• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Raife

They keep announcing Secret Wars minis that I am interested in. My backlog is going to be crazy during that event.

Zombine

Banned
glitterfy5163032253B81.gif

I'm reading through New X-Men right now, and somebody please tell me that Igor Kordey was ejected into space after his abominable fecal-like art ruined these excellent issues of Morrison's X-Men.

Igor Kordey was such an odd choice as a fill in artist. He really is a good artist but a bad fit and had to draw some issues in about 2 weeks because Quitely and Van Sciver couldn't hit deadlines during that run. The guy can draw really well given time but he really got the short end of the stick during his marvel days IMO

I do respect him as an artist but his work on New X-Men isn't good. The coloring doesnt fit his style either. If I am ever rich and dont need to work, I will seriously consider redrawing New X-Men. At least parts of it.

EDIT: Digging around it turns out he was doing like a couple of other books at the same time and did the fill in issues in a matter of days to hit deadlines. What a fucking champ BigBossSalute.jpg

tim1138

Igor Kordey was such an odd choice as a fill in artist. He really is a good artist but a bad fit and had to draw some issues in about 2 weeks because Quitely and Van Sciver couldn't hit deadlines during that run. The guy can draw really well given time but he really got the short end of the stick during his marvel days IMO

I do respect him as an artist but his work on New X-Men isn't good. The coloring doesnt fit his style either. If I am ever rich and dont need to work, I will seriously consider redrawing New X-Men. At least parts of it.

EDIT: Digging around it turns out he was doing like a couple of other books at the same time and did the fill in issues in a matter of days to hit deadlines. What a fucking champ BigBossSalute.jpg

Yo, can I Kickstart the bolded? I'm assuming the parts you'd redraw are the non Quitely parts.

tim1138

No one tell Filthy Slug that Kordey did work on an issue of Scalped and did the covers for the first six issues of Dysart's Unknown Soldier.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

It's great that dude ostensibly stepped up to fill-in under such short notice, but I'm reading these issues and they're just trash for my eyes. Like, I'm not even relying on the image to match the text anymore because of how mushy and vague and awful the scenes are drawn. His name is second to Quitely's in the omnibus, so I assume i'm in for a rough time and his name is going to be popping up frequently.

No one tell Filthy Slug that Kordey did work on an issue of Scalped and did the covers for the first six issues of Dysart's Unknown Soldier.
Haha, but yo, a while ago, I made a post about how I recall some of the in-between arc Scalped stories had brutal (in the bad way) art, so I was probably thinking of my man Kordey.

But really, I'm sure he's better than the dogshit he put out for New X-Men, but it's fucking bumming me out having to slog through his shit.

Yo, can I Kickstart the bolded? I'm assuming the parts you'd redraw are the non Quitely parts.

Haha well, I think if I ever did it, I'd mostly want to just do the Kordey ones from vol 2 and 3. Quitely and EVS put in some work that is not their best but still good to great. The book got on track later on with a larger array of artists like John Paul Leon, Bachalo, and Silvestri. I don't think any one of those guys were as stretched as Kordey.

I honestly have a lot of respect for Kordey and those issues are structually sound on a story telling level. I would treat his work as sketches for me to draw over mostly. I've actually wanted to do it for years but cant really think of a way that doesnt end with Marvel telling me to not do it.

It's great that dude ostensibly stepped up to fill-in under such short notice, but I'm reading these issues and they're just trash for my eyes. Like, I'm not even relying on the image to match the text anymore because of how mushy and vague and awful the scenes are drawn. His name is second to Quitely's in the omnibus, so I assume i'm in for a rough time and his name is going to be popping up frequently.

Haha, but yo, a while ago, I made a post about how I recall some of the in-between arc Scalped stories had brutal (in the bad way) art, so I was probably thinking of my man Kordey.

But really, I'm sure he's better than the dogshit he put out for New X-Men, but it's fucking bumming me out having to slog through his shit.
He's heavily featured for two story arcs (I think) but after that they kick him off.

frye

yeah I dunno, it's a thankless job pinch hitting for Quitely and EVS and literally knocking issues out in a week, so I don't blame him too much. His work on Soldier X is much better

tim1138

I'm just messing with you man. Is this your first time reading NXM? I can't remember if I've ever seen you talk about it before.

Haha well, I think if I ever did it, I'd mostly want to just do the Kordey ones from vol 2 and 3. Quitely and EVS put in some work that is not their best but still good to great. The book got on track later on with a larger array of artists like John Paul Leon, Bachalo, and Silvestri. I don't think any one of those guys were as stretched as Kordey.

I honestly have a lot of respect for Kordey and those issues are structually sound on a story telling level. I would treat his work as sketches for me to draw over mostly. I've actually wanted to do it for years but cant really think of a way that doesnt end with Marvel telling me to not do it.

He's heavily featured for two story arcs (I think) but after that they kick him off.

Honestly I've got nothing against Kordey, it's impressive as hell that his fill in issues looked as good as they did considering the time constraints he faced. NXM is one of the few times I've liked Bachalo, typically that dude just does nothing for me.

Zombine

Banned
Are you down on the iZombie tv show? I thought it was your thing. Or is it the cross promotion you dislike?

The deluxe edition thing just has one of those candy samplers of various books releasing over the next year or so. I don't think that's worth it unless you haven't read the book yet. Also, shitty banner at the top :(

I'm so ready for the show though. Even though it has next to nothing to do with the book, I think it's going to fill that Veronica Mars gap that I had in my heart. My girlfriend thinks that I have a crush on the girl who plays fake-Gwen though...

Also, Hi to everyone who missed me!

Yay, Zombine's back.

Just finished the first season of Justice League. It ain't great yet, but it's growing on me.

Wait till Justice League United. That show kicks ass.

Messi

The deluxe edition thing just has one of those candy samplers of various books releasing over the next year or so. I don't think that's worth it unless you haven't read the book yet. Also, shitty banner at the top :(

I'm so ready for the show though. Even though it has next to nothing to do with the book, I think it's going to fill that Veronica Mars gap that I had in my heart. My girlfriend thinks that I have a crush on the girl who plays fake-Gwen though...

Also, Hi to everyone who missed me!

You totally do.

I would love a hardcover version of the trades. Feels like a missed opportunity. But hopefully the show is good and successful and maybe we can get that hardcover.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
yeah I dunno, it's a thankless job pinch hitting for Quitely and EVS and literally knocking issues out in a week, so I don't blame him too much. His work on Soldier X is much better
Yeah, the circumstances make me more sympathetic to the dude's shitty situation, but the juxtaposition of his Germ-Free Generation issues to the Quitely mostly silent Psychic Rescue issue is just jarring as all Hell.

I'm just messing with you man. Is this your first time reading NXM? I can't remember if I've ever seen you talk about it before.

It's my first time going through it, start to finish, and having all my attention focused on it. Emma is a fucking breakout character so far. Like everybody is written in smart and likeable ways, but Emma's just pure fun to read.

Also, I kind of loved that weird Lenil Yu horizontal (landscape?) issue with Wolverine and Domino flirting in between performing a heist and killing dandruff goons.

styl3s

That's super fucked up in the release week. Not even my shop does that.
They get away with it because their store isn't the size of a mall gamestop like the other 2 shops. They are kind of like our midtown comics in terms of scale, i mean i walk in and find a bunch of good stuff in their 25 cent, 50 cent and 75 cent bins but those small stores? $1 bins are the cheapest. The back issue section in the big store alone is as big as both the small stores combined. If you are looking for anything that was made pre like 2005 you are better off going to the bigger store.

tim1138

Yeah, the circumstances make me more sympathetic to the dude's shitty situation, but the juxtaposition of his Germ-Free Generation issues to the Quitely mostly silent Psychic Rescue issue is just jarring as all Hell.

It's my first time going through it, start to finish, and having all my attention focused on it. Emma is a fucking breakout character so far. Like everybody is written in smart and likeable ways, but Emma's just pure fun to read.

Also, I kind of loved that weird Lenil Yu horizontal (landscape?) issue with Wolverine and Domino flirting in between performing a heist and killing dandruff goons.

Right on, I did a reread of it myself over the holidays. That run was really when I started to appreciate Emma and start to like Cyke a bit. Morrison really conveyed the pressure Cyke was living with as Xavier's perfect little student-soldier.

After finally upgrading to the Planetary omnibus a month or so back and falling in love with it all over again, I've been on a huge Warren Ellis kick. I'm on volume six of Transmetropolitan (I forgot how much I loved Spider), and then have Global Frequency on order from the library, and will wrap it up with Stormwatch and the Authority.

fauxtrot

Banned
Getting to see both the pencils and inks really shows how great of a job Gaudiano is doing on the title... I'm glad he was able to take some of the workload off of Adlard (who is a drawing machine) without it affecting the look of the book.

fauxtrot

Banned
$1K. I'm thinking about it.

Jesus, man... how many jobs do you have to be able to lose one and still contemplate dropping $1k on a not very detailed page? I mean, it's pretty but you basically got the same thing in one of the panels of the page you just bought!

edit - Am I the only one that totally sees the Negan smirk on Carl's face in the page Zombine bought? I wonder if that was intentional... I'm a few issues behind right now so I'm not sure what's going on in that page exactly.

Jesus, man... how many jobs do you have to be able to lose one and still contemplate dropping $1k on a not very detailed page? I mean, it's pretty but you basically got the same thing in one of the panels of the page you just bought!

It's not the page, it's the price-tag. As pages go, it's beautiful. Those eyes, man. Those eyes.

that page is beautiful. But I seriously don't want to know what the story is. Can we be careful about this? please :(

All I'll say is that her name is Lydia, and Zombine and I are currently enamored with her.

Zombine

Banned
....That....That doesn't even make sense....

It made national news and everything :/

Format change, and I haven't been asked back to work. It blows. There was also another round of layoffs today.

All I'll say is that her name is Lydia, and Zombine and I are currently enamored with her.

Best new addition to the book thus far. Sophia ain't shit.

KING CARL. Get on board or get run down.

fauxtrot

Banned
Speaking of the Walking Dead, I just checked out all of the covers for the future issues coming out... #139 and #141 have me HYPED!

Why hasn't Mike Marts scooped up Noccenti yet? I'll never understand how they thought her launching another book would not end as a miserable failure. Klarion deserves to comeback in June. Fuck. Trevor McCarthy drew his heart out. You could put her on the main bat book with Capullo, afCO Placenta on colors, with chromium covers at no extra charge and that shot would sell less than 10K. And then we have Lee Bermjeo on We Is The Robins? Go fuckypyrself. DC already launched two #hashtag books and they were trash. This book should be replaced with Bluebird and Spoiler, grim and dark DC fair meets girly hijinks. Where was there #hashtage book for Snowden? For MH730? For #Benghazi? For The a Fappening? For the Sony leaks?

Messi

It's not the page, it's the price-tag. As pages go, it's beautiful. Those eyes, man. Those eyes.

I love the art, will I love her too?

Where I am right now I love Sophia and her relationship/not relationship with Carl. But they are just kids.

I am reading book 4 lol

I love the art, will I love her too?

Where I am right now I love Sophia and her relationship/not relationship with Carl. But they are just kids.

Some of Lydia's.... tendencies are a bit darker than Sophia's. But Lydia is a really awesome character.

I should pick up Walking Dead Hardcover 10 and 11 this week. I have the first 9, but started slacking and haven't picked up the more recent ones yet. Also, when is Vol.2 of The Covers coming out? That was supposed to be out like, two years ago.

fauxtrot

Banned
Messi, you should do some Rhaknar-style posts to walk us through your reading of The Walking Dead... I'd love to be able to witness your reactions to the shit you're about to experience.

Zombine

Banned
Some of Lydia's.... tendencies are a bit darker than Sophia's. But Lydia is a really awesome character.

I should pick up Walking Dead Hardcover 10 and 11 this week. I have the first 9, but started slacking and haven't picked up the more recent ones yet. Also, when is Vol.2 of The Covers coming out? That was supposed to be out like, two years ago.

I actually stopped picking them up once I got caught up 3 years ago. I should really get on them just for collection purposes.

But holy shit Fauxtrot...#141. My prophesy is about to come true, isn't it?
RIP Rick & Crew.

That, or
Things get so bad that they decided that they need his help. I'm more inclined to think that its Lydia and Carl who let him go though.

fauxtrot

Banned
I actually stopped picking them up once I got caught up 3 years ago. I should really get on them just for collection purposes.

RIP Rick & Crew.

That, or
Things get so bad that they decided that they need his help. I'm more inclined to think that its Lydia and Carl who let him go though.

I really need to catch up... I think the last one I read was #136 (so I'm only 1 issues behind until Wednesday?).

Zombine,
are they doing some Romeo & Juliet shit with Carl and Lydia?
(Walking Dead Vol 23 spoilers)

I think I'll have to read it tonight. Plus then I can finish up Rachel Rising Vol 1.

RIP Rick & Crew.

I hope so, because
the book really needs some kind of reboot. Of course, don't kill off everyone... Just Rick, Michonne, etc. etc. If they made Carl become Negan's new protoge, and Lydia as Carl's waifu, amazing things could happen.

Top Bottom