• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Prozel

You definitely want to pick up Snyder's run on Batman, and I mean all of it. Start from issue 1 of the N52 launch for it. You'll also want to check out Johns' short lived but awesome run on Superman, and pick up Action Comics once Pak took over writing duties on it. GH already recommended Batman and Robin, and Aquaman, those are also series you want to read from issue 1.

Personally I'd also recommend Superman/Wonder Woman, I think its been a solid and enjoyable read.

Just a heads up about WW the run with the N52 starts of really solid and then drags. It ends up being a story that lasts 36/7 issues and could definitely have been told in way fewer issues. There's moments of brilliance there, but editorial should have made them finish the arc and move on.

Thanks sound good. I think what I like with DC now, as stupids as it sounds, when I get really psyched after reading some issues I can fire up my PS4, boot up Injustice, and take a couple of rounds myself. Thats beside the fact that the comics itself are a great read of course.

MvC3 is not an option for me due not owning X360/PS3.

tim1138

Has anyone seen the June DC solicits? Legit excited for that Dr. Fate book.

I'm super stoked for that book, especially after Andy Khouri (the books editor) (un?)intentionally revealed that the main character is Arab-American. Given the background of the Helmet of Nabu, I thought that was a great decision by Robinson in Earth-2 when he introduced Khalid, and I'm happy to see them continue along those lines for this new book.

Thanks sound good. I think what I like with DC now, as stupids as it sounds, when I get really psyched after reading some issues I can fire up my PS4, boot up Injustice, and take a couple of rounds myself. Thats beside the fact that the comics itself are a great read of course.

MvC3 is not an option for me due not owning X360/PS3.

On that note you might also consider the Injustice trades. It's a video game tie in comic but it's legit amazing. Like, if the game didn't exist, it'd easily stand (as it does) as just another awesome Elseworlds story.

I'm excited for a lot of the books, and I have feeling that "Truth" is going to be about
the world finding out that Clark Kent is Superman.
That's just the vibe I'm getting from it.

olympia

I'm super stoked for that book, especially after Andy Khouri (the books editor) (un?)intentionally revealed that the main character is Arab-American. Given the background of the Helmet of Nabu, I thought that was a great decision by Robinson in Earth-2 when he introduced Khalid, and I'm happy to see them continue along those lines for this new book.

Agreed! Pretty stoked for Sonny Liew's artwork, too. I hope it becomes a sleeper hit.

I'm excited for a lot of the books, and I have feeling that "Truth" is going to be about
the world finding out that Clark Kent is Superman.
That's just the vibe I'm getting from it.

I can dig that.

Tizoc

thankie for welcome, besada and serpentine :D

i donno if i like it or not yet.... i've just gotten to chapter 5.

YESH IT BE ALAN DAVIS ONES <3 i love love love it. Such trippy volumes <3

If you want any recommendations we'll gladly offer them for you =3
Enjoy your books in the meantime and welcome to the club~

Prozel

On that note you might also consider the Injustice trades. It's a video game tie in comic but it's legit amazing. Like, if the game didn't exist, it'd easily stand (as it does) as just another awesome Elseworlds story.

Oh ffs this will ruin me :D

If you haven't already, check out Green Lantern Reading Order for how to dive into the Lanternverse. If you wanna just jump in, June will see the relaunch of Green Lantern as Green Lantern: Lost Army.

If you enjoy the Justice League stuff, also consider the Forever Evil trade.

Would it feel out of context if I began GL with the New 52 runs?

Would it feel out of context if I began GL with the New 52 runs?

You can but it is probably the least new reader friendly as they more or less didn't really reboot like most of the New 52 did at their #1s, so it will reference characters and events you may only have basic knowledge of. You'll want to be willing to Wikipedia things now and then.

Also, they tend to get caught up in crossover hell the most so you'll end up pulling all four of the Lantern titles for the complete story. It's the worst offender in that regard.

Even though I miss the concept of a JSA Earth that never really came to be, this whole earth 2 anything can happen and we'll just go nuts has been wildly entertaining.

Yep. Worlds End has been great. I literally have no idea what is going to happen and if I hadn't been spoiled by solicits I wouldn't know whom will come out of this and what the new status quo will be.

tim1138

Agreed! Pretty stoked for Sonny Liew's artwork, too. I hope it becomes a sleeper hit.

You and me both, the concept drawings he's shared online have been great. Dr Fate and Midnighter are the two books from this relaunch that I'm pulling for the hardest to become hits.

Zombine

Banned
Who called it? Cassaday is leaving Star Wars after the first arc. Can't say I'm surprised but I hope they pick up someone awesome to replace him. I hope Samnee jumps on a book for an arc or two.

Also, Nameless is a gorgeous book.

tim1138

Who called it? Cassaday is leaving Star Wars after the first arc. Can't say I'm surprised but I hope they pick up someone awesome to replace him. I hope Samnee jumps on a book for an arc or two.

Anyone who knew anything about Cassaday?

You should see the page fromantic the third issue of Nameless that Burnham posted last night, straight up Moebius looking. He has elevated his craft so much on this book.

Prozel

You can but it is probably the least new reader friendly as they more or less didn't really reboot like most of the New 52 did at their #1s, so it will reference characters and events you may only have basic knowledge of. You'll want to be willing to Wikipedia things now and then.

Also, they tend to get caught up in crossover hell the most so you'll end up pulling all four of the Lantern titles for the complete story. It's the worst offender in that regard.

Well okay. I'd like to dig but right I feel I have much to cover. I'm pretty new to DC comics (I've read a ton of Marvel though).

Thank God for Loot Crate. How else do you get almost 500k sales on Orphan Black; the #1 comic of February.
I hope that show wasn't a one season wonder.

Do you read digital? If so wait for the Comixology digital sales. DCs weekly sale usually hits every Tuesday. You can get 99cent issues or heavily discounted digital trades.

If you buy physical trades go to instocktrades.com. It's the most cost effective and they're the best in their shipping packaging.

Zombine

Banned
Anyone who knew anything about Cassaday?

You should see the page fromantic the third issue of Nameless that Burnham posted last night, straight up Moebius looking. He has elevated his craft so much on this book.

I get some major Moebius vibes from him as well. I was looking for the page and I couldn't seem to find it.

God is dead. 68k people bought the $4.99 Harley Quinn Valentines Special. The Harley insanity is real.

Well okay. I'd like to dig but right I feel I have much to cover. I'm pretty new to DC comics (I've read a ton of Marvel though).

Yeah it's just the unfortunate reality of the story being managed by Johns for so long; it has a consistent through line so it's hard to start anywhere but the beginning.

tim1138

I get some major Moebius vibes from him as well. I was looking for the page and I couldn't seem to find it.

I dunno how to link to tweets on mobile, but it's the third and fourth photos if you look at his twitter feed (@theBurnham). One is the finished page and one is the pencils, it's a ship flying over some mountains.

Dunbar

Going through my future pulls and realized Convergence starts 2 weeks from tomorrow. I still don't have a checklist or anything figured out about which two-shots I want to pull. At this point I'm inclined to skip all of them and read the main series. It probably doesn't help that I started reading DC with the New 52 so I have no clue about which "era" characters are which in the two-shots and why I should read them. The more I look at the solicits and stuff, the more I think Convergence just isn't for readers like me.

The Star Wars death tumble begins. Down 84% from issue #1 to #2. Dat Marvel staying powah.

Still at 160k for #2. Looking forward to how much the next couple drop-offs are.

Yes to this whole post.

I am excited to see where Samnee goes,, I shall follow. He is a cool as guy also.

And Nameless has been awesome. Right up my alley fasho.

Well this is impressive.

CAS8Gx-U8AAjc38.jpg

Zombine

Banned
I dunno how to link to tweets on mobile, but it's the third and fourth photos if you look at his twitter feed (@theBurnham). One is the finished page and one is the pencils, it's a ship flying over some mountains.

WOW!

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBurnham/status/577590791746424834

I would love to buy this and frame it.

Edit: I have this new bad habit where I buy a crap ton of comic pages from my favorite artists. It's a bigger bonus for me when they come signed.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Basically for subscription services, you have two options, Marvel Unlimited and Scribd. Marvel Unlimited is only Marvel but has a TON of stuff. Enough comics to keep you busy for a lifetime. Scribd is pretty new and doesn't have as much, but it's got stuff from Marvel and some indie publishers.
DC isn't a part of any subscription service.

Another pretty cheap digital option is buying stuff solely from Comixology sales. Comixology is always running massive sales for $1 per issue.
Thanks for the suggestions. Think I'll give Marvel Unlimited a try. Kind of strange DC isn't apart of any service. Kindly of cagey of them.

That strikes me as more of a Marvel thing than a DC thing. Almost everything Marvel is doing at the moment revolves directly around their movies, how they can tie into their movies, almost at the expense of everything else. And I'd hardley call the current DC movie roster (dat timetable) or their TV shows (which have been almost universally good, imo) a churn. Outside of a brief Green Arrow hiccup their comics haven't been slavishly trying to align with their movies or TV shows, like a certain other publishing group.

kewl when's the marvel western movie

Cyborg is a book that I hope is good and has a long run. I'm buying all that shit, but I can't get excited by Paul Levitz and Dan Jurgens books in 2015. We Is athe Robins should've been a Bluebird and Spoiler teamup book.....

I like the whole Lantern universe. Flash is cool . Batman's always a winner for me. Actually the whole Bat Family is something I'm interested in. I'm eyeing Bat, Detective Comic, NIghtwing and Batman and Robin.

That said I will settle with some more JL first. That stuff was awesome.

I've enjoyed B&R, no to DC, Batman is probably the best New 52 run imo. If you like JL, pick up Shazam vol1 which is also by Johns and has great story. Once you get further into JL, pick up Forever Evil as well.

If you're looking for something more than that but still in Justice League I'd say pick up Azzarello's WW and Aquaman. I really didn't care for either of those characters until I picked up the first volume of each and was hooked.

There's a lot more recs but they are outside of the "core" DC universe. Swamp Thing is also by Snyder who writes mainline Batman and is good.

Yup I'm looking forward to reading the preview for it if it's available. Was disappointed to hear it wasn't Khalid because I wanted to see his character developed more, but was happy when I learned it was Earth-0. Also looking forward to Cyborg, MMH, and the new creative on Supes.

God is dead. 68k people bought the $4.99 Harley Quinn Valentines Special. The Harley insanity is real.

Yeah it's just the unfortunate reality of the story being managed by Johns for so long; it has a consistent through line so it's hard to start anywhere but the beginning.

Jesus, I first read that as though there was a Harley Quinn special of God is Dead!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Stop this Nameless talk. It hurts too much. I don't want to have to wait for the OHC.
Burnham was already one of my top 3 artists of all time, and here he goes improving his craft even further. Can't handle it.

Don't worry, it is based in San Diego. I won't spoil too much, but basically a giant earthquake devastates the city, resulting in half of it sinking underwater.

One night, a kid comes walking out of the sea onto the beach and dies soon after. His body is examined and it's discovered that the kid has gills. Sometime after, a woman comes onto land, but Aquaman is able to get her into water and have her explain what's happened. Somehow, the people who were believed to have died in the quake have survived and are all underwater with the wrecked half of San Diego. However, they've got the same condition the kid had - they can only live underwater, and they can never come home.

Will Pfeifer and Pat Gleason just put in really good work on the story. It's considered a really underrated gem from the mid-2000s, and I was surprised to see that it actually got a collection. It was rumored, but I wasn't sure if it was actually gonna come out.

Sweet. I'll definitely consider picking it up when it comes out.

Messi

Cyborg is a book that I hope is good and has a long run. I'm buying all that shit, but I can't get excited by Paul Levitz and Dan Jurgens books in 2015. We Is athe Robins should've been a Bluebird and Spoiler teamup book.....

I predict Cyborg is gone in 12 issues and that is being generous. I would love a Bluebird and Spoiler book tho.

Oh snap. In.

Top Bottom