• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The Crossover was definitely the low-point of both books. Just far too irrelevant micoverse crap, crap new characters, and not even good Carnage. Scarlet Spider just kept escalating and getting amazing up right until CANCELLED :(

Conflicted on Venom as it spent too long kicking the can around post Remender's run (Remender's Secret Avengers run is damn good for more Agent Venom though), but i did like elements of it. The female sidekick he got for all of two issues was a good spin, but then CANCELLED.

Ah, remember the Stegman Scarlet Spider days. Then we got Stegman covers with Khoi Pham art, which is like getting a cadbury cream egg, opening it, biting in, and having jizz-covered spiders rocket out from inside.

Okay so after not having read comic regularly since oh... about 1999 or so, I'm having a blast with Marvel Unlimited, and here's where I am now:

I started by reading Morrison's New X-Men, and Avengers Disassembled (and all its tie ins). Then I just read UXM from there until House of M. And damn... as someone who had never read HoM before, wow that was cool. I read ALL the tie ins with it too. That was great. It was like Age of Apocalypse, but better.

So basically, I'm in Marvel late 2005/early 2006 now trying to figure out what I should read between House of M and Civil War. I'm definitely doing all the Decimation books. Over the last two days I read Deadly Genesis and Son of M and both were great. Both were some really dark shit.

So I guess I'll read the other Decimation books, and maybe a few other major ongoing titles run between HoM and Civil War. UXM, Avengers, etc. Also, it seems like the Annihilation crossover also happened in 2006 before Civil War, so maybe I'll check that out too... there seems to be a lot of cosmic Marvel stuff that comes out of that. I know Son of M has a sequel called Silent War, but that appears to be in 2007, so I guess I'll hold off on that.

Do these plans seem solid? Is there anything else huge from that time frame I'm missing? After all this, I'll sink my teeth into Civil War and its tie ins and consequences. It's a little tough getting my gameplan down without spoiling myself too much, but I generally know more or less what most of the big events are about anyway, just not the details and specifics.

It seems like Marvel really got their groove back in the mid 2000's huh? All this is so much better than what was happening in the late 90's.

I wouldn't stress about reading Annihilation before Civil War. Marvel Cosmic stays pretty separate. The Shi'ar X-Men stuff (which is sounds like you're reading now) does set up the later Cosmic event War of Kings.

The Crossover was definitely the low-point of both books. Just far too irrelevant micoverse crap, crap new characters, and not even good Carnage. Scarlet Spider just kept escalating and getting amazing up right until CANCELLED :(

Conflicted on Venom as it spent too long kicking the can around post Remender's run (Remender's Secret Avengers run is damn good for more Agent Venom though), but i did like elements of it. The female sidekick he got for all of two issues was a good spin, but then CANCELLED.

Ok, looks like I will try out the arc after the crossover and see if I like it.

Ah, remember the Stegman Scarlet Spider days. Then we got Stegman covers with Khoi Pham art, which is like getting a cadbury cream egg, opening it, biting in, and having jizz-covered spiders rocket out from inside.

Perfect.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Oh my, a lol is yours brave sir.

The art got a lot better after the simplistic Pham dip though. Never back to that Stegman level (sigh), but back to a far more fun and expressive style at the least.
0W5YBYD.jpg

The Christmas and Rodeo issues were laugh-a-minute.

tim1138

An anonymous source has told multiversitycomics.com that the following five books will launch from DC in June:

Booster Gold
Superman and ARGUS
Nightwing and Bluebird
Young Justice
The Forever People

Oddly enough, the one I believe is the the most likely is the Forever People. DiDio and Giffen are supposed to be launching a cult favorite title (that isn't Kamandi), and they've already collaborated on a surprisingly fun OMAC run.

I wish Reilly Brown did Scarlet Spider regularly after Stegman left. that Christmas issue was great. That Khoi Pham shit was hard to look at. I still gotta check out that Deadpool Infinite comic Brown's doing

An anonymous source has told multiversitycomics.com that the following five books will launch from DC in June:

Booster Gold
Superman and ARGUS
Nightwing and Bluebird
Young Justice
The Forever People

Oddly enough, the one I believe is the the most likely is the Forever People. DiDio and Giffen are supposed to be launching a cult favorite title (that isn't Kamandi), and they've already collaborated on a surprisingly fun OMAC run.

Interesting. If true I'd be in for all except Forever People.

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were, and what they thought were some great fights. Also, maybe age matters. Maybe people who just started reading in the last few years don't notice this trend as much.

I think about the fight sequence more than anything. To be frank, most fight sequences in superhero books, even in otherwise very good ones, aren't particularly interesting. The pacing is off, or the storytelling aint there, or the choreography is wonky, or various other quirks.

The ideal fight sequences shouldn't be show-stoppers, but natural extensions of the characters and their stories and motivations. They should have goals for the people involved(and the audience knows those goals so they can be involved and not just passive viewers), they're built up and paced well, its clear where all the people and places they're fighting at are in relation to one another, from panel to panel there's a clear "flow", you can see how they got in that position and how one panel translates to the next. The panels should be stories into themselves, snapshots of important moments that build up into one longer narrative.

Here's an easy example from The King. Light on background, wisely free of dialog, has a bit of Kirby's exaggeration for maximum effect, but it tells its story quite well.

cap.batroc.KIRBY_.jpg

There's a clear beginning, middle, and an end. You can tell how the figures ended up where they are between panels. Kirby puts emphasis on certain limbs for you to follow, like Batroc's leg winding up in panel one and he misses wildly in the second. Batroc's sweeping foot and Cap's hand draws your attention in the fourth panel, right where he brings it down in the fifth one, then starts to get out from underneath him in the sixth one. Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am.

But you don't have to be so conventional, and you can use your form to say something about the content. I hate to go back to the Morrison/Quitely well again, but those two guys knew what they're doing.

To set up, this is the new Batman and Robin's first night out fighting a Circus of Crime, including these martial artist triplets. Damian, proudly proclaiming his ninja/Batman heritage to anybody in ear shot, doesn't respect Grayson and thinks he can handle anything the world throws at him. Naturally, he's the first to leap to a fight.

jbkebDBrHklDCB.jpg

Quietly goes for a "realistic" approach to his day-glo superheroes fighting wacky characters. This is part of Morrison's intention that Batman and Robin be "Adam West Batman directed by David Lynch", to make the silly and weird just a bit dark and twisted. He doesn't use comic booky sound effects or action lines but playfully uses his environments and characters to tell the story, like how Damian's leg arcs through the smoke or the cute SMASH with the wall cracks. I've never seen kung fu triplets, but the great attention to detail Quitely shows them with makes them more plausible, their actions more believable, and hit with more impact. When they go from ready to catch Damian to finishing pose, you buy into it entirely. He's always aware of the size and shape of the room they're fighting in and where they are in relationship to it and each other(notice the cop hat in front of them in the second panel and the cop hat behind them in the third is a good way to mark how close they've gotten in the space between panels). He shifts the panel sizes and angles to emphasize chaotic movement, but he also draws tighter and tighter on Damian's face, his options dwindling down, overwhelmed by what's happening, until that last calm but kinda sad close-up where the arrogant son of Batman and ninja masters realizes he might actually be out of his league. and then BAM an explosive forward kick in a big panel to end the introspection as Robin flees.

But for one reason or another, be it laziness, incompetence or otherwise, most fights in comics today are kinda whatever. You see them and don't really think about them and then they are forgotten about. There's a craft to the fight scene.

Does Didio only write Jack Kirby characters or something

And I'm interested in most of those, until they reveal that they're all done by Scott Lobdell, Ann Nocenti, David Finch and Khoi Pham

kmfdmpig

Booster Gold
Superman and ARGUS
Nightwing and Bluebird
Young Justice
The Forever People

Down for booster gold, nightwing + bluebird and whatever Giffen is up to.

Superman and Argus. da heyl. I'm down with all of em unless lobdell or Noccenti are looking somewhere. Supposed to be some more in July too.

And for Booster Gold, if that's a pitch than I can get outs at the big league level.,i can become a comics superstar.

I think about the fight sequence more than anything. To be frank, most fight sequences in superhero books, even in otherwise very good ones, aren't particularly interesting. The pacing is off, or the storytelling aint there, or the choreography is wonky, or various other quirks.

The ideal fight sequences shouldn't be show-stoppers, but natural extensions of the characters and their stories and motivations. They should have goals for the people involved(and the audience knows those goals so they can be involved and not just passive viewers), they're built up and paced well, its clear where all the people and places they're fighting at are in relation to one another, from panel to panel there's a clear "flow", you can see how they got in that position and how one panel translates to the next. The panels should be stories into themselves, snapshots of important moments that build up into one longer narrative.

Here's an easy example from The King. Light on background, wisely free of dialog, has a bit of Kirby's exaggeration for maximum effect, but it tells its story quite well.

cap.batroc.KIRBY_.jpg

There's a clear beginning, middle, and an end. You can tell how the figures ended up where they are between panels. Kirby puts emphasis on certain limbs for you to follow, like Batroc's leg winding up in panel one and he misses wildly in the second. Batroc's sweeping foot and Cap's hand draws your attention in the fourth panel, right where he brings it down in the fifth one, then starts to get out from underneath him in the sixth one. Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am.

But you don't have to be so conventional, and you can use your form to say something about the content. I hate to go back to the Morrison/Quitely well again, but those two guys knew what they're doing.

To set up, this is the new Batman and Robin's first night out fighting a Circus of Crime, including these martial artist triplets. Damian, proudly proclaiming his ninja/Batman heritage to anybody in ear shot, doesn't respect Grayson and thinks he can handle anything the world throws at him. Naturally, he's the first to leap to a fight.

jbkebDBrHklDCB.jpg

Quietly goes for a "realistic" approach to his day-glo superheroes fighting wacky characters. This is part of Morrison's intention that Batman and Robin be "Adam West Batman directed by David Lynch", to make the silly and weird just a bit dark and twisted. He doesn't use comic booky sound effects or action lines but playfully uses his environments and characters to tell the story, like how Damian's leg arcs through the smoke or the cute SMASH with the wall cracks. I've never seen kung fu triplets, but the great attention to detail Quitely shows them with makes them more plausible, their actions more believable, and hit with more impact. When they go from ready to catch Damian to finishing pose, you buy into it entirely. He's always aware of the size and shape of the room they're fighting in and where they are in relationship to it and each other(notice the cop hat in front of them in the second panel and the cop hat behind them in the third is a good way to mark how close they've gotten in the space between panels). He shifts the panel sizes and angles to emphasize chaotic movement, but he also draws tighter and tighter on Damian's face, his options dwindling down, overwhelmed by what's happening, until that last calm but kinda sad close-up where the arrogant son of Batman and ninja masters realizes he might actually be out of his league. and then BAM an explosive forward kick in a big panel to end the introspection as Robin flees.

But for one reason or another, be it laziness, incompetence or otherwise, most fights in comics today are kinda whatever. You see them and don't really think about them and then they are forgotten about. There's a craft to the fight scene.

God I love this post. These fights highlights the pacing and storytelling aspect of fights vs the interesting usage of powers (mainly because of the people involved). It must be laziness (compared to the thought that went into the Robin vs Kung-Fu cojoined triplet fight) or an aversion to "old school" fisticuffs (Kirby scene) that prevents some writers from doing the same.

cap.batroc.KIRBY_.jpg

jbkebDBrHklDCB.jpg

Recent Quality Fights:
Schitti on most recent issue of Mighty Avengers
Archer And Armstrong: Various (but especially this week's gun-fu versus Bloodshot)

Anyone have any info on identifying how The Walking Dead issues were marked concerning print run? I noticed on some later ones there is no print run number. Is this normal?

I'm guessing that Multiversity's "anonymous source" is Anonymous; a poster on 4chan's /co/ released that information last night, claiming to have accessed DC's site and pulled the advance titles off their server with no other information or means of backing it. Similar claims have been made in the past and the information proved mostly accurate; still, grain of salt and all that.

Also,

Heh. :D

tim1138

I'd probably go for Young Justice, Booster Gold and the Forever People (they sound amazing).

The Forever People are amazing.

GrandHarrier said:
Dunno bro, I'm not a big Fourth World fan. Outside of Darkseid and Orion my interest fast wanes

I may have to seriously reconsider our friendship now. All kidding aside, the Fourth World is to me as the LSH is to you.

Spike Spiegel said:
I'm guessing that Multiversity's "anonymous source" is Anonymous; a poster on 4chan's /co/ released that information last night, claiming to have accessed DC's site and pulled the advance titles off their server with no other information or means of backing it. Similar claims have been made in the past and the information proved mostly accurate; still, grain of salt and all that.

That actually makes it more likely to me, there's been a guy leaking solicit stuff early for the past two months. That's how we found out about Justice League Canada becoming United, the Forever Evil Arkham Aftermaths book and a few others ahead of time.

Well after over 10 years of going to the same comic book store I have decided to just order them online from midtown comics now. I liked going in and geeking out with the people that worked there but the drive and cost to actually get to the store isn't really worth it anymore when I can come home and my comics are there.

The Forever People are amazing.

I may have to seriously reconsider our friendship now. All kidding aside, the Fourth World is to me as the LSH is to you.

That actually makes it more likely to me, there's been a guy leaking solicit stuff early for the past two months. That's how we found out about Justice League Canada becoming United, the Forever Evil Arkham Aftermaths book and a few others ahead of time.

How about this bro; I will promise to at least buy the first issue if it turns out to be true.

Unai

Guys, I've alwayns been a DC guy. I'm thinking about buying some marvel books that are new reader friendly and with characters I like. So I thought about Superior Spider Man, Thor and a x-men book. My question is: Which x-men? I'm so confused with so many x-men titles. (I will buy them in trades)

Guys, I've alwayns been a DC guy. I'm thinking about buying some marvel books that are new reader friendly and with characters I like. So I thought about Superior Spider Man, Thor and a x-men book. My question is: Which x-men? I'm so confused with so many x-men titles. (I will buy them in trades)

Start with X-Men: Schism, then move onto Wolverine & The X-Men: Regenesis (or wait for the omnibus).

If you're getting Superior Spider-Man with no prior knowledge, it may be worth getting Amazing Spider-Man: Dying Wish for background.

How about this bro; I will promise to at least buy the first issue if it turns out to be true.

Even if Lobdell is writing it? With him off Superman and Teen Titans ending, I fear for these titles.

That being said, if it turns out to be true, I'd be interested in all of them save for Superman and ARGUS.

For Thor, try Thor: The Mighty Avenger or the currently ongoing Thor: God of Thunder. The latter one has two volumes out already: God Butcher and God-Bomb.

Messi

Who would want to read marvel books when you could read all about DC's well written female heroes.

Why read She Hulk when you can read Batgirl, Why read MS Marvel when you can about Catwomans nonsensical trips underground. You guys are missing out.

My experience with Amazing X-Men has been pretty good. It's only on issue #4.

Even if Lobdell is writing it? With him off Superman and Teen Titans ending, I fear for these titles.

I have all of Katana. My body is ready.

Who would want to read marvel books when you could read all about DC's well written female heroes.

Why read She Hulk when you can read Batgirl, Why read MS Marvel when you can about Catwomans nonsensical trips underground. You guys are missing out.

I can't even tell if this is sarcasm anymore! I'm going to say it is, because if you really meant it, you would have mentioned Harley Quinn.

Messi

I can't even tell if this is sarcasm anymore! I'm going to say it is, because if you really meant it, you would have mentioned Harley Quinn.

I don't even know anymore. I re read all of Catwoman over the past two days and I don't know man. Is it really that bad?

I don't even know anymore. I re read all of Catwoman over the past two days and I don't know man. Is it really that bad?

Early Nocenti Catwoman isn't terrible
just bad
. But just like Selena's descent into the underground, so too has Nocenti's dialogue followed in a spiral of gibbering nonsensicalness.

Messi

I actually haven't read new 52 Catwoman, I've just heard bad things. In fact, I seem to recall most of it was from you Messi! I believe your post was "something something Nocenti hate something cries in a corner."

I've stayed in the Nocenti light too long. I am still holding out hope that the next arc will turn it around and make the book legitimately good. I shouldn't have to read my Catwoman books alone in a corner here :(. Please just fix the inane babbling dialog.

Is birds of prey actually good or is that just me. My quality bar is suspect at times. But I've read 20 issues and I think I'm enjoying it. I really like
Mary

I've stayed in the Nocenti light too long. I am still holding out hope that the next arc will turn it around and make the book legitimately good. I shouldn't have to read my Catwoman books alone in a corner here :(. Please just fix the inane babbling dialog.

Is birds of prey actually good or is that just me. My quality bar is suspect at times. But I've read 20 issues and I think I'm enjoying it. I really like
Mary

I've only read the BoP that was cut short by the New 52. It wasn't to my liking. Would you rank it above or below that series? Also, on a tangent, did you watch the show? I only saw the first few episodes, then gave up. Did it pick up in quality or at least end on a high note? Should have gotten the girl from Jericho to be new CW Huntress in Arrow!

Messi

I've only read the BoP that was cut short by the New 52. It wasn't to my liking. Would you rank it above or below that series? Also, on a tangent, did you watch the show? I only saw the first few episodes, then gave up. Did it pick up in quality or at least end on a high note? Should have gotten the girl from Jericho to be new CW Huntress in Arrow!

I have not read any BOP bar the new 52 series.

Alot of great in depth discussion going on this month. I totally agree about the fight scenes. To be fair though, is comparing today's artists to Kirby really a fair comparison?

Captain Britain has comics?

I joke to keep myself from crying about the pre-mature death of Captain Britain and the MI13. VAMPIRE MISSILES FROM THE MOON, PEOPLE.

Captain Britain has comics?

I joke to keep myself from crying about the pre-mature death of Captain Britain and the MI13. VAMPIRE MISSILES FROM THE MOON, PEOPLE.

I was buying Revolutionary War for a reason...

And man, when Captain Britain and the MI13 was cancelled, I kind of thought that he would at least see some more play in the whole Heroic Age thing. He was in the background for tons of promotional material! All I got was some minor stuff in an AvX tie-in =(

A comic that was canceled ( twice) before it's time was Jeff Parker's agents of atlas .

Talking monkey, giant robot, an alien .

Book was so fun

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

cap.batroc.KIRBY_.jpg

jbkebDBrHklDCB.jpg

Probably one of the best posts I've ever read in ComicGAF, and possibly the forum as a whole. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

I'm not always a fan of Quitely (visually I just never appreciated his X-Men unfortunately), but he was killing it on Batman and Robin (the masks help!). After he and Morrison were done with Batman, that was when I was done with DC. No room for going up anymore, so I was out. I also just couldnt accept DickBats being taken away from canon when it was SO GOOD.

A comic that was canceled ( twice) before it's time was Jeff Parker's agents of atlas .

Talking monkey, giant robot, an alien .

Book was so fun

While I don't think the ongoing was as good as the initial mini, I too was sad that AoA never got the chance to really stretch its legs. Let's be honest though, the only thing that could have saved it was Captain Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom