• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Zombine

Banned
I only write what I know, and that's 20-something white male hackers as presented in 90s Hollywood movies posing as young asian girls as portrayed in early 00s anime.

I wonder if Arkham Knight is going to do anything with that
Hush
story that went absolutely nowhere in City?

That is a damn good questions, same with Azrael. I would imagine both have to make some kind of appearance, even if its small like their ones in City.

I only write what I know, and that's 20-something white male hackers as presented in 90s Hollywood movies posing as young asian girls as portrayed in early 00s anime.
Haha
you joke but I found out one of my comics friends sincerely believes white people should only write about their experiences. apparently, other cultures and subcultures are beyond the empathic abilities of white writers.

This person has a webcomic with a decently sized following. The comic is not about being a white girl in Texas.

Edit: whoops fixed some odd typos. Don't post from your phones people

Haha
you joke but I found out one of my comics friends sincerely believes white people should only write about their experiences. apparently, other cultures and subcultures are being the empathic abilities of site writers.

This person has a webcomic with a decently sized following. The comic is not about being a white girl in Texas.
Uh oh. Someone should let Rucka know he's really not a woman.

PsychBat!

Banned
I can't be the only one who thinks that those models look low budget as fuck. Not to mention that Tanya and Tremor are the most bland looking fuckers I've seen.

I don't know, Zombine. Each trailer I've seen of MKX have steadily hyped me up, including new the characters I thought I wouldn't give a shit about playing. Now with the Predator on board, I'm sold.

I don't know, Zombine. Each trailer I've seen of MKX have steadily hyped me up, including new the characters I thought I wouldn't give a shit about playing. Now with the Predator on board, I'm sold.
I know it makes financial sense to wait but I pre ordered MKX. And if I like it I'll probably get the extra characters. Their marketing push so far has been winning me over. Im part of the problem!

Call me crazy, and I know DC would never have gone for this but I think the current story arc in Catwoman should have been done in black and white. Garry browns art just pops in black and white and when it is coloured is loses some of its grittiness. See the page I got and how it looks in the book.

While I am not saying it looks bad in colour, I just prefer the page in black and white. Visually this Catwoman arc has been really interesting and a complete tonal shift from the previous arcs.
That looks really great, Messi. I'm sure you're thrilled to own it!

And on MKX since you guys are talking about it, I feel like I'm the only person who isn't getting it. Something about NRS games just feel off to me, they all feel super stiff. I love fighters and I've played everything from Melty Blood to games like Gundam Extreme VS, but I just can't deal with those games. I had a hard time even getting into Injustice when that came out. Glad they're supporting PS3 controllers/sticks on the PS4 version of MKX though, they deserve props for that.

ElNarez

Banned
Haha
you joke but I found out one of my comics friends sincerely believes white people should only write about their experiences. apparently, other cultures and subcultures are beyond the empathic abilities of white writers.

On the one hand I get what she's saying, but on the other you nailed it: if you're gonna talk about lived experiences that aren't yours, you need empathy, and possibly getting people who know what it's like to tell you if you're full of shit, otherwise you're just bound to fuck up in incredibly stupid and insentive ways.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Haha

I feel bad for her, because that's a completely ass-backwards and sad way of writing. So do all of her comics solely contain white characters?

ElNarez

Banned
A Comics Creator Harassed Me On Twitter and I Don’t Want to Say His Name
A comics creator harassed me for months on Twitter and I don’t want to say his name.

It wasn’t even that bad, is what I’ve always told myself; more an endless stream of Well Actually and gaslighting than threats of harm. It wasn’t even that bad, is what I tell myself, wishing I hadn’t let it/him touch me.

This is how it was: I, a pseudonymous, female nobody, disagreed with his storied, much more experienced self, and I kept disagreeing long enough to raise his ire. I annoyed him, ignored him, publicly dismissed him and his opinion, and that was enough for him to search me out, day after day, for months. He was there, uninvited, for every joke, every grumpy morning, every late night goodbye. He was there, questioning me, my every observation, every opinion, every idea. “Well actually” “have you considered” “the so-called study” “ignores men” “and you call yourself a feminist?” “Do you even READ comics?”

I don’t even remember what started it.

can I just say: fuck this industry for harboring creeps and sexist assholes?

fuck this industry for harboring creeps and sexist assholes

Ein Bear

Bit late, but I just read Cap & the Mighty Avengers #6, and that last page made me happier than anything in comic books ever has.

On the one hand I get what she's saying, but on the other you nailed it: if you're gonna talk about lived experiences that aren't yours, you need empathy, and possibly getting people who know what it's like to tell you if you're full of shit, otherwise you're just bound to fuck up in incredibly stupid and insentive ways.
When writing about characters from different backgrounds than yours, you simply need to do the same thing when you're trying to write any character well. Empathy, some imagination and research (epecially about POC stereotypes in fiction). Maybe you get something wrong but I think never trying is a failure within itself. Can you imagine how long it would have taken us to get black superheroes if only black authors created them? Oh boy

I feel bad for her, because that's a completely ass-backwards and sad way of writing. So do all of her comics solely contain white characters?
No, actually! Her comic is set in fictional magical western Europe small town. She's had a couple black background characters. I haven't read all of it, so its possible they have a bigger presence in the comic than I am saying. When this was brought up to her, she said its different because its a make believe world. You make of that what you will. I certainly have my opinion.

We need to make a list of creep creators.

Brian Wood
Yale Stewart
Chris Sims (I think that would depend on how much value you place on his apology)
Erik Larsen

Finally read that comic Ron Wimberly did about that one character's skin tone in Wolverine and the X-Men and damn, he did a killer job on that. Very well done. I've got a lot of respect for him for not changing the skin color. Good on him.

Boogiepop

So, I got around to reading Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe last night. And it was really fun, glad I picked it up a while back. The Dr McNinja guy can definitely write. It's not perfect (in particular his Mr Fantastic and Iron Man felt a bit off/not quite right, though they weren't very important in the story), but it's really fun and legitimately funny a good bit of the time. And he really nailed the whole "luck powers" thing, which is cool since that can be a kind of weird thing to pull off. Not 100% sure about the recurring music thing, though. Kind of eh for me. Oh, and even if it was just a tiny little part of the "lets throw out a ton of random mashup things and have fun with it" stuff, there's something especially amazing to me about
Kraven Phoenix

Definitely think I'll keep the Fear Itself: Deadpool trade in mind for the future now, since that's the other one I know he worked on for Marvel...

ElNarez

Banned

Brian Wood
Yale Stewart
Chris Sims (I think that would depend on how much value you place on his apology)
Erik Larsen

Scott Lobdell
John Byrne
I kinda sorta wanna put Claremont up there but he's just writing about his fetishes? I dunno

Finally read that comic Ron Wimberly did about that one character's skin tone in Wolverine and the X-Men and damn, he did a killer job on that. Very well done. I've got a lot of respect for him for not changing the skin color. Good on him.

Yeah I thought that was pretty interesting too.

NexusCell

Scott Lobdell
John Byrne
I kinda sorta wanna put Claremont up there but he's just writing about his fetishes? I dunno

Ehhh, while Claremont certainly has some...unique...topics he covers in his comics, I'm pretty sure he never harassed anyone liked the others you listed did.

Also, what did Brian Wood, Yale Stewart, and John Byrne do to earn them creeper status?

Ehhh, while Claremont certainly has some...unique...topics he covers in his comics, I'm pretty sure he never harassed anyone liked the others you listed did.

Also, what did Brian Wood, Yale Stewart, and John Byrne do to earn them creeper status?
Wood tried to use his position for sex at a con and when turned down threatened the female creator with blacklisting her.

I think Yale Stewart sent out dick pics to girls or something

Brian Wood is a dick

Yale Stewart has sent out unsolicited dick picks

I dont know about John Byrne, but the guy does not seem to have any friends in the industry.

John Arcudi
Steve Ditko
Iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

Owzers

Builders, Alephs, Sidera Mhariasihaishs, and Mapmakers all look the same to me.

also, they say Mapmakers drain the old Earth of its resources etc, but how do they do this and what do they do with the resources and where do they hang out while their minions find the next earth to chew after incursion?

mreddie

Is the Deathlok series worth checking out? I know it's by the same writer doing Punisher and Widow right now but is it worth checking out?

When writing about characters from different backgrounds than yours, you simply need to do the same thing when you're trying to write any character well. Empathy, some imagination and research (epecially about POC stereotypes in fiction). Maybe you get something wrong but I think never trying is a failure within itself. Can you imagine how long it would have taken us to get black superheroes if only black authors created them? Oh boy

No, actually! Her comic is set in fictional magical western Europe small town. She's had a couple black background characters. I haven't read all of it, so its possible they have a bigger presence in the comic than I am saying. When this was brought up to her, she said its different because its a make believe world. You make of that what you will. I certainly have my opinion.

Brian Wood
Yale Stewart
Erik Larsen

Lol Chris is not a creep. He said something dumb ten years ago to someone he considered a jerk. I can assure you he is not a creep to women.

I guess it would depend on how much value you put on the Internet over someone who's actually spent collectively months of time with him in person and seen him interact with people of all genders.

Up to you I guess. But a good rule of thumb is if Rich Johnston is pushing for something, it's probably wrong.

Zombine

Banned
It's so sad that Ditko is insane, if the man was nicer we could have gotten more Spider-Man from him. :(

One of them is the Creep. The other is The Creeper.

What if we're all creeps and we don't even know it? What if Ben standing up for a creep makes him a creep? What if I'm a creep for calling Ben out for defending a creep who may or may not be a creep?

I find the less we know about the artists and creators the better off we are. Sure it's swell to have our actors, artists, musicians, writers, athletes be great people and produce great entertainment but I don't want to do full background checks on everyone before I decide if I like their work. Sure there are extreme cases but with Id rather not turn over every rock (especially with everyone's ever growing Internet footprint) and then devise some system of who I do and don't support. They're not my friends, they're not people I interact with on a daily basis and we really don't know them. If others want to do that fine but I'm sure everyone has some big regrets here or there.

Lol Chris is not a creep. He said something dumb ten years ago to someone he considered a jerk. I can assure you he is not a creep to women.

I guess it would depend on how much value you put on the Internet over someone who's actually spent collectively months of time with him in person and seen him interact with people of all genders.

Up to you I guess. But a good rule of thumb is if Rich Johnston is pushing for something, it's probably wrong.

haha true at the bolded

Alright, I believe you when you say he is not a creep. Harassment is not a one time thing though. By his own admission, he crossed a line. I don't think I've seen anything about how Val D’Orazio was a jerk to him, so maybe we've given a limited account of it.

If the ComicsAlliance editors can make a case for him as a different guy, then I suppose we can accept it while acknowledging it happened although not all will be OK with that. Ten years is certainly long enough to change.

If you were to go back not even ten years ago in my college days, you would see some comics with mysogynist undertones. Not until I had dissassociated myself from some people and befriended some others who were active feminists did I see those undertones in my work and then worked to never repeat them.

Which kind of raises a question, is there a statue of limitations on stupid shit a creator has said or done in the past? And how do we weigh current actions/attitudes of the creators vs previous behavior? If Orson Scott Card decided to change his attitudes, would the majority of us who decided to not support his work be open to his future work? Honestly, I don't know if I would.

tumblr_mqtk2b80wA1rm7gdlo1_400.gif

ugh wtf

Brian Wood
Yale Stewart
Erik Larsen

is Erik Larsen really a creep though?

besada

Banned
Read issues #1 to #11 of Black Science finally. Really good stuff and I'm looking forward to the next arc.
Also read the first Deadly Class TPB. Interesting, but I'll want to read more before I get too excited.

I started Harley Quinn. I'm only three issues in, so maybe I'm missing the brilliance so far.

I have Trees and Low lined up, along with Spider-Gwen.

Vibranium

Banned
One of them is the Creep. The other is The Creeper.

What if we're all creeps and we don't even know it? What if Ben standing up for a creep makes him a creep? What if I'm a creep for calling Ben out for defending a creep who may or may not be a creep?

What if I am a creep for believing someone is a creep, who is being defended by a creep? :p

Lol just kidding Ben.

FeD.nL

So I started re-reading Bendis' New Avengers Omnibus and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Just a really enjoyable run in my opinion.

Has Marvel made any comments if the second half of the run will be released in Omnibus form anytime soon?

Read issues #1 to #11 of Black Science finally. Really good stuff and I'm looking forward to the next arc.
Also read the first Deadly Class TPB. Interesting, but I'll want to read more before I get too excited.

I started Harley Quinn. I'm only three issues in, so maybe I'm missing the brilliance so far.

That's about where I stopped with harley. I like the character but I guess I only enjoy her when she's written by Paul Dini. Other writers either take her too grim or into a female deadpool

Zombine

Banned

Trees is one of those books where issue #1 didn't leave a single hook in me, so I just moved on. Low on the other hand establishes its voice from the first issue, and the 5 or so after it have done a great job at moving readers from point A to point B without it feeling tedious. You can tell that Remender mapped out this world very meticulously (unlike Saga), and each issue gives you a bit more information on why it's such a fucked up cesspool of water people.

Messi

If you don't like Harley by issue 3 then it's likely not for you. Some people really don't like the book and that is ok. It can't really be for everyone. You have to enjoy that kind of slapstick comedy.

I am re-reading Bandette as I bought the physical hardcover. Just a beautiful, hilarious book. It's exactly the kind of thing I like.

is Erik Larsen really a creep though?
Feel free to switch out creep for mysognist or jerk.

Also, where is that gif from?

I've never got the impression Harley Quinn was brilliant. Just fun and liked by many.

Black Science is great. I want an OHC of it. No clue if its coming but I hope so.

Top Bottom