• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Babs Tarr is going to be a guest at Image Expo, guess she won't be on Batgirl after Rebirth.

At Image Expo? This bodes well. I'd love to see her to do some work for Image. I have a preference for indy publishers because you can sidestep all that shared universe bullshit you get with Marvel and DC.

I want to imagine Stewart doing literally anything other than writing. Like, lettering is fine too.

Totally this. He's a good artist, but as long a writer is better than just being tolerable, they're pretty much universally interchangeable to me. It's much harder to find that great artist. Which makes me wish Cloonan would go back to doing interiors and stop with the writing and art prints. Though I do love Cloonan art prints, I'd rather have her arting comics.

I am engaging the last Fringe Episode.

I dont this show to end :(

Real talk, I've never seen an episode of Fringe in my life.

Who's scruffy looking?

han-solo-comic-cover-ew.jpg

Han-Solo-comic-01-ew.jpg

Han-Solo-comic-02-ew.jpg

“This is a Han Solo who doesn’t quite know who he is anymore,” says writer Marjorie Liu, a veteran comic book scribe best known for Astonishing X-Men and Monstress. “He doesn’t think about politics, and suddenly he’s thrust into this life-or-death struggle for beliefs he didn’t even know he cared about — and it has changed him. He doesn’t want to believe 
that change, but he has.”

The five-issue story is illustrated by Mark Brooks (Amazing Spider- Man, Uncanny X-Force) and the cover is by Lee Bermejo.

The story involves a starship race known as the Dragon Void Run. “Han’s been dreaming 
of entering this thing for his entire life,” Liu says. “He finally gets
 the chance, except there’s a catch: Leia thinks there are spies in the Rebellion, and she doesn’t dare send anyone else to retrieve these vital informants who are on various planets in the system.”

Owzers

We obviously haven't protected the future, Civil War 2 is happening. The only thing we have to do now is figure out what in Comics-GAF caused this.

We obviously haven't protected the future, Civil War 2 is happening. The only thing we have to do now is figure out what in Comics-GAF caused this.

People still buying Marvel Comics. In 2016. We did this, sillymonkey. All of us. I would tell you to pray, but it wouldn't do any good. We have earned what is coming to us.

There was nothing. Followed by everything. Swirling, bumping threads of comics that circled Off Topic and Community. And then . . .
KtSovax.png

We raced to the light.

It was the spark that started the fire — a legend that grew in the telling. Some believe it began the moment we were exiled to the Community forum. Others said it was when the DC Super PAC threatened us with war. Many more think it was when Messi's statue shipped, turning the white icon red. They were all wrong. As it happened before The New 52. Before The War. And before The Movie Threads. It started with a thread. It started with an idea....

tim1138

At Image Expo? This bodes well. I'd love to see her to do some work for Image. I have a preference for indy publishers because you can sidestep all that shared universe bullshit you get with Marvel and DC.

Totally this. He's a good artist, but as long a writer is better than just being tolerable, they're pretty much universally interchangeable to me. It's much harder to find that great artist. Which makes me wish Cloonan would go back to doing interiors and stop with the writing and art prints. Though I do love Cloonan art prints, I'd rather have her arting comics.

It'll be interesting to see what she does on a creator owned book. She was listed with Fletcher and Stewart, so I'm guessing they're keeping the band together.

I'm not a fan of the artist turned writer trend either, I get that it's easier to make money as a writer because you can do multiple books at once, but more often than not, they aren't great. You'll always have exceptions, someone like Ryan Browne who writes and draws his own stuff, but those seem few and far between.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, its tradition when one superhero dies, another one overtakes his identity, who will from now one post the Olivia Wilde gifs and hype Harley?

We should not pull a Nick Fury on him like we did with Birdie.

Owzers

There was nothing. Followed by everything. Swirling, bumping threads of comics that circled Off Topic and Community. And then . . .
We raced to the light.

It was the spark that started the fire — a legend that grew in the telling. Some believe it began the moment we were exiled to the Community forum. Others said it was when the DC Super PAC threatened us with war. Many more think it was when Messi's statue shipped, turning the white icon red. They were all wrong. As it happened before The New 52. Before The War. And before The Movie Threads. It started with a thread. It started with an idea....

Ideas are what caused Civil War 2! Let's never have them again.

Ted Cruz is on my tv, how'd he get there? I'm still planning on skipping Civil War 2, so far i've skipped Age of Ultron and Black Vortex, now i'm not buying into Pleasant Hillville or Civil War 2.

Edit: hey, i was two thirds of the way done on absorbing Messi, i can post messi things and watch The Rockets lose. I won't watch soccer though.

KtSovax.png

We raced to the light.

Ha, thought I recognised that. It's been a while.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Deadly Class, Revival, and The Walking Dead were all really good this week.

Going to read the first issue of The Discipline tonight.

I got a cool phone call from my Sister. My 9 year old nephew apparently has read through all the Amulet books and was wanting new suggestions. So now I'm brainstorming. I'm thinking of books that aren't the usual cape stuff and maybe young fantasy like books

So far I've come up with:
Bone
Mouse Guard
Tellos

I got a cool phone call from my Sister. My 9 year old nephew apparently has read through all the Amulet books and was wanting new suggestions. So now I'm brainstorming. I'm thinking of books that aren't the usual cape stuff and maybe young fantasy like books

So far I've come up with:
Bone
Mouse Guard
Tellos

How about Usagi Yojimbo? Maybe a little violent at times and younger readers might miss some of the themes, but it should still be a fun read.

9 is a good age to get into Asterix and Tintin also.

Edit - Rosa's and Barks' Duck Comics too!

Sandfox

I need that Han Solo ongoing now.

I know why the #1s happened, that doesn't make it any less confusing to new readers.

And Apocalypse Wars is a crossover event for the X-Men that's starting soon. So yes, we are getting an X-Men crossover very soon.

Apocalypse Wars is self contained to each book and they aren't crossing over.

I've wanted to read that for some time. How many issues are they up to?

Digitally, till #11. And it is inexpensive too. $1 per issue.

HC v2 ends at #9.

Edit: Looks like #12 is out too.

I keep meaning to pick that series up. I think there are two hardcovers for it so far and they're insanely cheap. I just haven't heard anything about the series, but I have them on my IST wishlist.

Great cute fun in a How to Steal a Million or Charade vein.

Owzers

my comic shipment was just sad. I buy too few books to still not be excited by them. Only eight issues and the Marvel ones i'm most iffy about. Karnak #2, Patsy Walker #3, Ultimates #4, and trying out Power Man and Iron Fist #1 which i'm hopeful for. At least i buy Walking Dead so I always have something i want to read each month.

On the plus side, i liked the first issue of Spider-Gwen on MU, especially the page where
gwen spray paint taunts the Vulture

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Didn't really care for the Discipline #1. It was trying very hard to be dark and sexy but it mostly came off as silly.

I need that Han Solo ongoing now.

I'm going off of what Marvel called it:

No, the books aren't directly spilling over into each other, but it's still considered a crossover event by Marvel. I was pointing out how they have a ton of crossovers (which leads to confusion among the new readers they want to attract), and this is considered a crossover.
Bandette is on Comixology.
I need to get the rest of the series sometime. First issue was really cute.

Owzers

I'm thinking NXT might be a tad overrated sometimes. Trying to catch up a little and see Feb 17's Samoa Joe vs Sammy Zayn match. Their future is wrestling Jericho one day.

Also Walking Dead #152:
the " you're probably going to do something against me" angle is wearing thin. You threw a brick at my kid's head, your dad tried to kill me so i killed him and you're probably mift, i got my eye on you!

Real talk, I've never seen an episode of Fringe in my life.
I've seen a couple. Just seemed like The X-Files with a more modern tone and far more "out there" in its premise. I've been meaning to watch it, but I don't really care enough to prioritize.
Young Jean already had this story arc, though. God I'm beginning to hate her more and more.
Didn't the Mutant Massacre back in the day do the same thing? A massive event across multiple X-books, but never really crossing over? My only experience is via "Rachel and Miles X-plain the X-Men," and that's how they made it sound.

Calcium

Banned
I am engaging the last Fringe Episode.

I dont this show to end :(

I loved Fringe, but I was more than ready for it to end when the time came. It saw quite a few dips in quality over the years and ending a story as strange as that one on a satisfying note was always going to be difficult.

Who's scruffy looking?

That book looks great. I need more Star Wars books in my life.

Did you see TFA? Han Solo
will never be ongoing again.

giphy.gif

Guess what I just found? A fun little article about Deadpool's role in Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Guess when it was written?

February 22nd, 2016

It's a nice little read, and I recommend it. It's short, too. Not particularly deep, but a nice summary of why Deadpool is my favorite character in that book.

Found and bought Justice League: A League of One (tpb) at the bookstore today.

Love it.

Hopefully Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman run randomly shows up on the shelf someday...

Oh, and I also bought the Sandman slipcase recently on bookdepository. I can't wait until it arrives.

Top Bottom