• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

The AV Club review ripped The Sculptor to shreds too, mainly on the grounds of how completely cliche and dated it is. And man, here's the harshest burn from the review:

"Is there a word for when talented artists succeed in proving to the world in the most embarrassing and sincere way possible that they have absolutely nothing left to say?"

ahaha, i think that's the review they quoted in the beginning of the show, actually. Breh destroyed it

Just finish the Green Lantern omnibus. Really enjoyed the whole book and I'm excited for the next volume. I have grown to like all these characters.

End of July seems so far away.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
R6tL98x.jpg

Jesus wept

"imma make this totally rad backstory that'll completely ignore the idea that anyone capable of performing such an operation would be bound to ask *so... every time he wants to see something he'll have to point a gun at it? isnt it kinda... grotesquely stupid?* because fuckit, the 90's aint over. It'll be all tragical and shit cuz his boys died and stuff"

The AV Club review ripped The Sculptor to shreds too, mainly on the grounds of how completely cliche and dated it is. And man, here's the harshest burn from the review:

"Is there a word for when talented artists succeed in proving to the world in the most embarrassing and sincere way possible that they have absolutely nothing left to say?"

bu-bu-but the Neil Gaiman quote said...

:p

I actually have this ordered and should be getting it soon, going to lower my expectations now.

Hi Comic GAF,

I am completely new to comics and I'm on a long business trip and decided to pick some up. Right before I left I picked up the Humble Bundle that had all the Saga, Walking Dead, East of West ect. Though I haven't really read anything from it yet.

I also picked up the physical copies of all these.

tr59Qtzl.jpg

Letter 44 vol.1: Im digging the space story, but the topical political story ironically breaks my suspension of disbelief.
Rocket Girl vol.1: Haven't read yet. Loved what I saw of the art.
Nameless #1 (and #2 digitally): I think I need to re-read both issues as I have no idea what the fuck is going on.
The Wicked + The Devine vol.1 (and 6/7 digitally): Embarrassingly I bought into this series because there is a guy that looks like Guy-Manuel from Daft Punk. I haven't decided if I'll stick with this or not, I think I'll wait for another volume to release and go from there.
Edge of Spider-Verse #5 (and #2 digitally): I love mechs, and the cover reminded me of this Spider-Man action figure I had growing up. I loved everything about it (well, the cameos were weird) and I really hope they make a real series out of this like they did with Spider-Gwen! Peni is a fun sp//dr pilot.
Rumble #1: Haven't read it yet. Art looked cool.
Deep State #1: Haven't read it yet. I just like astronauts if you couldn't tell by now.
Ocy-C #1: Haven't read it yet. I needed to get over the minimum for a credit card purchase and I liked the art inside though the story looks kind of nuts.
Roche Limit #1-5: Haven't read them yet, but you know, astronauts.
Descender #1 (digitally): Wow, wow, wow. The setting alone had me mesmerized from beginning to end. I cannot wait to see where the story goes.
Spider-Gwen #1: I was a little confused because I didnlt realize this was building off of Edge of Spider-Verse #2 so I went back and read that first and haven't read this. If Edge of Spider-Verse #2 is any indication, I'm going to like this series.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really great hard sci-if story or space opera? I like long distance travel stories, or time dialation or really anything with space travel. Tomorrow I'm going to the San Jose Toys & Comic Book show and would like to pick some stuff up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really great hard sci-if story or space opera? I like long distance travel stories, or time dialation or really anything with space travel. Tomorrow I'm going to the San Jose Toys & Comic Book show and would like to pick some stuff up.

Ministry of Space by Warren Ellis. Also Orbiter by the same guy.

Manhattan Projects also qualifies as... hard-ish... sci-fi.

Is all i got, hard sci-fi is weirdly rare to come by in comics.

Also if someone suggests Terra Formars, they trollin'

Hi Comic GAF,

I am completely new to comics and I'm on a long business trip and decided to pick some up. Right before I left I picked up the Humble Bundle that had all the Saga, Walking Dead, East of West ect. Though I haven't really read anything from it yet.

I also picked up the physical copies of all these.

tr59Qtzl.jpg

Letter 44 vol.1: Im digging the space story, but the topical political story ironically breaks my suspension of disbelief.
Rocket Girl vol.1: Haven't read yet. Loved what I saw of the art.
Nameless #1 (and #2 digitally): I think I need to re-read both issues as I have no idea what the fuck is going on.
The Wicked + The Devine vol.1 (and 6/7 digitally): Embarrassingly I bought into this series because there is a guy that looks like Guy-Manuel from Daft Punk. I haven't decided if I'll stick with this or not, I think I'll wait for another volume to release and go from there.
Edge of Spider-Verse #5 (and #2 digitally): I love mechs, and the cover reminded me of this Spider-Man action figure I had growing up. I loved everything about it (well, the cameos were weird) and I really hope they make a real series out of this like they did with Spider-Gwen! Peni is a fun sp//dr pilot.
Rumble #1: Haven't read it yet. Art looked cool.
Deep State #1: Haven't read it yet. I just like astronauts if you couldn't tell by now.
Ocy-C #1: Haven't read it yet. I needed to get over the minimum for a credit card purchase and I liked the art inside though the story looks kind of nuts.
Roche Limit #1-5: Haven't read them yet, but you know, astronauts.
Descender #1 (digitally): Wow, wow, wow. The setting alone had me mesmerized from beginning to end. I cannot wait to see where the story goes.
Spider-Gwen #1: I was a little confused because I didnlt realize this was building off of Edge of Spider-Verse #2 so I went back and read that first and haven't read this. If Edge of Spider-Verse #2 is any indication, I'm going to like this series.

Black Sciene and Fear Agent by comics superstar Rick Remender.

If you don't mind a book that can feel a little abstract at times, Prophet might be a good choice. You might also want to try Trillium.

Holy shit, how did I forget to mention those? XD

Yeah, Fear Agent definitely.

Look into Trillium and LOW for sure, tho i haven't read them past the first issue of LOW. I like Drifter a lot, which isn't hard sci-fi per se but it's a solid space noir western thing

oh boy time for list!

Casanova Acedia #2
Shutter #10
Walking Dead #138
All-New X-Men #37
Howard the Duck #1
Ms. Marvel #13
New Avengers #31
Silver Surfer #10
Spider-Gwen #2
Thor #6

Ministry of Space by Warren Ellis. Also Orbiter by the same guy.

Manhattan Projects also qualifies as... hard-ish... sci-fi.

Is all i got, hard sci-fi is weirdly rare to come by in comics.

Also if someone suggests Terra Formars, they trollin'

If you don't mind a book that can feel a little abstract at times, Prophet might be a good choice. You might also want to try Trillium.

Holy shit, how did I forget to mention those? XD

Yeah, Fear Agent definitely.

Look into Trillium and LOW for sure, tho i haven't read them past the first issue of LOW. I like Drifter a lot, which isn't hard sci-fi per se but it's a solid space noir western thing
Wow, these all look great and I've added them to my wish list. Thanks for the suggestions!

I need a crash course in some DC history. I'm on the Sinestro War and I'm near the end and im on the chapter with Superboy and him growing up on Earth Prime and then the Anti-Monitor destroying it. Is this part of his past from another event I could read about. Earth Prime was an Earth that contained no Superheros?

As Freeza said: Crisis on Infinite Earths. Superboy Prime is from Earth Prime which you've noted had no super heroes. Moreover it's typically used to represent our Earth. Everything that happens on the other Earths shows up in Earth Primes comics.

Superboy Prime was found by a family named the Kents who decided it'd be cute to name him Clark, like Superman from the comics. Lo and behold he is in fact Superman. Fast forward, his Earth is destroyed by the Anti Monitor, he and several others escape to a pocket dimension where he slowly goes crazy. He wants to recreate his world, sees all other worlds as flawed, etc.

You might also check out Legion of Three Worlds if you want another Superboy Prime story.

Raife

There was a series called the The Red Wing by Jonathan Hickman that I enjoyed. It mixed dogfighting with time travel. Had the same hard sci fi-ish feel that a lot of other Hickman works have.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

The Marvel Space Stuff by Abnett & Lanning is great stuff.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man.... this thread is going to be crazy in may. Im not gonna be reading the stuff live but its still exciting. Even if its shit in the end :p

Also JC needs to stop getting banned.

Tizoc

@Quote- I had forgotten some stuff from Nameless 1 by the time I started readin Nameless #2, but as I kept reading it, I recall what he series was about and of the past events heh. Morrison books take a while for one to get a hang of his writing style and pacing, but once you've figured it out it is smooth sailing from there.

Cade

JC = Jesus Christ = Preacher.
It took me until JUUUUUST now to realize Jesse Custer's initials are JC.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hi Comic GAF,

Ody-C is your sci-fi space opera revolving around long distance travel. It's the gender-swapped story of The Odyssey set in space, and holy shit is it excellent 3 issues in. Fraction adapts a verse style for his writing which takes a few pages to get into/grasp, but like The Iliad and The Odyssey, once you get it, the words just flow. And Christian Ward's art matches the story beautifully--psychadellic and brutal, and just on-point.

Also, I love Jeff Lemire but I could not get through Trillium and it's the first Lemire story I had to drop. Check it out though, as it may be something you're into.

You should give The Incal a shot. If you like that, there are a lot of other books in the same universe (which I am slowly making my way through).

Top Bottom