• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

WEGGLES

Anyone reading Symmetry? I don't think I like it very much, and the art is weird. It looks like a bunch of bad Sims screenshots... The faces are weird....

SY001-Final-PreProof-13-0de07.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Squirrel Girl #7-8: "Loki, I would ask of thee stop being Cat Thor" yeah this book is pretty fucking great

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Anyone reading Symmetry? I don't think I like it very much, and the art is weird. It looks like a bunch of bad Sims screenshots... The faces are weird....

SY001-Final-PreProof-13-0de07.jpg

Nope but I am reading one of Hawkins other books The Tithe. It's been pretty decent through two arcs but sounds like it may not get a 3rd.

Yousefb

A little late on this but I just read issue #3. I gotta say the series is shaping up nicely and I'm interested to see where it goes next.

I do have a quick question.
At one point when Bruce and Carrie were getting ready to respond to the threat it looked like there was a Batman army of some sort with them. What's that all about? It was literally in a panel or two but no mention of it. Is it something from Dark Knight Strikes Again?

Also this scene from the accompanying mini issue was so messed up!
http://imgur.com/a/XqimK
The funny part is that the issue sets up Hal Jordan as this new Super powered GL that can seemingly alter reality with the power of his will so I was expecting him to pull off something crazy. I was not expecting THAT to happen. I definitely let out an audible "wtf" when I saw it hah.

WEGGLES

fucking hell that looks like dogshit

I hate hate hate hate cg comic art

looks like shit

always.

This is just what I could find online. The most recent issue was terrible. Any time they try to make a face emote it looks so much worse.

Here's a page from issue 2 that was pretty jarring.

https://imagecomics.com/uploads/releases/Symmetry02_Preview_Page_02.jpg

The strange thing is, image seems really confident in it as they're offering refunds for the first few issues or w,e. (Read it risk free etc.) The art is just so... Distractingly bad

So I'm kind of interested in checking out some Dark Horse stuff. I haven't checked out any of their more recent books aside from Lady Killer. Is there anything particularly good I should read?

So I'm kind of interested in checking out some Dark Horse stuff. I haven't checked out any of their more recent books aside from Lady Killer. Is there anything particularly good I should read?

The Paybacks is really good, superheroes as repo guys. I liked Zodiac Starforce as well, it's like a Sailor Moon deconstruction with a bit of Power Rangers, but it's not as grim as superhero deconstructions usually are.

There's also the sequel to Gail Simone's Leaving Megalopolis, Surviving Megalopolis, which is grim as fuck. It's awesome IMO.

To the X-Men fans: The last run I read was Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men. Where should I go from there? Would Uncanny X-Force be appealing to someone that enjoyed his(Joss's)run?
UXF is really good (one of my favorites), but it's far from the tone of Whedon's Astonishing. If you do decide to read UXF, and you like it, read Remender's Uncanny Avengers. It's effectively a sequel series
That sounds hella dumb lol.

But yeah man, this shit is just so hard to wrap my head around, I've tried and failed too :/

Just don't stress too much. Just accept that the event happens. I always thought of it in the sense that you hear about things that happen, but you don't know the details. Those X-books in particular are big culprits.

Battle of the Atom is a pretty bad event, but you don't really need it, though it helps understand a lot of the X stuff in general. Pretty much sets the stage for a lot. Same with Trial of Jean Grey (though it's highly recommended by me).

Also Logan's loss of his healing factor and subsequent death was a huge thing at the time. Showed up in a lot of books, but the actual plot point happened in his own book. You'd have to read a shitload of books to get the full scope of it, which I wouldn't recommend unless you hate yourself (I've heard negative things about the Wolverine solo stuff).

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
UXF is really good (one of my favorites), but it's far from the tone of Whedon's Astonishing. If you do decide to read UXF, and you like it, read Remender's Uncanny Avengers. It's effectively a sequel series

Remender's Uncanny X-Force is a really great read. It's very self contained---but it does reference some older Claremont era stuff quite a bit. It's got some of the best art I've ever seen over the series from Jerome Opena and Phil Noto. Especially Jerome Opena, shiiiiiet. Just a very visceral book, balances the team dynamic very well, is very digestable, and does a great job of putting the team in very dire situations. It's probably going to be the last great X-Series. I hope I'm wrong, but marvels editorial really scaled back on putting exciting talent for the X-Men line.

Uncanny-X-Force-3.jpg

Also Logan's loss of his healing factor and subsequent death was a huge thing at the time. Showed up in a lot of books, but the actual plot point happened in his own book. You'd have to read a shitload of books to get the full scope of it, which I wouldn't recommend unless you hate yourself (I've heard negative things about the Wolverine solo stuff).

Yeah 3 months to die was pretty dumb, and it was completely disconnected from Death of Logan. Which was also a pretty vapid book.

Sandfox

Yeah Marvel's been kinda dumb about this lately. They constantly relaunch and renumber series in an effort to be more newbie friendly (and get more sales), and in turn, it makes some things a lot more complicated than it needs to be. It's bad enough that there's two Squirrel Girl #1s, and it's even worse when you consider they both started last year!

Crossovers are getting annoying again too. Feels like everything is getting sucked into them lately with them. They were pretty good about this for a bit, but it's getting bad again.
A lot of the #1s were due to either Secret Wars or creative changes to the book. I wouldn't expect anything like Squirrel Girl again.
I get what they were going for with Marvel NOW and I think that was pretty successful and accessible for the most part. Now it's a lot more confusing on top of more #1s after only a few years. Read an Avengers book? Got a crossover. Read X-Men? More of those. Spider-Gwen? Gotta read Spider-Woman too. Squirrel Girl? Hope you like Howard the Duck. Just a pain.

Ongoing X books are usually a little more complicated. If you're reading Bendis' Uncanny I know it crosses over with All-New pretty often from what I've heard. I'm not much of an X-Men reader so I can't really give much advice myself.

My favorite X-Men book is Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender, which was pretty self-contained. I don't know how much I'd recommend it to someone trying to get into X-Men, but it's really good outside of like one arc midway.

Also, me > LaunchPad in SF5 :p

Based on what I've seen we aren't going to be getting any X-Men crossovers anytime soon. It just seems like Bendis wanted all his books to connect somehow.

There's something about sci-fi, with spaceships and aliens and lasers and robots and shit...and then you get to the necromancy/blood/dark magic bullshit...AND IT'S AMAZING

EDIT:

The Transformers: Dark Prelude

Continuing through the Transformers reading list -- a journey that has been only a pleasure -- I have come to this gem of an anthology book. Each chapter of this is a spotlight on a particular character: Orion Pax, Thundercracker, Megatron, Bumblebee, Trailcutter, and Hoist. Each one is a pure delight, ranging from all types of moods and stories. Orion Pax is fairly lighthearted. Almost a James Bond-style story, involving a hostage negotiation and the most Saturday-morning-cartoon villainy imaginable...and it's awesome. Thundercracker's is a more somber tale, like a soldier questioning what he's fighting for as he sees the carnage around him. Then you have Megatron -- which is my personal favorite -- spending an entire issue stealing Starscream's soul. Dealing pure ether in comic form, and I would gladly pay money for every version of the single issue I could find so I could read it over and over and over again, only so I could experience the exact same joy. Good god is it amazing, and I know that sounds a bit dark, but let's be honest here; fuck Starscream. Then we have Bumblebee, whose story is proving ground for him as a leader, leading to a kickass action story. Trailcutter's is a tale of a man who wants to be more than what others see him as (except for Brainstorm, who saw him for his magnawheels instead of his forcefields) and succeeds in doing so in one of the most badass bluffs I've ever seen. Finally, we land on Hoist, a psychological story of survival. Each of the spotlights brings a very unique flavor to the book, and neither tale is the same as the others. From art, to tone, to dialogue they are all very unique. Yet, somehow they all feel like they belong in the same universe. Thundercracker's story is the best at conveying this, since that art style is significantly more distinct from the rest, being almost reminiscent of 90's/80's era comics.

Despite being an anthology book, however, this is an overarching plot involving Metroplex: a huge Cybertronian referred to as a "Titan," which was a race of Cybertronians used to transport the Knights across space. In short: they big ass motherfuckers who can teleport damn near anywhere they please. Each book also denotes a progress of time, starting all the way from the very beginning of the war and ending at where More Than Meets the Eye is (which would be between Vol. 3 and Vol. 4).

It's a brilliant way at telling a collection of stories, while continuing to build the world and plot. The Transformers universe continues to be one that I am falling ever so in love with as each book comes into my possession, and feels like all to quick of an experience. I will continue to highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys Transformers or sci-fi-fantasy. Or just giant robots blasting each other to great dialogue.

tim1138

I get what they were going for with Marvel NOW and I think that was pretty successful and accessible for the most part. Now it's a lot more confusing on top of more #1s after only a few years. Read an Avengers book? Got a crossover. Read X-Men? More of those. Spider-Gwen? Gotta read Spider-Woman too. Squirrel Girl? Hope you like Howard the Duck. Just a pain.

Ongoing X books are usually a little more complicated. If you're reading Bendis' Uncanny I know it crosses over with All-New pretty often from what I've heard. I'm not much of an X-Men reader so I can't really give much advice myself.

My favorite X-Men book is Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender, which was pretty self-contained. I don't know how much I'd recommend it to someone trying to get into X-Men, but it's really good outside of like one arc midway.

Also, me > LaunchPad in SF5 :p

That's why with the exception of a few books, I do all of Marvel reading in Unlimited.

I hate hate hate hate cg comic art

looks like shit

always.

but ed, he loves you!

arkon

I mean, I don't so much mind the random spoiler as I mind that I have no idea which of the million random x-men series I would have to start reading to have his apparent death be covered.

It's easier than ever to find this information. Googling for death of wolverine brings up the wiki article on it on the first page of results. That page gives you a run down of titles involved. In fact wiki pages are pretty good starting points particularly those that have publication histories up to date. If that fails you can always ask on here or other forums.

In terms of what is required reading I'd say sticking to the core miniseries or title is usually enough to get the meat of the story. The tie-ins aren't vital ( usually)

Like, there are soo goddamn many avenger, spider-man and x-men series that have all started within the last 3-4 years. And I can't find anything that help give me any kind of overview. And apparently a new line of a named series can just be a completely different roster of characters being focused on from the last. Uncanny Xmen 2013 vs Uncanny Xmen 2016 is like that for instance. WHY?!

Look at the creative teams involved. One team will probably have different ideas on where the story is headed and which characters they want to use compared to the other. Generally a renumbering can lead to a wildly different direction for a title.

Mindwipe

It's a brilliant way at telling a collection of stories, while continuing to build the world and plot. The Transformers universe continues to be one that I am falling ever so in love with as each book comes into my possession, and feels like all to quick of an experience. I will continue to highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys Transformers or sci-fi-fantasy. Or just giant robots blasting each other to great dialogue.

It's weird how well that volume turned out when these issues were actually commissioned to be packed in with the toys, which is why they each focus on one character. The Megatron issue is dark as shit to be given to kids as a pack in issue (and the whole Trailbreaker/Trailcutter thing is a meta joke that they couldn't clear the trademark for his name for the toy and he had to be renamed on the packaging).

Also you missed how Whirl is the best thing in Spotlight: Trailcutter :)

I'm excited to pick up the first issue of the new Black Widow run. Also International Iron Man caught my eye, do I need to read a bunch of other runs before I pick this up? I've literally never read any Iron Man runs before.

Invincible Iron Man is the other ongoing Iron Man comic at the moment. it's seven issues in and written by Brian Michael Bendis as well, so presumably they'll cross over in some way. It's also been really good so far.

If you want to read a bit more of the character I'd start with Extremis. It's a one-off story with no prior knowledge required. It's my favourite Iron Man story.

Falchion

Invincible Iron Man is the other ongoing Iron Man comic at the moment. it's seven issues in and written by Brian Michael Bendis as well, so presumably they'll cross over in some way. It's also been really good so far.

If you want to read a bit more of the character I'd start with Extremis. It's a one-off story with no prior knowledge required. It's my favourite Iron Man story.

Cool I'll look for the first 7 issues of Invincible and order Extremis!

A lot of the #1s were due to either Secret Wars or creative changes to the book. I wouldn't expect anything like Squirrel Girl again.

Based on what I've seen we aren't going to be getting any X-Men crossovers anytime soon. It just seems like Bendis wanted all his books to connect somehow.
I know why the #1s happened, that doesn't make it any less confusing to new readers.

And Apocalypse Wars is a crossover event for the X-Men that's starting soon. So yes, we are getting an X-Men crossover very soon.

Tizoc

There's something about sci-fi, with spaceships and aliens and lasers and robots and shit...and then you get to the necromancy/blood/dark magic bullshit...AND IT'S AMAZING

EDIT:

The Transformers: Dark Prelude

Continuing through the Transformers reading list -- a journey that has been only a pleasure -- I have come to this gem of an anthology book. Each chapter of this is a spotlight on a particular character: Orion Pax, Thundercracker, Megatron, Bumblebee, Trailcutter, and Hoist. Each one is a pure delight, ranging from all types of moods and stories. Orion Pax is fairly lighthearted. Almost a James Bond-style story, involving a hostage negotiation and the most Saturday-morning-cartoon villainy imaginable...and it's awesome. Thundercracker's is a more somber tale, like a soldier questioning what he's fighting for as he sees the carnage around him. Then you have Megatron -- which is my personal favorite -- spending an entire issue stealing Starscream's soul. Dealing pure ether in comic form, and I would gladly pay money for every version of the single issue I could find so I could read it over and over and over again, only so I could experience the exact same joy. Good god is it amazing, and I know that sounds a bit dark, but let's be honest here; fuck Starscream. Then we have Bumblebee, whose story is proving ground for him as a leader, leading to a kickass action story. Trailcutter's is a tale of a man who wants to be more than what others see him as (except for Brainstorm, who saw him for his magnawheels instead of his forcefields) and succeeds in doing so in one of the most badass bluffs I've ever seen. Finally, we land on Hoist, a psychological story of survival. Each of the spotlights brings a very unique flavor to the book, and neither tale is the same as the others. From art, to tone, to dialogue they are all very unique. Yet, somehow they all feel like they belong in the same universe. Thundercracker's story is the best at conveying this, since that art style is significantly more distinct from the rest, being almost reminiscent of 90's/80's era comics.

Despite being an anthology book, however, this is an overarching plot involving Metroplex: a huge Cybertronian referred to as a "Titan," which was a race of Cybertronians used to transport the Knights across space. In short: they big ass motherfuckers who can teleport damn near anywhere they please. Each book also denotes a progress of time, starting all the way from the very beginning of the war and ending at where More Than Meets the Eye is (which would be between Vol. 3 and Vol. 4).

The Megatron story was written by Nick Roche, who also did the art, consider tracking down Spotlight: Kup, it's worth reading as a companion to Last Stand of the Wreckers.
It's rather dark and somber.

arkon

Is warren ellis doing anything?. Feels like forever since moon knight

He's working on more James Bond, Injection, Trees, Heartless and a load of unannounced projects one of which includes what he says might be the last truly vast project he ever does. He's probably looking to disappear from comics again in two years.

All taken from one of his most recent newsletters.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Had some spare time recently so re-read Superman: Red Son.

"Why don't you just put the whole world in a bottle, Superman?"

Still a fantastic story. Funny how that and All-Star Superman are two of my favourite comic runs and I've never really been all that interested in Superman ongoings. I think it's something to do with the limited run format.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Had some spare time recently so re-read Superman: Red Son.

"Why don't you just put the whole world in a bottle, Superman?"

Still a fantastic story. Funny how that and All-Star Superman are two of my favourite comic runs and I've never really been all that interested in Superman ongoings. I think it's something to do with the limited run format.
Miniseries are amazing.

Owzers

It's nice to see people still reading comics here, fighting the inevitable.

COMICS! April 2016: No, seriously, comics are still a thing.

I started reading Spider-Gwen to help decide if i want to pre-order the koto bishoujo statue for $60. Never ordered Suicide Squad Harley...the abundance of tattoos perhaps kept me away for now and i'm definitely getting the Christmas Harley red/black/white statue.

It's weird how well that volume turned out when these issues were actually commissioned to be packed in with the toys, which is why they each focus on one character. The Megatron issue is dark as shit to be given to kids as a pack in issue (and the whole Trailbreaker/Trailcutter thing is a meta joke that they couldn't clear the trademark for his name for the toy and he had to be renamed on the packaging).

Also you missed how Whirl is the best thing in Spotlight: Trailcutter :)
I didn't know any of this. Also, Brainstorm > Whirl. You're just lucky Brainstorm had such a small amount of dialogue in that issue.
The Megatron story was written by Nick Roche, who also did the art, consider tracking down Spotlight: Kup, it's worth reading as a companion to Last Stand of the Wreckers.
It's rather dark and somber.
I'll keep it in mind. Is that Spotlight not collected?

Was reading through Comics Should Be Good's Urban Legends posts and came across this one. Morrison and Millar's pitch for a Marvel 2099 reboot.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/09/07/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-67/

“Marvel heroes (in the past) were always characterized by their less-than-super alter-egos,” Millar wrote in his and Morrison’s proposal to Marvel. “We had the lame Donald Blake, the puny Peter Parker, the blind Matt Murdock and so on. This is what made these secret identities so much more interesting than their counterparts at other companies.”

“Our Iron Man was completely spastic power-wise,” Morrison laughed. “We dreamed him up as the most fantastic scientific mind on Earth who had created this wonderful war suit. Imagine, when he’s in the war suit, when he’s Iron Man, he can do anything. He can change shape, become intangible, travel through space…anything. But the minute something happens to that suit, he’s just a guy whose body is completely worthless.”

“I wanted to base him on the British scientist and writer, Stephen Hawking,” Millar added, “a man with a super-brain trapped inside the body of a disfigured invalid. A handicapped superhero would seem genuinely fresh in an industry still cluttered with successful yuppie super-people.”
Another twist they wanted to add was that their Iron Man, although working for Stark Industries, would not be Stark himself.

“Our Captain America was a Marine who fought in that war, and now his life is completely shattered. He fought the war thinking that (the legendary) Captain America would come back to save them. But with no sign of Cap, and with America losing, he’s lost everything. His mind’s gone and he has nothing left to believe in. He doesn’t believe in America. He doesn’t believe in anything.”

They were then going to have their unlikely hero find a menial job as a janitor for Stark Industries, obsessing over Captain America’s absence. Not understanding why Captain America hasn’t come back in what he perceives to be “the hour of his country’s greatest need,” he sets out (to the amusement of his fellow employees) to either find the Living Legend, or become one.

“Giant-Man is around,” Morrison said, “although he’s been comatose for over one hundred years. He’s reached this huge size, and he just stands with his feet straight in the Hudson River. He’s just this huge monolith. I mean, kids paint slogans on his feet and stuff. He’s just been there forever. His heart beats once a day, and it resounds through the gates and ships; it makes the Earth shake.”

That actually sounds interesting...

I started reading Spider-Gwen to help decide if i want to pre-order the koto bishoujo statue for $60. Never ordered Suicide Squad Harley...the abundance of tattoos perhaps kept me away for now and i'm definitely getting the Christmas Harley red/black/white statue.

You don't need to like the book to order the figure. As long as you like the character design.

Also, it does no good talking about Harley anymore. We're now living in a world without Messi.

Owzers

You don't need to like the book to order the figure. As long as you like the character design.

Also, it does no good talking about Harley anymore. We're now living in a world without Messi.

he'll come back, you just have to believe. Also if i don't have some kind of attachment to the character/design i tend not to want the statue.

Tizoc

I didn't know any of this. Also, Brainstorm > Whirl. You're just lucky Brainstorm had such a small amount of dialogue in that issue.

I'll keep it in mind. Is that Spotlight not collected?

Yeah it is collected in a TPB, but keep in mnid that some of the old Spotlight one shots were tied to the main overarching plot of the time.
However you can get it with a library binding, meaning the one shot comes with a hardcover :p
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1599614758/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Star Wars Darth Vader Vol. 1: Vader
So this was pretty sick. In the wake of my reawakened Star Wars interest, I have been watching the The Clone Wars cartoon (which is boss). However I decided that I also wanted to read a Star Wars comic, what with all the comics there were. Vader was my first choice, and boy did I choose correctly.

Gillen's writing is on point, and so is Larocca's art. My main beef with Larocca's art, though, is that the action scenes aren't very good. They feel very stiff, and not very energetic. The book still looks gorgeous though. The dialogue is great as well, and I love how many times someone asks Vader a question, and it just shows him flashing back with no actual response to the question. Vader himself seems very human in this series, and with everyone being a huge douche to him (although the Death Star was a huge fuck up) really makes you actually root for the character.

The plot of the book is effectively that good ol' Sheev Palpatine is pissed off at Vader for the Death Star, so he sends Vader on various missions, where Vader proves that him and the Wu-Tang Clan indeed have much in common. During this, Vader is also moving off the grid in order to find out what the Emperor is hiding from him. THe new characters (Triple-Zero, BT, and Aphra) all do a great job of complimenting and contrasting with Vader. None of the established characters seem out of character at all, either. Though, I feel this book builds off of the central Star Wars book, so I'm feeling kind of lost, as there seems to be an encounter that Vader and Luke have that I'm unfamiliar with.

Regardless, it's a book I highly recommend reading for Star Wars fans, and for people looking for a good villain story. The art, dialogue, characters, and plot are all fantastic, thought he action sequences leave something to be desired. I will be picking up more of this book.

Was reading through Comics Should Be Good's Urban Legends posts and came across this one. Morrison and Millar's pitch for a Marvel 2099 reboot.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/09/07/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-67/

That does sound pretty cool.
he'll come back, you just have to believe.
IST order still pending...
Yeah it is collected in a TPB, but keep in mnid that some of the old Spotlight one shots were tied to the main overarching plot of the time.
However you can get it with a library binding, meaning the one shot comes with a hardcover :p
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1599614758/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Dude, that is fascinating. The imagery in the Cap pitch is great:
“The guy decides that he wants to be Captain America,” Millar revealed, “so he goes to the bombed out ruins of Avengers Mansion, and digs up Captain America’s corpse. There he finds Captain America with the costume still on him, still holding the shield….”

“And like Arthur finding Excalibur,” Morrison added, “he just pulls out the shield (from Cap’s skeletal hands), holds it up, and that’s it. Suddenly, he thinks, ‘I’m going to be the dream.’ Even with his mind shattered and his confidence completely gone, he sets out to become Captain America and suddenly finds the dream again.”
I always felt like Morrison and Millar were great for each other, back when they were friends, if just simply in their creative collaborations.

It won't happen but imagine if Stewart was doing interiors... That'd be awesome.
I want to imagine Stewart doing literally anything other than writing. Like, lettering is fine too.

Top Bottom