• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's.... so many things, man. It's "about" a guy's favourite superhero as a kid coming into existence, right? So on one hand it's Milligan's big superhero opus, what Watchmen is to Moore or Flex Mentallo is to Morrison, but it's also way more than that. It's a story about love and self-discovery and queerness and identity and trying to desperately communicate something that isn't so easily gotten across. It's the monotony of everyday life when you aren't being true to yourself, and the clarity of realization when you are, which sounds cheesy and it is but it's also so so perfect.

The basic gist is a fictional superhero called the Enigma and some of his various villains come to life in the real world, and this guy who used to read his books, Michael Smith, finds himself drawn into this big mystery of how this came to be. It becomes a LOT more than that, but I don't want to spoil the discovery.

Its hard for me to talk about Enigma without going over all its little details or its wonderfully complex-yet-organic narrative structure that handles themes of identity and sexuality in an intelligent and thought-provoking way, or how perfectly Fegredo's art subtly shifts and changes from issue to issue to match Milligan's prose and ideas, or how even the smallest pieces of media we consume can have huge, profound effects on our lives in ways you hadn't figured, or its perfect twisty ending where all the themes crystallize. And besides all that shit, its just a very engaging read with great characters, a highly compelling plot, fantastic artwork that captures all the tiny mannerisms and body language, and Milligan's sly dark humor that means it never veers into cold navel-gazing( “It was an ordinary farm in Arizona. The kind of place where you’d have sexual relations with your parents and end up shooting someone.”)

If you ever listened to any of my blind recommendations, this would be the one, I'd hope. It's REALLY fuckin' good.

Thanks, dudes--sounds perfect for me. I'll be picking it up, so expect some future discussion after it drops.

some cool-looking DC stuff coming out later in the year

-Dark Knight Dark City
-New Teen Titans (apparently they shit the bed on the 3rd omnibus, so hopefully they get to the later content in the way it's supposed to be)
-Old school Nightwing and Superman stuff
-didn't know Marv Wolfman and Aaron Kuder were doing Superboy, but i looked it up and Kuder... wrote an issue???
-didn't know Morrison/Quitely did a Earth 2 thing
-SECRET SIX FINALLY
-bigger iZombie volumes, but i would've been cool if it were a few bucks more for a deluxe HC
-Enigma sounds cool from the sounds of it
-that JSA Vol. 2 is FUCKING HUGE. they could've split it into two more omnis so that one didn't have to have over 50 issues

some cool-looking DC stuff coming out later in the year

-Dark Knight Dark City
-New Teen Titans (apparently they shit the bed on the 3rd omnibus, so hopefully they get to the later content in the way it's supposed to be)
-Old school Nightwing and Superman stuff
-didn't know Marv Wolfman and Aaron Kuder were doing Superboy, but i looked it up and Kuder... wrote an issue???
-didn't know Morrison/Quitely did a Earth 2 thing
-SECRET SIX FINALLY
-bigger iZombie volumes, but i would've been cool if it were a few bucks more for a deluxe HC
-Enigma sounds cool from the sounds of it
-that JSA Vol. 2 is FUCKING HUGE. they could've split it into two more omnis so that one didn't have to have over 50 issues

Where are you seeing this stuff?

Mine came in today. Can't wait to re-read this glorious thing.

I literally have no clue what it is other than the description on Amazon. I'm familiar with Remenders Fear Agent, Black Science, and Deadly Class which I love. This will be my first Marvel work of his that I will read. I'm super excited as the team he writes sounds amazing.

NlWo9DD.jpg
The direct-to-video 'Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths' was loosely based on it.

It's also very short, nowhere close to the 144 pages they're soliciting, so I wonder what they're going to use to pad it out.

arkon

Lots of good collected material on that list. I'm tempted by the GL omnibus even though I have the regular hardcovers of GL through Brightest Day.

What's Ostrander's Martian Manhunter series like? Worth reading?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Batman Vol 5 -- still no sign of DC including #18-20 anywhere.

Absolute Batman Inc -- will this include those alleged redone pages by Burnham? If not, they'll probably never happen, and I can finally take the plunge on finishing Morrison's Batman saga.

Batman: Eternal -- wow, so that's how DC's going to do it, collect the first 20 weekly issues in one massive volume come December.

Nightwing -- I'll be tempted to check out that original run.

The Spectre and Martian Manhunter -- nice to see DC plans to continue collecting these Ostrander runs.

Aquaman and the Others Vol 1 -- DC is apparently not going to include Ostrander's Aquaman #20 or the annual he did featuring The Others. WTF.

New Frontier -- looks like they're taking the Absolute Edition and putting it in paperback form, which is nice for me. I've strangely never read this despite being a big Cooke fan.

Batman: Dark Night, Dark City -- feel like I've heard notable things about this. Intrigued.

Trillium -- can't wait.

The Wake -- can't wait.

Scalped Deluxe -- I'm shocked they're already moving onto this. Great news for those who haven't already invested in the series, or those who want to double dip.

Ostrander in his prime was a better writer than most writers today. Check out his runs on Suicide Squad, The Spectre, Hawkworld, and Grimjack. His Star Wars Legacy stuff is legit too.

I'm so bummed that DC stopped printing those Suicide Squad trades after the first one. Not even a few omnibuses? I'd even accept a huge ass one

Owzers

Ooooh. Well then, that might just be my first Absolute Edition.

It's going to be glorious, i didn't really dig the first batman inc arc because the plot made my head spin, but the second was great and it will be fun reading it through.

Owzers

^ you have the best Zatanna statue that i didn't buy because i got the best Catwoman statue instead, which you also have ( dc cover girls Hughes one).

Boogiepop

do you read digital comics at all? Marvel Unlimited? If you subscribe today, it's a sxsw special for 99 cents for a month. You could read all of Uncanny X-Force, the deadpool stuff, most of WATXM, lots of stuff. marvel code is sxsw99. The ios app is great, android not so much but allegedly an update is coming to make it less suck. Can't help on fear itself deadpool or longshot.

It's a nice deal, I'm sure, but I've never felt right with digital or the netflix model. I just like to have something in my hands!

Also, in a weird note: turns out my friend who's more into comics than me and has been my source of much comics reading was already picking up the Uncanny X-Force Omnibus and has plans to pick up the WATXM omnibus too. I considered holding on, but honestly he'll loan them to me anyway, and if I was going to double down on something from his collection that I don't own myself there's higher priorities.

However, this did free up some potential spending money, and my eyes have turned towards the Invincible Compendium sets. They seem to be a good price for a ton of comic, and I've only ever read the first trade way back when. Would they make for a good choice?

Owzers

I really like the Ultimate Collections of Invincible, but the compendiums are a fantastic value. The comic is great though so it shouldn't be passed up either way. Kirkman has done a commendable job keeping Invincible interesting, whereas Walking Dead has struggled a bit.

Cheska

^ you have the best Zatanna statue that i didn't buy because i got the best Catwoman statue instead, which you also have ( dc cover girls Hughes one).

Incredible library you got Cheska.

Uncanny X-Force omnibus looks great. Awesome collection as well
Thanks so much guys!!

How are the pages in the c force omni!

Honestly the pages are still thinner than I'd like them to be. Maybe not as bad as the Infinity omnibus but definitely not as high quality as some of the others. I still think it's worth the purchase though, especially at the IST/DCBS price.

Owzers

Cleaning out the clutter:

Ultimate Comics Thor trade by Hickman. It was a decent story leading into Millar's initial Ultimates run, but i'd be happier reading these type of things on MU and not owning the trade. You get a very brief 4 issues series about Thor's pre-Ultimates days both in Asgard and then later under Europe's Super Soldier lab for testing/questioning, neither are particularly great but give a more insight into who Ultimate Thor is. It doesn't really stand out and i'm didn't like Pacheco's art, seemed very....flat and stretched.

next: Avengers: Red Zone hardcover by Johns.

Vibranium

Banned
Just dropped the bomb on Waid's Daredevil digitally on Comixology ($30 DESTROYS Canadian retailers as usual), since I always trashed my floppies in the past. No regrets, this man and his amazing artists deserve every cent. #Mark Waid for next Amazing Spider-Man writer, you heard it here first folks.

If only Alonso wasn't a short-sighted person and realized that a $2.99 price point could help get even more people into DD's relaunch, tons of us are gonna pay the higher price for quality, but just thinking about the untapped audience makes me sick.

The dude is rightly pushing for female diversity (more Marvel female books on the way according to today's Axel in Charge), yet for all future issues he's charging $3.99 for stuff like Captain Marvel, Elektra, etc??! He's going to kill important books for the line in under 20 issues. It makes me so sad...

Long upcoming post!

IST package arrived!

Further pictures of Uncanny X-Force Omnibus, bonus kitty picture :p

And finally, I got all my currents trades, etc arranged! Further pictures in the link below.

Pictures of current comic set up and other fun stuff!
Marry me Cheska. We can combine our collections

Just dropped the bomb on Waid's Daredevil digitally on Comixology ($30 DESTROYS Canadian retailers as usual), since I always trashed my floppies in the past. No regrets, this man and his amazing artists deserve every cent. #Mark Waid for next Amazing Spider-Man writer, you heard it here first folks.

If only Alonso wasn't a short-sighted person and realized that a $2.99 price point could help get even more people into DD's relaunch, tons of us are gonna pay the higher price for quality, but just thinking about the untapped audience makes me sick.

The dude is rightly pushing for female diversity (more Marvel female books on the way according to today's Axel in Charge), yet for all future issues he's charging $3.99 for Ms. Marvel??! He's going to kill an important book for the line in under 20 issues. It makes me so sad for the creative team on something that could easily be fixed with flexible pricing...
Axel knows what he is doing brah.

Vibranium

Banned
Ms. Marvel is supposed to be 2.99, are you thinking of Captain Marvel, which is 3.99?

Yeah, I messed up, I meant stuff like Captain Marvel, Elektra (what the hell is he thinking, this should be the same price as Ms. Marvel!?), Punisher, etc ($3.99 when Rucka's run was already feeling the pinch).

Axel knows what he is doing brah.

No, YOU know what you're doing Rafa. Bust your ass off at Wal Mart so you can replace that clown. Hustle, loyalty and respect mean a lot in this world these days.

Long upcoming post!

I just went through your imgur photos. Damn! That is such an impressive collection.

I was organizing my own trades collection a couple of days ago. I don't have a lot, but I've got most of my favorite runs sorted out. Y: The Last Man, Fables, Runaways, both Frank Miller and Ed Brubaker's Daredevil runs, lots of Punisher and Captain America stuff, etc.

All that comes out to basically the equivalent of two of your shelves. :p

Space considerations has forced me to go almost exclusively digital, but nothing beats an awesome comic collection like yours.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
goddamn, just went to go pick up today and I noticed the shift in reading material labels

photo14io9s.jpg

this is extra weird considering I just spent a whole weekend going through the long boxes of my parents place and all it was was DC/Marvel with a single box (and a half) for IDW/IMAGE/ETC...

how times have changed.

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 1
Geoff Johns, Ivan Reis, Ethan Van Sciver
On Sale Date: February 3, 2015
$99.99 USD / $112.00 CAD
1008 pages Hardback
Comics & Graphic Novels / Superheroes
9781401251345, 140125134X
Summary: The New York Times best-selling and critically acclaimed series GREEN LANTERN written by Geoff Johns begins here!
It’s been years since the the death of Hal Jordan and the end of the Green Lantern Corps. But as the Torchbearer Kyle Rayner is about to find out, the adventure of epic and mythological proportions is about to begin as the former Lantern returns to the land of the living to atone for his sins. And the cosmos will never be the same as Sinestro wages his war against the Green Lanterns with his newly founder, Sinestro Corps!

Yes!! I have been waiting for this announcement. Please don't mess this up DC.

A little disappointed that instead of releasing a deluxe edition collection of Batman, Inc New 52, DC have gone with the Absolute format. I wanted Grant Morrison's epic in one format.

What prior knowledge of thor do you need in order to read Gillens journey into mystery? I've read the JMS run and a couple of issues immediately following (with dr doom killing Gilda) and that's about it

Thanks so much guys!!

Honestly the pages are still thinner than I'd like them to be. Maybe not as bad as the Infinity omnibus but definitely not as high quality as some of the others. I still think it's worth the purchase though, especially at the IST/DCBS price.
How bad is the infinity omnibus? Is it still worth getting?

Oh my god, are people still complaining about the thickness of the paper? Yes, it's thinner than past Marvel hardcovers, but I think people are making a much bigger deal about it than it actually is.
I think paper quality is a legitimate concern, especially when it comes to Marvel. They have shown time and time again they will cut corners and put the crappiest product out there while increasing price. There is no reason the pages of Infinity should look like someone poured water on it a few days after breaking shrinkwrap. Marvel and Axel Alonso need to have some pride. If their stories aren't worth enough to them to get decent paper why is it worth my money?

Messi

Long upcoming post!

IST package arrived!

Further pictures of Uncanny X-Force Omnibus, bonus kitty picture :p

And finally, I got all my currents trades, etc arranged! Further pictures in the link below.

Pictures of current comic set up and other fun stuff!

Holy shiiiiiit what a collection. I have two questions. Are the Batwoman and Batgirl Statues nice quality? And would you mind showing us those Harley and others prints on your wall. They look awesome.

Did someone say they are doing new printings of Gotham City Sirens?

Eldren

Holy crap, Cheska your collection is amazing! So neatly organised as well. I see a lot of cool non-comics stuff too; I love those Persona figures, and the Nathan Drake ones look awesome. And Piplup!

Did someone say they are doing new printings of Gotham City Sirens?

Yep:

Gotham City Sirens Book One
Paul Dini, Guillem March
On Sale Date: October 28, 2014
$24.99 USD / $28.99 CAD
320 pages Paperback / softback / Trade paperback (US)
9781401251758, 1401251757
Summary: This graphic novel features the bad girls of Gotham City! Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are tired of playing by other people’s rules regardless of which side of the law they’re on. These tough ladies have a new agenda that’s all their own, and they’ll use any means necessary to pursue it. But can they get along and work as a team? And who will get hurt along the way?

I'll be picking that up I reckon, I was really interested in it but I never got around to buying any of the trades.

Messi

Holy crap, Cheska your collection is amazing! So neatly organised as well. I see a lot of cool non-comics stuff too; I love those Persona figures, and the Nathan Drake ones look awesome. And Piplup!

Yep:

Gotham City Sirens Book One
Paul Dini, Guillem March
On Sale Date: October 28, 2014
$24.99 USD / $28.99 CAD
320 pages Paperback / softback / Trade paperback (US)
9781401251758, 1401251757
Summary: This graphic novel features the bad girls of Gotham City! Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are tired of playing by other people’s rules regardless of which side of the law they’re on. These tough ladies have a new agenda that’s all their own, and they’ll use any means necessary to pursue it. But can they get along and work as a team? And who will get hurt along the way?

I'll be picking that up I reckon, I was really interested in it but I never got around to buying any of the trades.

Great, I only have the single issues but would love the trade for easy access and reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom