• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

tim1138

This jumped out at me from the interview with Lee and Didio:

If you get yourself into a grind with event after event, sooner or later, you're going to be only artificially propping up the sales of your books, and your line itself. Only the event is what's driving people, not the individual characters, and you're being forced to add more and more things in just to attract attention

I hate the grind of continuous event driven storytelling, so to get a way from that is wonderful.

Lombaszko

New 52 Jumping Flash cross-over?

I wonder if it's
another take on an Azrael kind of story? If you look at the side bar in that article, the Batgirl 39 issue he seems to be targeting Barbara.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I like the new bunny-suit Batman.

Also, you'd know as much about what's going on with the new direction from not reading that interview as you woukd from reading it.

tim1138

Appleseed Batman looks pretty great.
Was it known that Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, Dark Universe, Mystik U, and JL United were not (re)launching until July?

Superman, Batman, and JL 40 all getting delayed til April 29th makes a bit of sense now, since all three of those are tied into the FCBD book.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Man, King City's about meeting up with old friends, obsessing over ex-girlfriends, chilling out with your cat, and coming back home after a long time away you spent growing up, the plot literally doesn't matter.
This is a great encapsulation of King City. It's just beautifully cartooned chill comix, coupled with clever writing and a lot of subtle life. There's a lot going on in the background, in the city, that could be easily missed if you're not hanging out on the page.

This jumped out at me from the interview with Lee and Didio:

I hate the grind of continuous event driven storytelling, so to get a way from that is wonderful.

So hyped for all of this.

Although it's kind of like announcing a Price Drop. My already mild curiosity in current DC stuff (I keep gravitating back to Futures End and Worlds End for some reason) has completely disappeared since none of it really matters at all. They clearly realize the state of DC right now is pointed in the wrong direction. It's really refreshing to hear them honestly acknowledge all the things that were wrong about the DCU and why.

Super psyched.

Owzers

Wild Children: I read this late at night thinking that was a perfectly good, reasonable idea. I of course was wrong. This is where Kot lost me:

" The existence of a lie is a lie. It's a meme we've fed ourselves because it helped us grow. Viruses are higher versions of proteins...Our generation's too old to have any use for lies. Do you understand what i'm saying?"

followed by:

" It's all there is, and you know it's real. It's...there's no color to describe it, really. No word to describe the color. After a while, the terror of the timeless fractal nature of causality in space-time comes off. And then you see the map of everything that ever happens juxtaposed over your life. And it stays imprinted on your retina forever..."

And it never drew me back in. I was reading a combination of words and nodding my head thinking if i placate the book it won't notice i don't care at all.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Looks like it's going to be some sort of AI robot Batman suit to me, if that Batgirl cover is anything to go by. Can't say I'm a fan of the design but I've enjoyed the rest of their run so far so I'm willing to see where it goes, especially if it's as transformative as they claim.

All-new Batman by Snyder and Capullo starts in June.

http://www.newsarama.com/23742-meet-dc-s-all-new-batman.html

And from previous page.

Interesting, I have a feeling its not Bruce in that suit. Bruce taking a break after Endgame maybe? Or yeah like wetflame suggests, an AI in there instead.

*edit*

Some points of interest from that interview and the one on CBR. This story seems like its going to run from issues 41 - 50/52 and he talks about it as a story he didn't think they'd let him do unless it was out of continuity.

It really leads me to believe its going to be not Bruce, or AI, or something a long those lines and it looks like it'll be the status quo for about a year. Which is usually around how long these big changes to characters last.

ElNarez

Banned
Wild Children: I read this late at night thinking that was a perfectly good, reasonable idea. I of course was wrong. This is where Kot lost me:

" The existence of a lie is a lie. It's a meme we've fed ourselves because it helped us grow. Viruses are higher versions of proteins...Our generation's too old to have any use for lies. Do you understand what i'm saying?"

followed by:

" It's all there is, and you know it's real. It's...there's no color to describe it, really. No word to describe the color. After a while, the terror of the timeless fractal nature of causality in space-time comes off. And then you see the map of everything that ever happens juxtaposed over your life. And it stays imprinted on your retina forever..."

And it never drew me back in. I was reading a combination of words and nodding my head thinking if i placate the book it won't notice i don't care at all.

Yeah no, you can't read Wild Children tired. It's not that kind of book. Step your game up, this ain't Harley Quinn anymore.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Interesting, I have a feeling its not Bruce in that suit. Bruce taking a break after Endgame maybe? Or yeah like wetflame suggests, an AI in there instead.

I await that its Joker. I dont know where the feeling comes from, it would definitly something that has not be done yet.

Messi

*edit*

Some points of interest from that interview and the one on CBR. This story seems like its going to run from issues 41 - 50/52 and he talks about it as a story he didn't think they'd let him do unless it was out of continuity.

It really leads me to believe its going to be not Bruce, or AI, or something a long those lines and it looks like it'll be the status quo for about a year.

No...please.

What if it is Batwing?

Did some reading finally..

Savage Sword of Criminal was pretty awesome... Anyone else read this?
(Criminal One-Shot)
It was really cool how the comic switched back and forth ...
Maybe spoiler ?
From The comic "Savage Sword" that Teeg Lawless was reading,, and someone would interrupt him and it would go back to Criminal comic.
Thought it was pretty cool.
criminal_01b.jpg

Suiciders #1 was surprisingly decent. I thought it was going to be like that Hugh Grant movie were he fights robots lol (never seen it tho) Writing and Art by Lee Bermejo
It seemes to go a lot deeper than just gladiator fights.. it has me curious as to how everything got this way and characters back stories.

Filthy Slug

followed by:

The second out-of-context bit you provided reminds me of when Lex "sees" the world/universe through Superman's eyes in All-Star Superman. Really great stuff right there.

Did that stuff not contextually make sense to you, or were you just not really understanding the meaning behind it all?

tim1138

Yeah no, you can't read Wild Children tired. It's not that kind of book. Step your game up, this ain't Harley Quinn anymore.

Yep, Wild Children and Change are like the Invisibles, you really shouldn't read them if you're tired or otherwise distracted. These books demand and deserve your full attention to grasp and get the full experience of the narrative.

Owzers

The second out-of-context bit you provided reminds me of when Lex "sees" the world/universe through Superman's eyes in All-Star Superman. Really great stuff right there.

Did that stuff not contextually make sense to you, or were you just not really understanding the meaning behind it all?

I felt like i was catching pieces of the meaning without ever really understanding it all. Might be giving myself too much credit with even the pieces.
Were they actually in a comic book or was it just making the comparison?

I'm guessing that the picture is out of context and therefore just a shot of a suit of armour similar to that used at the start of the Endgame arc when fighting the Justice League members?

Speaking of which, I can't remember, was that ever elaborated on? As in where they are now and how they became under the influence of the joker? My memory is atrocious.

Appleseed Batman looks pretty great.
Was it known that Cyborg, Martian Manhunter, Dark Universe, Mystik U, and JL United were not (re)launching until July?

Superman, Batman, and JL 40 all getting delayed til April 29th makes a bit of sense now, since all three of those are tied into the FCBD book.
No, they didn't clarify their releases last month. Glad they are spacing them out a bit if only to give them a slight chance at survival. DC if yall listen, imma pitch yall a real Klarion book. You wanna make some money hit me up.

Boogiepop

So I read through the Siege hardcover. The main event was empty as hell, just super bland stuff. Felt incredibly generic and flat. And yet once again New Avengers has saved a big event book I got for free from a friend from getting passed off elsewhere. Was this series actually good? Or is it just good in comparison to other event tie-in junk that usually happens? Oh, and the Dark Avengers stuff in there at least had an interesting few bits with Sentry, messed up as all that may be.

I'm guessing that the picture is out of context and therefore just a shot of a suit of armour similar to that used at the start of the Endgame arc when fighting the Justice League members?

Speaking of which, I can't remember, was that ever elaborated on? As in where they are now and how they became under the influence of the joker? My memory is atrocious.

Issues like this reinforces the idea that stories should trump continuity. Imo the only strict canon should be JL and events. Pretty much how it is already with Batman & Robin/GL.

where's my fucking shazam

Zombine

Banned
I'd read Uncanny Batman. The Amazing Robin as well.

Also the Avengers United and Avengers of America. Also Howard The Duck 3000.

tim1138

CBR has solicits up for Justice League, Green Lantern Lost Army, Sinestro, Aquaman, and Earth 2: Society, as well as interviews with Johns & Fabok and one with Cullen Bunn.

tim1138

No one tell GH, but I'm talking up the Legion to Cullen Bunn on twitter (mostly because his GL book sounds a lot like DnA's Legion Lost).

Top Bottom