• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

I fucking love today's artist, the only thing I appreciate more then a good artist is a consistent one who can keep a schedule. I still put a lot of loyalty in writers but I also respect writers who stay loyal to artists.

Creative teams that have a strong releationship are the best. Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky probably have the most fun together in the entire industry and put out a successful book. Chip's career suddenly jumping to writing multiple books isn't a coincidence.

Too bad, there are only a handful of such strong creative teams.

One of the things that's happen over the years, particularly at Marvel, is having artists rotate arcs or having "new series artist" like every four five issues, lol. I'm fine with that in theory, but you don't have unity of creative voice for the whole run, and it makes seem that much disposable, cogs in the machine cuz this mothafucka has to come out every month with or without you.

But if that's the only way we get Frazier Irving or Frank Quitely on a Batman book, I'll take it. You just gonna have niggas referring to it as "Morrison's Batman" instead of "Morrison/Kubert/Williams III/Quitely/Burnham/Stewart/Irving/Paquette's Batman", cuz what a mouthful.

that is one of the things I like about Image now, they'll take breaks in-between their trade-size stories so they keep the same aesthetic throughout. Every single issue of Saga is gonna be by BKV and Fiona Staples, nobody else.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
But if that's the only way we get Frazier Irving or Frank Quitely on a Batman book, I'll take it. You just gonna have niggas referring to it as "Morrison's Batman" instead of "Morrison/Kubert/Williams III/Quitely/Burnham/Stewart/Irving/Paquette's Batman", cuz what a mouthful.
Yo, you left out Tony S. Dan....
Zurenarrh.jpg

Yeah, you know what, good call, ViewtifulJC.

now JC's leaving out Tony Daniel and Philip Tan from the Batman artist list

very sus
...and Serp beat me to it. Damn.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Comics collection additions, birthday edition:

BPRD: Plague of Frogs, Book 4
Corto Maltese: Under the Sign of Capricorn
The Fade Out, Vol 1
Global Frequency
The Sculptor

My backlog is now like 30-40 books deep. This whole weekend is going to be dedicated to catching up on hobbies.

frye

I agree, I think there's better, more visually distinctive artists working on North American monthly comics now then there's ever been, with far superior printing, coloring, inking on average. And its not just indie titles like it was in the 80s with Zot, Flagg!, Nexus, Mr. X, Grendel, etc. You look at the line-up of artists during Marvel heyday int he 80s compared to now, you have a couple outliers like Sienkiwicz on New Mutants or Simonson on Thor, but most of them are in that Buscema/Romita model. Now you got Dauterman, Ribic, Immonen, Aja, Franchevella, Samnee, Martin, Rivera, Rodriguez, Del Mundo, Shanier, Bradshaw, Alphona, Pulido, Andrews, Allred, Shalvey, Bachalo, McNiven, Weaver, Davis, Stegman, Acuna, Ramon Perez, Noto, Henderson, Quinones, etc. Hardly any of these two could be confused for each other, and not only are they visually interesting, but unlike a lot of those proto-Image Comic dudes in the 90s, they're great sequential storytellers, too.

That's why I'm still a little peeved how we're still in that Cult of the Writer mindset. As in, they put "Bendis" big on the omnibus when Maleev drew the whole thing, or how niggas be sayin' "Ennis' Preacher" when "Ennis/Dillon" is the creative team for all 60 issues, or how writers get all kinds of interviews about where they got their ideas or what their favorite comic was as a kid or what food they ate on the way to the studio today while artists get nothing, or Jason Aaron goes off to million-selling comic superstardom after Scalped while RM Guera, the mothafucka who did all the visual storytelling in this visual storytelling medium, is on struggle Dark Horse genre comics

But that don't stop people from saying "Jason Aaron's Scalped" and bringing that prophecy to life.

Lotta great artists out there right now, try to appreciate them

good posting, alt

But yeah, pretty much. For every writer that's "good" there's probably a hundred artists on that level and yet we treat the shittiest of writers as if they were doing the bulk of the actual physical labour that goes into making comics

One of the things that's happen over the years, particularly at Marvel, is having artists rotate arcs or having "new series artist" like every four five issues, lol. I'm fine with that in theory, but you don't have unity of creative voice for the whole run, and it makes seem that much disposable, cogs in the machine cuz this mothafucka has to come out every month with or without you.

that is one of the things I like about Image now, they'll take breaks in-between their trade-size stories so they keep the same aesthetic throughout. Every single issue of Saga is gonna be by BKV and Fiona Staples, nobody else.

Rotating artist are just a regular thing in the big two (including Valiant).

They can be planned for the most part like Morrison's Batman and Robin, or they call in Khoi Pham to do a single issue that feels like driving over a pothole.

They can actually be refreshing, if editors just put a little more work into it.

Comics collection additions, birthday edition:

BPRD: Plague of Frogs, Book 4
Corto Maltese: Under the Sign of Capricorn
The Fade Out, Vol 1
Global Frequency
The Sculptor

My backlog is now like 30-40 books deep. This whole weekend is going to be dedicated to catching up on hobbies.

Happy Birthday!

Those are some great books!

so Deadly Class 1-6:

damn this was crazy. i kinda wish somebody gave a copy of this to Oliver Stone in the 80s/early 90s to adapt to film. Because it's like if Natural Born Killers and Breakfast Club had a baby with a dash of 'shitting on reagan' to entice him.

the colouring was beautiful, especially during the acid trip in vegas. i just kinda wish they focused more on the day-to-day at school, they barely show us what it's like.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
so Deadly Class 1-6:

damn this was crazy. i kinda wish somebody gave a copy of this to Oliver Stone in the 80s/early 90s to adapt to film. Because it's like if Natural Born Killers and Breakfast Club had a baby with a dash of 'shitting on reagan' to entice him.

the colouring was beautiful, especially during the acid trip in vegas. i just kinda wish they focused more on the day-to-day at school, they barely show us what it's like.

Yo, we found GrandHarrier's alt!

But really, I think the focus on the relationship between the characters is so much better than anything school-related, and I'd be super okay with them never showing a single class. The school idea was a really crazy and convenient way to get this group of kids together, but the meat of the story is kind of watching these kids act like dumb, arrogant, fallible,heartbroken, highschool kids, but in extreme circumstances.

Like, the whole road-trip bit is just fucking perfect. Bunch of highschoolers ditch class to do a bunch of drugs in vegas. The build up of the shitstorm is fucking exhilarating, but you've also got the building of relationships and bonds, even if they're tenuous, through what these kids survive and go through.

And totally agree with the coloring, and that everything that Wes Craig is doing with the book is fucking great.

But really, I think the focus on the relationship between the characters is so much better than anything school-related, and I'd be super okay with them never showing a single class. The school idea was a really crazy and convenient way to get this group of kids together, but the meat of the story is kind of watching these kids act like dumb, arrogant, fallible,heartbroken, highschool kids, but in extreme circumstances.

Like, the whole road-trip bit is just fucking perfect. Bunch of highschoolers ditch class to do a bunch of drugs in vegas. The build up of the shitstorm is fucking exhilarating, but you've also got the building of relationships and bonds, even if they're tenuous, through what these kids survive and go through.

And totally agree with the coloring, and that everything that Wes Craig is doing with the book is fucking great.

No doubt. Then you read Remender's editorial at the end of the trade about his childhood in high school and you can see just how much he pulled from his life to write this book. Like Marcus is just a really twisted version of a kid trying to impress the cool kids....in this case by bludgeoning people to death.

But I'm really fascinated by the logistics of a school full of potential psychopaths so I'm hoping we get to see some of the school-life a little more in other issues (waiting on the next trade coming up in a couple weeks)

Filthy Slug

I still dont understand why people would pay 100 for a print.

itisamystery.jpg

Haha, I've paid way more, man. It's art--there's not really a good objective value, especially on legitimate limited runs. There's a ton that goes into a great print, and it's pretty fascinating/awesome. I imagine a lot of people are just used to the comic-con style of print, like those cheap lithograph run-offs of Harley Quinn that everybody has at their booths for 20 bones, but those ain't the same.

For the record--I think that blue variant is a huge ripoff, even with such a small run.

No doubt. Then you read Remender's editorial at the end of the trade about his childhood in high school and you can see just how much he pulled from his life to write this book. Like Marcus is just a really twisted version of a kid trying to impress the cool kids....in this case by bludgeoning people to death.

But I'm really fascinated by the logistics of a school full of potential psychopaths so I'm hoping we get to see some of the school-life a little more in other issues (waiting on the next trade coming up in a couple weeks)
Yeah, I feel like I didn't know much about Rick Remender prior to reading the letters in Deadly Class, and I totally agree that he's pouring a ton of himself into the book, which makes me enjoy it even more.

buncha truth
Not much to say but that I agree with you completely.
I fucking love today's artist, the only thing I appreciate more then a good artist is a consistent one who can keep a schedule. I still put a lot of loyalty in writers but I also respect writers who stay loyal to artists.

Creative teams that have a strong releationship are the best. Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky probably have the most fun together in the entire industry and put out a successful book. Chip's career suddenly jumping to writing multiple books isn't a coincidence.

Too bad, there are only a handful of such strong creative teams.
Honestly, if very few artists can keep a consistent monthly schedule, doesnt that point more to a systemic problem than an issue with artists? As consumers we demand a lot from our artists. The bar keeps getting raised. As an artist, you could put in 60+ hours a week drawing to meet expectations. We ask this of artists while we expect them to be plenty available. Artists who interact with fans by social media and cons find its very beneficial. Something has got to give.

I love to see writer/artist teams that *click*. I think Gillen/McKelvie is my favorite group. Well maybe Bru/Phillips.

Haha, I've paid way more, man. It's art--there's not really a good objective value, especially on legitimate limited runs. There's a ton that goes into a great print, and it's pretty fascinating/awesome. I imagine a lot of people are just used to the comic-con style of print, like those cheap lithograph run-offs of Harley Quinn that everybody has at their booths for 20 bones, but those ain't the same.

For the record--I think that blue variant is a huge ripoff, even with such a small run.
I mean, I guess I can understand it if its a really nice print, but then again you're only paying for a reproduction. But hey, if Cloonan can make some bank more power to her. I just dont see the logic in it as a consumer.

yea, especially when you can usually get a sketch/commission done for around that price sometimes
Exactly (speaking as a consumer). I wish people bought my prints for a 100. I sell mine at like 1/10th that price and I don't think I've ever charged more than 100 for a comission actually. Becky Cloonan sells her prints for higher than I sell original art. ayyy lmao

Filthy Slug

Seems like a cash-grab. The original was much better from an aesthetics perspective.

Yeah, yo--the sherbert coloring was perfect. Hopefully the printing is solid on it, too.
I mean, I guess I can understand it if its a really nice print, but then again you're only paying for a reproduction. But hey, if Cloonan can make some bank more power to her. I just dont see the logic in it as a consumer.

Exactly (speaking as a consumer). I wish people bought my prints for a 100. I sell mine at like 1/10th that price and I don't think I've ever charged more than 100 for a comission actually. Becky Cloonan sells her prints for higher than I sell original art. ayyy lmao
Well, it generally ain't an original if you're buying a standard print (like, there are hand-embellished and special variants that are originals) but it's still part of a specific run, which adds to the price, value, interest, collectability, etc. Also, tons of famous artists have prints--Banksy, to use an extreme example--so it's definitely a known and respected artistic route. Also, I don't really see the sketch vs. print argument, because they're two totally different art entities. Sketches are dope, but you can't always get a reasonably priced personal sketch from your favorite artist, so maybe they'll drop a limited print run that's more affordable and just as awesome. Or, maybe you just want a fully colored and thought-out print that you can frame up and hang in your crib, without worrying about what the finished sketch will look like. Also, there's a whole big world of prints out there unrelated to comics, which you should totally check out if you're ever interested--could be super useful for you're own stuff, maybe.

The logic is in getting pretty art without logos plastered all over it like Marvel does with their posters.

Honestly, if very few artists can keep a consistent monthly schedule, doesnt that point more to a systemic problem than an issue with artists? As consumers we demand a lot from our artists. The bar keeps getting raised. As an artist, you could put in 60+ hours a week drawing to meet expectations. We ask this of artists while we expect them to be plenty available. Artists who interact with fans by social media and cons find its very beneficial. Something has got to give.

I love to see writer/artist teams that *click*. I think Gillen/McKelvie is my favorite group. Well maybe Bru/Phillips.

Artist aren't credited or (probably) payed enough for all their work. T-T

and yeah those who keep up on social media and take the time to speak with their fans, I don't know how they can contain so much awesome.

Yeah, yo--the sherbert coloring was perfect. Hopefully the printing is solid on it, too.

Well, it generally ain't an original if you're buying a standard print (like, there are hand-embellished and special variants that are originals) but it's still part of a specific run, which adds to the price, value, interest, collectability, etc. Also, tons of famous artists have prints--Banksy, to use an extreme example--so it's definitely a known and respected artistic route. Also, I don't really see the sketch vs. print argument, because they're two totally different art entities. Sketches are dope, but you can't always get a reasonably priced personal sketch from your favorite artist, so maybe they'll drop a limited print run that's more affordable and just as awesome. Or, maybe you just want a fully colored and thought-out print that you can frame up and hang in your crib, without worrying about what the finished sketch will look like. Also, there's a whole big world of prints out there unrelated to comics, which you should totally check out if you're ever interested--could be super useful for you're own stuff, maybe.
I only bring up the argument for comics art, and even then it's more my personal preference. I was p much just talking about comics prints really, would not pay much for even if I had the money. Other prints though, maybe. I like a lot of the stuff I see in that other community thread, for example

I thought ShinJohnpv was my alt.

And I don't think it's unfair to want to see more of the premise they built up in the first issue. You're all excited to see what sort of awewome Naruto Ninja School bullshit you're gonna get and then it's like nah that shit'd be boring. Let's watch girls do lines of coke instead.

fertygo

Nameless are amazing, Morrison clearly enjoy the total freedom that he get in original title.. and Burnham killing it too.

When we gonna find out who Thor really is and how Thor become unworthy?

Judging from what's been happening in the new book, I'm guessing the secret which made Thor unworthy is something along the lines of:
Mjolnir became sentient at some point and so original Thor was essentially keeping it as his slave

Yeah, I feel like I didn't know much about Rick Remender prior to reading the letters in Deadly Class, and I totally agree that he's pouring a ton of himself into the book, which makes me enjoy it even more.

Y'all need to read Fear Agent. It may not parallel his experiences but thematically Remender has mentioned how the general tone of the book was greatly influenced by what he was going through his life at the time.

This poll just shows to me how incredible Matt Fraction's run at Image is. Crazy. I won't be surprised if he goes exclusive with Image like Ed Brubaker and Mark Millar did after their Marvel contracts were up.

I feel like anything post-Hawkguy would have been announced by now. I think he's basically Image only now.

I feel like anything post-Hawkguy would have been announced by now. I think he's basically Image only now.
Yeah I think he's done with Marvel for now at least. He's got what, three Image books right now? That's more than enough for him.

Wish we could get a Spider-Man run from him in the vein of Hawkeye or Iron Fist, but as long as he's happy doing what he does I can't be upset. Sex Criminals and Casanova are awesome.

Cheebo

Banned

Seeing how he just got a nice TV deal for Sex Criminals I can see him focusing on writing material he can sell as more tv series/movies due to that overall first-look setup just he got with Universal as well anyway.

styl3s

This poll just shows to me how incredible Matt Fraction's run at Image is. Crazy. I won't be surprised if he goes exclusive with Image like Ed Brubaker and Mark Millar did after their Marvel contracts were up.
I am extremely depressed that Matt's run of Hawkeye is ending.

I really want to read some of his other work and i can't decide if i want to dive into Casanova, Sex Criminals or ODY-C. ODY-C is probably the least interesting series to me and i don't know what the fuck to make of Sex Criminals.

Top Bottom