• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

so the OT thread on That Cover has devolved to "what if the Joker raped Batman".

meanwhile the hashtag protesting it has been taken over by fucking gamergate of all people

I think these two things say it all.

MEANWHILE

You are making it a black and white issue. Without being insensitive or out of spite, I really think it's a work of art. I don't see male or female, I see good and evil.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have tried and tried to read the Roger Stern Spiderman omnibus but it is such a chore. If you don't know, Roger Stern started off on Peter Parker Spectacular Spiderman and then after a few years, took over on Amazing Spiderman with JRJR. Well half this book is the PPSSM run. After the novelty wears off, you are stuck with stories that rely heavily on narration and internal thought bubbles to tell a story and deliver characterization. We are on issue 47 of this run Roger Stern, why do you have to keep on reminding people through Peters internal thoughts that he has the proportional strength of a spider. Why does Peter have to always internalize, "if I do this, this will happen, and if that happens, then this can happen" all the time.

I have heard the PPSSM run was good but not great, should I skip to his Amazing Spiderman run with JRJR?

Classic Comics are sometimes hard to endure.

I think its Stan Lees fault. He had this everybook could be the first to someone doctrine.

ElNarez

Banned
You are making it a black and white issue. Without being insensitive or out of spite, I really think it's a work of art. I don't see male or female, I see good and evil.

I meant more "this is a clusterfuck that no one in their right mind should be this worked up about". The cover's a great piece of art. It's the context that makes it look way worse than it is.

Cheska

Damn, I feel like I haven't posted a list in a while.

BATGIRL #40
BATGIRL ENDGAME #1
ALEX + ADA #13
CHRONONAUTS #1
BLACK WIDOW #16
LOKI AGENT OF ASGARD #12
SILK #2
UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #3

PLUS!
AVENGERS BY BUSIEK AND PEREZ OMNIBUS HC VOL 01
ANGEL AND FAITH SEASON 9 LIBRARY ED HC VOL 01

And probably more when I see all the goodness from IST updates.

Messi

BATGIRL #40
BATGIRL ENDGAME #1
ALEX + ADA #13
CHRONONAUTS #1
BLACK WIDOW #16
LOKI AGENT OF ASGARD #12
SILK #2

PLUS!

Cheska. You betrayed Batwoman in her final hour? Say it ain't so :(

I have tried and tried to read the Roger Stern Spiderman omnibus but it is such a chore. If you don't know, Roger Stern started off on Peter Parker Spectacular Spiderman and then after a few years, took over on Amazing Spiderman with JRJR. Well half this book is the PPSSM run. After the novelty wears off, you are stuck with stories that rely heavily on narration and internal thought bubbles to tell a story and deliver characterization. We are on issue 47 of this run Roger Stern, why do you have to keep on reminding people through Peters internal thoughts that he has the proportional strength of a spider. Why does Peter have to always internalize, "if I do this, this will happen, and if that happens, then this can happen" all the time.

I have heard the PPSSM run was good but not great, should I skip to his Amazing Spiderman run with JRJR?

For good or ill alot of comics will take the approach that "This could be someones first comic" and thus there will often be a repeat of information like that;

. o O ( I can use such and such power to do such and such... ! )

The key is to find the right balance.

John Byrne's Superman had that "this could be someone's first comic" thing real bad. It's like he learned how to write by listening to radio plays

MG310

Noto Spider-Gwen. Hopefully he does one of the conventions I'm going to this year.

CAJ5GzPWQAAtOiY.jpg

barrin87

Haven't read a ton recently since I've been reading more regular books that I desperately need to take back to the library. The few more recent reads:

Blankets
For how many glowing reviews this had on Amazon I was expecting more out of this book. It was OK and the story was touching in parts but I felt like it didn't go anywhere at the ending.

Ms. Marvel Volume 1
I had already read the first four issues on MU so only the last bit of this was new to me. Still loved the full thing and eagerly can't wait for the next trade to come out. I have MU but Ms. Marvel definitely deserves to be purchased.

Fables #19-20 (Deluxe Book 3)
First two issues in the third deluxe book are pretty good so far. Can't say I expected to see
Red Riding Hood
again.

BATGIRL #40
BATGIRL ENDGAME #1
ALEX + ADA #13
CHRONONAUTS #1
BLACK WIDOW #16
LOKI AGENT OF ASGARD #12
SILK #2

PLUS!

This is this week?

WHYYYYYYYYY? I'm flat broke for another few weeks.

frye

Man, Murphy's had a miniseries every year for the last few years hasn't he? That's pretty cool even if none of them are particularly great comics outside of him.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ugh, I cant touch the New Frontier Paper, it feels like Newspaper paper....

But the spine of the newer DC Deluxe Editions is great. Far superior to Marvels spines.

Zombine

Banned
I was playing H1Z1 and I shot some dude in the head because I liked his baseball bat. I looked at it and didn't even pick it up. What has King Carl done to me?

Cheska

Jesus, have you guys seen the nonsense and bitching Erik Larsen has been doing on Twitter about female costumes and redesigns?

I'm on mobile otherwise I'd link to it.

Why even complain about Spider-Woman getting redesigned? She's a street level character so her new look is fine and her old costume was always pretty bland at best.

I like the Spider-Woman redesign. Or "Hipster Spider-Woman" as it were. Is the book good?
I have no idea, Psych said it was an improvement over the first few issues. Not sure of how much of that is due to Rodriguez taking over on art duties though lol
I do like some flamboyance to my costumes. It gets a little boring if it focuses too much on practicality.
No I agree. But in a case like Spider-Woman it's not like there was much flare to begin with.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Erik Larsen Twitter

Seems to start around 24h ago as of 1pm PST.
He has a point about the one percent that is bitching on social media, but the rest... Oh boy... And I say this as someone who thinks that the classic costumes of characters like Carol Danvers, Jessica Drew, Barbara Gordon and Wonder Woman are way more better than their modern, more desexualized counterparts

No I agree. But in a case like Spider-Woman it's not like there was much flare to begin with.

I'm not referencing Spider Woman. I have no opinions on that particular redesign. I don't even care about sexuality. I just want awesome costumes, not something that looks like it was thrown together down at the local thrift store.

Top Bottom