• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Boogiepop

So, I read Death of Superman for the first time last night. The trade covered from where Doomsday first appears to the titular death. It was decent enough that I think I'll keep it (got it for free from a friend), though it didn't blow me away really. I do like the way Doomsday builds up at least, especially with the outfit slowly wearing away over the issues, revealing more and more of the creature underneath. Just out of curiosity, was the aftermath till the proper resurrection sprawling enough that it makes sense for the trade to not include it? I did see the movie adaptation a while back, is it accurate to the story where it ends up with something with
Luthor of course being behind Doomsday, and then he has a Superman clone running around until the real Superman revives because it was not death but "super hibernation" or whatever to recover?

Also, there's some other random stuff in there that caught me off guard a little, but the big WTF: what's the deal with the red headed Luthor's "son" (who still seems to be scheming in such a way that... is that just actually Lex pretending to be his own son or something?) who's dating Supergirl, but then Supergirl got hit by a punch from Doomsday and like kind of melted into a mummy or some other such weird thing with absolutely no explanation? Can anyone explain exactly what was going on there?

Edit: Oh, and I'm just before what I usually hear called the quintessential Astro Boy story, The World's Greatest Robot (or however it's usually translated). It's like 200 pages or something though and I've already read a lot today so I'll probably get to it tomorrow.

There was a series called the The Red Wing by Jonathan Hickman that I enjoyed. It mixed dogfighting with time travel. Had the same hard sci fi-ish feel that a lot of other Hickman works have.

I remember that. More empty space on those pages than Moon Knight. XD

It made for a pretty neat aesthetic, though.

Also, there's some other random stuff in there that caught me off guard a little, but the big WTF: what's the deal with the red headed Luthor's "son" (who still seems to be scheming in such a way that... is that just actually Lex pretending to be his own son or something?) who's dating Supergirl, but then Supergirl got hit by a punch from Doomsday and like kind of melted into a mummy or some other such weird thing with absolutely no explanation? Can anyone explain exactly what was going on there?

That was Matrix Supergirl and Lex Luthor pretending to be his own son. Matrix Supergirl was basically a shape shifting alien.

Messi

Read the first 2 issues of Rachel Rising. Its Terry Moore good. Lines on paper. Nice text. Will read more.

7/10

Cheska

Does anyone have any recommendations for a really great hard sci-if story or space opera? I like long distance travel stories, or time dialation or really anything with space travel. Tomorrow I'm going to the San Jose Toys & Comic Book show and would like to pick some stuff up.

Let me know what you think of this show! I considered going, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of vitange toys.

Reading the Roger Stern Spiderman Omnibus today and I have read the first 5 issues. Pretty cool so far. That trademark Spidey mouth is used a lot in which I appreciate. Comic books then were not made for trades so it's nice to get one and dones or 2 issue arcs.

Some pics from Becky Cloonan's tumblr of Maps as Robin.

tumblr_ngs6zaujI41s5gizzo1_500.png
tumblr_ngqo6wjD9a1s5gizzo1_500.png

So, I read Death of Superman for the first time last night. The trade covered from where Doomsday first appears to the titular death. It was decent enough that I think I'll keep it (got it for free from a friend), though it didn't blow me away really. I do like the way Doomsday builds up at least, especially with the outfit slowly wearing away over the issues, revealing more and more of the creature underneath. Just out of curiosity, was the aftermath till the proper resurrection sprawling enough that it makes sense for the trade to not include it? I did see the movie adaptation a while back, is it accurate to the story where it ends up with something with
Luthor of course being behind Doomsday, and then he has a Superman clone running around until the real Superman revives because it was not death but "super hibernation" or whatever to recover?

So what you have up there, isn't the way the Return of Superman happens. The movie adaption changed everything to be its own story. Luthor isn't behind Doomsday, and while there is a clone of Superman its not done in that way. In the original comics, at the time, you had 4 Superman titles being publisher, 1 for each week of the month. After the death of Superman each title for a year took on a character that was meant to be like the returned Superman. One was the Cyborg Superman, One was the clone but a Teenager called Superboy, One was Steel, and One was another character I won't give away who.

So basically the Return of Superman storyline is about 48 - 52 issues, and it leads into the fall of another big time hero.

IMHO The Death and Return of Superman is one of the best storylines to come out of the 90s.

*edit* just to fill in some more the reason the son of luthor is luthor, is his original body was dying from Kryptonite poisoning from the ring he always wore. So he had his scientists clone a body and put his brain in it. Then he tried to pull the I'm Luthor's son I'm not as bad and evil as he was blah blah maneuver.

Boogiepop

So what you have up there, isn't the way the Return of Superman happens. The movie adaption changed everything to be its own story. Luthor isn't behind Doomsday, and while there is a clone of Superman its not done in that way. In the original comics, at the time, you had 4 Superman titles being publisher, 1 for each week of the month. After the death of Superman each title for a year took on a character that was meant to be like the returned Superman. One was the Cyborg Superman, One was the clone but a Teenager called Superboy, One was Steel, and One was another character I won't give away who.

So basically the Return of Superman storyline is about 48 - 52 issues, and it leads into the fall of another big time hero.

IMHO The Death and Return of Superman is one of the best storylines to come out of the 90s.
Neat, and thanks. You actually got me kind of curious now. I wouldn't say Death of Superman blew me away or anything, but it definitely packed a nice enough punch to it and sure holds up better than, say, Age of Apocalypse when it comes to stuff I've read from the 90s. Would the Return of Superman trade out there cover it, or is there a better/more complete collection? Looks like it's pretty cheap for a bulky page count so I may actually tag that onto my next IST order or something.

Neat, and thanks. You actually got me kind of curious now. I wouldn't say Death of Superman blew me away or anything, but it definitely packed a nice enough punch to it and sure holds up better than, say, Age of Apocalypse when it comes to stuff I've read from the 90s. Would the Return of Superman trade out there cover it, or is there a better/more complete collection? Looks like it's pretty cheap for a bulky page count so I may actually tag that onto my next IST order or something.

I have the trade from right after it happened, and it covers everything. I believe there's now a hardcover version of it out there, and even a Death and Return of Superman Omnibus, which also includes Funeral For a Friend.

The 3 story arcs are Death of Superman, which you read. Funeral for a Friend, which covers Superman's funeral, and hints at the new Supermen, and then Return of Superman.

Funeral for a Friend is short like maybe 6 issues but some interesting stuff in there.

I think the Omnibus includes all 3 arcs.

Remember that part of the "wow" factor of the Death of Superman was that it's one of the first times a really big name character died so it's a little less special now because that become such a common thing.

If you haven't seen it yet, though, you should watch Max Landis' "The Death and Return of Superman" video short. It's great.

tim1138

After reading Planetary again for the umpteenth time a month or so ago, I've been on a Warren Ellis kick. I'm currently reading through TransMet again, and realized I've never read Global Frequency. Can anyone pitch me on it? I'm sure it's great, but honestly dunno what it's about.

After reading Planetary again for the umpteenth time a month or so ago, I've been on a Warren Ellis quick. I'm currently reading through TransMet again, and realized I've never read Global Frequency. Can anyone pitch me on it? I'm sure it's great, but honestly dunno what it's about.

It is quite good fun. 12 issue mini procedural, about a "volunteer" organization called Global Frequency. Run by two people, controlling a thousand other "reservist" agents, normal everyday people who are recruited for their professional/special skills but don't know about the other 999. A bit inconsistent across the 12 issues but some great stories in there.

Messi

Hello friends, I have no idea how often the Walking Dead hardcovers are released and as that is how I read the series I am curious as to how close to current do they get. I am assuming not very close.

Hello friends, I have no idea how often the Walking Dead hardcovers are released and as that is how I read the series I am curious as to how close to current do they get. I am assuming not very close.

Hardcover 11 came out a few weeks ago, ending at issue #132, and issue #138 releases this week. At this point, you might as well just jump into the monthly issues so you can talk about it with me and not-banned-Zombine.

Wow, I read in this Roger Stern Omnibus that Amazing Spiderman 206 was at first over looked by editorial. They had Amazing and Spectacular going on around that time and they brought in Denny O'Neil to be the group editor of those books.

Roger Stern and him were plotting one day and realized that the stories and timing overlooked a Amazing Spiderman 206. They managed to plot a one and done, hire an artist, give him the plot over the phone and he penciled the pages in 4 days. The pages were sent to Roger Stern were he scripted them. Then they hired an inker, sent the pages to him and then he sent the inks to a hired colorist who finished the job. The whole issue was completed and to press in 2 weeks.

Edit. It was pretty good to.

Messi

Hardcover 11 came out a few weeks ago, ending at issue #132, and issue #138 releases this week. At this point, you might as well just jump into the monthly issues so you can talk about it with me and not-banned-Zombine.

I am only on book 4 but I am catching up. I just bought 4-5. Zombine got me all hot and bothered about how awesome it is.

I am only on book 4 but I am catching up. I just bought 4-5. Zombine got me all hot and bothered about how awesome it is.

I can never buy series piecemeal like that. I just don't have the restraint to do it. If I get into a book that has ten released trades, I buy all of them at once.

Messi

I can never buy series piecemeal like that. I just don't have the restraint to do it. If I get into a book that has ten released trades, I buy all of them at once.

I just can't I don't have the luxury of IST here. Each hardcover is 30-35 euro so... 38$. Wow the euro is doing really badly right now.

You know how insane it is somebody you personally know from school ends up, one day, making a splash in any entertainment medium?

I have faith Jeff Loveness can pull it off.

I went to school with Felipe Smith.

I'm fairly certain All-New Ghost Rider doesn't count as a "splash." :(

ghostmind

On a sad note, the Cayman Islands police have ended their search for Norman Lee. His wife has given her final statement to the police and has departed from the island.

RIP

Owzers

Finished The Order and i can no get back to reading comics sometimes.

Game wants to be cinematic, has a crappy story, and is full of QTEs. Random 3/10. The guns make nice noises, that's a thing, but i'm not sure how the developers thought fighting werewolves should be the least interesting battles.

That moment when you're reading Avengers Arena and Cammi goes ahead and gives Axe Bro the *exact same nickname* you were using to refer to him.

For a Battle Royale rip-off, this could be a whole lot worse.

Top Bottom