• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Yo, I love Nathan Fox's covers for FBP. Seriously:
Yessir

FBP_Cv19_ds.jpg

They really need to come out with John Ostrander's Suicide Squad in an omnibus. It's like the most wanted DC thing I want to read right now.

CBTech

When I decided to start keeping up with some comics six months ago, I intended to only keep up with a few series. Grayson/Nightwing, Batman, maybe one or two others. I had initially set a budget of like $20 a month thinking that would be enough to pull what I wanted. Now I am already pulling $30 a month plus a monthly Marvel Unlimited subscription and spending money on checking out other series.

What I'm pulling now:
Batman
Batman and Robin
Grayson
Gotham Academy
Punisher
Star Wars
All New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men

What I will most likely add to my pull list (I'm caught up just haven't subscribed):
Zero
Cyclops
Daredevil (I know I should just stay 6 months behind since I have a MU subscription, but it is so good. I did the same thing with Punisher)

What I am tempted to check out and most likely start pulling:
Some Superman series (still need to check out the ones you all recommended)
Megaman (this is more of a definite, I already own the first 4 or 5 trades)
Darth Vader
Catwoman
Spider-Man
Descender

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. I know that this list is still pretty small for most of you, but this is a lot more than I originally intended. Comics are sucking me in and I'm loving it.

I just finished infinity #3 yesterday

that starbrand page
this is when the heavens turned
was instantly a "screenshot and now its my ipad wallpaper" moment

idk he's pretty transparent with alot of OT comic discussions.

he's my favorite user on neogaf

his posts in that lucas buys comics topics are insane

Gosh darn it, stop making me think i clicked figuregaf by mistake.

Avengers Undercover complete. Felt rushed. Y'know the overall arch has a problem when the villains remain far more sympathetic than absolutely everybody else even after the end.

Also i swear to god that every single damn writer seems to think that portraying Maria as Very Angry Lady is good characterization. smh

It was rushed. It was meant to be 18 issues at first, then it was cut to 12, then to 10 when Kev Walker left to do New Avengers and they had to scramble to get a fill-in.

I'm reading Judge Dredd Origins from the Mega Collection right now and Kev's chapters are really good.

Totally. I am no Eva Bell.

Betty is the best Rat Queen

Hey now, let's not say things we can't take back.

They really need to come out with John Ostrander's Suicide Squad in an omnibus. It's like the most wanted DC thing I want to read right now.

Like tim said, it's all on CMX. It's really, really good. I hope the movie will be closer to it than the new 52 series anyway.

Like tim said, it's all on CMX. It's really, really good. I hope the movie will be closer to it than the new 52 series anyway.
with Ayer at the helm i wouldn't expect it, but it'd probably still be solid

which reminds me, Ostrander himself is gonna be at a con i'll be at soon. gonna have to keep my composure when i get a stack of Suicide Squad books signed

Zombine

Banned
I'm so disappointed nobody brought up the Perez Wonder Woman Omnibus and the Neal Adams Batman Omni that are dropping this year.

I'm so disappointed nobody brought up the Perez Wonder Woman Omnibus and the Neal Adams Batman Omni that are dropping this year.
These been discussed before when they were first announced.

The next big books are the BusiekPerez Avengers omni and Simonson Orion omni next month.

Has anyone read the pre Alan Moore Saga of the Swamp Thing issues? I found it a bit jarring starting with Moore's 1st trade as I didn't realise there was a good 20 issues prior.

As far as I can tell there isn't a trade of them but I did notice that they're now on Comixology.

Worth checking out?

Must have overlooked that. I'm personally waiting for the Kabuki Library Editions.
Perez WW in August, Neal Adams Omni in December. Some pretty good stuff this year but as korupt mentioned above a Suicide Squad Ostrander omni would be a godsend, maybe around when the film comes out.

Dunbar

I managed to avoid the Rabum Abal spoiler until I got to the LCS. Of course, it makes no sense, but at least I got to read it for myself.

And Action Comics sure was, uh, something this week.

tim1138

Is there a specific place to start for Astro City? It's another one of those series that I find to be difficult to just jump into.

Honestly you can start with the first issue of the current series. It's not as intimidating as it seems, despite being published off and on for the past 20 or so years there isn't a hard continuity connecting it all. While the cast of heroes stays relatively the same, the stories jump around in time and focus on different eras and different characters. The older stuff is incredibly good and shouldn't be skipped if you like the new series, but it's by no means required reading to jump into and enjoy the current run. If you would like to start at the beginning and read through it that way, here is the reading order for the trades:

Astro City Volume 1: Life in the Big City
Astro City Volume 2: Confession
Astro City Volume 3: Family Album
Astro City Volume 4: Tarnished Angel
Astro City Volume 5: Local Heroes
Astro City Volume 6: The Dark Age Book One: Brothers and Other Strangers
Astro City Volume 7: The Dark Age Book Two: Brothers in Arms
Astro City Volume 8: Shining Stars

I don't champion the book a lot here, but it's one of my favorite books and is just consistently great every month. One thing to keep in mind though, don't expect big knock down, drag out fights every month, what makes it such a great book is a) how personal the stories are and b) the slice of life issues that focus on the citizens of the city as opposed to the heroes.

Rabum Alal is
Doom?

That is kinda tepid.

if Rabum Alal was any threat,

BP would put his ass down
again.

So I guess it's Beyonders vs the World 'till Battleword?

Top Bottom