• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
First I have to see unused Travel Foreman designs for Justice League United, now you're taunting me with thoughts of a Stokoe drawn BRB ongoing. Truly the comics gods hate me and are conspiring against me today.

Really miss Travel's work, man. Dude needs to get on an Image ongoing ASAP.

Zombine

Banned
image_zps2kotarkd.jpg

Another busted-ass broken cheap frame I gotta bring back to Wal-Mart.

tim1138

Really miss Travel's work, man. Dude needs to get on an Image ongoing ASAP.

He's working on that Zuerst Science Fiction Magazine thing, which will apparently piss a lot of people off because he kills Robert Kirkman, Warren Ellis, and a few others in the first few pages. Last time I chatted with him about it, he didn't have a publisher lined up for it though.

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about the main Star Wars title. The art bugged me more in this issue then it has in the past and I wish the series had an established focus like Vader and Leia did right from the start.

Tizoc

Does that list everything?

Wait, where is this from?

Batman TAS episode Holiday Knights, basically the episode is a collection of 3 stories, and the first story features Harley and Ivy with some excellent animation.

Speaking of this episode, the
4 kids remind me of the Newsboy Legion

Messi

Batman TAS episode Holiday Knights, basically the episode is a collection of 3 stories, and the first story features Harley and Ivy with some excellent animation.

Speaking of this episode, the
4 kids remind me of the Newsboy Legion

I knew itI had seen it before.

Zombine

Banned
I have enjoyed the main Star Wars title, it's the side books that I'm not really feeling.

I like it too. I like Vader, but issue #2 wasn't that good.

Edit:

Is a whiteout type pen something that is generally used while inking? I was amazed to see that on the second page, there is this off-white whiteout-ish pen used for accents. It's really neat.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just saw Kingsmen.

Say whatever you want about Mark Miller, call him a sick person if you want.
But his comics are always great adapted to the big screen.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just saw Kingsmen.

To be fair, that's because Matthew Vaughn removes tons of gross horseshit from them, makes the characters more likeable, the stories more palatable, and then puts in some incredible action direction.

Speaking of Star Wars, Noto cover for Shattered Empire #1:

Awesome, this is what I wanted from a new Star Wars EU. The interquel stories in the other comics are great and all, but this is way more my scene.

Can we have Gilad Pellaeon and the Imperial Remnant somehow?

Just saw Kingsmen.

I enjoyed The Secret Service. I might rent the Blu-Ray when it comes out, it left our cinema way too quick because we needed the extra screens for 50 Shades (we only have four screens).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why do you destroy it? :(
(This is the only change in thr PT Special Editions which I hate...)

Edit: Switched to YouTube to listen to the superior special edition ending theme... Oh my god...

tumblr_mnetkfMjh81spnkqyo1_500.gif

This is the year finally get a sequel to the fucking Star Wars OT. I still havent realized it fully...

Why do you destroy it? :(
(This is the only change in thr PT Special Editions which I hate...)

Edit: Switched to YouTube to listen to the superior special edition ending theme... Oh my god...

tumblr_mnetkfMjh81spnkqyo1_500.gif

This is the year finally get a sequel to the fucking Star Wars OT. I still havent realized it fully...

Someone needs to make a video of the Hayden Christensen version of the ending with the original "Yub Nub" music.

fauxtrot

Banned
Zombine, what did you think of Rachel Rising Vol 2 compared to Vol 1? I'm curious to know what I'm in for once I get to my shop and pick it up...

Zombine

Banned
Zombine, what did you think of Rachel Rising Vol 2 compared to Vol 1? I'm curious to know what I'm in for once I get to my shop and pick it up...

Where does one start and the other begin? I read it issue by issue digitally with the hopes of a hardcover collection down the line.

I don't think the quality ever dips. When I was catching up, I was compelled after every issue to keep on reading.

The Twitter feminist movement is trying to get the Batgirl Joker variant from happening. I respect a lot of their fight but not this one. It's a throwback to an iconic moment in the characters history.

Boogiepop

Before I forget again: I've asked this before to no avail, but with the TMNT/Ghostbusters crossover, does it draw/reference heavily from the comics for Ghostbusters, or just the movies? Like, should I really pick those up first, or would I be fine using it to gauge whether or not I'm interested in going back for them? I know at least one person in here must have read it...

Nudull

Banned
The Twitter feminist movement is trying to get the Batgirl Joker variant from happening. I respect a lot of their fight but not this one. It's a throwback to an iconic moment in the characters history.

A gross, classic "women in refrigerators"-type of moment in the character's history that was salvaged by the work of Kim Yale, John Ostrander, Chuck Dixon, Gail Simone and others. Said moment that DC has a weird obsession with reminding everybody about even more than they like to reference Bane breaking Batman's back.

This is a trap issue for that movement. They mean well but if they take every bait without understanding context and history of what they're raging about it dilutes the power of their message.

arkon

Final issue of that sixth Hitman trade :( Everything about it. Surprising, funny, heartfelt, emotional, it's all there. This trade as a whole has been heavier but there's always that element of humour throughout. Just enough and at just the right times.

There's a couple of examples of how powerful comics can be in letting the imagination of the reader fill in the blanks between panels and moments. Particularly the end of #49 and that one splash page in #50. Wonderful stuff.

I'm at that point now where I'm drawing out the experience because I don't want it to end. One more trade left... :(

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A gross, classic "women in refrigerators"-type of moment in the character's history that was salvaged by the work of Chuck Dixon, Gail Simone and others. Said moment that DC has a weird obsession with reminding everybody about even more than they like to reference Bane breaking Batman's back.

I can at least imagine why they do this... Out of Broken Bat, there came a chapter, DC dont want people to remember... While out of Killing Joke came Oracle, a still iconic character.

fauxtrot

Banned

I'm not gonna say any more about that cover other than this: there are certain elements about it that bother me and a few small changes would have made it a hell of a lot more acceptable, in my opinion. It's a fantastically drawn piece that would hold a lot of emotional weight even without some of the elements I find troublesome.

Where does one start and the other begin? I read it issue by issue digitally with the hopes of a hardcover collection down the line.

I don't think the quality ever dips. When I was catching up, I was compelled after every issue to keep on reading.

Vol 1 ended with
the car accident and the dark haired friend of Rachel's waking up in the morgue.
Do we get to find out more about what is happening to these people that are
"rising"
in Vol 2? I need to know!

Nudull

Banned
I'm not gonna say any more about that cover other than this: there are certain elements about it that bother me and a few small changes would have made it a hell of a lot more acceptable, in my opinion. It's a fantastically drawn piece that would hold a lot of emotional weight even without some of the elements I find troublesome.

It's just a stupid cover all around that easily been changed to make it less icky.

...but naaah, let's point and laugh at the SJW's instead. It's not like they matter. ^_^

A gross, classic "women in refrigerators"-type of moment in the character's history that was salvaged by the work of Chuck Dixon, Gail Simone and others. Said moment that DC has a weird obsession with reminding everybody about even more than they like to reference Bane breaking Batman's back.
I don't see it as women In refrigerators in any way. The events in the killing joke served a very specific purpose to the themes and point of the story. I understand people wanting to raise awareness about treatment of women and minorities in media but if people are going to over analyze anything bad that happens then I fear what you'll get is either a flood of a) creators avoid using them if they want to do darker, creepier, etc things. Or b) they swing so far the other way we get complaints of Mary sue characters or the "magical negro/minority" characters

Zombine

Banned
Vol 1 ended with
the car accident and the dark haired friend of Rachel's waking up in the morgue.
Do we get to find out more about what is happening to these people that are
"rising"
in Vol 2? I need to know!

I think you find out in the next issue!

Most of these characters would not exist if it wasn't for the evil that image represents. That's why its art to me. You can't have light without the darkness.

Nudull

Banned
I don't see it as women In refrigerators in any way. The events in the killing joke served a very specific purpose to the themes and point of the story. I understand people wanting to raise awareness about treatment of women and minorities in media but if people are going to over analyze anything bad that happens then I fear what you'll get is either a flood of a) creators avoid using them if they want to do darker, creepier, etc things. Or b) they swing so far the other way we get complaints of Mary sue characters or the "magical negro/minority" characters

It's not the fact that bad things happen to women and minorities that's the problem; it's about context. Barbara was purely there to be victimized as a showing of how "serious" Joker was. Used as a plot device and nothing more.

Top Bottom