• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Hey guys, I'm sure this question has been asked but with 38 pages it isn't exactly easy to find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to get into comics and am currently considering a subscription service. I want to avoid paying for multiple services if possible but I will if I have to. So in your opinion, what is the best one for:

DC Comics
Marvel Comics (I'm guessing their own service)
Both (or various publications)

For reference, I lean slightly DC. Also, it would be useful they had a decent iPad app.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hey guys, I'm sure this question has been asked but with 38 pages it isn't exactly easy to find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to get into comics and am currently considering a subscription service. I want to avoid paying for multiple services though. So in your opinion, what is the best one for:

DC Comics
Marvel Comics (I'm guessing their own service)
Both (or various publications)

For reference, I lean slightly DC. Also, it would be useful they had a decent iPad app.

Basically for subscription services, you have two options, Marvel Unlimited and Scribd. Marvel Unlimited is only Marvel but has a TON of stuff. Enough comics to keep you busy for a lifetime. Scribd is pretty new and doesn't have as much, but it's got stuff from Marvel and some indie publishers.
DC isn't a part of any subscription service.

Another pretty cheap digital option is buying stuff solely from Comixology sales. Comixology is always running massive sales for $1 per issue.

besada

Banned
Then just don't buy the damned cover. Show you outnumber the peple who buy the cover.

There. Problem solved. Better than forming twitter lynch mobs and harassing and bullying creators.

Anybody should be ashamed of how they handled it. You know how these progressive female designs got started? By Image sales. By money. By cash.

With the current trend in comics, creators are going to say fuck DC/Marvel and just write Image or drop comics all together. I mean how many of the elite comic book creators could easily say fuck comics and get tv pilots done?
People talk about what they like and don't like in comics. This has been true forever. This is the essential nature of the comic reader. They complain about comics. No one lynched anyone. And according to the writer on the book, the only threats came from folks in favor of the cover.

Creators are already saying fuck Marvel/DC, and it has nothing to do with people complaining on the internet, it has to do with moronic editorial policies that hem in their creativity and force them to regurgitate the same tepid super hero fist fights the big two have been selling for years. They get tired of telling the same dumb stories to people who freak out if anything ever changes, so they move onto Image and make much better comics, generally. And those comics? Many of them have really big female readerships, in part because there's no editor telling them they have to keep boob windows to keep a bunch of old comic readers happy.

Barrage

I checked in on comic sales for the first time in a long while, and... holy shit. 3 Books selling over 250K? Star Wars #1 doing Jim Lee X-Men numbers? The world has turned upside down (although to be far, the comics market is still VERY front-loaded).

Can someone tell me more about this Loot Crate shit,and how it could lead to a comic based on a Canadian Sci-Fi show doing that insane of a number?

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/31093/top-300-comics-actual-february-2015

Then just don't buy the damned cover. Show you outnumber the peple who buy the cover.

There. Problem solved. Better than forming twitter lynch mobs and harassing and bullying creators.

Anybody should be ashamed of how they handled it. You know how these progressive female designs got started? By Image sales. By money. By cash.

With the current trend in comics, creators are going to say fuck DC/Marvel and just write Image or drop comics all together. I mean how many of the elite comic book creators could easily say fuck comics and get tv pilots done?

Actually, when you decide not to purchase a product, letting the producer know why you didn't decide to purchase it is quite useful. Consumer feedback is, and always will be, useful. People only disagree with that when it's a change they don't like. Or did people stand silent about One More Day?

Oh, no... they did not.

And on harassment, Abuquerque and Stewart denied it existed, as many people came to the same conclusion you did.

It's an issue of an artist and a company responding to the people who actually read the book in question, but mostly it's an issue of DC editorial being the dumbest fucks ever to run a comic company. They've have repeatedly fucked around with Batgirl, in particular, from Gail Simone's firing, to this. They are wildly out of touch with the people actually buying this particular book, because they're mostly old men. And there's nothing wrong with being an old man -- I'm one.

Okay, I certainly won't argue about DC editorial being out of touch. The recent grim-dark Simone run on Batgirl was obviously not Simone writing Batgirl, but Simone channeling DC editorial writing Batgirl. I imagine because she had no choice. When did editorial become the new writers? They did the same thing to Blackman and Williams on Batwoman. They were writing a deep, believable and interesting lesbian relationship only for editorial to step in with the belief that superheroes should all be single. WAT?

Anyway, as far as the variant, I just don't think it should have been pulled. If it was the main cover for the book, that would be one thing, but that wasn't the case. There are plenty of variants that don't accurately depict what's inside a comic. Especially when DC does their themed-cover months. Selfies, Joker, Harley Quinn, Darwyn-Cooke-covers-everything... All kinds of variants, not all accurate representations of current storylines or even the tone of the book.

Kipp

I think it's just about time to move on from this Batgirl cover ordeal. Everybody talking about it is very set in their opinion, so it doesn't seem like there's any point in arguing. All it's doing is making this thread a very depressing place to be.

So how about it. Truce?

People talk about what they like and don't like in comics. This has been true forever. This is the essential nature of the comic reader. They complain about comics. No one lynched anyone. And according to the writer on the book, the only threats came from folks in favor of the cover.

Creators are already saying fuck Marvel/DC, and it has nothing to do with people complaining on the internet, it has to do with moronic editorial policies that hem in their creativity and force them to regurgitate the same tepid super hero fist fights the big two have been selling for years. They get tired of telling the same dumb stories to people who freak out if anything ever changes, so they move onto image and make much better comics, generally. And those comics? Many of them have really big female readerships, because there's no editor telling them they have to keep boob windows to keep a bunch of old comic readers happy.

You mean Power Girl? One of the first big two comics to have a large female readership?

And I have no problem saying DC/Marvel editorial should be cleaned heavily.

The problem is this is seen as caving in to harassment and bullying and FYI actually came from a minority.

Most people were in support of the cover. And had the don't like it, don't buy it.

But with creators being harassed and bullied and people trying to censor art, creators are just going to say fuck it on comics as a whole.

PsychBat!

Banned
I think it's just about time to move on from this Batgirl cover ordeal. Everybody talking about it is very set in their opinion, so it doesn't seem like there's any point in arguing. All it's doing is making this thread a very depressing place to be.

So how about it. Truce?

Yeah, I'm done with it.

I hate the bait posts.

So how about it. Truce?

Fine, fine... Truce.
except for Messi. :D

I'm tired of talking about it now anyway.

So how about it. Truce?

f no and f u

yes pls

besada

Banned
When did editorial become the new writers? They did the same thing to Blackman and Williams on Batwoman. They were writing a deep, believable and interesting lesbian relationship only for editorial to step in with the belief that superheroes should all be single. WAT?

It started in 2002, with the departure of Jeanette Khan and the ascendence of Dan "the douche" Didio, and his cohort Geoff "GL Movie" Johns. DC lost a lot of good editors at that time, some due to policy disputes, and some who just passed away. In the wake of it, they alienated a lot of writers, too, by letting Geoff Johns stick his dick in everyone's books.

DC should have promoted Karen Berger into Jeanette Khan's place. I mean, she was only the visionary of Vertigo, who brought Sandman and the rest of the line to DC.

I have a hard time believing DC is going to get significantly better so long as Didio and Johns are holding the reins, personally. And Warner cares more about churning out properties that can be made into TV shows and movies than it does about making good comics.

Anyway, as far as the variant, I just don't think it should have been pulled. If it was the main cover for the book, that would be one thing, but that wasn't the case. There are plenty of variants that don't accurately depict what's inside a comic. Especially when DC does their themed-cover months. Selfies, Joker, Harley Quinn, Darwyn-Cooke-covers-everything... All kinds of variants, not all accurate representations of current storylines or even the tone of the book.
The problem was that it was actively turning off the exact demo that the book is targeted at. A variant cover that's a whimsical take on a grimdark character doesn't upset anyone, but if you do a cover of Ms. Marvel murdering a puppy, it's going to upset the young female readership they're actually selling the book to. Again, I feel terrible for Rafael, as DC editorial basically stuck him in the cross hairs, but Stewart is trying to make a book for young women readers, one that's pretty light hearted, and he doesn't want them rolling into a comic store seeing this and maybe making the erroneous conclusion that their book has been replaced by something grim and ugly.

Kipp

Yeah, I'm done with it.

I hate the bait posts.

Fine, fine... Truce.
except for Messi. :D

I'm tired of talking about it now anyway.

f no and f u

yes pls

Wooooooooooooohoooo!
I trust that besada will enforce the truce with bans.

Kipp: Bringer of Peace.

Who would've thought.

Would you believe that just a few months ago, this was me?

eCk58U8.png

And now look at me.
The times are a-changin'.

besada

Banned
Yeah, I've said about as much as I have to say about it too.

I read the first 8 issues of Grayson recently. I liked them. I was surprised, but I genuinely liked them.

On the other hand, I read all forty issues of Swamp Thing. Wow, does it fall apart once Soule takes over.

Kipp

Yes, please. Let's move on to other, more pressing matters:

Like the fact that fucking SUB-DIEGO IS GETTING A TPB RELEASE.

As a San Diegan, would I take great pleasure in reading this? Or is it just a nondescript coastal setting?

Also, what is it about this arc that you like so much? I feel like I remember hearing good things about it, but my memory is awful. I've never read an Aquaman story, so this could be a good start.

Finally got around to reading Ms. Marvel #13. Glad there was a good bit of slice-of-life this issue. Also happy that dumb Inventor arc is over.

Owzers

So how about it. Truce?

DC needs a Dr. Light variant cover month.

besada

Banned
Speaking of swamp thing I see dc is releasing a swamp thing trade by morrison. Any good?
If it's the four issue arc he did, it's sort of interesting, but not exactly great. It came after Nancy Collins's run went off the rails and led into Millar's run, which is okay, but not great.

For my money, the best Swampy is of course, Alan Moore's, but I also like the Rick Veitch and Doug Wheeler stuff immediately after it. Editorial fucked up Veitch's story, but Wheeler did what he could to save it and do something interesting, plus it has beautiful art by Alfredo Alcala.

As a San Diegan, would I take great pleasure in reading this? Or is it just a nondescript coastal setting?

Also, what is it about this arc that you like so much? I feel like I remember hearing good things about it, but my memory is awful. I've never read an Aquaman story, so this could be a good start.

Don't worry, it is based in San Diego. I won't spoil too much, but basically a giant earthquake devastates the city, resulting in half of it sinking underwater.

One night, a kid comes walking out of the sea onto the beach and dies soon after. His body is examined and it's discovered that the kid has gills. Sometime after, a woman comes onto land, but Aquaman is able to get her into water and have her explain what's happened. Somehow, the people who were believed to have died in the quake have survived and are all underwater with the wrecked half of San Diego. However, they've got the same condition the kid had - they can only live underwater, and they can never come home.

Will Pfeifer and Pat Gleason just put in really good work on the story. It's considered a really underrated gem from the mid-2000s, and I was surprised to see that it actually got a collection. It was rumored, but I wasn't sure if it was actually gonna come out.

For my money, the best Swampy is of course, Alan Moore's, but I also like the Rick Veitch and Doug Wheeler stuff immediately after it. Editorial fucked up Veitch's story, but Wheeler did what he could to save it and do something interesting, plus it has beautiful art by Alfredo Alcala.

Was the Brian K. Vaughan run any good?

FoneBone

if i recall, the arc is titled "American Tidal"

If it's the four issue arc he did, it's sort of interesting, but not exactly great. It came after Nancy Collins's run went off the rails and led into Millar's run, which is okay, but not great.

Thanks. I've only read Alan Moores run and the new 52 series. Who did the daughter of swamp thing run?

Yes, please. Let's move on to other, more pressing matters:

Like the fact that fucking SUB-DIEGO IS GETTING A TPB RELEASE.

I'm down. I loved the idea. Much like I loved Green Arrow randomly having a big forest in the middle of his city.

Yeah, I've said about as much as I have to say about it too.

I read the first 8 issues of Grayson recently. I liked them. I was surprised, but I genuinely liked them.

Dick Grayson will always be the best.

It's an issue of an artist and a company responding to the people who actually read the book in question, but mostly it's an issue of DC editorial being the dumbest fucks ever to run a comic company. They've have repeatedly fucked around with Batgirl, in particular, from Gail Simone's firing, to this. They are wildly out of touch with the people actually buying this particular book, because they're mostly old men. And there's nothing wrong with being an old man -- I'm one. But when you're attempting to bring a fresh readership into comics, and you hire people to do that, you maybe should check with them before you throw a call back to a completely different style on their book. That cover is straight out of the grimdark 90's. Which is fine, but it is a complete mismatch with the book they're actually selling now. Current Batgirl is bright and shiny, not grimdark. Not Raphael Albuquerque's fault, but DC editorial's fault.

As for being able to buy the cover, I suspect it will show up somewhere soon, either at cons or as part of some other book, where it fits better.

Uh that cover has nothing to do with the 90s. It's a callback to the cynical 80s

besada

Banned
Was the Brian K. Vaughan run any good?

Thanks. I've only read Alan Moores run and the new 52 series. Who did the daughter of swamp thing run?
Vaughn's Swamp Thing was about Tefe Holland, and it's one of my favorites with a caveat -- there's no real ending. But what's there is really interesting. Swampy's holed up in a love shack with Abby not giving a fuck, and it's all about Tefe's mad adventures, as she tries to decide if the human race should be obliterated. After Vaughan there's a series of writers, including Andy Diggle, and then the book gets canceled for low sales.

Personally, I've read all of it, but if you don't want to eat the whole thing, start at Moore and stop after Vaughan, possibly skipping Collins And Millar, unless you like pirates and voodoo, and parliaments of air, fire, and water. Also, Vaughan basically disregards most of Collins and Millar, so skipping them won't hurt you much.

Hi guys!

*found y'all secret base!!!!* >:D

I just started to pick up Crossed yesterday :D Does that count? ..... Uh.... Can I post here or do I have to accumulate enough cool creds first?

Exhibit A for your consideration for my posting rights: I own very old X-Men comics :D And .... uh, Excalibur ! ^____^

besada

Banned
Hi guys!

I just started to pick up Crossed yesterday :D Does that count? ..... Uh.... Can I post here or do I have to accumulate enough cool creds first?

Exhibit A for your consideration for my posting rights: I own very old X-Men comics :D And .... uh, Excalibur ! ^____^
Welcome, and of course you can post here. But you will go broke when people start giving you comic suggestions.

I hate when my evenings get hijacked by unexpected Internet drama. When it ends it feels so empty and I think of all the comics, shows, games I could have consumed Instead. Off to MU to read comics before passing out

Hi guys!

welcome! anyone who has ever had a passing glance at a comic book can post here but Crossed and X-Men are def enough cred anyway

besada

Banned
I hate when my evenings get hijacked by unexpected Internet drama. When it ends it feels so empty and I think of all the comics, shows, games I could have consumed Instead. Off to MU to read comics before passing out
I could have been reading Stitched. Well, the second, non-Garth Ennis, Stitched, so I'm probably not missing that much.

Holy shit Gotham By Midnigt #1 was really good. One questin though is this book a spinoff of something? Are we supposed to already know these characters that corrigan is working with? And how does he already know Batman (and batman knows he's the specter)?

Holy shit Gotham By Midnigt #1 was really good. One questin though is this book a spinoff of something? Are we supposed to already know these characters that corrigan is working with? And how does he already know Batman (and batman knows he's the specter)?
Corrigan showed up for some issues in Batman Eternal, but even there Batman seemed to know he was the specter. The rest to my knowledge are all new characters. But I might be wrong

Another great All new Xfactor issue. Man PAD just nails those characters hanging out not doing much issues. Half his Maddrox Xfactor run was like that. I still contend if he didn't drag out the start of this run the book would still be going. The previous fans that kept it going weren't seeing this Xfactor and lost faith in the run. If I wasn't reading it on MU u I would have probably dropped it after a couple issues and I was a Big fan of the Madrox run.

ElNarez

Banned

it's all-new, so, don't worry, you're good to go.

PS: glad Rafael and the rest of the people at DC realized the harm the cover did, and would do if it made it to shops, was just not worth it. yay for empathy.

Squire

Banned
Two issues left in Vol. 3 of Hawkeye. I'm really digging these Kate stories, but at the same time, I'm eager to see what Clint us up to. I don't think I can wade for the last trade, so I just get singles after this and the rest of you in the endless wait for HL3 issue #22.

Been using the free codes CMX has going around. Got Sex Criminals #1 yesterday. I was curious about that one in particular already and rfire Hawkeye. Now I can really see that working out for Fraction, so if this first issue is good, I'll probably get the two trades for it.

And still planning on the stuff you guys recommended and I mentioned previously.

PS: glad Rafael and the rest of the people at DC realized the harm the cover did, and would do if it made it to shops, was just not worth it. yay for empathy.

Yes, very much seconded.

Nudull

Banned
What is this John Cassady never finishing thing coming from? Granted, I only really know him from Astonishing X-Men and Uncanny Avengers.

Really good interview with Brian Michael Bendis on the Nerdist Podcast this week! Covered a fair bit of stuff I didn't know about him.

Seems like a genuine, pleasant guy even if his writing has gone off the boil a bit, probably down to all the multiple things going on in his life as discussed here!

Top Bottom