• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Hey guys! I see Messi told you about my LTTP Hawkeye thread. Really REALLY loving it. Just got Vol. 3 today. I can see it's going to end in vol. 4/issue #22, whenever that's released. I'm already sad about that given how much I love Fraction's approach, but thinking about it today, at this point, I think I'm just really invested in Clint and Kate, period.

So, how is All-New Hawkeye to those that have read it? I plan to give it a fair chance (I think the writer has his head in the right place, reading some quotes) and I also want to check out Young Avengers since I already know I like that teams work and Daredevil by Mark Waid.

I would be happy to take any other recommendations yui guys have. I got Spider-Gwen and Silk last month, so I want to follow those as well. Liking both so far, especially Silk.
All-New is pretty good. If you enjoy Clint and Kate then you'll definitely like it since the banter between them is as fun as ever. The only thing I'm not crazy about is how the new series wants to explore Clint's past and the flashbacks just felt kind of out of place. Still, it's early on and my opinion on that could definitely change.

Give some other new Marvel books a look. Ant-Man, for example, is really great even if you're not into the character. It's about Scott Lang trying to make a new life for himself and just like Superior Foes, Nick Spencer does a great job at making the banter and character's thoughts a lot of fun to follow. Only three issues out now too so it's easy to jump on board. You'd probably like Ms. Marvel too.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This week is Unbeatable Squirrel Girl week, right? Smashing. Going away on holiday to Singapore and Vietnam for two weeks on Saturday so I'll save all my digital comics to take away with me. The new Moon Knight team starts this week too, might be time to jump back on that train.

This week is Unbeatable Squirrel Girl week, right? Smashing. Going away on holiday to Singapore and Vietnam for two weeks on Saturday so I'll save all my digital comics to take away with me. The new Moon Knight team starts this week too, might be time to jump back on that train.

Yep, Squirrel Girl and Silk come out this week. Gonna be a good week.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yep, Squirrel Girl and Silk come out this week. Gonna be a good week.

Oh I forgot about Silk, yeah that's another good book. Looking forward to Black Widow, Magneto, Princess Leia and The Punisher too.

Has anyone heard anything about Red One? Saw the cover a while back and the premise sounds interesting but not sure whether to give it a shot. I may as well. What else am I going to spend money on?

Quiet-er one for me this week, sad that there isn't an Avengers/New Avengers though!

Batman Eternal #50
New 52 Futures End #46
Chrononauts #1
All-New X-Men #39
Amazing Spider-Man #16.1
Black Widow #16
Cyclops #11
Guardians Team-Up #3
Hulk #13
Magneto #16
Silk #2
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3

I could swear we're about due an issue of The Bunker too but it's not listed on Comic List.

So what do you guys propose? That he stops doing what he's good at and dedicate his career exclusively to Amanda Waller redesigns? Jesus fuck, people will complain about anything.

Nnnnoo people have opinions about anything. No ones looking for shit to complain about. I feel like opinions turn into complaints whenever the person who's speaking disagrees with them.

JSC can do whatever he pleases and keep taking in $_$. And I can be like bro, that's wack.

#USA

Owzers

I thought Bitch Planet #1 was kinda....weird. If you are going to send people to another planet then why isn't it like No Escape free for all, why build an actual prison? Is the planet colonized like Earth and it's just a regular prison? Seems like going through a lot of effort. I liked the idea behind the book
being able to send women to prison offworld because they aren't compliant is really creepy
but not so much the book itself.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Nnnnoo people have opinions about anything. No ones looking for shit to complain about. I feel like opinions turn into complaints whenever the person who's speaking disagrees with them.

JSC can do whatever he pleases and keep taking in $_$. And I can be like bro, that's wack.

#USA
Secretly, I'm american.

That strange feeling I had all this time was actually FREEDOM. FUCK YEA.

BTW, read the latest Manhattan Projects trade yesterday and boy how did that book got so crazy? No one could have guessed from reading the first eps. Hickman should get that wacky more often.

so its almost one year since the book launched?
Wow... Time has passed incredible fast.

Edit: oh boy, that Aquaman thread is going to be fun.

Yep, not long to go!
Thankfully I can say the same for Future's End. Might as well see it through but I can't see myself holding on to all those issues when it's done!

edit: jesus christ future's end is STILL a thing? I stopped paying attention to DC from a high level about the time it started and just kept to a few select books a month but I can't believe that shit is still going.

I dont really pay attention to events too much but 11 months of multiple issues seems like too many books

What is the silk that needs to be read? just her solo?

I know when she was first announced her costume was ridiculous and she spoken of very highly because of her stupid original sin origin "Peter wasn't the only one bitten!" "how is that his 'sin' okay whatever"

I'm assuming she's in some amazing spider-man and then in some spider-verse and then a solo book now?

His work is largely targeted at male teens. You know this. His popularity comes from comics in the 90s which skewed very heavily towards male teens. I didn't say women/girls can't find his work appealing.

I'd like to see a source for half his fans being women. I'd be surprised if true. I don't know of any female fans of his work, personally. But then again I've only known one fan of his work and he was textbook Simpsons comic book guy and a clear misogynist.

i mean, we got his 2014 calendar because my wife wanted it, and the manager of our comic shop is a chick and she bought like 5 copies of it for whatever reason

so in my anecdote, 100% of his fans are women.

What the year long weekly is still going less than a year later, I don't understand this!

fe91a3dc38b1981226c5c025fc759674.jpg

I don't want any of you except for our resident artists, Kipp, Ed, and Korupt's wife to say anything at all about art.

I think that's how opinions work, right?

There is no reason a cheesecake cover artist should have anything to say about a new design.

Dude was probably mad he can't do his usual midtown variant cover, cause women's shoulder pads goes against his integrity.

I think Birdie pretty much hit the nail on the head - he can say/do whatever he wants, and then i can go "lol aight j scott" when he does

I think Birdie pretty much hit the nail on the head - he can say/do whatever he wants, and then i can go "lol aight j scott" when he does

True.

Moving on to comics the rest of the comixology giveaway stuff
Redeem here
comiXology’s #GEEKSTAGEGIVEAWAY Day 3 (FINAL) Recap
Use the code FLASH to get King: Flash Gordon #1
Use the code PLANET to get Bitch Planet #1
Use the code CRIMINALS to get Sex Criminals #1
Use the code DAREDEVIL to get Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1
Use the code NOTLIKEUS to get They’re Not Like Us #1
Use the code ARCHIE to get Archie: The Married Live Vol. 1
Use the code JUGHEAD to get Afterlife With Archie Vol. 1
Use the code SXSWDC to get Fables: The Wolf Among Us #1 & 2, Batman: Arkham Knight #1 & 2, and Mortal Kombat X #1 & 2 for Free

I don't want any of you except for our resident artists, Kipp, Ed, and Korupt's wife to say anything at all about art.

I think that's how opinions work, right?

*Is a professional working artist, with multiple degrees in the field, gets left out of artist list by brother from another mother*

It feels bad man.

PsychBat!

Banned
It's hard to choose.
While I like married Spider-Man, single Spider-Man brought amazing things and arcs. SpOck, Anna Maria and Spider-Island/Verse.

do you guys think dan slott will follow through alright with the story? I'm not familiar with his writing.

i just want a nice spiderman story where he's married and has a kid and juggles it with his spiderman stuff. no dumb fuckery with the devil or some other shit.

PsychBat!

Banned
do you guys think dan slott will follow through alright with the story? I'm not familiar with his writing.

i just want a nice spiderman story where he's married and has a kid and juggles it with his spiderman stuff. no dumb fuckery with the devil or some other shit.
While Slott has written some odd shit in the past that makes reader go "huh?", he still hasn't ruined Spidey on any level.

Mudcrab

Well it's a Last Days story so it's entirely possible Slott will write something tragic happening to the family Parker.

Theory posted elsewhere:
Slott kills off this Peter and Mary Jane and through plot twists and such 616 Spidey ends up with their daughter, becoming a single father after Secret Wars.

I really hope so, but the ending arcs of Superior and relaunch of Amazing make me kind of nervous for this.

Still, I'll be buying this because I miss married Peter. I'm happy Ramos isn't doing the art at least.

Well it's a Last Days story so it's entirely possible Slott will write something tragic happening to the family Parker.

i'm fine with a tragic consequence, as long as it's not from some lame external influence and more parker's doing (one of his enemies or even something personal)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Slott's done great stuff with Spidey when he doesn't need to worry too much about other books, continuity, or a long run. If it's anything like "I'm with stupid" then we're going to have a great time.

Sou Da

A Slott book about personal family relationships.

Yeah you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment and denial.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I wrote this a million time, but the last three Years of Slott Spider-Man very incredible boring, espescially since he is phoning Amazing in since he is butthurt because he had to let SpOck go. Drop him from the book ans hire Mark Waid or Christos Cage and I am happy.
And oh god, fire Ramos. I am currently re-reading Spidey since Spider-Island and this guy is the worst. Hire Coipel or someone who is worthy of a AAA Character like Spider-Man.

Theory posted elsewhere:
Slott kills off this Peter and Mary Jane and through plot twists and such 616 Spidey ends up with their daughter, becoming a single father after Secret Wars.
That would be nice.

But Slott will rather shorehorn a new shit-character again and take a big turd on the established Spider-Sidecast.

Last days of Slott? :) Niiice.
(Sorry for the rant. I just want to read a good Amazing Spider-Man Issue again :()

Well, I'm glad you guys convinced me to go back and read modern Spider-Man (starting with OMD). I still kind of hate OMD and how they did it, but man, it's been a fun ride powering through all these stories over the past several weeks. I'm now a little ways into the solo Slott era, about to start Spider Island now. I know that the general consensus on GAF is that it all goes downhill from here, but I'm enjoying it. And I sure have been enjoying some of the artists I've seen around this era, like Marcos Martin, Azaceta, Max Fumara etc.

Top Bottom