fights are choreographed. Those fights required actual teamwork on both sides as well as creative uses of powers.

I just don't feel like I see much of that these days but I may be biased because I have recently been plowing through a lot of Bendis' work on New Avengers, Secret Invansion, etc and, as you say, all he does is shows splash pages with a huge crowd of people punching each other.

Maybe I'm just reading the wrong books but I would certainly be interested in hearing recommendations for current or recent books that have really well done action scenes. The main ones that come to mind, to me, are Morrison's Batman work, particularly the stuff that Chris Burnham drew in the second half of Inc.

EDIT- Another example of recent-ish weak action: Brubaker's Cap Run (at least up to Death of Cap since that's as far as I've read). I swear every action sequence is Cap blocking bullets with his shield and then ricocheting said shield across all of the bad guys. Cool the first couple of times but, after 25 issues of that, B-O-R-I-N-G!

tim1138

I have the Bendis/Maleev Moon Knight trades ready to pick up at the library, how much awesome am I in store for?

I've thought of making a similar post myself. I've been reading old Claremont X-Men issues and I'm continually struck by just how well the fights are choreographed. Those fights required actual teamwork on both sides as well as creative uses of powers.

I just don't feel like I see much of that these days but I may be biased because I have recently been plowing through a lot of Bendis' work on New Avengers, Secret Invansion, etc and, as you say, all he does is shows splash pages with a huge crowd of people punching each other.

Maybe I'm just reading the wrong books but I would certainly be interested in hearing recommendations for current or recent books that have really well done action scenes. The main ones that come to mind, to me, are Morrison's Batman work, particularly the stuff that Chris Burnham drew in the second half of Inc.

EDIT- Another example of recent-ish weak action: Brubaker's Cap Run (at least up to Death of Cap since that's as far as I've read). I swear every action sequence is Cap blocking bullets with his shield and then ricocheting said shield across all of the bad guys. Cool the first couple of times but, after 25 issues of that, B-O-R-I-N-G!

Wow, right after I posted I immediately thought of the Claremont X-Men. Classic example of showing how to use use fights as characterization. And I must be going through exactly what you are going through because all of the Marvel big event stuff is full of the boring punches that I'm growing tired of. Now, I'm going to have to disagree with you on Brubaker's Cap run though. It has been a while since I read it, but Cap and Winter Solider really are shield, punch, and kick kind of guys. I remember the fights being decently paced and interesting given his powers. Winter Soldier vs Iron Man is a good example of the kind of fight that tactically shows off his skills without it being a boring punchfest (though there are other, mary-sueish problems with that matchup).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yeah, I mistakenly thought that it was a complete reboot and easier to get into like other #1s but its not at all. Have they made trades of the last run at all?

8 Volumes presumably (not sure if the 8th one released in May goes allll the way up to #42, but I imagine it should?).

Vol 1 & 2 highly recommended for the core start, then Vol 3 and 4 is the AvsX gumpf, then some people didnt like the Frankenstein Circus arc (Vol 5), and so the real good shit is Vol 6-8.

Yeah, collectively people have seemingly forgotten how to actually write super-powers. Scarlet Spider had some great action I think though as Kaine's power set kept things nice and interesting.

Wow, right after I posted I immediately thought of the Claremont X-Men. Classic example of showing how to use use fights as characterization. And I must be going through exactly what you are going through because all of the Marvel big event stuff is full of the boring punches that I'm growing tired of. Now, I'm going to have to disagree with you on Brubaker's Cap run though. It has been a while since I read it, but Cap and Winter Solider really are shield, punch, and kick kind of guys. I remember the fights being decently paced and interesting given his powers. Winter Soldier vs Iron Man is a good example of the kind of fight that tactically shows off his skills without it being a boring punchfest (though there are other, mary-sueish problems with that matchup).

I've only made it to the Death of Cap Issue so I can't speak to how it changes after that. I'm probably exaggerating but so far most of Cap's enemies are groups of soldiers with guns so the situations just haven't been tactically interesting. I'm hoping that changes once Bucky takes the shield.

Owzers

So, there's a big Fear Itself sale on Comixology right now. I don't want to spend $100, but I do want to pick up some of it. What's the most essential / best? I was thinking of picking up the main series, Iron Man, Journey into Mystery, and maybe The Fearless? Anything I am missing?

Journey Into Mystery was a great series by Gillen, even though it started as a Fear Itself tie-in thingy. I'd read that just on its own merits, knowing that it continues for 20 more issues.

Apart from that, i'd save my money and stick to the main series.

Dysun

DC is killing me with these Lantern books since Johns left, they are all boring as hell.
I can't believe Red Lanterns is the only one I enjoy

Boogiepop

8 Volumes presumably (not sure if the 8th one released in May goes allll the way up to #42, but I imagine it should?).

Vol 1 & 2 highly recommended for the core start, then Vol 3 and 4 is the AvsX gumpf, then some people didnt like the Frankenstein Circus arc (Vol 5), and so the real good shit is Vol 6-8.

There's an Omnibus coming out in June that seems to cover the whole run. I just put down a preorder for it myself (read and really liked the first 2 trades a bit back). It looks like there's something separate called Alpha and Omega though that isn't collected? Do I need that? Should I pick that up?

Edit: I liked the Uncanny X-men tied to Fear Itself (haven't read any of the rest of the event, though).

Yeah, collectively people have seemingly forgotten how to actually write super-powers. Scarlet Spider had some great action I think though as Kaine's power set kept things nice and interesting.

I think maybe some writers think that style of writing is too "old school" and they want to get away from it? Like thought bubbles. Either that or they are too lazy because it really does require a lot of thinking and effort to write a good fight scene, and typically it doesn't really affect the plot (though great ones do!).

As for Scarlet Spider, I dropped it right at the start of the Venom crossover. I dropped Venom too. Both series just didn't seem interesting issue to issue and Microverse seemed dumb. Is Scarlet Spider (or Venom) worth picking up after that point if I didn't really care for the preceding issues? I think I liked the first arcs of both books, but then felt that the next arcs were dull.

I've only made it to the Death of Cap Issue so I can't speak to how it changes after that. I'm probably exaggerating but so far most of Cap's enemies are groups of soldiers with guns so the situations just haven't been tactically interesting. I'm hoping that changes once Bucky takes the shield.

I think Brubaker's Captain America really kicks into high gear once Bucky becomes the focus.

It's crazy that not only did marvel and DC kill 2 popular chapters but their replacement were some of the best stories ever .

They could have kept Bruce and Steve dead and I would not have cared one bit

Vyer

DC is killing me with these Lantern books since Johns left, they are all boring as hell.
I can't believe Red Lanterns is the only one I enjoy

I dropped them all except Red (which is awesome). It's a shame, as I really like GL in general.

Definitely get the Journey Into Mystery issues.

Lazarus Vol 1
Locke and Key Vol 2 HC
Nowhere Men Vol 1
Manhattan Projects Vol 1
Ravine Vol 1
Gotham Central Vol 1
Fables Deluxe HC Vol 1

Looks good to me. I ordered Nowhere Men and Revival this week myself. And Gotham Central, oh man, so good.

Okay so after not having read comic regularly since oh... about 1999 or so, I'm having a blast with Marvel Unlimited, and here's where I am now:

I started by reading Morrison's New X-Men, and Avengers Disassembled (and all its tie ins). Then I just read UXM from there until House of M. And damn... as someone who had never read HoM before, wow that was cool. I read ALL the tie ins with it too. That was great. It was like Age of Apocalypse, but better.

So basically, I'm in Marvel late 2005/early 2006 now trying to figure out what I should read between House of M and Civil War. I'm definitely doing all the Decimation books. Over the last two days I read Deadly Genesis and Son of M and both were great. Both were some really dark shit.

So I guess I'll read the other Decimation books, and maybe a few other major ongoing titles run between HoM and Civil War. UXM, Avengers, etc. Also, it seems like the Annihilation crossover also happened in 2006 before Civil War, so maybe I'll check that out too... there seems to be a lot of cosmic Marvel stuff that comes out of that. I know Son of M has a sequel called Silent War, but that appears to be in 2007, so I guess I'll hold off on that.

Do these plans seem solid? Is there anything else huge from that time frame I'm missing? After all this, I'll sink my teeth into Civil War and its tie ins and consequences. It's a little tough getting my gameplan down without spoiling myself too much, but I generally know more or less what most of the big events are about anyway, just not the details and specifics.

It seems like Marvel really got their groove back in the mid 2000's huh? All this is so much better than what was happening in the late 90's.

Pie and Beans

It looks like there's something separate called Alpha and Omega though that isn't collected? Do I need that? Should I pick that up?

Ah thats a spin-off where Quentin Quire has some fun being an asshole to Wolvie, although a little too creepy and he doesnt get expelled with Armor getting sucked into his mindscape as well. If you like the look of the art, then thats the best reason to pick it up. It isn't essential at all really.

As for Scarlet Spider, I dropped it right at the start of the Venom crossover. I dropped Venom too. Both series just didn't seem interesting issue to issue and Microverse seemed dumb. Is Scarlet Spider (or Venom) worth picking up after that point if I didn't really care for the preceding issues? I think I liked the first arcs of both books, but then felt that the next arcs were dull.

The Crossover was definitely the low-point of both books. Just far too irrelevant micoverse crap, crap new characters, and not even good Carnage. Scarlet Spider just kept escalating and getting amazing up right until CANCELLED :(

Conflicted on Venom as it spent too long kicking the can around post Remender's run (Remender's Secret Avengers run is damn good for more Agent Venom though), but i did like elements of it. The female sidekick he got for all of two issues was a good spin, but then CANCELLED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom