• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Batgirl, Batwoman. Just copped a name. No bat broke through their window, didn't fall into a cave full of bats.

That was always kinda weird to me, especially with how Kane seems to have a fair amount of distaste for Batman.

A lot of new fans think she's too good for Ollie.

If you mean Tumblr types, they have terrible sense for good relationships. Best to ignore them.

Ollie's book is kind of a disaster though.

Zombine

Banned
That Discipline comic was hot garbage. The art was ok (I thought the cover was great, most of the reason I bought it), but the story was awful terrible bad.

niyisEt.jpg

8FxEa.gif

Net_Wrecker mentioned that rule that after you write a masterpiece, you get a lifetime pass for trash. Curtis Hanson wrote/directed L.A. Confidential, which is Excellent, so even if the rest of his career is *gameproffavatarquote* you can still say, "the nigga wrote L.A. Confidential tho..."

Peter Milligan has top 10 comic of all-time "Enigma" in his back pocket, along with like a hundred other great comics(Shade, Face, Human Target, The Extremist, Girl, Hebllazer, X-Statix, Flowers for Rhino, Bad Company, Johnny Nemo, Skin, etc). So no matter how trash his current comic is, you can all always say, "that's fine tho, cuz this nigga wrote Enigma"

VanWinkle

I know little about older comics, like golden and silver age stuff. I was looking at some Neal Adams Batman pages from his 70's run, and noticed that literally EVERY SINGLE line that wasn't a question ended in an exclamation point. I didn't see a single normal sentence with a period at the end. Is that normal for that era? It just feels like it would get really annoying to read.

I know little about older comics, like golden and silver age stuff. I was looking at some Neal Adams Batman pages from his 70's run, and noticed that literally EVERY SINGLE line that wasn't a question ended in an exclamation point. I didn't see a single normal sentence with a period at the end. Is that normal for that era? It just feels like it would get really annoying to read.
Yea that was a thing all books did.

MartyStu

So, here's a thought, what if they finally give Barbra a Nightwing-style upgrade? Have her move past being Batgirl, but not past being a costumed hero.

Been waiting fro this to happen for years.

It is not going to happen though. ESPECIALLY with how much some seem to like Burnside Batgirl.

Owzers

It makes it harder to read. The writing has improved/matured so much in the last couple of decades.

I tend to avoid older comics, Kraven's Last Hunt was one of the few that i tried and ended up liking and that wasn't even that old. Narration boxes did me in usually.

Comics of that time modeled themselves after radio dramas and pulp adventure novellas. Very bombastic, lots of explaining stuff to make it easy to understand.

VanWinkle

Comics of that time modeled themselves after radio dramas and pulp adventure novellas. Very bombastic, lots of explaining stuff to make it easy to understand.

To me, it's so unfortunate. I look at Neal Adams's art and paneling and everything and it's AMAZING! It holds up really well. But then I see that narration and the constant exclamation points and sometimes cheesy dialogue and it just holds it down so much.

I'm still going to get the Neal Adams Omnibus, though, and just keep an open mind with this writing style. I'm not really interested in the Batman Odyssey story since everyone seems to hate it, but this omni is still cheaper than buying the three Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams volumes.

To me, it's so unfortunate. I look at Neal Adams's art and paneling and everything and it's AMAZING! It holds up really well. But then I see that narration and the constant exclamation points and sometimes cheesy dialogue and it just holds it down so much.

I'm still going to get the Neal Adams Omnibus, though, and just keep an open mind with this writing style. I'm not really interested in the Batman Odyssey story since everyone seems to hate it, but this omni is still cheaper than buying the three Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams volumes.

It's something if you stick with it you adapt and it starts to bother you less. But it was the style of the times and yes writing as a whole has improved by introducing a diverse and varied styles. But it also came with some price

1) comics back then were designed for self contained stories in one issue. So things moved snappy with hints of longer arcs. Ala procedural tv of today
2) designed that a kid could get all the info of characters, powers, etc from any issue. They weren't sold in specialty stores with tons of back issues, trades, etc. every comic was to be as new reader friendly as possible.

But just like today where some is great and some isn't. The same holds true with the classics. And you learn to skim dialogue and especially exposition boxes when it's all recap stuff

Some writers kept that style for a long time. Claremont was always one of the longest holdouts of the old style.
I still really enjoy reading the old classics but it's an acquired taste. When I first got into comics I would have probably hates them.

VanWinkle

It's something if you stick with it you adapt and it starts to bother you less. But it was the style of the times and yes writing as a whole has improved by introducing a diverse and varied styles. But it also came with some price

1) comics back then were designed for self contained stories in one issue. So things moved snappy with hints of longer arcs. Ala procedural tv of today
2) designed that a kid could get all the info of characters, powers, etc from any issue. They weren't sold in specialty stores with tons of back issues, trades, etc. every comic was to be as new reader friendly as possible.

But just like today where some is great and some isn't. The same holds true with the classics. And you learn to skim dialogue and especially exposition boxes when it's all recap stuff

Some writers kept that style for a long time. Claremont was always one of the longest holdouts of the old style.
I still really enjoy reading the old classics but it's an acquired taste. When I first got into comics I would have probably hates them.

Very helpful post. Thanks.

Owzers

So what I miss?

Rockets/Bulls tonight, Cruz winning at least two primaries today, i'm almost done with the Spider-Gwen issues on MU, and I laugh whenever Marvel announces a new random spider book. Web Warriors, Spider Stranglers, Arachnagirl Squad.

also my headphones when playing ps4 crackle.

Calcium

Banned
I wonder how many times Messi has been reading the thread and wanting soooo badly to respond.

It's probably a constant struggle. Instead of posting he just takes whatever he'd say to us and directs it toward his folder of Olivia Wilde gifs.

frye

There's a Pete Milligan comic from 1993 called The Extremist and it's got like half the exact same premise as The Discipline (some chick discovers a secret sex cult) except it has 1) Pete Milligan from 1993 and 2) Ted McKeever going for it

Net_Wrecker mentioned that rule that after you write a masterpiece, you get a lifetime pass for trash. Curtis Hanson wrote/directed L.A. Confidential, which is Excellent, so even if the rest of his career is *gameproffavatarquote* you can still say, "the nigga wrote L.A. Confidential tho..."

Peter Milligan has top 10 comic of all-time "Enigma" in his back pocket, along with like a hundred other great comics(Shade, Face, Human Target, The Extremist, Girl, Hebllazer, X-Statix, Flowers for Rhino, Bad Company, Johnny Nemo, Skin, etc). So no matter how trash his current comic is, you can all always say, "that's fine tho, cuz this nigga wrote Enigma"

More than any other writer Milligan lives and dies by the artist. And it's not even the quality of the artist, it's the artist themselves (like, if it's not Allred, McCarthy, Ewins, Fegredo, Hewlett, Bachalo, or Javier Pulido there's a 90% chance it's not worth the time you spent reading it)

this is a really great post

Top Bottom