• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Cade

Went to Walgreen's one last time just with the tiniest bit of hope and lucked out.

lightroom-5227icuts.jpg

Frank the Frank Funko, yesssss.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Too happy, right? I fixed it:

wWVg61U.jpg

help i'm tired and can't photomanipulate today

I still don't know what Marvel was thinking with that exclusive. Had to pass on Venom, but the mold on that one is really good; the 3D tongue is great.
Anyone of you must send me a Venom Funko :( This figure is so great, I hate that it is exclusive :/

BOOM Studios June solicits have some interesting new #1's coming up.
STRANGE FRUIT # 1 (of 4) (Advance solicited for on sale in July)
Retail Price: $3.99
Authors: J.G. Jones and Mark Waid
Artist: J.G. Jones
Cover Artists:
Main Cover: J.G. Jones
Jackpot Variant Cover: J.G. Jones
BOOM! 10 Years Incentive Cover: TBD
Incentive Cover: J.G. Jones
What’s to Love: Two of the industry’s most respected and prolific creators come together for the first time in a deeply personal passion project. J.G. Jones (52, Wanted, Y: The Last Man) and Mark Waid (Irredeemable, Superman: Birthright, Kingdom Come) take on a powerful, beautifully painted story set during the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927. Strange Fruit is a challenging, provocative examination of the heroic myth confronting the themes of racism, cultural legacy, and human nature through a literary lens, drawing from Southern folklore and tradition.
What It Is: It’s 1927 in the town of Chatterlee, Mississippi, drowned by heavy rains. The Mississippi River is rising, threatening to break open not only the levees, but also the racial and social divisions of this former plantation town. A fiery messenger from the skies heralds the appearance of a being, one that will rip open the tensions in Chatterlee. Savior or threat? It depends on where you stand. All the while, the waters are still rapidly rising…
BROKEN WORLD #1 (of 4)
Author: Frank J. Barbiere
Artist: Christopher Peterson
Cover Artists:
Main Cover: Christopher Peterson
BOOM! 10 Years Incentive Cover: Frazer Irving
Incentive Cover: Christian Ward
What’s to Love: We’re thrilled to publish the one new original series co-created and written by Frank J. Barbiere (Five Ghosts, Avengers World) in 2015. Broken World is a gripping sci-fi thriller and survival adventure great for fans of Y: The Last Man or The Massive. Barbiere and co-creator/artist Christopher Peterson (Grindhouse, Mayday) will explore the lives of people left behind in the apocalypse.
What It Is: With a meteor days away from causing an extinction-level event on Earth, time is running out for Elena Marlowe. While most of the planet’s population and her family were approved by the government to escape on one of the giant spaceships headed to another planet, her application was denied due to her mysterious past. With the meteor fast approaching, Elena tries desperately to find a way to fake her way onto the last ship or else be left behind to die with the rest of Earth’s rejected denizens.
THE FICTION #1 (of 4)
Author: Curt Pires
Artist: David Rubín
Cover Artists:
Main Cover: David Rubín
BOOM! 10 Years Incentive Cover: Frazer Irving
Incentive Cover: Tula Lotay
What’s to Love: Curt Pires (POP, Mayday) is a fountain of fascinating ideas, and we’re excited to publish his latest offering, The Fiction. Fans of titles like Locke & Key and The Unwritten will take to its story about a group of childhood friends who discover doorways to other worlds through a set of strange books. Bringing this story to life is David Rubín, who Paul Pope dubbed “...a big talent and the real deal.”
What It Is: Four childhood friends discover a box of strange books that, when read aloud, can transport them to the beautiful, imaginary worlds described within. But when one of them goes missing, the others vow never to reveal where they’ve been and what they’ve seen. Years later, when one of the remaining kids, now an adult, also mysteriously disappears, it’s up to the last two of the group to dig up their dusty books to find him and finally figure out what happened to their friend all those years ago.
Strange Fruit Lithograph

So many #1s I love it.

Babs Tarr doing the 1:25 Black Canary variant. Oooooooooh

Mmm... Catwoman Bombshell and Cover Girls Bleez in October. Yesssssssss. As for the #1's, I think I'm only in for Canary, Starfire, and Prez. Maybe JL3000 if I can remember who those awesome characters they were adding to the book were. :p

Cade

Anyone of you must send me a Venom Funko :( This figure is so great, I hate that it is exclusive :/

Marvel seriously dropped the boat ball. 2099 is a fan favorite but not really a super well-known character, so I could see that one. Even symbiote suit spider-man is a little bit well, it's a fanservice thing, not a main character.. but Punisher and Venom? Bullshit.

EDIT: Drop the boat? I must be losing my goddamn mind.

Owzers

Mmm... Catwoman Bombshell and Cover Girls Bleez in October. Yesssssssss. As for the #1's, I think I'm only in for Canary, Starfire, and Prez. Maybe JL3000 if I can remember who those awesome characters they were adding to the book were. :p

i wish i liked Bleez more because that statue looks amazing.

Takuan

Casual reader here. So, I recently finished volume 3 of the Batman 52 TPB after ignoring it for the past year, and now there are 2 additional volumes out and a new one out in May. What's the verdict on the Zero Year and Graveyard Shift arcs? I enjoyed volumes 1-3, 3 more than the first two mainly because The Joker. I'll probably enjoy these well enough, but I'm just curious what people here thought of them.

Was considering getting All-Star Batman & Robin, but upon learning it's unfinished I'll probably just leave it, Jim Lee art be damned.

What about Harley / Power Girl? :O
Casual reader here. So, I recently finished volume 3 of the Batman 52 TPB after ignoring it for the past year, and now there are 2 additional volumes out and a new one out in May. What's the verdict on the Zero Year and Graveyard Shift arcs? I enjoyed volumes 1-3, 3 more than the first two mainly because The Joker. I'll probably enjoy these well enough, but I'm just curious what people here thought of them.

Was considering getting All-Star Batman & Robin, but upon learning it's unfinished I'll probably just leave it, Jim Lee art be damned.

I'm not up to date on Batman, but general impressions on Zero Year are very positive. I know quite a few people think it's the best part of the run so far.

Nice. Thanks for the link.

Fire and Ice? Blue Beetle and Booster Gold?

OMG OMG

AQUAMAN: SUB-DIEGO TP
Written by WILL PFEIFER
Art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON and CHRISTIAN ALAMY
On sale JULY 1 • 192 pg, FC, $16.99 US
In these stories from AQUAMAN #15-22, a devastating earthquake hits San Diego, leaving thousands dead. But someone survived the cataclysm...and their survival will require Aquaman to take on a new role that draws upon all his experience as a hero and leader of a nation!

WONDER WOMAN BY GEORGE PEREZ OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC
Written by GEORGE PEREZ, GREG POTTER and LEN WEIN
Art by GEORGE PEREZ, BRUCE PATTERSON and others
Cover by GEORGE PEREZ
On sale AUGUST 19 • 640 pg, FC, $75.00 US
This omnibus collects the first two years of George Pérez’s 1980s run on WONDER WOMAN, including issues #1-24 and WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL #1. These stories reestablished Wonder Woman’s heroic career with appearances by the gods of Olympus and villains including Cheetah and Silver Swan.

All those wonderful Martian Manhunter panels in that "strange facts about superheroes" thread got me hankering for some good MM stories. I've never really read anything with the character; anybody got some recommendations?

tim1138

I think it's absolutely commendable of them to step up their game like that. Personally, I feel that the best part is that none of it really feels like it is pandering.

I agree completely, it all feels very organic. There was no press release issued to CBR or Rama or USA Today or anything of that nature. I'm really hoping Midnighter takes off and becomes a huge hit, everything I've read from Orlando about it has made me super excited.

I agree completely, it all feels very organic. There was no press release issued to CBR or Rama or USA Today or anything of that nature. I'm really hoping Midnighter takes off and becomes a huge hit, everything I've read from Orlando about it has made me super excited.

I'm curious about Midnighter. I picked up Stormwatch and didn't really like it (it was shit) so I just sort of wrote all of that off. I'm aware of The Authority but haven't really read more than an issue or two. It was the Grayson issues with him that really got me interested. If they can give me that level of a book then I'll be onboard to check it out for at least the first couple issues.

I think it is particularly noteworthy that Lee all but said that Batwoman was just going on a brief hiatus but that she'd come back. I wouldn't be surprised to see her back in the next wave of books after the June rollout with a new creative team, a shiny #1, and a renewed push.

I really hope they're serious about pulling their hands back a bit on the editorial end. It's clear that they've been heading in that direction, you don't really get the blowups that were prevalent a year and a half or so ago. Combine that with a more diverse group of writers, artists and other support staff and I am very hopeful for renewed, positive energy coming out of their line. So the cycle goes, the wax and wane.

Messi

I'm curious about Midnighter. I picked up Stormwatch and didn't really like it (it was shit) so I just sort of wrote all of that off. I'm aware of The Authority but haven't really read more than an issue or two. It was the Grayson issues with him that really got me interested. If they can give me that level of a book then I'll be onboard to check it out for at least the first couple issues.

I think it is particularly noteworthy that Lee all but said that Batwoman was just going on a brief hiatus but that she'd come back. I wouldn't be surprised to see her back in the next wave of books after the June rollout with a new creative team, a shiny #1, and a renewed push.

I really hope they're serious about pulling their hands back a bit on the editorial end. It's clear that they've been heading in that direction, you don't really get the blowups that were prevalent a year and a half or so ago. Combine that with a more diverse group of writers, artists and other support staff and I am very hopeful for renewed, positive energy coming out of their line. So the cycle goes, the wax and wane.

I really hope that Batwoman bit is true. I really love her and would love to see what a new team could do. I assumed she was going on the shelf for a long time.

The June DC solicits intrigue me. Probably not going to pick everything up but it's more like I think it's cool certain books are existing and their new creative philosophy (if they follow up with it) should be commended.

tim1138

Check this interview with Orlando for Midnighter info, it's what pushed me over the edge from maybe to must read.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...ercent-lack-of-fear-100-percent-lack-of-shame

I wouldn't be surprised if Batwoman is the secret Bat-book that Tomasi is writing that will launch in October. To me, that and Supergirl were books that were clearly going to be relaunched and were just getting time off to retool so they could figure out exactly what they wanted to be. In the long run I think that move to California is really going to work out for the best for their line, they've kept key people (Mark Doyle) and are picking up a lot of new blood in the process. The breath of fresh air on the editorial side should be a good thing I think.

It's suspect just how similar midnighter and batman look in grayson. They are uncannily alike aside from his lack of ears on his mask

I wonder if they will allude to that or if it's just an art choice

Might get on black canary, that cover is too nice

tim1138

It's suspect just how similar midnighter and batman look in grayson. They are uncannily alike aside from his lack of ears on his mask

I wonder if they will allude to that or if it's just an art choice

Might get on black canary, that cover is too nice

That's how the character has always looked. Basically he was created as hardboiled mix of the Shadow and Batman by Warren Ellis for Stormwatch a million years ago when WildStorm still existed as an imprint. Historically he's been in a long-term relationship with Apollo (WildStorn's Superman analog), but for his solo title they are getting away from that so Midnighter can figure out who he really is without being defined by that relationship.

GH, read the Ellis 12 issue authority run and you'll be fine. Now if you love action team comics you should get all of Ellis's Wildstorm Stormwatch run. In there you get amazing team cape comics but the authority teams first appearances. Unfortunately this isn't available digital. But I see on IST the trades might still be there.

And MU had a great update. Xfactor, Avengers, first spider-Gwen appearance and more! 9 new issues to read.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Great MU update indeed!

Magneto #9 - March to Axis starts with Magneto getting his ass whooped by red skull's s-men (what a shit team name), from that first uncanny avengers arc. Still a great series, and even tho you guys say that Axis was another train wreck, I'm still excited about it.

All New X-Factor #14 - Girl's day off with Polaris, Danger and a visiting Wanda trying to get some half-sister time with Polaris. Fun book, fun story, fun read all around. I'll miss this book

X-Force #9 - my biggest surprise continues to deliver with the conclusion of the little military arc involving Pete Wisdom (remember him?). Amazing art as usual, and some funny Dr.Nemesis moments. Little zinger from Wisdom at the end for a future arc leaves me wanting more.

Ms.Marvel #8 - and we are back to form after the awful couple of issues with wolverine. Alphona is back on art thankfully, and coincidence or not, the book is good again. Super charming start of a new arc with Lockjaw moving in with Kamala and joining her on her hijinks. As much as I like the writing (well usually, those wolverine issues tho...) I have to admit this is another book that, for me, will live and die by its art, I can't imagine the book without Alphona in it.

And I still got Hawkeye, Spider-verse Gwen and Superior Foes to read!

Starman #10 - #16: A great end to the first omnibus. Loved the comparison Nash makes to
Grant and Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby.

The Times Past issue was good fun too, though I didn't know any of the other super heroes (except Jay Garrick).

Starman #10 - #16: A great end to the first omnibus. Loved the comparison Nash makes to
Grant and Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby.

The Times Past issue was good fun too, though I didn't know any of the other super heroes (except Jay Garrick).
And that is the secret best thing about starman. It gives you a DC history lesson and makes you fall in love with these characters that at the onset you would think are silly and not worth your time.

It's a love letter to DCs history.

And that is the secret best thing about starman. It gives you a DC history lesson and makes you fall in love with these characters that at the onset you would think are silly and not worth your time.

It's a love letter to DCs history.

Definitely. I've been looking up Dr. Mid-Nite and Hourman and Alan Scott on wiki. I am also seriously enjoying all the Shade appearances. I was looking his history up on wikipedia and saw that this Shade is different from the character in Shade, The Changing Man (another series I've been wanting to read).

I also like how a lot of seeds for what seem like future arcs are being strewn about in the middle of the running arcs.

Definitely. I've been looking up Dr. Mid-Nite and Hourman and Alan Scott on wiki. I am also seriously enjoying all the Shade appearances. I was looking his history up on wikipedia and saw that this Shade is different from the character in Shade, The Changing Man (another series I've been wanting to read).

I also like how a lot of seeds for what seem like future arcs are being strewn about in the middle of the running arcs.

Yea. Shade becomes a big fan favorite in the series. I also enjoy that DC essentially leaves these characters alone unless Robinson shows up to write them. It's a case where Id rather they not be used than to have some random writer show up and undo everything done in this series.

Also when you finish Starman you need to read JSA next. It starts off with Robinson with Johns and then Johns takes over and does a wonderful job. Another series that mixes the legacy with the new and it's great cape comic fun

tim1138

Yea. Shade becomes a big fan favorite in the series. I also enjoy that DC essentially leaves these characters alone unless Robinson shows up to write them. It's a case where Id rather they not be used than to have some random writer show up and undo everything done in this series.

Also when you finish Starman you need to read JSA next. It starts off with Robinson with Johns and then Johns takes over and does a wonderful job. Another series that mixes the legacy with the new and it's great cape comic fun

Yep, and the JSA omnibi DC has been releasing are extremely high quality books. Very well out together and pretty easy to read considering how huge they are.

GH, read the Ellis 12 issue authority run and you'll be fine. Now if you love action team comics you should get all of Ellis's Wildstorm Stormwatch run. In there you get amazing team cape comics but the authority teams first appearances. Unfortunately this isn't available digital. But I see on IST the trades might still be there.

I'll keep an eye out for these. Thanks.

Messi

Cameron Stewart draws some of the best women. I wish he was drawing and ongoing female cape book (Zatanna pls).

I love his warm up drawings he posts on twitter

10986286_1580656558887568_2025407729_n.jpg

He did this awesome Southern Cross one:

11033068_1422241098070703_583015540_n.jpg

Was I the only one who read Southern Cross?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-cancels-batgirl-joker-variant-at-artists-request

DC Entertainment:

We publish comic books about the greatest heroes in the world, and the most evil villains imaginable. The Joker variant covers for June are in recognition of the 75th anniversary of the Joker.
Regardless if fans like Rafael Albuquerque’s homage to Alan Moore’s THE KILLING JOKE graphic novel from 25 years ago, or find it inconsistent with the current tonality of the Batgirl books - threats of violence and harassment are wrong and have no place in comics or society.

We stand by our creative talent, and per Rafael’s request, DC Comics will not publish the Batgirl variant. – DC Entertainment

-_-

Top Bottom