• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Owzers

I finished the last season of Breaking Bad, i loved the part where *spoils everything for the other comics-gaf person who is going through the series*

Now i will certainly get back to reading comics...

Owzers

So..did you like the show? Where's the score!

I took a long break after season 1 because i thought it was a bit too slow and mopey for my entertainment tastes but things definitely sped up and it was quite the enthralling experience. My main gripe is that i mostly dislike Walter White...a lot, in the same way that i didn't really like House of Cards despite its quality because of the Underwood couple. I'd still give Breaking Bad a solid random 8/10 though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I took a long break after season 1 because i thought it was a bit too slow and mopey for my entertainment tastes but things definitely sped up and it was quite the enthralling experience. My main gripe is that i mostly dislike Walter White...a lot, in the same way that i didn't really like House of Cards despite its quality because of the Underwood couple. I'd still give Breaking Bad a solid random 8/10 though.

I loved Breaking Bad despite the fact that Walter White ended up becoming almost an antagonist.
However, House of Cards I just couldn't stand. I literally hated every single character in that show. The writing and acting were great and all, but it just felt dirty to watch with every single character being an irredeemable scumbag. Couldn't make it past the end of Season 1.

I love the show because I learned to hate Walt so much. It's done gradually at first but then I took a step back and realized how awful he is, and how fun it'll be to see it all end. Loved the show. Best thing since the wire in the drama category

It's the people that never could see Walt as the villian that always confused me. And all the back bending they'd do to try and justify it.

Owzers

I love the show because I learned to hate Walt so much. It's done gradually at first but then I took a step back and realized how awful he is, and how fun it'll be to see it all end. Loved the show. Best thing since the wire in the drama category

It's the people that never could see Walt as the villian that always confused me. And all the back bending they'd do to try and justify it.

Heavy spoiler-time
All the times Jesse got hosed really got me down, Hank dying too. For the last two seasons every episode left me wanting to watch another episode and not in that cheap Lost way where something interesting happened in the last 5 minutes, but i was eager to see what happened to these people. I joined the ant-Walter team when he was drunk and got his son to drink tequila because he was mad that his son was closer to Hank than him sometimes. Jesse trying to sell meth to people in those recovery meetings ....youch, but they killed off BOTH his girlfriends and poisoned the one's son...and made him a meth cook slave. Maybe the show went on for one season too long because it felt like they were just piling on to Jesse and he was always crying because terrible things keep happening to him. Walter also felt stretched, he had to keep finding ways to be an asshole and adding up the lies to his family but it felt slightly tiresome after awhile.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I mean, by the end, you know he's evil, but in a way you're still rooting for him at least a tiny bit. I don't recall ever actively rooting against him at least.

I root for him like I root for Doom

Bii

question. my gf wants to read fables. is it on going? I ask because she doesn't get into older comics that much and it seems like it's been going on for a decade or so.

As others have said, it's ongoing but only has one issue left. It'll end at #150 but that last issue will be oversized and will be a volume in of itself. Since she's already interested, I'd recommend it to her. My girlfriend loved it, if not more than me. We jumped on a few years back and started with the first few trades; not more than a day or two later, we had burned through them so fast that I had to order the subsequent volumes that followed. Definitely a fun read.

I went to a local anime con this past weekend (Ani-Me Con 4.0) and figured I would check it out. My bro's friend who had drawn in my sketchbook not long ago was there, so if I couldn't find any artist there to get a sketch from, I would have grabbed another piece from him. Fortunately, that wasn't the case and saw some artists that I did like. The first booth that grabbed my attention were two ladies who specialized in drawing anime-inspired art and, what caught my eye, chibi characters! I opted to go with the one who was charging a cheaper price, and had better drawing lines from the samples I've seen of hers. Her coloring wasn't that great but she offered to do a few shades of gray at no extra charge. So here's the piece I got from Kiki Pham:

WR96F1Z.jpg

The other sketch I got was from a Bay Area artist, Bordin Marsinkul, who I have seen a few Youtube videos of. His printed pieces weren't all that impressive but I did like the commissions he's done. He has a 5'x3' poster board of pictures of past commissions he's done, which gave me a good idea of what he's capable of. He was able to do this for me in about 10 minutes; which worked out well since I hadn't planned to stay too long. I like his use of brush strokes of paint here and there as it gives my collected art a bit of variety instead of the usual ink/copic commissions.

Also got about 30 street passes on my 3DS. A bit disappointing with the low amount given that I was there for 3-4 hours. The next con I'm attending, Big Wow Comicfest, is less than a month away. I'm hoping to add Paolo Rivera and Nick Bradshaw to my book.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Whats so funny? I never particulary cared for Cap :/

I am sorry, but like the others said... Nobody is perfect :/

(I didnt liked him that much until I started to watch Marvel Movies, too. Read Brubakers Captain America/Winter Soldier Stuff when you are done with Civil War)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't dislike cap mind you, just...didn't really care about him. Or any avenger to be fair, you all know I'm a x-men fanboy

Rhaknar

Experts, expert me. Who are the best Joe Mad style artists out there? Bonus points for examples

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Are Multiversity Issues 23 pages? 6+2 Issues + the Guidebook.
About 284 pages? I am not sure how many pages the Guidebook has.

If it's the 8 issues plus the guidebook and other bonus material, it'll be nearing 400 pages. Edit: Beaten.

How many pages will this be....I may just blindly get it, but man the cover could be better.

That's not the trade cover.

question. my gf wants to read fables. is it on going? I ask because she doesn't get into older comics that much and it seems like it's been going on for a decade or so.

It is still ongoing. But if she likes complete stories, Fables Deluxe v1-v9 will feel like one. She can decide if she wants to continue after that or not.

I mean, by the end, you know he's evil, but in a way you're still rooting for him at least a tiny bit. I don't recall ever actively rooting against him at least.

Madness. He lost me at Season 2 and got worse from there. He's probably the worst person in TV history.

Finale Spoilers to be polite:

When Uncle Jack brings out Jesse and says to Walter, "This look likes partner to you? 50/50? Partners?" this is the key, central moment of the series. Because this is exactly what a partner is to Walter White. A chained up slave, beaten and manipulated with barely anything human left, forced into murder (which he's about to do to Todd). It's the entire series in microcosm. One last clever trick by Walter resulting in more murder. Only this time, finally, Walter doesn't get what he wants. This time his cunning finally kills him.

Rot in hell you worthless piece of shit. Jesse won.

My mind's tellin' me noooooooooo
BUT MY BODY
MY BODY'S TELLIN' ME YESSSSSSSSS

I finished playing Tales of the Borderlands Ep 1. Fuck. That was awesome. Fionas character design is amazing. Love all the voice acting and I thought it looked great on x1. Them again I love telltale stuff so it's not surprising.

How are the Borderlands comics? It's nice having story in Borderlands.

I've played all of the first two games and hated the writing (they're fun games with friends), but bought Tales anyway because I was so hype for new Telltale and I haven't seen Game of Thrones so that's out. I'm going to wait till the new rig comes to play it but the feedback from GAF has me hyped. I almost bought the Pre-Sequel in the 2K sale but my group has finished most of it already and I don't want to play it alone. I might still get it, the Summer Sale's only a month or two away.

I'm just happy that Man of Action are getting paid again.

My pre-sequel is still downloading the update but I played a smidge of BL2 in Handsome last night and god it feels good to be back in the Borderlands. Probably my last game until Rock Band 4...

Any Udon artist:

Joe Ng

large.jpg

Jeffrey "Chamba" Cruz

Street_Fighter_II_Turbo_3a_by_UdonCrew.jpg

Edwin Huang

street_fighter_udon_by_edwinhuang-d7tnmde.jpg
Yeah I like Udon's lineup of artists. Kinda bummed out I didn't really enjoy the Darkstalkers comic since it's one of my favorite fighters. I could give it another chance but it didn't really make me want anymore. Bleh.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Does Alibris support Paypal Payment only in the US? I could cry, I book I were looking for for quiete a long time for a good price and then a creditcard is needed :( Oh man...

Edit: I got it :D Yeah, now I have booth Ultimates OHCs :D

Bii

Yeah I like Udon's lineup of artists. Kinda bummed out I didn't really enjoy the Darkstalkers comic since it's one of my favorite fighters. I could give it another chance but it didn't really make me want anymore. Bleh.

I've met Edwin and Joe and they are pretty cool guys. Their commissioned sketches are fucking fantastic.

Gonna try and get me a hotel for SDCC today. Hope I get one of my choices.

Top Bottom