• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2015. Warning: can be hazardous to your financial health.

Nudull

Banned
My first floppy was, believe it or not, a Sonic comic:

sonic98.jpg

Messi

Oh man, Batwoman is terrible. Now DC retconned the kinda-rape they implied with the Nocturna mind-control thing. Only one more issue, thankfully. I still like to think the book ended when Blackman and Williams left. The marriage proposal to Mags was that creative team dropping the mic.

This saddens me deeply. DEEPLY.

Squire

Banned
Just now read Soider-Gwen #2. Good stuff. The Black Cats posters were a cool detail.
Daredevil is a villain in this?
Whoa.

Reading Silk now.

Is Red One good? Premise is interesting. That art is great.

Spoken like someone who hasn't read Action Comics #13. :D

I haven't read any Action Comics (something I'd like to fix... eventually) but Superman 39 was really great.

I'm glad I haven't kept up with Batwoman lol Hopefully DC has a better plan for it once it gets the eventual relaunch.

Is Red One good? Premise is interesting. That art is great.

Fuck me Red One was good. Dodsons killed it on art. Great stuffs.

Word. Even though it's not that recent. It's only being newly translated into English, as it existed previously outside the US as Red Widow, and then Red Skin due to legal issues.

Still, that's a big comic for $2.99.... Marvel would have charged $5.99 for this.

Messi

You know it went downhill after BLlackman and Williams departure. The vampire thing was a bit weird, but I gave it a chance. The book just got too weird.

But I like
lesbian
vampires :(. I agree it is weird and it went majorly downhill but I am mad to see it ending like this.

I still look at that original art of the bite page from Batwoman. Maybe someday I will click buy. Maybe.

NexusCell

Honestly not completly understanding the love for Red One here. The art is fantastic, that's must be said, but I'm not really hooked by the writing, it seems a bit weak right now. Hoping that this is just a one off thing though. Still gonna get the next issue.

Messi

I stopped when Williams left. No regrets

That's where it should have ended if DC were blocking the marriage, which they were.

I know. It was the most incoherent issue in the series. I liked it when Batwoman was pure street-level with a paranormal twist. That Religion of Crime arc was great.

So did I. I don't care about the space stuff and just about care about the vampire stuff. But it was best as a street level book.

I dropped it when Blackman/Williams left as well. No point in continuing when they couldnt tell the story they wanted because DC first said yes then later reversed their decision.

Elegy and the first arc were so good.

That's where it should have ended if DC were blocking the marriage, which they were.

So did I. I don't care about the space stuff and just about care about the vampire stuff. But it was best as a street level book.
Oh they're married, but they're keeping it a secret from everyone. The readers and even the DC editors.

I dropped it when Blackman/Williams left as well. No point in continuing when they couldnt tell the story they wanted because DC first said yes then later reversed their decision.

Elegy and the first arc were so good.

You weren't wrong. I stuck around because I like the character, and in hindsight, I'm so sorry I did. It honestly got worse the further we got into the post-Blackman/Williams run.

Squire

Banned
Silk is perfectly paced man, damn. Black Cat next issue? Fuck yes.

Word. Even though it's not that recent. It's only being newly translated into English, as it existed previously outside the US as Red Widow, and then Red Skin due to legal issues.

Still, that's a big comic for $2.99.... Marvel would have charged $5.99 for this.

I got it and that was definitely a factor. 40pgs for $3 is sweet indeed.

If it sucks I'm blaming Messi

Messi

You weren't wrong. I stuck around because I like the character, and in hindsight, I'm so sorry I did. It honestly got worse the further we got into the post-Blackman/Williams run.

This feels like Catwoman all over again. I know with the right talent the book can be incredible. Hell it was was incredible and DC fucked it all up.

Messi

It better not be who I think it is. The one person from the promo pic that hasn't shown up could have spoiled it. I will chuckle heartily if I am right.

When was this? I'd only consider Brubaker's run as incredible. But pfiefers run was really good. But these were pre N52

I just mean Catwoman in general. In the right hands it can be incredible.

Its
Steph's dad

not even worth spoiling

Cluemaster

Remember Batman 28? The Batman Eternal Spoiler issue? Remember Bruce tied up and Gotham on fire? Well he gets to that exact spot and who is up there?

Cluemaster

I still won't believe it until issue 52.

It's gotta be a trick. Two issues left. If that's really the reveal, this may be DC's biggest troll ever.

my first floppy western comic was the Batman: Arkham City tie-in by Dini/D'anda, and then Daredevil by Waid/Rivera for ongoing. But my real first comic was an issue of Shonen Jump monthly from 2003

Did anyone pick up Invisible Republic today? Midtown order isn't coming until next week.

bought it, haven't read it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finally caught up with Uncanny Avengers (on MU that is), interesting end to the Apocalypse Twins arc. I liked how
Kang
was the end game, and I REALLY liked that
Havok and Wasp being married and having a daughter
is actually canon and not erased by time travel, as I was sure it would be. It's a great series and especially a great sequel to Uncanny X-Force (you really can't read one without the other in my opinion) but as far as "we will let the creator come up with whatever crazy story he likes" style if writing, I still think Hickman is better at it than Remender.

Oh and also, I thought Alex
got his face half burned in Axis not this
, that was a surprise.

Edit: oh lol they give Sunfire his AoA look because of what happened. ..that actually makes sense and it's his best look by far, but it still feels like a copout. I hates it in x-force and I'm not a fan here of how Remender pulls from AoA...I guess he's a fan /shrug

Also Cap is suddenly old with no explanation so I assume that happened in his book or in some other Avengers book?

Ended up getting more then I planned today

#1 The Fly - Outbreak
#1 Red One
#1 The Manhattan Projects
#1 Frankenstein
#3 The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
#2 Princess Leia
#12 Loki AoA (Holy Fuck this cover is amazing)
#2 Ei8ht
#7 Outcast
#1 Batgirl - Endgame
#2 Silk

I also spent way to much on this. Im surprised I won it

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
So I posted once or twice back in the November thread asking for recommendations during a Comixology sale, so now that I have had a chance to read through some stuff I figured maybe I should actually start posting in the thread more often.

I'm one of those people that Marvel dreams about, as I actually went from liking their movies to using that as an excuse to actually start reading comics. Before that, I had only ever read the occasional graphic novel that I had got from the library (and a few TMNT comics from when I was a kid) due to lack of storage room. Thankfully Comixology and my iPad solve that issue. I then read Fraction's Hawkeye, which is absolutely amazing and completely sold me on buying more stuff. It is still probably my favorite run that I have read of any comic.

That being said, here is some of what I have been reading and have enjoyed (obviously some of them are a few old now):

Thor: I remember seeing a thread in OT a year or two ago about the God Butcher and God Bomb arcs and thinking it looked interesting. I finally sat down and have read through all of the Aaron run about a week ago. That thread was right, since those two arcs were fantastic. I feel it slowed down a bit after that, but I think it is because I have trouble taking Roxxon seriously. It feels like he is a reject villain from Captain Planet. The new Thor has spiced things up again. I know people have complained about them not showing who she is, but I haven't found that to be annoying, although maybe that is because I read the issues at once instead of having to wait a month between each one.

Punisher: I picked up pretty much all of the Garth Ennis run. I enjoyed the Marvel Knights version well enough, but really loved his take on Punisher during the Max series. The arc taking place in Russia was a particular high point. I admit that I am not too familiar with the OG Fury, but I loved how much of a bastard he was. I have been reading the current Edmondson run and I admit the tone shift has seemed pretty jarring. It isn't bad by any means, but it seems to be more of a military adventure than a book about criminals being killed.

Superior Foes of Spiderman: I never would have even considered reading this if I hadn't seen people raving about it in these threads. Definitely glad that I did, since it was wonderful and hilarious. I was glad to see Shocker finally get a bit of revenge at the end. As a bonus, it convinced me to try out Ant-Man which has been fantastic as well.

Manhattan Projects: I picked this up during the Image sale back in November and it is now one of my favorite series. It has been twistedly charming. I was so happy that new issues started up again today. Like I saw mentioned on the last page, I couldn't stop laughing during the courtroom scene.

Lazarus: I wasn't originally going to pick this up, but Mindwipe and sca2511 both recommended it. I have really enjoyed it. I always enjoy a good dystopian future. The plot seems a bit slow, but Rucka's writing is strong enough it hasn't bothered me.

Right now I have just started East of West, which seems really promising after the first issue. From a Marvel perspective, I read Ms. Marvel, Secret Avengers, Hawkeye, and Black Widow. For DC, it is currently just Batman and Harley Quinn. I own a lot of different Image series, but am still reading through most of them to figure out what I like.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Immortus told Alex and Janet the exact time they have to fuck to get their daughter back... how exactly would he know that besides the obvious, that he was peeping on them at some point in time.

What a fucking creeper :eek:

Owzers

So I posted once or twice back in the November thread asking for recommendations during a Comixology sale, so now that I have had a chance to read through some stuff I figured maybe I should actually start posting in the thread more often.

I'm one of those people that Marvel dreams about, as I actually went from liking their movies to using that as an excuse to actually start reading comics. Before that, I had only ever read the occasional graphic novel that I had got from the library (and a few TMNT comics from when I was a kid) due to lack of storage room. Thankfully Comixology and my iPad solve that issue. I then read Fraction's Hawkeye, which is absolutely amazing and completely sold me on buying more stuff. It is still probably my favorite run that I have read of any comic.

Have you ever read Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction and Aja. I presume you'd like that a lot since you love Hawkeye.

Top Bottom