• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
lol, that Powerlevel talk in the new Avengers trailer thread.

Speaking of adaptations, I saw Kingsmen last night and enjoyed it, but with how... excessive some of the scenes felt, I can only imagine what the comic is like.
I had the book today in the mail and flippes through it because I wanted to see some of the cool scenes of the movie and it seems like most of them werent even in the comic...

scoot3r

Hey comics gaf! After a long time my hiatus from modern comics I'm back in full force thanks to Spider Gwen and marvels app on my phone! In the past two days I've bought spider Gwen 1 and 2, Howard the duck 1, Hawkeye 1, and Princess Leia 1 and 2. Digging them all so far especially Gwen and Hawkeye. Sorry wallet!

"Quick, charge him before he realizes it's all shit!"

It's actually run by Irish gangsters.

"He's onto us lads! WRAAAAA, SCATTER!"

I agree and I was talkin about sales, yeah. But I bought trades, and there's no comparison for that yet.

It'll be interesting to see if we get any sales data for the A-Force Presents collections they announced the other day. It's a really cool idea IMO.

lol, that Powerlevel talk in the new Avengers trailer thread.

Let me guess, are they whining about why Hawkeye and Black Widow are on the team? Because god forbid we have some power variance on a superteam.

If OT GAF were writing the Avengers, it'd be the Beyonder, Sentry, Gladiator, the Living Tribunal, Doctor Strange, Hyperion, Thanos and Deadpool. Which is great if you're a citizen of the Marvel Universe, but we're in the universe that wants entertaining stories, and a superteam that looks like a PL 20 Mutants and Masterminds campaign is not that.

Hey comics gaf! After a long time my hiatus from modern comics I'm back in full force thanks to Spider Gwen and marvels app on my phone! In the past two days I've bought spider Gwen 1 and 2, Howard the duck 1, Hawkeye 1, and Princess Leia 1 and 2. Digging them all so far especially Gwen and Hawkeye. Sorry wallet!

Haven't read Leia (I'm not into Star Wars), but everything else you picked up is good. Check out Silk and Ant-Man too, they're also new ongoings that are strong. And if you want another comedy book, Squirrel Girl is great.

Basically, try all of the new Marvel stuff that launched this year.

scoot3r

Haven't read Leia (I'm not into Star Wars), but everything else you picked up is good. Check out Silk and Ant-Man too, they're also new ongoings that are strong. And if you want another comedy book, Squirrel Girl is great.

Basically, try all of the new Marvel stuff that launched this year.

Yeah silk looks cool and I'm an old school spidey fan so I'll definety check it out! Thanks !

No, They are talking about Thor and Captain America. I just looked over, I am on a media blockout now.

I have to watch everything for work. I've seen so much stuff for movies I have no interest in. If I have to sit through anymore stuff for Get Hard, The Gunman or Home I might burst into tears.

I loved that new TV spot though. As cool as the "I've got no strings...." stuff is I'm glad it's not a No Fun Allowed movie.

Cade

Zvu2oc8.png

Of course Millar quotes himself on his own god damn twitter. of fucking course he does

Imagine how glorious it would be if Morrison got a good movie adaptation of something he did

It's never gonna happen but that would be the greatest thing ever

If OT GAF were writing the Avengers, it'd be the Beyonder, Sentry, Gladiator, the Living Tribunal, Doctor Strange, Hyperion, Thanos and Deadpool. Which is great if you're a citizen of the Marvel Universe, but we're in the universe that wants entertaining stories, and a superteam that looks like a PL 20 Mutants and Masterminds campaign is not that.

Pretty sure most of OT Gaf knows only two names in that last.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Looking forward to the Chrononauts film and avoiding the shit out of another Millar comic.

You should look into marvel unlimited. Think of it like netflix for marvel. It's only $10 a month. It runs 6 months behind but you'll have access to tens of thousands of comics

tim1138

Looking forward to the Chrononauts film and avoiding the shit out of another Millar comic.

The first issue was actually pretty good, fun sci-fi with no gross rape scenes our anything. I'm keeping the faith that Murphy wouldn't sign on to draw a book full of the typical gross Millar tropes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Avengers World #2 - im digging this, feels different that the other two hickman books, more grounded i guess with the AIM island story. Focusing on Smasher is cool too, she hasnt had much to do in the main two books. My only complaint...stop making people say "everything dies", its getting a bit on the nose Hickman :p

Also reading on the tablet is awesome, full page view, basically like a actual comic. Fun times

I was wondering what that was about, I'll have to check it out! Thanks.

MU is ridiculously good value if you dont mind being 6 months behind

fauxtrot

Banned
Starlight renewed my faith in Millar's ability to write good comics... I was nagged into picking it up, but I'm so glad I did. Can he do it again with Chrononauts? Only time will tell...

I will say, I think we'll be lucky to get another great series out of him in the next few years. Maybe some day though!

Superior and Starlight are wonderful. Nemesis was fantastic as well.

Some parts of Nemesis ruined it for me. It was as Millar as a lazy Millar book gets.

For me:
Ultimates > Red Son > American Jesus/Chosen > Old Man Logan and Athority > Superior >Wolverine/Enemy of the State, Civil War and his 616 FF>>Ultimate X-Men>>>Nemesis >>Kickass> Ultimate Comics Avengers (god that was a let down)

If its not listed, its probably because I havent read it yet. The guy can be really really good, but I think he wasn't paying as much attention to his own work while trying to build up his brand for a few years. The reception Kickass 2/3/Nemesis got is way different from the reception for Starlight and Jupiters Legacy got

I'm actually a mod over at Millarworld. We just relaunched and everything! Doesn't mean I like everything he does, but when he's on point, he's great.

A'yo tell him to get at me. I want mad hollywood money

arkon

Nearing the end of the final Hitman trade collection. I've actually finished out the main series and there's just the JLA/Hitman issues left. This is it. It's over. No more Hitman left to read. Feels bad, man. The ending was painful even though you knew it was coming. ;_;

I think it beats out Preacher, although I might have to do a re-read of that series just to confirm it's not just down to the shiny new smell of Hitman.

Top Bottom