• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

I dropped the book ages ago so I can't comment on what the writing is like now, but when I followed it I thought it bordered on parody. It was every West Coast stereotype from 90s movies and music all thrown together for "authenticity." I thought it was &!?&@ wack, esé.

To be fair, we grew up in Argentina. 90s movies might be his main reference point for the West Coast.

Which begs the question of why he's trying to tackle that scene in the first place. Write what you know, and all that.

My old high school classmate Felipe Smith is writing the current All-New Ghost Rider run and you should definitely
NOT
start there.
Is he Hispanic or from LA/south cali? He writes characters very uhh stereotypically so I wouldnt bet on it but I wanna know.

Edit: ah he's from Argentina.I see. Maybe Marvel should let a Mexican write about Mexicans from time to time? Just a thought. completely unrelated note: I'm mexican. I'd like to write comics drawn by tradd moore!

Zombine

Banned
Is he nice?

He reminded me of Tim Curry from IT.

Definitely was not expecting Zero to go that route, but I dig it.

305303.jpg

And thus my theory about Punisher fans is gosh-darn correct. Punisher is the worst, and Punisher fans are the worst. And like, for as much my hate for Rogue is well-publicized on these here boards, I hate Punisher even more. Fuck him, fuck his guns, fuck his shitty fucking skull shirts, fuck everything about him.

garyoldmangettingheldback.gif

The thing it needs most of all is a "show me what I've not already read in my purchases" with "let me have Spotify-esque reading lists which can be shared and imported from social media so someone can build things like the Avengers Infinity reading chart into the app" close behind.

That's a good idea

It would also be nice if looking for an author or artist brought up specific issues they worked on, as opposed to just linking you to the series and forcing you to try and find them yourself

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
This is clearly the next logical step in my career.

That image is awesome, and now if somebody could change "bad science" to "bad writing", we'd have the perfect Comics-GAF mantra that we can all ignore consistently and constantly.

Cheska

Wow, so Chrononauts was excellent! As if I could ever get enough SGM, but Millar definitely brought some good stuff to the table too.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yea, it's a proper good Superman comic

Fully agreed. It's a one-and-done arc but Johns and JRJR crafted the best Superman story since the new52 dropped. I'd like to re-read Snyder/Lee's Superman Unchained and then this Johns/JRJR arc because they both take the "another Superman but this one's bad" trope, but one is incredibly successful (johns/JRJR) and the other is a fucking turd (Snyder/Lee).

Man Superman was so good today

Why did Johns have to go and drop the mic? I'll give the new team a shot but damn, today's issue. It captures what's so great about Superman.

Starman: #17-#20, Showcase 95 (#12) and Showcase 96 (#4/#5): The Shade issues continue to be great. The David Knight conversation issue was fun. The issue with the first meeting of Starman and The Mist was very well written, with Shade narrating. Like gketter said, some parts feel like a documentary of golden age DC.
And more importantly, Wesley Dodds and Dian! They are old, and still together and still adorable. This is going to be a great arc.

Zombine

Banned
Walking Dead has clearly moved onto a bi-weekly release schedule. The book drops again next week as well. It's about time they bumped it up a bit, because the show would eventually lap the book.

Vito

Banned
Wow, so Chrononauts was excellent! As if I could ever get enough SGM, but Millar definitely brought some good stuff to the table too.

Whenever I peak in this thread I never see any love for the guy, glad to see I'm wrong.

Ok serious question for Comic GAF, is there a decent news site for following US comics (for a casual like myself)? I once asked on twitter and got recommended Comics Alliance, so please don't make me regret asking GAF. :(

Whenever I peak in this thread I never see any love for the guy, glad to see I'm wrong.

Ok serious question for Comic GAF, is there a decent news site for following US comics (for a casual like myself)? I once asked on twitter and got recommended Comics Alliance, so please don't make me regret asking GAF. :(

ComicsAlliance is dece'. I hate Newsarama, and CBR also kinda sucks but for casually following i guess it's fine

frye

Fully agreed. It's a one-and-done arc but Johns and JRJR crafted the best Superman story since the new52 dropped. I'd like to re-read Snyder/Lee's Superman Unchained and then this Johns/JRJR arc because they both take the "another Superman but this one's bad" trope, but one is incredibly successful (johns/JRJR) and the other is a fucking turd (Snyder/Lee).

I thought the last two issues before this kind of completely dropped the ball tbh, the entire thing with "I blame you for everything Superman!!!" left a sour taste in my mouth. Like "right Geoff Johns wrote this, huh." I did like the fallout of his new ~super flare~ though and the stuff with Jimmy at the end, both of which were carried through nicely this issue.

tim1138

I really like Multiversity Comics.

Is he Hispanic or from LA/south cali? He writes characters very uhh stereotypically so I wouldnt bet on it but I wanna know.

Edit: ah he's from Argentina.I see. Maybe Marvel should let a Mexican write about Mexicans from time to time? Just a thought. completely unrelated note: I'm mexican. I'd like to write comics drawn by tradd moore!

It's a bit more complicated than that. Most of us down there were mutts from all over the place. He was Jamaican/American. I don't think he had any ties to Mexico. Most of our classmates were international students from the US, Europe, Asia, South America...wherever.

I spent 12+ years down there, and after a certain period of time you go rogue and sort of choose your own adventure in terms of answering, "Where are you from?"

Right? Nothing gross or uncomfortable, I forgot I was reading a Millar comic.

I give him three issues tops until our first rape scene. :(

It's a bit more complicated than that. Most of us down there were mutts from all over the place. He was Jamaican/American. I don't think he had any ties to Mexico. Most of our classmates were international students from the US, Europe, Asia, South America...wherever.

I spent 12+ years down there, and after a certain period of time you go rogue and sort of choose your own adventure in terms of answering, "Where are you from?"

Rereading my post I think I may have come off a bit harsh in a way. I just want to clear something up. I can't remember if the characters in GR are explicitly stated to be Mexican or of Mexican/Honduran/Other Latin Countries descent. I certainly dont think someone from Argentina or Poland or wherever they may be from can't/shouldn't write Hispanic characters set in LA. Having Mexican ties wouldn't automatically make it a better comic.

I know Argentina has historically had a good number of immigrants but thats quite a bit of diversity in your class, more than I would reasonably expect. Were you in a more international school in Buenos Aires or another bigger city?

Boogiepop

So, it is done. I have spent money once again. :|

Placed an IST order (well, technically 2 for maximized discount):
Sonic Saga 7
Ms Marvel 2
Loki: Agent of Asgard 1
JIM Featuring Lady Sif 1 and 2
Transformers: Windblade
Busiek and Perez Avengers Omnibus 1
Black Science 1 and 2

So yeah, trying out a good chunk of stuff recommended by this thread, hopefully to satisfactory results. I actually decided to, for the first time ever, use Comixology to double check if I'll like something this time, too! Since I've picked up a TON of #1s and what not for free via various promotions, I decided to give Black Science a try before I bought. And yeah, issue 1 got my attention enough to go all in, plus that cheap first trade made the decision easier. (BTW, any way to make Comixology show page count+what page you're on? This was actually my first time using it. My only other experience for digital comic like things (not counting webcomics) is the Viz one for Shonen Jump and whatnot, and I was kind of missing the feature of being able to easily tell my place in what I'm reading.)

Oh, and Sunstone was considered, but had to get bumped this time around for budgetary reasons. Transformers Windblade was what did it. I put that in my wishlist after the last time I forgot it, and sure enough I would've forgot it again had I not checked the wishlist. I'm sure Sunstone is the better comic from what I've heard, but I need that complete modern Transformers set! (BTW, I was going to ask this anyway before going all in, but there are people in here other than Messi who can vouch for Sunstone, yeah? Not that I don't trust Messi's opinion, but it's nice to have more than one person giving confirmation on a title's quality before I go in on it). I swear I'll fit in next time if at all possible, though!

(BTW, I was going to ask this anyway before going all in, but there are people in here other than Messi who can vouch for Sunstone, yeah? Not that I don't trust Messi's opinion, but it's nice to have more than one person giving confirmation on a title's quality before I go in on it). I swear I'll fit in next time if at all possible, though!
It is good. Just know that it can get very lewd. But the art is great and the characters feel very human, in a good way.

You made a good order. Avengers, Black Science, and Journey Into Mystery w/ Sif are all great. I actually need to catch up on Black Science myself.

So, it is done. I have spent money once again. :|

Placed an IST order (well, technically 2 for maximized discount):
Sonic Saga 7
Ms Marvel 2
Loki: Agent of Asgard 1
JIM Featuring Lady Sif 1 and 2
Transformers: Windblade
Busiek and Perez Avengers Omnibus 1
Black Science 1 and 2

So yeah, trying out a good chunk of stuff recommended by this thread, hopefully to satisfactory results. I actually decided to, for the first time ever, use Comixology to double check if I'll like something this time, too! Since I've picked up a TON of #1s and what not for free via various promotions, I decided to give Black Science a try before I bought. And yeah, issue 1 got my attention enough to go all in, plus that cheap first trade made the decision easier. (BTW, any way to make Comixology show page count+what page you're on? This was actually my first time using it. My only other experience for digital comic like things (not counting webcomics) is the Viz one for Shonen Jump and whatnot, and I was kind of missing the feature of being able to easily tell my place in what I'm reading.)

Oh, and Sunstone was considered, but had to get bumped this time around for budgetary reasons. Transformers Windblade was what did it. I put that in my wishlist after the last time I forgot it, and sure enough I would've forgot it again had I not checked the wishlist. I'm sure Sunstone is the better comic from what I've heard, but I need that complete modern Transformers set! (BTW, I was going to ask this anyway before going all in, but there are people in here other than Messi who can vouch for Sunstone, yeah? Not that I don't trust Messi's opinion, but it's nice to have more than one person giving confirmation on a title's quality before I go in on it). I swear I'll fit in next time if at all possible, though!

Lots of good choices there. I need the Busiek/Perez Avengers omni in my life.

I can vouch for Sunstone as well. I am a prude and even I enjoyed it. It's the anti-50 Shades in that it actually has characters that aren't made of cardboard and funny/sweet moments amidst the riding.

ElNarez

Banned
The following is an unedited panel from Loki: Agent of Asgard #12, a serious comic about the existential horror of a character existing in a fictional universe and being forced to live according to its rules against his will:
tumblr_nleve3XD441srsdlyo1_500.png

Ewing stays winning. Guy's the next Morrison, i tells ya.

Anyway
Ocean/Orbiter yay/nay?
Strong Yay. Especially Orbiter.

And thus my theory about Punisher fans is gosh-darn correct. Punisher is the worst, and Punisher fans are the worst. And like, for as much my hate for Rogue is well-publicized on these here boards, I hate Punisher even more. Fuck him, fuck his guns, fuck his shitty fucking skull shirts, fuck everything about him.

Punisher MAX by Ennis. Might wanna start with the Slavers arc.
Fury: My War Gone By also by Ennis.

Congratulations, you now love Frank Castle

But yes, generally, if Frank is donning white gloves and boots, it'll be a terrible story. There are some exceptions, but not many.

I know Argentina has historically had a good number of immigrants but thats quite a bit of diversity in your class, more than I would reasonably expect. Were you in a more international school in Buenos Aires or another bigger city?

Exactly. It was about 50/50 between international students and locals.

For the record, Argentina is made up largely of Italian, Spanish, and German immigrants.

ElNarez

Banned
Someday I'll check out Punisher MAX, in one of my lulls where The News doesn't remind me that he's one step removed from one of those cops who kills people and then shouts it was self-defense.

ANYWAY, that ain't even the best thing Ewing's done this week, check out the last pages of Mighty Avengers for that.

Someday I'll check out Punisher MAX, in one of my lulls where The News doesn't remind me that he's one step removed from one of those cops who kills people and then shouts it was self-defense.

Dude, you are associating two very different things and it's quite scary.

There is literally nothing in common with corrupt US police officers abusing their power and a fictional character taking down fictional mobsters that killed his fictional family.

Frank isn't real. He certainly isn't a cop who has accepted the "protect and serve" code of conduct. His actions have no consequence on the real world. He's a fake war veteran who suffers from PTSD and lives by his own code of revenge at all costs.

TL; DR - fake comics are fake.

ANYWAY, that ain't even the best thing Ewing's done this week, check out the last pages of Mighty Avengers for that.

Modern Frank would kill cops like that. He has done so before.

ElNarez

Banned
Dude, you are associating two very different things and it's quite scary.

There is literally nothing in common with corrupt US police officers abusing their power and a fictional character taking down fictional mobsters that killed his fictional family.

Frank isn't real. He certainly isn't a cop who has accepted the "protect and serve" code of conduct. His actions have no consequence on the real world. He's a fake war veteran who suffers from PTSD and lives by his own code of revenge at all costs.

TL; DR - fake comics are fake.

When Frank's like "I gotta wash the filth out of the streets" or like "This city is a warzone and I'm the only one who can really get stuff done", I see that same ugly mentality that leads to police murders. Like, there's nothing heroic about the Punisher, he's just a fucking murderer.

When Frank's like "I gotta wash the filth out of the streets" or like "This city is a warzone and I'm the only one who can really get stuff done", I see that same ugly mentality that leads to police murders. Like, there's nothing heroic about the Punisher, he's just a fucking murderer.

Max Frank is painfully aware of that. The character was written with that level of awareness in mind.

Which results in him doing something not because he believes he's the only one that can do it, but because if he lets others do it, they'll start living in the same hellish ocean of mysery that he inhabits. And he wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Top Bottom