• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

PsychBat!

Banned
"NOT FINAL ART" as in I'm not through being awesome with my art yet. o_O

guardians_3000__8_by_sandoval_art-d8jj7pv.jpg

YES!

Bii

This is exactly what I'm anticipating will happen... If Bii doesn't drink it's just going to be me drinking by myself with everyone else drinking soda (assuming we make this SDCC meetup actually happen). Not ideal. Haha

I'm all about that H2O. My doctor, basically, told me that I was fat and I needed to exercise more. :/

Speaking of cons, I'm looking at the artist alley list of guests at Big Wow and I'm thinking I have to up my $400 budget. #notpullingaKipp

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is that Joe Mad or is that the guy I thought was Joe Mad last time? The Guardians 3000 guy?

oh and Avengers World is ALSO a Hickman book? Good lord, does he sleep?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
GERARDO SANDOVAL!

And no, it's not a Hickman book.

Well #1 and #2 are Hickman at least. Jonathan Hickman and Nick Spencer it says. Anyway I really liked issue #1, it's good to see Avengers not involved in cosmic crazyness for once and back on earth dealing with The Hand and Gorgon and shit. Great art too, but that seems like a given these days on any Avengers book it seems

Edit:

"nice hoodie tin man"
"Doom does not wear hoodies, Doom wears cowls"

...fuck now I can't unsee Doom in a hoodie >_<

frye

What should be my first Absolute Edition?

Final Crisis which I have read.

Or Alex Ross Justice which I have not read.

~opinions ~

First of all: unless you just have a fetish for big hardcovers (in which case, get them all!) Absolutes are best as art showcases. So with that in mind I personally would want a singular artist whose art also benefits from the size increase, hence:

Top 10, Ronin, Dark Knight, All Star Superman, or New Frontier

~opinions~

Rhaknar

"I will crush all laptops"

I'm gonna miss Doombot :(

~opinions ~

First of all: unless you just have a fetish for big hardcovers (in which case, get them all!) Absolutes are best as art showcases. So with that in mind I personally would want a singular artist whose art also benefits from the size increase, hence:

Top 10, Ronin, Dark Knight, All Star Superman, or New Frontier

~opinions~

So Alex Ross Justice.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I remember when Kipp came here fresh faced and full of bright ideas. He used to read Hellboy. We ruin people, don't we? :(

I'm all about that H2O. My doctor, basically, told me that I was fat and I needed to exercise more. :/

Speaking of cons, I'm looking at the artist alley list of guests at Big Wow and I'm thinking I have to up my $400 budget. #notpullingaKipp

Uh oh. I'm totally going to be the only one drinking.
Regardless, we really do need to do this SDCC meet-up.

But I'm glad you'll be spending a lot of money. Someone's got to make up for my efforts to ruin comics.

I wonder if I'll actually spend any money at SDCC... We'll see.

What should be my first Absolute Edition?

Final Crisis which I have read.

Or Alex Ross Justice which I have not read.

Easy. Absolute All Star Batman & Robin.
I still legitimately want to buy that once it inevitably hits clearance prices.

frye

So Alex Ross Justice.

If FC and Justice are your only two options and you really, really like Alex Ross, then yeah. All the extras in Absolute FC are in the new paperback printing too, so that's not really the reason to get it.

e: wait a minute, Ross seems to share art duties with Doug Braithwaite in Justice.

If FC and Justice are your only two options and you really, really like Alex Ross, then yeah. All the extras in Absolute FC are in the new paperback printing too, so that's not really the reason to get it.

Oh I adore Alex Ross. I feel like this would be the best one to pull out to showcase to people. Something to just look at.

frye

Oh I adore Alex Ross. I feel like this would be the best one to pull out to showcase to people. Something to just look at.

yeah if he's your dude then you'll probably be pretty happy with Justice.

Might wanna look into the breakdown of him/Braithwaite on that comic tho

besada

Banned
Guys, my life has been taken over by books.
Novels ;_;
I only read like three comics yesterday and haven't been able to pull myself away to read anymore.

I go back and forth. I'll read nothing but novels for six months or so, then binge on six months worth of comics. That's what I'm doing now. I'm in the middle of reading a ponderous spy novel and suddenly thought, "It's time to read a shitload of comics now!" Once I'm caught up, I'll go back to reading for another six months or so.

I do crazy re-reads, too. Last year, during one of my comic periods, I re-read all 300 issues of Hellblazer, plus most of the mini-series. Right now I'm re-reading the entire Powers run, because the show pissed me off so much.

Rhaknar

Really liking Joe mad's replacement on Inhuman, Ryan Stegman. On a good streak of great new (well new for me) artists lately, after the last time I was reading heavily some weeks ago I was hit with the double whammy of those awful Ms. Marvel and She Hulk issues (art wise that is)

Also catching up fast on MU stuff, trying to catch up on all the Avengers books and I can finally restart all new xmen too now that I've caught up GotG up to the trial of Jean Grey.

Oh and I read the first issue of Night of the Living Deadpool, it didn't do much for me :/

It had a cool b&w with just deadpool being colored vibe but that's about it. But most people said it's good so I'm hoping it gets better in the next issues.

Rhaknar

All New Doop #5 - yup this book is still a bunch of incoherent horseshit. Why am I even reading this

Tizoc

Transformers #39 was good, and I'm glad we'll get to seeing more Cybertronians, but man Starscream is such a dick.

EDIT: Stacey Lee's art in Silk #2 is amazing she needs to work on more comics.

tim1138

Guys, my life has been taken over by books.
Novels ;_;
I only read like three comics yesterday and haven't been able to pull myself away to read anymore.

I did get a a chance to catch up on shows though, and I absolutely loved iZombie. Not what I expected, but they made it work in a way that brought a huge smile to my face.

The Flash is freakin' amazing! Like, it's baffling that this show is on the CW. And what's even crazier is how it's been able to maintain it's momentum, week after week.

Whatcha reading Cheska?
I read about 40 or so novels a year and am always looking for good recommendations.

Zombine

Banned
My Catwoman page arrived. It's so beeeeeautyful. Omg.

That was pretty damn quick for your location. When I opened up my Walking Dead pages I sorta freaked, because when I pulled apart the two pieces of wood, it was taped to the top and I didn't see anything.

In book land, I'm just readings science publications like usual. I'm also moving slowly through N0S4A2 which is amazing. My
Brother also bought me Chariot of The Gods as a joke, so I'm going to read through that mess as well.

I just read the latest issue of Batgirl #40.

My thoughts? Eh. The ending felt cheap and cliche.
I was secretly gunning for the real Batgirl to be the one in the computer. I feel that would have been better and would have explained why Babs had been acting so out of character. Also the cops going, 'Hey guys! Don't crush each other to death!' And then everyone immediately stops trying to escape from the orbital death cannon aimed at the square.

Mindwipe

End of an era?
avn-newavn-cov-col-127980.jpg

This is a weird piece.

Are the guys in the background supposed to be the originalish Avengers?

If so why is Spiderman there? Or, more importantly Ultimate Nick Fury?

I actually think Sentry's appearance is a nice nod.

Also, the COIE Absolute Edition is the best Absolute Edition.

SoilBreak

Banned
This is a weird piece.

That's Luke Cage

Sandfox

This is a weird piece.

Its showing the original teams for both the Avengers and New Avengers

This is a weird piece.

What is up with Reed?

Anyone know a good place to start selling your single issue comics ?

Are we talking rare stuff or just books you read and don't want anymore? If it's the latter, stop by comic shops and see if you can sell it all in bulk on the cheap. I don't think there's much of a market outside of certain issues, though.

Zombine

Banned
I'm going to start reading Stray Bullets. Can't wait any longer.

Hey, guys, Invincible #118's 25 cent price tag too much for you? It's gonna be free Comixology when it comes out on Wednesday.

I think that Image/Skybound are the first publishers to sell their books at a discounted rate due to no printing fees for digital. I need confirmation.

Zombine

Banned
Is Invincible digital only now?

Nope. Image seems to be selling their books at a discount on Comixology. You can't get much lower than 25c. I think that the 25c for print is soley just for the cost of the paper. It's very much a book that Skybound is taking a hit on to pick up new readers. It's basically the books 100th first issue for new readers.

Edit: also, CMX has a minimum that you can spend on the site to avoid fees on their part that cost more than the sale. You can't just buy one book that costs $1 on the site.

kmfdmpig

What about Absolute Kingdom Come? That's a top tier book with Ross.

Also, have you read the War on Crime, Power of Hope, Peace on Earth, etc... books he did. They're fairly short, but I liked them a lot.

Isnt the right group the Illuminati?
No I mean he looks awkward as hell. Is he a stretchy zombie?

What about Absolute Kingdom Come? That's a top tier book with Ross.

Also, have you read the War on Crime, Power of Hope, Peace on Earth, etc... books he did. They're fairly short, but I liked them a lot.
Those one shots were collected in an absolute edition too. Called worlds greatest heroes

Top Bottom