• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
25 issues into Civil War (as usual, counting tie ins), I cant even say its bad, its just...bland. Its boring, nothing really happens. Spidey's "coming out" was ok I guess, maybe it would have been impactful back then if I didnt know it was happening. Like I said last night my favorite part so far is the Civil War: Frontline stories with Speedball in prison

Owzers

25 issues into Civil War (as usual, counting tie ins), I cant even say its bad, its just...bland. Its boring, nothing really happens. Spidey's "coming out" was ok I guess, maybe it would have been impactful back then if I didnt know it was happening. Like I said last night my favorite part so far is the Civil War: Frontline stories with Speedball in prison

Have you ever read Ellis' Thunderbolts? That comes out of Civil War and involves Speedball.

Boogiepop

Read my first chunk of the monstrously huge Geoff Johns Green Lantern Omnibus. Pretty much just up through where the Parallax/Specter stuff finishes up. It was okay so far, especially seeing as I kind of recall some hate for that retcon. I haven't read the stuff, but from what I read something like that pretty much needed to happen if Johns was going to bring back Hal as main character material, so I'm fine with it. Bit silly of course, but it was handled well enough for what it was (though Batman was written as a bit more of a dick than necessary, imo).

Bii

I share the same opinion. It wasn't bad but just wasn't interesting enough to keep me involved. If you want to read a bad event, there's Fear Itself. Not that I would recommend you to read it but if you're curious.

Owzers

I share the same opinion. It wasn't bad but just wasn't interesting enough to keep me involved. If you want to read a bad event, there's Fear Itself. Not that I would recommend you to read it but if you're curious.

If you want to read a bad event, there's nearly every event to choose from. I prefer Secret Invasion for a bad event favorite.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Have you ever read Ellis' Thunderbolts? That comes out of Civil War and involves Speedball.

Elli's Thunderbolts is one of the many (many) books I started, loved, and didnt continue (too many books man). Ill get to it

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thanks. The hate this story gets is pretty stupid.

ReAxion

I liked Frontline a lot. Little draggy 2/3 of the way through but I thought the payoff was great.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I liked Frontline a lot. Little draggy 2/3 of the way through but I thought the payoff was great.
The concept of the book is incredible. I would really love to see more series in the vain of this book.
The world of the superheros theough the eyes of ordinary people.

ReAxion

did anyone post this?

http://www.kungfugrippe.com/post/114420377144/take-aim-with-this-new-marvel-shop-collectible

tumblr_nlofc8ihOm1qz4rlzo1_1280.jpg

Batman #5 1941 was another pretty cool Batman vs The Joker one-shot. He was just as creepy and evil in 1941 as he is now. It's Batman that really hasn't found his personality yet. Dick Grayson is pretty spot on. Really enjoying reading these old stories.

Googling around for more Doom stories, ran into a few things

And this one, which i kinda wanna find at all costs now

The first one is from Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet, from the Atomic Robo guy. It's aimed at kids but I enjoyed it.

Ordered Triumph and Torment. Thanks.

Good choice.

When are they making Kate? (I already know the answer to this)

Parch

Batman #5 1941 was another pretty cool Batman vs The Joker one-shot. He was just as creepy and evil in 1941 as he is now. It's Batman that really hasn't found his personality yet. Dick Grayson is pretty spot on. Really enjoying reading these old stories.
I like reading those vintage comics as well.
I'm thinking after the Detective Comic issues they had a really good idea where they wanted to go with the character so the Batman title started strong.

I'm thinking after the Detective Comic issues they had a really good idea where they wanted to go with the character so the Batman title started strong.

Yeah it's pretty neat to see how a character has evolved and where other writers may have looked for inspiration.

I just read Detective Comics #sixty-something from 1942 which is another Joker one-shot. This one really showed the flamboyant, campy side of the characters. Definitely an inspiration for the 66 show.

Squire

Banned
You guys know the thread for Hickman's Avengers? Can someone link me to a reading order like that, but All-New X-men/Uncanny/etc? Pretty sure I need to start reading Uncanny now as the team just showed up in ANX again and they're wearing different (more badass) costumes.

For the life of me I can't remember exactly. It was fan art I found, if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can find the source.

Thanks!

tim1138

Yeah it's pretty neat to see how a character has evolved and where other writers may have looked for inspiration.

I just read Detective Comics #sixty-something from 1942 which is another Joker one-shot. This one really showed the flamboyant, campy side of the characters. Definitely an inspiration for the 66 show.

Dude, I love old comics so much, especially Silver Age stuff. It's so fun to go back and read the comics before they were written for the trade and often were just weird and campy. Silver Age Batman is especially great stuff.

Raife

How many Secret Wars books are there left for Marvel to announce? Someone posted a graphic that had a bunch of series yet to be revealed on it a while back but I can't track that down.

Sandfox

How many Secret Wars books are there left for Marvel to announce? Someone posted a graphic that had a bunch of series yet to be revealed on it a while back but I can't track that down.

We have 47 books so far IIRC and the latest Axel-in-Charge basically said there's still some more stuff to go. That image was just for stuff shipping in July.

Parch

Dude, I love old comics so much, especially Silver Age stuff. It's so fun to go back and read the comics before they were written for the trade and often were just weird and campy.
I'm fond of the old horror titles. Dark Horse has been reprinting Creepy and Eerie. They're great. The old EC horror titles are classic too. There are Steve Ditko Archives collections that are pure gold. The comics "before the code" are so bizarre and hilarious.

Top Bottom