• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

So Multiversity continues to look like a real piece of shit and will probably end in the same nonsensical way it began. Surprise. And apparently Grant Morrison is telling us to stop reading comics and go fly a miniature plane or something.

Owzers

So Multiversity continues to look like a real piece of shit and will probably end in the same nonsensical way it began. Surprise. And apparently Grant Morrison is telling us to stop reading comics and go fly a miniature plane or something.

which plane are you going to get? I'm not sure yet...

Messi

Wow, Messi and I couldn't be further apart on this. Most romance stuff in movies makes me wretch, but I think that's just my immaturity. Any kissing or similar in a film has me reaching for the sick bag most of the time. It's pure cringe.

I've only seen 8 of the 50 romantic comedies in this list for instance.

And before anyone says "you'll sit through the worst of violence but not any showing of skin" I can't watch most horror stuff either. I like the ridiculous ones with goofy villains like Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th (I got into both of those after reading Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash 1 and 2), or comedies like Army of Darkness or Shaun of the Dead, but most of the time, NOPE NOPE NOPE.

I absolutely love them. Out of those films I have seen 32 of them. A large amount of them multiple times. I just love putting one on after work and chilling out.

Cheebo

Banned
Is there any lady characters in the books that have lightsabers? Like...two at once maybe?

Or hell..even the movies?

All the Jedi are dead other than Yoda and Luke at the time frame of the comics. Why would there be in the comics given the time frame? Its confined to the OT era, you can't really do much craziness in the comics set between the films.

Plenty in the prequel era.

Messi

All the Jedi are dead other than Yoda and Luke at the time frame of the comics. Why would there be in the comics given the time frame? Its confined to the OT era, you can't really do much craziness in the comics set between the films.

Plenty in the prequel era.

Sorry Cheebo, I wouldn't know. I know you are a massive Star Wars fan but I haven't seen any of them. Thats why I was asking for advice. I like stuff with strong female characters, I assume you have to be somewhat strong to use a lightsaber. I know the films have Leia and i've read the two issues of her book. Those were alright.

There were a few issues I loved. The Just #1 was everything I wanted.

Sorry Cheebo, I wouldn't know. I know you are a massive Star Wars fan but I haven't seen any of them. Thats why I was asking for advice. I like stuff with strong female characters, I assume you have to be somewhat strong to use a lightsaber. I know the films have Leia and i've read the two issues of her book. Those were alright.
Then watch the movies because leia is one of the OG strong women initially disguised as a damsel in distress

Like I said, Messi... I think Star Wars comics are the way to go for you. Some of them take place so far outside the time period of the films that you need to know very little going in...

Star Wars: Legacy
A legion of Sith have conquered what was left of the Empire, the Jedi have been purged—or fled into hiding—and the galaxy is divided. Meet Cade Skywalker, a bounty hunter who doesn’t want anything to do with the Jedi, his famous name, or his legacy... But his legacy is determined to follow him as the good guys and the bad guys begin to search for him—as a savior, and as a threat.

Star Wars: Legacy II
Ania Solo is just a girl trying to make her way in the galaxy and have a little adventure along the way! But when she stumbles upon a broken communications droid and a missing lightsaber, a little adventure turns into a whole lot of trouble... for Ania and her friends!

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Thousands of years before Luke Skywalker would destroy the Death Star in that fateful battle above Yavin 4, one lone Padawan would become a fugitive hunted by his own Masters, charged with murdering every one of his fellow Jedi-in-training! From criminals hiding out in the treacherous under-city of the planet Taris, to a burly, mysterious droid recovered from the desolate landscape of a cratered moon, Padawan Zayne Carrick will find unexpected allies in his desperate race to clear his name before the unmerciful authorities enact swift retribution upon him!

Star Wars: Knight Errant
Kerra Holt is a new kind of Jedi for a new era of Star Wars! More than one thousand years before Luke Skywalker, the galaxy experiences a dark age as an ineffectual Republic abandons entire systems to Sith control. On her first mission, eighteen-year-old Jedi Kerra Holt has joined a band of Jedi volunteers traveling behind enemy lines. She thinks she is prepared for anything, but when the mission goes awry and she is left in Sith space without any support, Kerra realizes just how wrong she was... But she can't abandon the mission or the colony that the Jedi came to help! This Jedi foundling has her work cut out for her: she is alone, unprepared, without resources, and stuck in a battle between two warring Sith brothers, Lord Odion and Lord Daiman!

fertygo

Multiversity already deliver Pax Americana, The Just, and Thunderworld plus setting up creator can write in more DC continuity thing..

Already justified and accomplish big ton.

Messi would LOVE Knight Errant. It's set so far in the past, centuries before the rise of Darth Bane and the Rule of Two, so no backstory needed. Plus, Joe Quinones draws the covers:
17156.jpg

You listed most of the best Star Wars comics there, Freeza. Never read Legacy II but all the others are quality.

Messi

Messi would LOVE Knight Errant. It's set so far in the past, centuries before the rise of Darth Bane and the Rule of Two, so no backstory needed. Plus, Joe Quinones draws the covers:
17156.jpg

You listed most of the best Star Wars comics there, Freeza. Never read Legacy II but all the others are quality.

I just love Joe Quinones. I will check out some of these comics. Thanks folks :p

Oh no...Dark horse...not on comixology :(

qDNhyQT.gif

I am looking for something very specific.
Your focus for only women characters seems a bit myopic at times. But whatever floats your boat. And as I've said before they exist in the original trilogy. But you've really dug in on that one for some bizarre reason. It's not even really a sci fi series

Its a different character, but Duggan rights a good Nova IMO and every once in a while Rider gets shown some respect.

The people who hate Nova are the people who hate Bendis' GotG. Their sad devotion to those ancient storylines hasn't conjured up the stolen data tapes, or given them enough clairvoyance to explain why an Abnett/Lanning cosmic book never sold more than probably 30k --

HYURK
ACK
CHOKE

Birdie's scrambling to defend modern Guardians and Nova is always good for a chuckle.

Reads Star Wars comics. Refuses to watch movies.

I do this for stuff all the time. I was reading Army of Darkness comics for years before I saw the film. I own the Battlestar Galactica board game and play it regularly but have never seen beyond the miniseries. I love Warhammer 40K and Fantasy stuff but have never played the actual games. I still read World of Warcraft novels despite not playing since the early days of WOTLK.

I never bought into the modern need to see everything from a fictional universe. I blame Netflix for that. Back in my day, you started with the first episode you saw on television and you rolled with it.

Ongoing comics lol.

Star Wars and Darth Vader are ongoing. Leia is a mini IIRC. There is also a Last Padawan series coming soon that ties into Star Wars: Rebels and the A New Dawn novel.

Messi

Your focus for only women characters seems a bit myopic at times. But whatever floats your boat

I don't only read books with female leads. I am sure I pull just as many titles as people here with male characters leading them.

Sometimes I want to read about a badass female hero. I also relate more to female characters for some reason. But there are plenty of books out there I read and love that arent centered around women.

The people who hate Nova are the people who hate Bendis' GotG. Their sad devotion to those ancient storylines hasn't conjured up the stolen data tapes, or given them enough clairvoyance to explain why an Abnett/Lanning cosmic book never sold more than probably 30k --

HYURK
ACK
CHOKE
Using sales as a barometer of quality when earlier today you mocked a lady for doing the same thing regarding Final Crisis? Hypocracy much?

I just love Joe Quinones. I will check out some of these comics. Thanks folks :p

Oh no...Dark horse...not on comixology :(

Some of the Star Wars stuff from Dark Horse is already on Comixology because Marvel took possession of it. I saw three of the four series I mentioned. Of course Knight Errant isn't there yet, tho. But the trades shouldn't be too uncommon yet.

Sandfox

HYURK
ACK
CHOKE

I think a lot of people didn't like Loeb's tenure on the book and/or the fact that Rider got killed off only for us to get a new Nova. I personally think Sam is a nice young hero and the overall story of this run is fun.

ahahaha holy moly wow

dude struck all the nerves

are there any left

grand harrier are you still there

say something

say something about your nerve endings pls

I think a lot of people didn't like Loeb's tenure on the book and/or the fact that Rider got killed off only for us to get a new Nova.

The fact that he named the new Nova after his dead son really bothered me as well.

And shoehorning him into Ultimate Spider-Man along with Stoner Iron Fist, Fiesty Ethnic Obligatory Girl Character and 80s Wrestling Singlet Luke Cage, back when I still had hope for that show.

Messi

I also edited in movies after I had posted it because I wanted to expand the scope of answers. But really I was looking to see if the books/comics had badass lightsaber using women. I am aware the movies have Leia in them and I will eventually watch the movies, of that I am sure. I am just not willing to spend the money right now to get that blu ray box set.

Using sales as a barometer of quality when earlier today you mocked a lady for doing the same thing regarding Final Crisis? Hypocracy much?

It was the only thing that fit into my Star Wars reference SORRY.

And that wasn't "mocking", that was plain old infuriation. I wasn't "making fun" of her. I was stating my stark disagreement with the hypothesis by way of explaining that it made me consider her a jerk.

The key distinction was that she made that assessment outside of the realm of a Star Wars reference.

As you can clearly see by my post, I made the assessment CLEARLY WITHIN THE BOUNDS of a very recognizable and well-known Star Wars reference.

I honestly don't know how I could be any clearer about this.

Sandfox

The fact that he named the new Nova after his dead son really bothered me as well.

And shoehorning him into Ultimate Spider-Man along with Stoner Iron Fist, Plucky Ethnic Girl and 80s Wrestling Singlet Luke Cage, back when I still had hope for that show.

I don't have a problem with him naming a character after his son but I don't think having him replace an older hero was a good idea. I don't like how Loeb made him so unlikable in the show. I think that made a lot of people automatically assume comic Sam was the same way.

And shoehorning him into Ultimate Spider-Man, back when I still had hope for that show.

I don't get why that bothers people. Have they reacted to the deaths of their own sons in different, more agreeable ways?

I couldn't even begin to imagine how that would wreck a dude. I figure he's entitled to name a whole frigging comic publishing imprint after him.

I mean, it's a fictional character. Who cares if that's how he wants to honor his memory.

I'm legit curious why that specifically bothers people. Because it's brought up a lot.

It was the only thing that fit into my Star Wars reference SORRY.

And that wasn't "mocking", that was plain old infuriation. I wasn't "making fun" of her. I was stating my stark disagreement with the hypothesis by way of explaining that it made me consider her a jerk.

The key distinction was that she made that assessment outside of the realm of a Star Wars reference.

As you can clearly see by my post, I made the assessment CLEARLY WITHIN THE BOUNDS of a very recognizable and well-known Star Wars reference.

I honestly don't know how I could be any clearer about this.
Ah I see the reference now.

The more you tighten your grip the more comic sales slip through your fingers.

HYURK
ACK
CHOKE

Birdie, I've seen you say this before and I disagree. Hating Bendis GOTG is not equivalent to a "sad devotion to ancient storylines". Hell, I didn't read GOTG till right before the movie came out. Just looking at it as a standalone, Bendi's GOTG has many problems. Bad pacing, non-distinctive characters, lots of excess panels just to build to a one-liner with a dreamworks grin and no vision of where the run is heading or trying to say.

Birdie, I've seen you say this before and I disagree. Hating Bendis GOTG is not equivalent to a "sad devotion to ancient storylines". Hell, I didn't read GOTG till right before the movie came out. Just looking at it as a standalone, Bendi's GOTG has many problems. Bad pacing, non-distinctive characters, lots of excess panels just to build to a one-liner with a dreamworks grin and no vision of where the run is heading or trying to say.

You've pinpointed why I hate Bendis Guardians. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

Sandfox

You pretty much just described every book Bendis is currently writing.

Top Bottom