• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

I was really hoping for some Unwritten hardcovers....

I really hope Morrison's Doom Patrol gets the DHC treatment that the Invisibles is getting. The omnibus is ridiculously huge for that and I'd prefer hardcovers to the existing paperbacks.

Back to PRJ for a minute, I hope the paper quality is better on the hardcover. I looked at the tpb a couple times and the paper quality seemed pretty bad, it was my favorite series of 2012 and I'm more than willing to double dip but the collection has to be worth the money.

I really hope Morrison's Doom Patrol gets the DHC treatment that the Invisibles is getting. The omnibus is ridiculously huge for that and I'd prefer hardcovers to the existing paperbacks.

Back to PRJ for a minute, I hope the paper quality is better on the hardcover. I looked at the tpb a couple times and the paper quality seemed pretty bad, it was my favorite series of 2012 and I'm more than willing to double dip but the collection has to be worth the money.
Did you by the singles? I liked the paper in it. It really fit with the art and made it pop. It was similar to the old school vertigo paper but a tad thicker to me.

tim1138

Did you by the singles? I liked the paper in it. It really fit with the art and made it pop. It was similar to the old school vertigo paper but a tad thicker to me.

Not in print, I'm 100% digital for single issues, comixology is my LCS.
And man, does that book look good digitally.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any good pull list apps? I use Comixology's website but it doesn't work very well on my phone and the release dates are wrong sometimes.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. I just got back from a four day trip to Seattle and I come home to this DC collected edition news.

Firstly, OH MY GOODNESS YES ABSOLUTE BATMAN INCORPORATED AND IT INCLUDES BOTH VOLUME 1 AND 2.
I've wanted this SO BADLY ever since I read Batman Inc. I'll be buying this day one. I am so so so excited for this.

Also, glad to see Ronin is getting a Deluxe Edition. It seemed a bit silly not to have it in one. Of course this announcement comes literally the day after I received my Ronin TPB in the mail (and the Deluxe Edition would've been just $1.50 more on IST than what I paid for the TPB, but whaaatever).

Thirdly, I am so excited that Scooby Team-Up is getting a TPB. I read the first issue of it and it was great fun. I'll definitely be getting this.

Lastly, about time Scalped gets a deluxe edition! So glad it's finally getting the treatment it deserves.

Also, it's great to see DC releasing quite a few omnibuses. None of these really sparked my interest, but as someone who likes omnibuses in general, I'm very pleased to see them going that direction.

Edit:

Burnham confirmed on twitter that he redid those 20+ pages of fill-ins, so you should see them in there.

And I thought I couldn't get any more excited for this...

Hi guys, new member here and been waiting to make my first post in this thread! Anyway, has anyone been following Red Team by Garth Ennis and Craig Cermak? The final issue came out this week and man... it's been one hell of a ride. Both the art and writing complement each other perfectly. Would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a grounded take on vigilante cops.

DarkSloth

What prior knowledge of thor do you need in order to read Gillens journey into mystery? I've read the JMS run and a couple of issues immediately following (with dr doom killing Gilda) and that's about it

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I went into JIM completely blind solely because I was following Fear Itself at the time. It quickly became my favorite book.

Owzers

Just saw Thor 2 a few days ago....whereas i thought Thor had a great opening then devolved into a dumb non-comedy non-action movie, Thor 2 just felt plain. And bad. It was funnier and sharper than the first movie, but the action wasn't good. The enemy wasn't interesting, same with the destroyer. Loki's RAGE was embarrassing at times. The way they worked Natalie Portman's character into the movie was a nuisance at best, she's important because she was made important, not because she actually does anything.

While i was watching the movie i didn't notice how little i cared for it, which is the opposite of Iron Man 3 which has grown on me a little from an arbitrary 6 to a whopping 7. All of these Marvel movies are just "okay" with glimpses of being a solid movie, outside of the first Iron Man Xo. Cap was close, i have high hopes for the sequel. For action movies, the action in these movies kind of sucks? Small scale cutaway scenes, i can barely remember any decent action in the first cap. It's like a 200 million dollar budget with the equivalent of made for sci-fi channel action scenes outside of the Avengers New York battle.

Cheska

Marry me Cheska. We can combine our collections
tumblr_lmwoyfQtDN1qcy9i0.gif

Holy shiiiiiit what a collection. I have two questions. Are the Batwoman and Batgirl Statues nice quality? And would you mind showing us those Harley and others prints on your wall. They look awesome.

The Batgirl and Batwoman statue are nice, but no where near the quality of the past DC Cover Girls (Adam Hughes variation). If you can find any of those for a reasonable price, I'd choose those over the current statues.

I just went through your imgur photos. Damn! That is such an impressive collection.

Awesome, awesome collection. Thanks for sharing!

Cheska, I'm jelly.

Holy crap, Cheska your collection is amazing! So neatly organised as well. I see a lot of cool non-comics stuff too; I love those Persona figures, and the Nathan Drake ones look awesome. And Piplup!

Thank you so much guys, it means a lot :)

Oh my god, are people still complaining about the thickness of the paper? Yes, it's thinner than past Marvel hardcovers, but I think people are making a much bigger deal about it than it actually is.

Freeze, why are you always so overly pessimistic and critical of other people's pick ups and opinions? You seem to almost always have something negative to say whether it be in this thread of the Figure one. I think you need to read more Harley Quinn and brighten up your life.

Awesome, awesome collection. Thanks for sharing!

Holy shiiiiiit what a collection. I have two questions. Are the Batwoman and Batgirl Statues nice quality? And would you mind showing us those Harley and others prints on your wall. They look awesome.

Did someone say they are doing new printings of Gotham City Sirens?

Just wanted to agree with everyone else. That collection looks amazing! Maybe one day I'll catch up. :p

Messi

These Scottie Young sketches are blowing my mind. Are they just commissions or are they from something he has drawn? OZ maybe?

mind_the_gap_cover_by_skottieyoung-d51wapc.jpg

2916489-44541691637.jpeg

Edit: I just realized the pun I made. That was totally unintentional looool

Boogiepop

I really like the Ultimate Collections of Invincible, but the compendiums are a fantastic value. The comic is great though so it shouldn't be passed up either way. Kirkman has done a commendable job keeping Invincible interesting, whereas Walking Dead has struggled a bit.

Awesome, think I'll go ahead and place an order for them, then.

Also, I just thought to myself how I'm getting an awesomely huge amount of comics, and then my brain decided to snap back with a comparison to manga length. It really is weird to think how much quicker manga accumulates due to the difference in release schedule. I mean, One Piece is now longer than Amazing Spiderman (even if you roll in Superior)! Just weird.

sca2511

Long upcoming post!

IST package arrived!

Further pictures of Uncanny X-Force Omnibus, bonus kitty picture :p

And finally, I got all my currents trades, etc arranged! Further pictures in the link below.

Pictures of current comic set up and other fun stuff![/URL]

So jealous of the Catwoman and Zatanna. I love the Batwoman as well, got her a few months ago, still in her box. Have no idea where to display her.

Only cool thing added to my shelfs is wireless remote LEDs.

Whoa whoa, where did you get them? I have some lights/LEDs from IKEA, but it feels it would be pretty tedious to setup since my shelf is already built or/and I'm just too lazy to set it up.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Warren Ellis, via Marvel, said in his newsletter that Moon Knight sold out its 70,000 copy printing.

He also said his new 6-7 issue work-for-hire thing will be announced in the next week or two.

Warren Ellis, via Marvel, said in his newsletter that Moon Knight sold out its 70,000 copy printing.

He also said his new 6-7 issue work-for-hire thing will be announced in the next week or two.
That's excellent news! Hope the creative team sticks around.

Oh and six or seven issue work for hire? Must be a DC book....

zeeaykay

I saw the new Fatale Deluxe Hardcover in the store today. Given that Criminal and Velvet are two of my favorites, I'm assuming Fatale is a good investment?

I know some people complained about the meandering plot, but I'm imagining that would be easier to swallow in a collected format?

So jealous of the Catwoman and Zatanna. I love the Batwoman as well, got her a few months ago, still in her box. Have no idea where to display her.

Whoa whoa, where did you get them? I have some lights/LEDs from IKEA, but it feels it would be pretty tedious to setup since my shelf is already built or/and I'm just too lazy to set it up.

Sams Club, House Mates wireless led pucks. 6 in a pack with remote and all batteries for $16. You can get upto 24 pucks connected to the same remote. They attach with a very strong adhesive.

Owzers

I saw the new Fatale Deluxe Hardcover in the store today. Given that Criminal and Velvet are two of my favorites, I'm assuming Fatale is a good investment?

I know some people complained about the meandering plot, but I'm imagining that would be easier to swallow in a collected format?

Fatale is ending with issue #24, so you might as well wait for reviews to see if it all comes together. I'm a meander complainer, but the last few issues i read before dropping it, 15-20, were very good. The main problem is the lead character is never set up...at all. She's wrecking lives and mysterious and now towards the very end it's starting to work it's way back into just what is going on.

Tizoc

Some GREAT books this week, but I gotta ask:
WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME A NEW BEASTS OF BURDEN WAS COMING OUT?!

OK so quick rundown:

Batman 29
So uh...what was supposed to be so mindblowing about this issue again?

Beasts of Burden: Hunters and Gatherers
A good issue and it seems they're
setting up the villains. I loved the foreshadowing with the crows stealing the eyes and one of the dogs bringing up a rat problem. The latter I just assumed is them wanting a problem solved not something bigger than what the final pages showed

Monster & Madman 1
I'm a Steve Niles fan and overall liked this first issue, art was pretty good too.

Superior Foes #9
Boomerang is officially the King of Bullshit, this issue was freakin' awesome.

Transformers MTMTE #27
41lg65I.jpg

Best book of the week, I like how Prowl now has his own Defense Force, though I wonder if they're just trolling him...
Some great character moments and the typical James Robert humor, and maybe I've misread it, but BLESS PRIMUS, MEGATRON FINALLY FUCKING ADMITS
HE MADE A MISTAKE

Messi

So here are a few thoughts on some of the books I read in the past few days:

Batgirl 28/29 : I am usually a big fan of Gail Simones writing but I have to say that these two issues missed the mark. They felt really random and aimless. Ending with Batgirl wondering
how she is going to convince herself this actually happened. I for one wont have any problem forgetting it happened.
I know its odd to say that the story was a bit out there in a book where a girl jumps around the place in a batsuit with a girl dressed like an owl but I found it hard to connect with the story. Silver is an ok villain I suppose but leading to an eyerolling twist where
the kid they were trying to save is actually a demon
just came across like she didnt know where to go with the story and just threw everything at it. I did like the fact that the story allowed us to see Batgirl fight
a baby, be it a demon or otherwise.

How many more times is Strix going to let Batgirl punch her before she snaps? Seems like she is doing it every issue now.

I was excited to see where Gail would take the story outside of tie ins but this felt like filler between gothopia and whatever is coming next. I am sure Batgirl will get pulled into Eternal near the start and that might give the book more direction and purpose. The art was fine as usual right in that dc style.

Catwoman 28: Wut! What a nonsensical book and tie in. Two catwomen, or is it one with a split personality? doesnt really matter because this is another book where a "writer" just throws shit at the wall. then again if I opened my book and found a shit it might be a bigger suprise than anything in Catwoman at the moment. A man has hollow bones and Selina decides to help him out and rob some motherfuckers to get him money. selina doesnt know whats up but knows something isnt right, or does she? maybe...who cares? She takes control two pumas at one point (with mind control?) and does nothing with them...I think. I DONT KNOW MAN.

I hate how long Catwomans head is in this book now, she looks fucking ridiculous

Black Widow 4: Phil Noto deserves more props for his art on Black Widow. Its one of the best looking books on the shelf right now and it has quite an intriquing storyline. I find Black Widow to be quite likable even though when she talks to people she seems quite cold. The action scenes work quite well, the art gives a great sense of movement. I don't know anything about the villain but I am all for
crazy religious dudes and shadowy puppeteers.
Needs more cats.

Captain Marvel 1: Lovely art. Everyone should give this book a try. Carol is easy to relate to and I want to read more about her. I also really like the little girl, I cant recall her name now though :/ .

Duress

So I got my Uncanny X-Force Omnibus and Manhattan Projects Volume 1 TP.

They also gave me Mark Waid's Daredevil hardcover by accident >_>

I e-mailed them, to see what I should do with it. I feel kind of bad having it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So I got my Uncanny X-Force Omnibus and Manhattan Projects Volume 1 TP.

They also gave me Mark Waid's Daredevil hardcover by accident >_>

I e-mailed them, to see what I should do with it. I feel kind of bad having it.

Dude, they thought you were a man of distinguished taste who would appreciate Daredevil. Go read that shit.

Freeze, why are you always so overly pessimistic and critical of other people's pick ups and opinions? You seem to almost always have something negative to say whether it be in this thread of the Figure one. I think you need to read more Harley Quinn and brighten up your life.

Because I'm good at it. XD

But I'm only being critical of people complaining about something that's not going to change. I doubt Marvel is going to go back to more expensive paper if this is cheaper and they can get away with it, which they can. The only thing I'm brutally critical of are any figures that Griffon puts out.

anaron

Black Widow 4: Phil Noto deserves more props for his art on Black Widow. Its one of the best looking books on the shelf right now and it has quite an intriquing storyline. I find Black Widow to be quite likable even though when she talks to people she seems quite cold. The action scenes work quite well, the art gives a great sense of movement. I don't know anything about the villain but I am all for crazy religious dudes and shadowy puppeteers. Needs more cats.

Captain Marvel 1: Lovely art. Everyone should give this book a try. Carol is easy to relate to and I want to read more about her. I also really like the little girl, I cant recall her name now though :/ .

Kit is her name. :)

Also yeah, Noto's art is just brilliant.

I'm happy to see that DC are reprinting Gail Simone's Secret Six, I've been curious about that series for a while but it's typically either unavailable or prohibitively expensive.

Great series. I bought all of the paperbacks as they were released. Are the new ones straight-up reprints or condensed versions so they can get it all out in fewer books?

Eldren

Great series. I bought all of the paperbacks as they were released. Are the new ones straight-up reprints or condensed versions so they can get it all out in fewer books?

Condensed:

Secret Six Vol. 1: Villains United
Gail Simone, Dale Eaglesham, Brad Walker
On Sale Date: February 17, 2015
$19.99 USD / $23.99 CAD
328 pages Paperback / softback / Trade paperback (US)
Comics & Graphic Novels / Superheroes
9781401250751, 1401250750
Summary: Collecting the series that led into INFINITE CRISIS! Six of justice’s deadliest enemies band together to start a revolution. Together, they want to take a stand to stop the super-heroic community from tampering with their minds and to prove how deadly they can be! But not everyone agrees to this agenda. Six rogues are recruited by the enigmatic Mockingbird, charged with opposing the Society and given assignments to thwart their rivals and even help their enemies. Who is Mockingbird? Could it be one of the six? The status quo is rocked by the Society’s formation and the revelations along the way make certain that when the Secret Six are done, nothing in the DCU will ever be the same!
Collects VILLIANS UNITED #1-6, SECRET SIX #1-6, VILLIANS UNITED: INFINITE CRISIS SPECIAL #1

I'm really excited for this, although I dread to think when the second collection will be released. Seems like a good price for that many pages.

Batman Vol 5 -- still no sign of DC including #18-20 anywhere.

Batman: Eternal -- wow, so that's how DC's going to do it, collect the first 20 weekly issues in one massive volume come December.

I always assumed they'd collect Batman #18-20 in a trade with all the other Requiem issues of the other Bat books. But they didn't.

I truly struggle to believe DC will release the first Batman Eternal trade that quickly. That would be like three months after #20 is released?

I always assumed they'd collect Batman #18-20 in a trade with all the other Requiem issues of the other Bat books. But they didn't.

I also assumed this. It's a shame, because 19-20 is a cool little story.

I can't wait for the re-release of Secret Six. Everyone needs to buy that so we get the whole series. Will probably get Absolute Batman Inc and the Geoff Johns Green Lantern omnibus (luckily enough my GL trade collection starts at Secret Origin)

Rented Planet Hulk, X-Men:Deadly Genesis, and the entire Dan Slott run on Amazing Spider-Man from my library. Started reading them and i'm already in heaven. Marvel has been really killing it with good stories for some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom