• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Babs Tarr's Gotham Academy #6 cover. Wow. Love it.

GA01.jpg

That's a great cover.

Mafro

He did leave his mark on the Avengers. He made it more like the JLA Big Seven in that it's a team of Marvel's best-known heroes now. This was more to do with Mark Millar's "What the fuck is a Jack of Hearts?" rant at a writer's retreat, and Hickman has rowed back on this with his ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DO NOT TOUCH.
Woah, what's this about?

Woah, what's this about?

Bendis tells the story:

In 2004, Bendis was an established indy comic creator who had been making a name for himself at Marvel on titles like "Ultimate Spider-Man" and "Daredevil" when he was invited to one of the first Marvel publishing retreats of then Editor In Chief Joe Quesada. The purpose of the retreat was to analyze and examine the essential traits and conflicts of Marvel's various characters and see if those elements were currently part of a character's respective title.

"They were going through all of the books, and when we got to 'Avengers,' Mark Millar and I were doing a lot of talking. We were told to feel free to talk, but sometimes we were the only ones talking which can be embarrassing. Mark and I really got into a tizzy about Avengers," Bendis recalled. "It was just us bitching, saying things like, 'Why isn't it really Earth's Mightiest heroes? What the fuck is Jack of Hearts?' Then Mark, in his lilting Scottish brogue, said, 'You know, when I was a wee young lad in Scotland, I would only buy "Justice League" because I would get all of my DC heroes for just 10 cents. It was a bargain and featured some of their greatest characters.'

"I responded, 'Yeah, why isn't "Avengers" a book made up of the coolest guys? Why doesn't it have characters like Spider-Man and Wolverine?' Then a ruckus broke out in the room. People were screaming and yelling. It was really just madness," Bendis continued. "So it was me, Mr Schmucky, and Scottish Schmucky coming in and going, 'Your book sucks! This could be better.' That's not what we were doing, but there's no way that it didn't come off that way. Meanwhile, as soon as I said that Spider-Man should be an Avenger, people were pounding on the table going, 'SPIDER-MAN WOULD NEVER BE AN AVENGER!'"

Bendis' statement about Spider-Man and the Avengers did not go unnoticed. Joe Quesada and then-Executive Vice President of Marvel Bill Jemas were very pleased by the commotion.

"Chaos had erupted for a good 20 minutes, and I looked over to Joe and Jemas and I literally saw cartoon dollar signs in their eyes because they knew if something was causing this much chaos in the room, it was going to happen. This conversation would be happening all over the internet and in every comic book store in the country," Bendis said. "While this was going on, I had this vision of what the book could be, but I didn't want to do the book. I had my gigs and couldn't be happier with them. Plus, I was scared of the book."

Source

Dunbar

Confirmed
Batman #40
Justice League #40
Superman #40
Multiversity #2

Also to see up to date shipping releases just search "the title + previewsworld" and it should show up.
Whaaaaat? Delaying a bunch of big time books until smack in the middle of Convergence? That makes no sense at all. There's no way the final issue to Endgame suddenly required an extra month out of nowhere. Same with JL #40, prologue to Darkseid War.

Is that Babs Tarr GA #6 cover a variant? I don't see it available anywhere but I, obviously, must have it.

That's really interesting. I didn't get into comics until 2007/8, so I missed that time period, but it Bendis's avengers (notably his New Avengers) is what i think of when I think of avengers now.

Boogiepop

Well, I read more Hellblazer last night. Like 2/3 through vol. #5 now. I'm actually not 100% sure if
I'm not a fan of the hippie characters being around because I'm not too fond of them, or if it's mainly that they kind of act as a place for Constantine to belong, which kind of clashes with his whole drifter feel. Mercury is okay I guess, depending on how she's being used. And the issues are still solid of course. I'm actually partway through the thing with the "golden boy"/Magus, and it's really interesting so far, if of course pretty crazy and more than a little odd.

Also, now a bit over half way through Astro Boy. It's definitely more than a little old school in a ton of ways, and it's very hit or miss, but there's some interesting things in here. I'm actually curious how many little things it inspired in one way another over the years, because Tezuka actually does throw out a ton of little thoughts and ideas throughout. Like, there's one where transforming robots are a big thing, which is I guess is a generic enough idea, but I wonder if that was the inspiration for any of the various ones that popped up down the line?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yo, so I read some Alias last Saturday. I think I didn't care for it. I'll probably read more tomorrow.

That's my comics talk out of the way.

Oh my glob I forgot, HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIPP!

Please spare one comic as your birthday gift to us all. It doesn't even have to be good.

Haha. Thanks, Tetrax. Congrats on the job by the way!

Also, no, sorry, no comics will be spared. No exceptions.

Happy one day late birthday to Kipp, I was away a couple days on super important business
waking up video games netflix crying myself to sleep over how lame I am and repeating
but I hit him up on steam beforehand anyway.

Unforgiveable.

Boogiepop

Ah, late happy birthday Kipp! I was in a trance yesterday after like 5-6 hours of playing Monster Hunter with friends online. It was far too much of that, but it was at least fun.

Kipp

Ah, late happy birthday Kipp! I was in a trance yesterday after like 5-6 hours of playing Monster Hunter with friends online. It was far too much of that, but it was at least fun.

Thanks!

I've never played a Monster Hunter game. Seems pretty fun though.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh yeah, happy birthday Kipp! I still have to play Monster Hunter 4, yet another game on my list.

OMG, I totally forgot to read Grayson this week. And I bought it, too. It just got lost in the shuffle. Fixing now.

It was really good as usual, stuff went down
Minos seems to be dead, like he was a pawn of some sort
. Also, more hilarious jokes.

Got to chat a bit with Babs Tarr tonight. She's really nice. I convinced her to pick up understanding comics and asked me not to judge her for not having read it before haha

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
That title is not wrong. My wallet is empty :(
But my bookshelf is full.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
can you imagine what medusa's hair looks like when she wakes up o_O

Mafro

They've made a mess of trying to relaunch the Inhumans since the end of Infinity. Fraction killing off one of the most interesting Inhumans in that Inhumanity one shot then being pulled off the main series before it's even started for Soule. Inhuman has barely featured any of the classic characters, I think they made a big mistake focusing it almost solely on all these new ones.

I wonder how much different the series would be so far if Fraction was writing it as originally intended as his original vision for the title sounded very interesting.

Kipp

Kipp not even pretending he liking comic now, RIP

With my new schedule, it's so hard to find time for comics during the week. And then weekends don't usually turn out so well in regards to comics reading. It's lame :(

I only got Sunday this year. So far. working on inside sources but I'm bummed.

You're going on Sunday, too? Awesome.

Starman #0-#1: Damn, what a start. So quick to introduce all the main characters and set things up. Such gorgeous art (and colouring) too.

I am also loving that the omnibuses have the letters and notes from the single issues included. One of the first collections I own that collects such pages.

These images are from the first two issues. If you feel they are spoilers, let me know and I will change them to a link.

With my new schedule, it's so hard to find time for comics during the week. And then weekends don't usually turn out so well in regards to comics reading. It's lame :(

No time for comics when one needs to hustle for a Porsche.

Hellers

Comics wot I am enjoying

Gotham Academy keeps getting better and better. Really digging the art.
Bitch Planet. It's like something 2000ad would put out which means I likes it. I likes it a lot.

I'm going to pickup this comic you guys keep talking about. The one starring Dick Grayson's backside. I heard it's pretty good.

Is anyone else up to date with 2000ad? Are you getting a vibe that the story with the interdimensional wyrms is about to go Indigo Prime big style?

Top Bottom