• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Mindwipe

Just as a reminder to anyone who's not got it yet, the Transformers Humble Bundle runs out in the next few hours. So if you'd not go it yet, go get it.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Picked up the first trade of rat queens the other day thanks to you people. Hope it's awesome.

Hah I just saw the all new batman stuff. Well after 20 years of reading comics I've learned to not read too much into teaser shift changes, nor get too freaked out when people want to mess around with stuff. Even the creators themselves domt stick to what they do at times. I remember talks that batman and Gotham we're going all high tech 007 style after NML and that never happened. I remember Morrison talking about a balanced and more upbeat batman to start his run. That lasted like one arc at best.

And even when it does happen, it's comics everything returns to the iconic center eventually.

headshot95

Neo Member
I should be getting my package with the rest of Morrison's Batman tomorrow and I was just wondering the reading order. I finished Batman and Robin vol. 2 and from what I gather I should read Time and the Batman and then The Return of Bruce Wayne, followed by Batman and Robin Vol. 3. Is that right? Does it really matter?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I should be getting my package with the rest of Morrison's Batman tomorrow and I was just wondering the reading order. I finished Batman and Robin vol. 2 and from what I gather I should read Time and the Batman and then The Return of Bruce Wayne, followed by Batman and Robin Vol. 3. Is that right? Does it really matter?

I typed out an answer, but then I checked to make sure my answer was correct and found this more comprehensive answer here.

Not all of the stuff in that list is necessary, just FYI. All of the lame, skippable tie-ins are included in that list. You've got the stuff that matters already. But yeah, that guide looks solid to me.

Comics are gud.

Descender 1, art was gorgeous, its been awhile since I've seen Dustin Nguyen's style. Story was alright, every time I see
huge robots I think celestials
. Added to the pull list for now.

Nameless 1, whomever described this plot like a bunch of movies is absolutely right.
Amphibian
people were terrifying though.

They're not like us 3, art is still great, but the plot is kind of dragging.
We get it, y'all beat the shit out of terrible people.
Time for the story to go beyond that.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I know Filthy has said it, Messi reads it, and a few others read it but are silent about it, but all of you who enjoy good books should seriously be reading Silver Surfer. It has hints of Dr Who, the art is stellar, the story is really sweet, and it probably Slott's strongest book on the market.

Yo, did somebody mention Dan Slott and Mike Allred and Laura Allred's Silver Surfer? Because it's fucking incredible and the most charming and adventure-y book out right now.

headshot95

Neo Member
I typed out an answer, but then I checked to make sure my answer was correct and found this more comprehensive answer here.

Not all of the stuff in that list is necessary, just FYI. All of the lame, skippable tie-ins are included in that list. You've got the stuff that matters already. But yeah, that guide looks solid to me.

Sweet, thanks for this. How important are those "missing chapters" from RIP? According to this list I should have read them earlier in the run.

ElNarez

Banned
Sweet, thanks for this. How important are those "missing chapters" from RIP? According to this list I should have read them earlier in the run.

Like, thematically, they're important so you have to read them either way, but, chronologically, they represent the bit between the end of RIP and the start of Final Crisis, so, that's your answer.

Kipp

The RIP missing chapters are pretty much just recaps of the stuff that happened in Final Crisis that's relevant to Morrison's Batman run. They're also great in their own right, but if you read Final Crisis you didn't miss any new information I don't think. Also, if you didn't read Final Crisis, you should totally read it even though only a small part of it is relevant to Morrison's Batman run.

Edit: What ElNarez said. I forgot that they also covered the stuff between RIP and Final Crisis. It's been a while.

ElNarez

Banned
Also: these are great fucking comics and honestly they might have saved my life because they got me out of a way bad place.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Absolutely read Final Crisis. Saying it's the best event doesn't really mean shit, but it's just a great run of comics that bring together so much of the DCU and its history in smart and fun ways. Also, it made me want to dig further back into the DCU, to better understand everything at play outside of the main action, which is really impressive and kind of what big-2 events should fucking do.

Also: these are great fucking comics and honestly they might have saved my life because they got me out of a way bad place.

Morrison's Batman run and Final Crisis? That's awesome--Morrison's comics are powerful, man, and I always love hearing about people actually being affected by comics. You always hear it about other mediums, but sometimes I feel like many people are too embarrassed to say this comic straight pulled me from the fucking mental phantom zone abyss.

Kipp

Absolutely read Final Crisis. Saying it's the best event doesn't really mean shit, but it's just a great run of comics that bring together so much of the DCU and its history in smart and fun ways. Also, it made me want to dig further back into the DCU, to better understand everything at play outside of the main action, which is really impressive and kind of what big-2 events should fucking do.

I really, really love Final Crisis. It gives me a feeling that feeling of "This is a BIG DEAL" unlike any other comic that I've read. So good. Even the first time I read it when I probably only understood 50% of it, I still was so excited by it.

All of it, but especially RIP: The Missing Chapters. That whole "first truth of Batman" thing was exactly what I needed to hear at the time.

Man, it's so good when a single line just connects with you in such a powerful way.

Sweet, thanks for all the help guys. Sounds like I will be checking out Final Crisis.

Awesome. Good call. My recommendation for when you read it is to not get too caught up in the particulars. Just accept that you won't understand every detail and enjoy the ride.

Owzers

Nameless #1 was okay. Current walking dead spoiler, issue #137( don't read this Messi)
Someone needs to get their eye socket licked in order to get my attention right now

styl3s

I don't even have to watch it to tell you it's shit. They fucked up huge on casting.
Episode 1 is the worst out of the 3 but i really, really enjoyed episodes 2 and 3. It's by far the most interesting super hero show currently on TV aside from Flash IMO.

Wytches 1-4 read by candlelight with moody atmospheric music, this was actually kind of terrifying. Interesting stuff all around, Jock is straight up drawing nightmares in some of these sequences.

What does everybody think of the ink splatter used throughout the book?

It gives the book a cool vibe but sometimes it's kind of excessive.

Whoooooooooo. Pre-orders open Thursday.

kjYj6im.jpg

baJr6lm.jpg

ux3Ljq6.jpg

bkml4TW.jpg

3s5K3H6.jpg

MVxCoQg.jpg

Gosh darn it, stop making me think i clicked figuregaf by mistake.

Avengers Undercover complete. Felt rushed. Y'know the overall arch has a problem when the villains remain far more sympathetic than absolutely everybody else even after the end.

Also i swear to god that every single damn writer seems to think that portraying Maria as Very Angry Lady is good characterization. smh

Nudull

Banned
Avengers Arena and Undercover have got to be two of the most poorly concieved and executed books I've ever seen. What good ever comes out of pissing off a mass of fans of obscure teen characters and teams, people that they have followed for years, for the sake of cheap shock value?

Sandfox

Tomorrow/today is a good Marvel day for me tomorrow.

Avengers Arena and Undercover have got to be two of the most poorly concieved and executed books I've ever seen. What good ever comes out of pissing off a mass of fans of obscure teen characters and teams, people that they have followed for years, for the sake of cheap shock value?

I thought the books had good concepts, but the writing in the books were terrible.

man in a couple of hours I get to know what's the deal with that Rabum Alal fella, i'm SO HYPE

I'm with you there!

My list in order of hype this week:
New Avengers #31
Spider-Gwen #2
Amazing Spider-Man #16
Howard The Duck #1
Nova Annual #1
Ms. Marvel #13
Deadpool #43
East Of West #18
Batman Eternal #49
New 52 Futures End #45