• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wolverine has '3 Months to Die' (CBR)

Five issues over three months, ending with that #12 issue that Marvel will be hyping to the major news networks as a game-changing event. Interestingly enough, they interviewed not Cornell for the reveal but newly appointed editor Mike Marts.

Let me guess- Wolverine dies, for x amount of time, and is resurrected when his healing factor is restored because being 'dead' cures him of the alien virus he got and blah blah blah.

And shouldn't they be calling the new comic "Superior Wolverine" since
he got his armored suit from Spider-Man
? :p

Toa TAK

Banned
Let me guess- Wolverine dies, for x amount of time, and is resurrected when his healing factor is restored because being 'dead' cures him of the alien virus he got and blah blah blah.

And shouldn't they be calling the new comic "Superior Wolverine" since
he got his armored suit from Spider-Man
? :p

It would certainly be the SUPERIOR title change.

There is good evidence on Twitter that a Secret Six project is in the works. Rag Doll is in Batgirl. They are releasing previous TPB of Secret Six and Gail Simone is even playing into the hype on Twitter. Of course, she trolls a lot so who knows.

I said WOWEE WOW WOW WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. :O

Daredevil-1-50-Cover-bf830.jpg
More Daredevil #1.50 preview art (CBR)

Boogiepop

I'll definitely keep an eye on that then. So Uncanny X-force is the one that was running concurrently with Wolverine and the X-men? And it's good? Like I said it bugged me conceptually in that it sounded like something that clashed with the ideal/feels of WATXM, but I suppose I should hold it against the thing if it it's a good read. And it being collected in omnibus form makes it tempting...

Poking one more time for this. I'm starting to get tempted, now, just need a push. Is Uncanny X-force good, and does it complement Wolverine and the Xmen or detract from it? Or just kind of exist alongside it?

Owzers

Poking one more time for this. I'm starting to get tempted, now, just need a push. Is Uncanny X-force good, and does it complement Wolverine and the Xmen or detract from it? Or just kind of exist alongside it?

more like it exists before it, then alongside it, then WATXM continues. It's definitely a compliment, but Uncanny X-Force is better....i'd get both. Uncanny X-Force will go down as one of the best books marvel has put out in recent years.

frye

UXF launched out of Second Coming, so it's before Wolverine and the X-Men and had like 18 issues before Schism. It's pretty different from WatXM tonally (Wolverine's Murder Squad is obviously gonna be different than Wolverine's Wacky School). Aaron was clearly into UXF though, Evan and the mindwiped Angel are both from that book so that's there if you want it.

It's a good series, real Consequences of Violence shit, and even if you think the schoolmaster Wolverine is irreconcilable with X-Force leader Wolverine, that tension is raised in the comic and it does get sorted out by the end.

Boogiepop

more like it exists before it, then alongside it, then WATXM continues. It's definitely a compliment, but Uncanny X-Force is better....i'd get both. Uncanny X-Force will go down as one of the best books marvel has put out in recent years.

Dang. I'll make sure my finances check out and then I guess I'll go forward with it. Didn't know it was so highly regarded.

Also, while I'm thinking of things to ask about: how did Fear Itself:Deadpool and Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe (though that one's not collected just yet) turn out? I like Dr. McNinja pretty well and I thought it was pretty cool that a webcomic guy was getting a shot at the real deal, so I've been kind of curious how his work was.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Took a break from One Million (which is pretty righteous) to read through The Thanos Quest. I'm really digging it.

Boogiepop

Also, while I'm thinking of things to ask about: how did Fear Itself:Deadpool and Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe (though that one's not collected just yet) turn out? I like Dr. McNinja pretty well and I thought it was pretty cool that a webcomic guy was getting a shot at the real deal, so I've been kind of curious how his work was.

Still kind of curious about this, if only to see if it's worth tagging on that Deadpool. But yeah, since people have been hyping them up, highly considering grabbing both Uncanny X-Force and DC One Million omnibuses off of instocktrades.

Owzers

Still kind of curious about this, if only to see if it's worth tagging on that Deadpool. But yeah, since people have been hyping them up, highly considering grabbing both Uncanny X-Force and DC One Million omnibuses off of instocktrades.

do you read digital comics at all? Marvel Unlimited? If you subscribe today, it's a sxsw special for 99 cents for a month. You could read all of Uncanny X-Force, the deadpool stuff, most of WATXM, lots of stuff. marvel code is sxsw99. The ios app is great, android not so much but allegedly an update is coming to make it less suck. Can't help on fear itself deadpool or longshot.

I enjoyed Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe. It wasn't amazing or anything, but I laughed a few times. It was worth supporting because I'd like more Marvel minis that aren't Cullen Bunn's weird Deadpool tales.

My big delivery of TPBs came today, I've read the first volumes of Revival and Lazarus. Lazarus was pretty good, basically Elysium with less Halo and more character development. I liked it enough that I'll probably get the second trade.

I freakin' love Revival. This is what I want from a zombie book, although I suppose calling it a zombie book is a disservice. The small town setting is really well done IMO. I can't wait to tear into the next two volumes over the long weeked.

My wife still can't post yet. She has read all of Rachel Rising and loves it. She went to the LCS and got all the back issues and is all caught up.

Now she wants to know if Moores other work, Strangers and Paradise is any good.

tim1138

Props to Rrongfield for hooking me up with a digital code for the second Uncanny Avengers collection. I'm only on like issue nine, but holy shit this story is awesome so far, I gave up on this book way too soon.

Owzers

Props to Rrongfield for hooking me up with a digital code for the second Uncanny Avengers collection. I'm only on like issue nine, but holy shit this story is awesome so far, I gave up on this book way too soon.

first arc was one of those weird new Marvel book things, then it went into full UXF part 2 mode.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
http://comicsbeat.com/new-titles-from-dc-comics-fall-2014-and-spring-2015/

Some good shit here.

Things I thought were interesting:

b/w Batman Long Halloween hc (???)
Green Arrow Outsider's War trade in October
Deluxe Ronin hc (!!)
3rd Sale/Loeb Absolute Batman
Absolute Batman Inc (!!!!!)
2nd JSA Omnibus
Marshall Law trade
Quitely/Millar Authority trade
Kelly/Mahnke JLA (!!!!!!)
ENIGMA
Deluxe Scalped

Holy fuckballs, that's a lot of great hardcovers coming out. Also, Superman for All Seasons!

Shit, I was just holding out for a Deluxe edition of Batman Inc vol.2 cuz I already got the deluxe for Vol.1, but I'll double dip for the Absolute.

This is also a good time for me to mention I'm madly in love with Enigma, and I genuinely believe it to be one of the finest comic books I've ever read.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Shit, I was just holding out for a Deluxe edition of Batman Inc vol.2 cuz I already got the deluxe for Vol.1, but I'll double dip for the Absolute.

This is also a good time for me to mention I'm madly in love with Enigma, and I genuinely believe it to be one of the finest comic books I've ever read.

Mind giving a quick synopsis of Enigma?

tim1138

http://comicsbeat.com/new-titles-from-dc-comics-fall-2014-and-spring-2015/

Some good shit here.

Things I thought were interesting:

b/w Batman Long Halloween hc (???)
Green Arrow Outsider's War trade in October
Deluxe Ronin hc (!!)
3rd Sale/Loeb Absolute Batman
Absolute Batman Inc (!!!!!)
2nd JSA Omnibus
Marshall Law trade
Quitely/Millar Authority trade
Kelly/Mahnke JLA (!!!!!!)
ENIGMA
Deluxe Scalped

Oh man, Absolute Batman Inc, JSA omni vol 2, Geoff Johns GL omni vol 1, and the highlight for me, a deluxe HC of Punk Rock Jesus with 100 additional pages. Hell yes.

Owzers

are we still getting a deluxe.....???

I will probably get that Absolute though. Harley Quinn vol 1 in NOVEMBER, gonna be a long year of me getting tired of waiting and then not caring when it comes out.

Johns Green Lantern Omnibus vol 1, how did that not get listed, it's newwws.

frye

It's.... so many things, man. It's "about" a guy's favourite superhero as a kid coming into existence, right? So on one hand it's Milligan's big superhero opus, what Watchmen is to Moore or Flex Mentallo is to Morrison, but it's also way more than that. It's a story about love and self-discovery and queerness and identity and trying to desperately communicate something that isn't so easily gotten across. It's the monotony of everyday life when you aren't being true to yourself, and the clarity of realization when you are, which sounds cheesy and it is but it's also so so perfect.

My wife still can't post yet. She has read all of Rachel Rising and loves it. She went to the LCS and got all the back issues and is all caught up.

Now she wants to know if Moores other work, Strangers and Paradise is any good.

hell yes, I'm forever hyping that

if I had a top 3 ever it'd be like

Sandman
Strangers in Paradise
Transmetropolitan
Claremont X-men
Alias
Peter David Supergirl(and Hulk and Young Justice)
X-statix
Morrison Batman( and Animal Man and Morrison everything)
Hellblazer
Ultimate Spidey
Bone
She-Hulk
Hellboy
Swamp Thing
a whole lot of Daredevil
oh shit I forgot Planetary

I can't really do 3 haha
but the first three are probably sorta right

The basic gist is a fictional superhero called the Enigma and some of his various villains come to life in the real world, and this guy who used to read his books, Michael Smith, finds himself drawn into this big mystery of how this came to be. It becomes a LOT more than that, but I don't want to spoil the discovery.

Its hard for me to talk about Enigma without going over all its little details or its wonderfully complex-yet-organic narrative structure that handles themes of identity and sexuality in an intelligent and thought-provoking way, or how perfectly Fegredo's art subtly shifts and changes from issue to issue to match Milligan's prose and ideas, or how even the smallest pieces of media we consume can have huge, profound effects on our lives in ways you hadn't figured, or its perfect twisty ending where all the themes crystallize. And besides all that shit, its just a very engaging read with great characters, a highly compelling plot, fantastic artwork that captures all the tiny mannerisms and body language, and Milligan's sly dark humor that means it never veers into cold navel-gazing( “It was an ordinary farm in Arizona. The kind of place where you’d have sexual relations with your parents and end up shooting someone.”)

If you ever listened to any of my blind recommendations, this would be the one, I'd hope. It's REALLY fuckin' good.

Owzers

why would i want to read a book based on Last Action Hero? I'll just watch the movie again.

get:

Absolute Batman Inc unless a deluxe version is in the cards....
Enigma if i'm feeling adventurous
The Wake

if i like the first trades, more of Lemire Green Arrow, Red Lanterns, and that stuff.
Batman Eternal vol 1 that collects 1-20 if it's any good
Harley Quinn vol 1...

I have the regular Green Lantern trades through Brightest day, and Sinestro/Blackest Night/Rebirth Absolutes so probably skipping the Omnibus

I like knowing a heads up on these things, especially OHC and Absolutes, but it's comic soul crushing that so many of these things are december 2014 through march 2015. That's a yearrrrrrrrrrrr.

Eldren

I'm happy to see that DC are reprinting Gail Simone's Secret Six, I've been curious about that series for a while but it's typically either unavailable or prohibitively expensive. The Wake HC shall definitely be mine, that'll make a nice Christmas gift. I've been intentionally avoiding the first trade because I was hoping Vertigo would put out a nice hardcover collecting all 10 issues. I'd never heard of Enigma before but frye and ViewtifulJC have definitely piqued my interest. Overall there's some good stuff here. Well done, DC.

Man, super major props to Superman/Wonder Woman #6. That was the best issue yet IMO.

I like the book a lot. I thought it actually started to come into its own at issue #3. Initially I was worried it would be a major out-of-continuity side-story fest like the Batman/Superman runs, but it definitely deals with in-continuity stuff well and is a good companion to Action and Superman.

tim1138

first arc was one of those weird new Marvel book things, then it went into full UXF part 2 mode.

Yeah that Red Skull thing was a mess, but I loved the Apocalypse twins stuff. I'll probably get the rest of the back issues this weekend and get caught up and put this back on my pull list.

Spike Spiegel said:
Ghost Rider may not come out next week... right now they're the only ones reporting it, but Bleeding Cool says that Marvel has asked retailers to hold their shipped copies because of "a printing/distribution error."

So, maybe no Ghost Rider until the 26th. :(

Dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom