• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Is this what the recap pages at the start of comics replaced?
Recap pages pretty much ended the need for Editor's Notes, comics sounding like radio shows were just replaced by more modern storytelling.

If you want a good example of how they used to sound like radio shows check out the Tom vs the Flash podcast. The host Tom Katers narrates early Flash issues and it's pretty entertaining how descriptive comics used to be.

Is this what the recap pages at the start of comics replaced?

Mm... not really. It's less about summarizing and more about on-panel explanations and expositions. A character will explicitly walk us through what they're doing or planning to do.

It's not gone completely, but it's a lot less common nowadays.

dan2026

Why did older comics have such a heavy 'tell don't show' attitude?
They never let the art do the talking and instead had characters essentially narrate the entire issue.

They never let the art do the talking and instead had characters essentially narrate the entire issue.

That's what I was coming about earlier when reading old Spiderman from the 80s. I was just having a hard time getting through it. There was times I caught myself not even reading it and just looking at the art and reading only dialog just to get it over with.

Messi

Dude! Dude! That Joker, that Superman, that punch from Superman to
through
The Joker.

Yeah it is a pretty incredible moment. I love that they can do stuff like that as it is in its own universe. Can't wait to see what you think of Harley.

__

Just finished the first volume of Rachel Rising. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck me. Fucking Terry Moore what a wonderful person. More detailed impressions when I get a chance.

Yeah it is a pretty incredible moment. I love that they can do stuff like that as it is in its own universe. Can't wait to see what you think of Harley.

__

Just finished the first volume of Rachel Rising. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck me. Fucking Terry Moore what a wonderful person. More detailed impressions when I get a chance.

Man, just completed the first 2 issues. This is really excellent stuff for an Elseworlds title. They should have devoted an Earth to this universe in the Multiversity Guidebook. Now I see why this comic is still going on; it's pretty cool.

Messi

Man, just completed the first 2 issues. This is really excellent stuff for an Elseworlds title. They should have devoted an Earth to this universe in the Multiversity Guidebook. Now I see why this comic is still going on; it's pretty cool.

It really gets a lot better as it goes on too.

Owzers

walking dead tv show ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how is this season good? Why is this good? You were bad for so long.

It really gets a lot better as it goes on too.

I thought I was going to be reading a story with fun and shallow action but poor writing and characterization after hearing people in here writing about Tom Taylor but this has been some great stuff. Harley was excellent. I just read issue 3 and his Wonder Woman was fantastic. I'm excited to read more before bed. Watch shows now though.

Zombine

Banned
walking dead tv show ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how is this season good? Why is this good? You were bad for so long.

Last season was great. The show has never been "bad." Low Winter Sun was bad. This show just suffered from too many hands in the pot. Gimple came in and cleaned up the joint.

Owzers

Last season was great. The show has never been "bad." Low Winter Sun was bad. This show just suffered from too many hands in the pot. Gimple came in and cleaned up the joint.

It's the reverse of the comic for me, disliked the show until
they left the prison

I really do think it was a leftover bit of association with old radio shows, though I'd be interested in reading a real explanation if anyone's seen one.

Another possibility that occurs to me is that it could be the result of a less direct cooperation between artist and writer, where the writer had to be super explicit with their dialogue because they were never really sure what the artist would draw.

Boogiepop

So those codes for the free stuff on Comixology... I've just been putting them in through the little code option on the cart. But now that's gone and just says "redeem e-gift card" or some such and they don't work there anymore. Where should I be putting them in?

I dont think the new Wonder Woman outfit is all that good but J Scott Campbell and Larsen are super shitty designers and draw women aimed for sexually frustrated 13 year old boys. Them shitting on designs is a positive sign for me

I dont think the new Wonder Woman outfit is all that good but J Scott Campbell and Larsen are super shitty designers and draw women aimed for sexually frustrated 13 year old boys. Them shitting on designs is a positive sign for me

It's weird, but I kinda like the new WW costume. She looks like some kind of star-studded Wolverine, but they gave her Baraka's blades instead.

frye

inclined to agree tbh

I think the crotch flap is supposed to recall all those costumes with the leather skirts but it just looks weird and the less said about the Baraka blades the better

Don't like the new WW costume, why was the Jim Lee redesign so short lived
LM01aA6.jpg

It's weird, but I kinda like the new WW costume. She looks like some kind of star-studded Wolverine, but they gave her Baraka's blades instead.

Oh, it's overdesigned. There's too much on it. But the problem isn't being covered from head to toe, which is a problem Larsen and Campbell had.

Oh, it's overdesigned. There's too much on it. But the problem isn't being covered from head to toe, which is a problem Larsen and Campbell had.

It's very busy, yeah. But there are definitely some cool elements that I like. I don't know what Wonder Woman is going to do with wrist-blades though, if not impale people.

Vyer

trying to recover from the ending of the Jinx

I have all these issues of Waid's Flash I bought but I don't think I can focus right now

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I think the new Wonder Woman outfit matches the quality of the current run.

I think the new Wonder Woman outfit matches the quality of the current run.

Oof. I haven't read it since Finch took over. Not good, I take it? I mean, there was no way the incoming writer could have competed with Azzarello and Chiang anyway. Did the book become more involved with the larger DCU and Justice League like DC was saying it would? I thought the strong point of A&C's run was keeping things self-contained and intertwining her story with Greek mythology.

MG310

I imagine somebody will take that Finch design and clean it up when she appears in another book. Personally I'd lose the black shirt/sleeves/gauntlet blades and the black part of the crotch flap.

Might go with something more armored to match the upper body for the boots as well..but I really like the modifications to the New 52 top.

She better keep the blades. It's a good alternative then the sword and shield she would have in one issue and then magically disappear the next.

"Sexually frustrated 13 year old boys," Even though half of Campbell's fanbase is female. Also it's called pinup.

Top Bottom