• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Mudcrab

So let me get this straight. All of reality has crashed together down into a single world and everything is on the precipice of oblivion and people are seriously giving a fuck about making kids go to school?

Lol wut.

HOW CAN A SCHOOL BE PRESTIGIOUS ON A WORLD THAT DIDN'T EXIST UNTIL LIKE THE DAY BEFORE?

You dare question Rabum Alal?

All hope lies in Doom.
SCWARS2015004-AlexRoss-80f71.jpg

Damn this cover. The hype is real.

You dare question Rabum Alal?

Like nothing about the concept of Secret Wars makes any sense. Why isn't every book's solicitation like; The characters of this book are trying to figure out what the fuck happened and how to undo it. Instead it's like, hey, fuck it. Let's have a siesta and become cops or hunt down witches or go on a vacation or something.

tim1138

Like nothing about the concept of Secret Wars makes any sense. Why isn't every book's solicitation like; The characters of this book are trying to figure out what the fuck happened and how to undo it. Instead it's like, hey, fuck it. Let's have a siesta and become cops or hunt down witches or something.

I would so buy Secret Wars: Uncanny Siesta Men

Zombine

Banned
Marvel Zombies will be the best selling Secret Wars book released. I can already hear people rolling their quarters to buy the book.

Lol

:(

Did anyone actually drop Batgirl or is everyone finishing the arc? And not because of the cover but because of the actual writing?

*raises hand* Though I think I left it on my list that I posted here I dropped it. I'll flip through a friends copy to see what happens. The writing is terrible though. The sooner they get it away from Cameron Stewart the better.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Like nothing about the concept of Secret Wars makes any sense. Why isn't every book's solicitation like; The characters of this book are trying to figure out what the fuck happened and how to undo it. Instead it's like, hey, fuck it. Let's have a siesta and become cops or hunt down witches or go on a vacation or something.
Maybe because the Beyonder will once again explain the rules of his little game? I dunno, when I would dead on a daily basis with cosmic etienitys and superpowered maniacs, this stuff wouldnt suprise me that much.

Also, most of the books sounds like the heros of other universes are first and foremost unvolved in the Tie-Ins.

Maybe we actually need to read the books before we can make a final statement how much of this stuff makes sense.

Zombine

Banned
*raises hand* Though I think I left it on my list that I posted here I dropped it. I'll flip through a friends copy to see what happens. The writing is terrible though. The sooner they get it away from Cameron Stewart the better.

I'd like to see Batgirl written by Stjepan Sejic.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Renew Your Vows solicit is tugging at my heart

:'( please let Peter be happy for once
Forget it. The text on Spider-Man Crawlspace sounds to me, that this stuff is just a red hering and the focus will be on Eddie Brock. Because it will be once again the final Eddie Brock story.

My wife is in love with Babs Tarr's art so even if I don't want to read it anymore, it's still going to be in my house.

PsychBat!

Banned
Secret Wars #4
VARIANT COVER by ERICA HENDERSON
AVENGERS VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SAMNEE
VARIANT COVER BY ESAD RIBIC
VARIANT COVER BY Jim Starlin

motherFUCK!

Mudcrab

If you've been reading the actual books that are setting up Secret Wars not only is it starting to make sense, it's absolutely thrilling as it all comes together.

Hickman's been planning this for years.

My wife is in love with Babs Tarr's art so even if I don't want to read it anymore, it's still going to be in my house.

I think she's a great artist, I'm still not convinced she's a great fit for Batgirl though. That's besides the point though, not even the good art can save that book for me. I have from the launch of the N52 till like issue 37/8, its just too poorly written for me. The character is so off, I can't give money to some one who fails so hard at understanding and writing a character.

A lot of Ant Sized variants. Wonder why?

Also, Squirrel Girl, Moon Knight, the Spider Folks aren't affected aside from Spider Gwen? The fuck? Also, finally they merged 616 Quake with Skye.
They merged 616 Quake and Skye? I thought DC was the one making their comics like movies?

Dunbar

Did anyone actually drop Batgirl or is everyone finishing the arc? And not because of the cover but because of the actual writing?
Regardless of whatever weird controversies have been associated with the art or the writing, I like the book a lot and I have no plans to drop it any time soon. It's one of my favorite DC books.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They merged 616 Quake and Skye? I thought DC was the one making their comics like movies?
Like which movies should DC their comics make? It isnt like there are many to choose from. (Still, they changed Supes costume to fit with MoS...)
Its more that they make all their comics like their tv shows.

I dont like this, too, but when this thread were made in the 90s, we would make this bullshit talk ever month because DC brought Harley Quinn from a animates TV show to the comics... How could they dare? We should reasearch which idiot made this discussion and send Messi to where he lives.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I don't think we're done with Zero. It's going to end up on TV. I'm betting on it.

He's been working on that for a little while at this point, and that's rad, but Zero is a super important and special comic that's pulling off shit that you can only do in the comics medium. I'm all for the tv adaptation, but it ain't the same.

It's okay, Ian Bertram issue will ease the pain.

Takuan

Quick question on variant covers, purely out of curiosity: in the olden days when I used to frequent a local shop, I'd always see variant covers command a huge premium ($20) over the standard version, even on day one of release. Is this the case everywhere, or do some shops allow customers to purchase these at cover price or near it?

Is he about RKO Venom?!

frye

He's been working on that for a little while at this point, and that's rad, but Zero is a super important and special comic that's pulling off shit that you can only do in the comics medium. I'm all for the tv adaptation, but it ain't the same.

It's okay, Ian Bertram issue will ease the pain.

I think he's written a pilot but no one picked it up. It's on one of those studio bigwig lists so maybe it'll get a shot next year.

Anyways speaking of Zero if you look at the early interviews Connor Willumsen was supposed to draw an issue at some point so it's too bad that's definitely never happening now. Stathis Tsemberlidi of the Decadence crew is gonna do #16 tho and you guys are gonna lose your shittt

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn... Zero is ending. It doesn't really feel like the story's developed much...

I would like a way to support these comics sooner rather than later, but I can't really justify the economics of buying digital singles and then the trade later. I can't muster the will to read anything digital on my laptop. I bought Seaguy like 3 years ago and still haven't looked at them.

Honestly, I'd be down for some method where I just pay for the trades upfront or something, even with the odd risk of an occasional book somehow disappearing before the trade is produced.

Owzers

I liked Zero #1 a lot so i bought the trade, never read the trade, and haven't bought vol 2 yet. I can't even kill the industry through the approved method.

I dropped it 3 issues in so i could trade wait but i might as well pick up the rest of the arc, bc i was enjoying it fine.

With that said, holy fuck. Imagine a Rucka Bond or freaking Brubacker. My heart.
they basically do that stuff already, though, without the Bond name. It'd be like some c-tier Boom/IDW book if it did exist

Chris Burnham x Ramon Villalobos dominating the comics game after this drops. Also, really excited for more Burnham writing after his fun ass Batman, Inc. issue.
yasssss based-ass Burnham and Villalobos

ReAxion

Tula Lotay may be the best possible send-off for Zero, tho.

Quick question on variant covers, purely out of curiosity: in the olden days when I used to frequent a local shop, I'd always see variant covers command a huge premium ($20) over the standard version, even on day one of release. Is this the case everywhere, or do some shops allow customers to purchase these at cover price or near it?

Kinda depends on the exclusivity of the cover. Like sometimes they have to order 50 or 100 books or whatever to get just one issue of the variant.

tim1138

It's a damn shame we never got a Burnham issue of Zero. I know the two had talked about working together last year, but Burnham was too busy with Nameless.

Top Bottom