• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

I also edited in movies after I had posted it because I wanted to expand the scope of answers. But really I was looking to see if the books/comics had badass lightsaber using women. I am aware the movies have Leia in them and I will eventually watch the movies, of that I am sure. I am just not willing to spend the money right now to get that blu ray box set.
Movies no. In the expanded comic universe and clone wars show yes.

Im sure people will disagree but the Jedi and the light sabers werent the main focus of the first 3 movies. To me it was the ships, the battles, and the Jedi duels were the cherry on the top. I think since these movies everyone that does Star Wars puts too much focus on the light sabers, Jedi, etc. They're best in smaller doses

Birdie, I've seen you say this before and I disagree. Hating Bendis GOTG is not equivalent to a "sad devotion to ancient storylines". Hell, I didn't read GOTG till right before the movie came out. Just looking at it as a standalone, Bendi's GOTG has many problems. Bad pacing, non-distinctive characters, lots of excess panels just to build to a one-liner with a dreamworks grin and no vision of where the run is heading or trying to say.

o shit

that dreamworks finish

i ain't even mad

i can't even top that

Im sure people will disagree but the Jedi and the light sabers werent the main focus of the first 3 movies. To me it was the ships, the battles, and the Jedi duels were the cherry on the top. I think since these movies everyone puts too much focus on the light sabers, Jedi, etc. They're best in smaller doses

I never thought of it that way but damn.

You right. And I LOVE the prequels for their effects and world realization (and Podracing).

I don't get why that bothers people. Have they reacted to the deaths of their own sons in different, more agreeable ways?

I couldn't even begin to imagine how that would wreck a dude. I figure he's entitled to name a whole frigging comic publishing imprint after him.

I mean, it's a fictional character. Who cares if that's how he wants to honor his memory.

I'm legit curious why that specifically bothers people. Because it's brought up a lot.

If he wanted to make an original series and name a character after him, that would be fine. The problem, for me at least, is he's doing this from a position of power (being involved with Marvel's TV output) and he's changing something he doesn't own. Would the character's name be the same if he wasn't Head of Marvel Television? My gut says no TBH. It's almost like bringing in new X-Men after Secret Wars, only they're named after the roster of the San Francisco Giants because Axel Alonso really likes baseball. I've always thought that Kitty Pryde being named after a girl Claremont knew IRL was a little creepy as well.

Plus, the fact that Star-Lord and Thanos came back and Rich didn't really sticks in my craw, and then they made it worse with the attempt to justify it during Original Sin.

Im sure people will disagree but the Jedi and the light sabers werent the main focus of the first 3 movies. To me it was the ships, the battles, and the Jedi duels were the cherry on the top. I think since these movies everyone that does Star Wars puts too much focus on the light sabers, Jedi, etc. They're best in smaller doses

True. I vastly prefer the duels in the OT because they're not so full of flippity-dos. Vader's style was always my favourite with the slow, strong strikes.

If he wanted to make an original series and name a character after him, that would be fine. The problem, for me at least, is he's doing this from a position of power (being involved with Marvel's TV output) and he's changing something he doesn't own. Would the character's name be the same if he wasn't Head of Marvel Television? My gut says no TBH. It's almost like bringing in new X-Men after Secret Wars, only they're named after the roster of the San Francisco Giants because Axel Alonso really likes baseball. I've always thought that Kitty Pryde being named after a girl Claremont had the horn for was a little creepy as well.

Plus, the fact that Star-Lord and Thanos came back and Rich didn't really sticks in my craw, and then they made it worse with the attempt to justify it during Original Sin.

wwwwaaaaait, loeb didn't come up with the Nova Corps, did he? that introduced the idea of novas not named Dick Rider. really having trouble following the outrage here.

wwwwaaaaait, loeb didn't come up with the Nova Corps, did he? that introduced the idea of novas not named Dick Rider. really having trouble following the outrage here.

Not the point and you know it. I've got no problem with legacy characters in general. You're basically saying I couldn't be mad if they brought in a new Green Lantern named after a dead relative of a DC Comics writer either. That would bug me too. So would any legacy character created along the same lines.

And it's not like he didn't do tributes that were fine before. There's a great issue of Superman/Batman which was a tribute to Sam done by something like 50 writers and artists. I'm not saying you can't do that. I just question why you would add that to the universe on a permanent basis, ESPECIALLY a universe where death is inherently cheap.

Not the point and you know it. I've got no problem with legacy characters in general. You're basically saying I couldn't be mad if they brought in a new Green Lantern named after a dead relative of a DC Comics writer either. That would bug me too. So would any legacy character created along the same lines.

And it's not like he didn't do tributes that were fine before. There's a great issue of Superman/Batman which was a tribute to Sam done by something like 50 writers and artists. I'm not saying you can't do that. I just question why you would add that to the universe on a permanent basis, ESPECIALLY a universe where death is inherently cheap.

I'm not saying you can't be mad about it, you obviously are.

I just don't understand why.

PsychBat!

Banned
Birdie's at it again with being confused at people hating Bendis' GotG?

What else is new?

What's up, Birdie? I thought you and me settled this in Mortal Kombat?

I want to read a fun pirate comic. Does one exist? The only thing I can think of was El Cazador from crossgen (RIP) but that only lasted 6 issues.

Edit: doing some googling has anyone read Polly and the Pirates?

Owzers

I want to read a fun pirate comic. Does one exist? The only thing I can think of was El Cazador from crossgen (RIP) but that only lasted 6 issues.

Edit: doing some googling has anyone read Polly and the Pirates?

Cursed Pirate Girl? I own it but haven't read it, I heard a lot of good things aboot it though.

LosDaddie

Banned
OmnibusGAF, which version of the Avengers vol #2 omnibus did you get this week? I'm going to place my order at IST soon (for the 50% off), and i'm kinda torn on cover I want.

I think the standard Alex Ross cover is fantastic, but the variant "classic" cover is nice too. dammit...

Will be too busy playing Bloodborne to read comics list

Catwoman #40
Gotham Academy #6
Jem & The Holograms #1
Support Sophia!
Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw #5
Pray for tiger boobs!
Chew #47
Invincible #118
Walking Dead #139

Wicked + Divine #9
Powers #2
Uncanny X-Men #32

Owzers

the problem with not reading a lot of info about a game before playing it is unwanted surprises. Resident Evil Revelations 2 seems like a co-op only game, the computer ai for your partner is, apparently, awful to the point of wondering how it's possible it be so awful. If you switch off Claire, the computer won't shoot anything, and Claire is the only one with a gun, and they worked in combos that the computer won't take part in.

Bloodlist or ListBorne.

AQUAMAN #40 $2.99
BATMAN AND ROBIN #40 $2.99
BATMAN ETERNAL #51 $2.99
CATWOMAN #40 $2.99
DEATHSTROKE #6 $2.99
GOTHAM ACADEMY #6 $2.99
GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT #5 $2.99
MULTIVERSITY ULTRA COMICS #1 $4.99
WAYWARD #6 CVR A CUMMINGS & BONVILLAIN (MR) $3.50
WICKED & DIVINE #9 (MR) $3.50
WYTCHES #5 (MR) $2.99

Also this week:

BIGHARD1.png

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The current Guardians run is one of the blandest books at the moment. It has very little to do with how it's disregarding past continuity and it also isn't fair to slam DnA's run for low sales when it is one of the main reasons the movie did so well and the current run is doing these numbers.

Bendis has a tremendous output in volume and some of his work both old and new is fantastic, USM and Powers being personal favorites. This book isn't reaching those highs and unfortunately it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon.

Bendis has a tremendous output in volume and some of his work both old and new is fantastic, USM and Powers being personal favorites. This book isn't reaching those highs and unfortunately it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon.

I feel like Bendis does better work when he has a more focused story to work with. Powers and Spider-man are both smaller in scale than cosmic titles like Guardians, or team books like X-Men. That said, I've still been digging the X-Men books, even if they aren't high literature. Bachalo art makes up for most anyrhing in my book. Anyway, I can't speak to the quality of his Avengers run since I didn't read it, but I've been enjoying the Hickman stuff a great deal.

Squire

Banned
What's the best X-Men book running right now?
What are the best DC books running right now?

All-New Hawkeye #1: Solid start. The dialogue isn't as snappy as Fraction, but it's only the first issue. The art for the flashbacks is great, the stuff in the present less so. I'm going to miss Fraction's TV stylings, so hopefully Lemire's plan for his story works out ultimately. I'd probably be better trade waiting it, but I'm far too invested for that now. Also, I figured the "deaf Clint" cop out would come exactly as it did, but I can't say I wouldn't do the same. Still kinda sad though. Fraction's explanation for why he brought that back is really touching.

Young Avengers Vol. 1: As snappy and stylish as I've come to expect from Gillen and McKelvie. Very fun, very modern, very fast-paced (I read three issues in a sitting). I like it. I bought the next volume. It needs more Kate Bishop.

What's the best X-Men book running right now?
What are the best DC books running right now?

X-Men: I would say Uncanny. Bachalo on art duties is just too HHHHNNNNNGGGG. And Eva Bell is better than any of the OG crew.

DC books, I would recommend Gotham Academy, and Grayson.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Bendis does better work when he has a more focused story to work with. Powers and Spider-man are both smaller in scale than cosmic titles like Guardians, or team books like X-Men. That said, I've still been digging the X-Men books, even if they aren't high literature. Bachalo art makes up for most anyrhing in my book. Anyway, I can't speak to the quality of his Avengers run since I didn't read it, but I've been enjoying the Hickman stuff a great deal.

The X-Men run so far has been fairly good. Avengers was mostly okay for me though I get why a lot of people had problems with it. Guardians has some cool ideas in the world building; with the stuff like the Galactic Council but I feel like we still haven't had major payoffs to anything and satisfying pacing.

Squire

Banned
Gotham Academy and Grayson are both excellent

X-Men: I would say Uncanny. Bachalo on art duties is just too HHHHNNNNNGGGG. And Eva Bell is better than any of the OG crew.

DC books, I would recommend Gotham Academy, and Grayson.

Ah cool, I have a few issues of Gotham Academy already. Making note of Grayson.

Where would I start with Uncanny? I know that's a pretty long-running book.

Edit: DUDE, Eva Bell seems fuckin' awesome.

Ah cool, I have a few issues of Gotham Academy already. Making note of Grayson.

Where would I start with Uncanny? I know that's a pretty long-running book.

There was a new #1 in early 2013 to kick off the Brian Michael Bendis run on the book.

If you're reading trades, this is the one you start with:

It's worth keeping in mind that after an arc or two, Uncanny X-Men does crossover with All-New X-Men for a bit. Also a good book. But there may be a bit of confusion if you read one series and not the other.

Edit: DUDE, Eva Bell seems fuckin' awesome.

That's because she is, my friend. She is.

Squire

Banned
There was a new #1 in early 2013 to kick off the Brian Michael Bendis run on the book.

If you're reading trades, this is the one you start with:

It's worth keeping in mind that after an arc or two, Uncanny X-Men does crossover with All-New X-Men for a bit. Also a good book. But there may be a bit of confusion if you read one series and not the other.

That's because she is, my friend. She is.

Nice. I think I'll just jump into ANX. Plot seems interesting and Bell is in that to start.

Thanks!

Edit: Unless you think that's a bad idea. If it's big arc I'd be confused coming into in the middle (kinda) maybe I should just pace myself and start at the beginning?

I prefer All New X-Men to Uncanny. Writing teenagers is one of Bendis's strengths and Bachalo's coloring is pretty meh. He uses lens flares too often (more than zero times would be too often). Also, Immomen is the best capes artist in the biz right now. I would recommend reading any comic he is on

I just finished up doing some re reads of some comics I hadnt read in ages.
Red Wing by Hickman and Pitarra:
I remember reading it and not getting it all. Now Im used to Hickman and the book clicked with me. Its a great stand alone book. Its about how warfare is conducted when time travel is possible.
The Coffin by Hester and Huddlestone:
One of my favorite comics even if I rarely read it. Really gorgeous black and white book with a great story. If I had to recommend a book to y'all that I don't has gotten enough love, it would be this book. Its about an asshole scientist who creates a 'coffin' that will encase your soul when you die. The back reads 'What if Dr Frankernstein made a monster of himself?' That should sell yall on it. Get it on it yall!

I prefer All New X-Men to Uncanny. Writing teenagers is one of Bendis's strengths and Bachalo's coloring is pretty meh. He uses lens flares too often (more than zero times would be too often). Also, Immomen is the best capes artist in the biz right now. I would recommend reading any comic he is on

I just finished up doing some re reads of some comics I hadnt read in ages.

Red Wing by Hickman and Pitarra:
I remember reading it and not getting it all. Now Im used to Hickman and the book clicked with me. Its a great stand alone book. Its about how warfare is conducted when time travel is possible.

One of my favorite comics even if I rarely read it. Really gorgeous black and white book with a great story. If I had to recommend a book to y'all that I don't has gotten enough love, it would be this book. Its about an asshole scientist who creates a 'coffin' that will encase your soul when you die. The back reads 'What if Dr Frankernstein made a monster of himself?' That should sell yall on it. Get it on it yall!
Read and enjoyed both of those. It's unny because I don't remember why I picked up red wing when it came out. And thought it was weird but cool. Now I see it and go "oh that's obviously a Hickman book"

Squire

Banned

So ANX can be enjoyed without Uncanny?

Edit: Oh nvm, I can see Bendis didn't even start his Uncanny run until like five months after ANX started.

Oh man, guys. Sabrina #1 was so good. And that artwork. :O

I've really gotta cull my pull list with Secret Wars and post-Convergence coming up.

This looks awesome! It doesn't seem to have a digital version though. :(

But nothing really came out of it when you consider the expectations built up by the AvX epilogue books and what the team actually did. Bendis is good at ending runs though.

The best thing about Bendis is he puts all the toys back in the box when he's done.

I've really gotta cull my pull list with Secret Wars and post-Convergence coming up.
Already did that myself, post convergence looks like Batman, Grayson and Justice League. Still waiting to see what the creative teams will look like after secret wars, but will probably be ASM, and whatever Remender, Aaron, Kot and (maybe) Spencer come back to do.

Image stuff keeps growing, when's Papergirls!?

Dalek

Birdie, I've seen you say this before and I disagree. Hating Bendis GOTG is not equivalent to a "sad devotion to ancient storylines". Hell, I didn't read GOTG till right before the movie came out. Just looking at it as a standalone, Bendi's GOTG has many problems. Bad pacing, non-distinctive characters, lots of excess panels just to build to a one-liner with a dreamworks grin and no vision of where the run is heading or trying to say.

It's suddenly so clear...

Batgirl #40: The way she beat her nemesis was pretty dumb but very comic booky so I won't really hold that against it. The implications for the future are interesting.

tim1138

What's your opinion on Stargirl then? Her personality and first name are after Geoff Johns sister who died in a horrific plane crash.

Zombine

Banned
I think that's less the problem and more that the son effectively replaces an established character with a vocal following.

I get that, but I also get that the status quo needs to be shaken up a bit. Let him have his run to help with the grieving process, then move on from him and make him a tertiary characrer.

I don't want young Jean and Eva to go away :(

The Adventures of Young Jean & Eva Bell

Top Bottom