• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
He's working with Joe Kelly again on Spider-Man/Deadpool at the moment. He was on the Sam Nova series for awhile before that.

Sam Nova was McGuiness? damn...I guess I can see it thinking back. No wonder I liked the art

Grant Morrison Batman reading order (this really should be in the OP)

Batman the Black Casebook (recommended but not required)
Batman and Son
Batman RIP
Final Crisis (recommended but not required)
Batman and Robin volume 1: Batman Reborn
Batman and Robin volume 2: Batman vs Robin
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin volume 3: Batman and Robin Must Die!
Batman Incorporated
Batman Incorporated volume 1: Demon Star
Batman Incorporated volume 2: Gotham's Most Wanted

You also need The Black Glove after Batman and Son

Owzers

MAR160329.jpg

DCBS updated for March.

If you don't buy it, it shows up at your house anyways, but angrier.

jackdoe

There's also Batman: Time and The Batman which, while not essential, clarifies some of the timeline shenanigans between RIP and Final Crisis.

Owzers

Nintendo is just the saddest company that i still somewhat care about. Oh boy, SNES games on my 3ds, system saved!

Trickster

Man it's hard reading comic books. Reading the Uncanny Xmen series from 2013, and at some point in the series, all of a sudden there a conversation where the characters are talking about, among others, Logan being dead/gone. Even though the series hardly have him appear, and the only time you see him, he is completely fine. So I guess to understand wtf that is about, I'll have to read some other series that this one doesn't even hint to while dropping spoiler bombs?

Man it's hard reading comic books. Reading the Uncanny Xmen series from 2013, and at some point in the series, all of a sudden there a conversation where the characters are talking about, among others, Logan being dead/gone. Even though the series hardly have him appear, and the only time you see him, he is completely fine. So I guess to understand wtf that is about, I'll have to read some other series that this one doesn't even hint to while dropping spoiler bombs?

Marvel and DC do things like this a lot. They try to get you to buy a bunch of different books just to keep up with all these different aspects of the story. It's one reason why a lot of people prefer indy books these days.

Marvel and DC do things like this a lot. They try to get you to buy a bunch of different books just to keep up with all these different aspects of the story. It's one reason why a lot of people prefer indy books these days.

It was always this way though. It's the nature of a shared universe. It's just more pronounced when every character and team has their own line of books, as opposed to a single title.

I don't know why they dropped the asterisks with the little boxes that told you exactly what to read. Those were handy.

Trickster

I mean, I don't so much mind the random spoiler as I mind that I have no idea which of the million random x-men series I would have to start reading to have his apparent death be covered.

Like, there are soo goddamn many avenger, spider-man and x-men series that have all started within the last 3-4 years. And I can't find anything that help give me any kind of overview. And apparently a new line of a named series can just be a completely different roster of characters being focused on from the last. Uncanny Xmen 2013 vs Uncanny Xmen 2016 is like that for instance. WHY?!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So one thing I've discovered, at least in marvel series, is that sometimes there will be a story that cuts across a bunch of different series. Like right now I'm reading Uncanny Xmen, and all of a sudden there are 2 chapters of a 10 part storyline called Battle of the Atom, which until I realized that was the case, left me completely confused as to what was happening because it had nothing to do with where the last normal chapter left off.

So I'm wondering if I should just skip those cross series chapters? Because now, 10 chapters later, there's a different cross series storyline that takes up the next 3 chapters <_<

Big reasons why I stopped reading the Big 2.

I mean, I don't so much mind the random spoiler as I mind that I have no idea which of the million random x-men series I would have to start reading to have his apparent death be covered.

Like, there are soo goddamn many avenger, spider-man and x-men series that have all started within the last 3-4 years. And I can't find anything that help give me any kind of overview. And apparently a new line of a named series can just be a completely different roster of characters being focused on from the last. Uncanny Xmen 2013 vs Uncanny Xmen 2016 is like that for instance. WHY?!

Titles are reused because they could lose the rights to them if they're not kept in continuous publication. The classic example is Captain Marvel. When Marvel won the rights to the name over DC, there was a clause that they had to publish a comic called "Captain Marvel" every so often or the rights would revert to DC. The original Mar-Vell was killed off in the 80s, so they would bring in his kids as legacy characters or publish "lost stories". There was also that time they brought him back to life but it turned out he was a Skrull. Eventually, they just made Carol Danvers into Captain Marvel to get around this, and DC winded up renaming their character Shazam.

Owzers

Far Cry Primal is depressingly not interesting. It's just not a dull game, it's a game that makes you feel bad at how it was created, like a baby born with a drug addiction.

Maybe i'm just too early in and it gets amazing.

Owzers

oh these debates, i'm dead. I'm dead and yet there are still comics this must be hell.

wait, it's not just DC comics, we're good.

Yeah Marvel's been kinda dumb about this lately. They constantly relaunch and renumber series in an effort to be more newbie friendly (and get more sales), and in turn, it makes some things a lot more complicated than it needs to be. It's bad enough that there's two Squirrel Girl #1s, and it's even worse when you consider they both started last year!

Crossovers are getting annoying again too. Feels like everything is getting sucked into them lately with them. They were pretty good about this for a bit, but it's getting bad again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Loki: Agent of Asgard #15-17 - Great ending to a great run, as the Asgardians battle Old Loki during Ragnarok (aka the final incursion) but Loki manages to escape (along with Veritas) outside of reality (where Surfer and Dawn were hanging out during Secret Wars aswell). I love good guy young Loki, its a much more interesting chatacter than boring ass villain Loki, and I hope they do somethinh else with him in the future.

Loki: Agent of Asgard #15-17 - Great ending to a great run, as the Asgardians battle Old Loki during Ragnarok (aka the final incursion) but Loki manages to escape (along with Veritas) outside of reality (where Surfer and Dawn were hanging out during Secret Wars aswell). I love good guy young Loki, its a much more interesting chatacter than boring ass villain Loki, and I hope they do somethinh else with him in the future.

He's in the new volume of Thor, and he's....different. Very Hiddleston-y, maybe a bit too much actually.

Well, he did tell Verity he wasn't going to be the same person he was, after all.

Sillymonkey is full of LIES. I just finished Far Cry Primal and enjoyed it quite a bit. The drastic change in setting is just what the franchise needed. Hopefully something similar is in the works for Assassin's Creed.

I meant more the analogy he used. I'm sure the game itself is fine.

PsychBat!

Banned
Yeah Marvel's been kinda dumb about this lately. They constantly relaunch and renumber series in an effort to be more newbie friendly (and get more sales), and in turn, it makes some things a lot more complicated than it needs to be. It's bad enough that there's two Squirrel Girl #1s, and it's even worse when you consider they both started last year!
I complained about this two years ago and everyone told me to shut up. (not really)

Owzers

Sillymonkey is full of LIES. I just finished Far Cry Primal and enjoyed it quite a bit. The drastic change in setting is just what the franchise needed. Hopefully something similar is in the works for Assassin's Creed.

I have the same feelings about Assassin's Creed as i do Far Cry, just mainly numb at the whole series.

Trickster

Crossovers are getting annoying again too. Feels like everything is getting sucked into them lately with them. They were pretty good about this for a bit, but it's getting bad again.

That sounds hella dumb lol.

But yeah man, this shit is just so hard to wrap my head around, I've tried and failed too :/

Rhaknar

Howard the Duck #4-5: mweh. Its alright, issue #4 had some funny stuff with Strange but its still very low on the "comedy Marvel titles" for me. Deffinately not something I would buy if I wasnt reading on MU :/

Owzers

Howard the Duck #4-5: mweh. Its alright, issue #4 had some funny stuff with Strange but its still very low on the "comedy Marvel titles" for me. Deffinately not something I would buy if I wasnt reading on MU :/

the scripting just doesn't do anything well enough. It's not quite funny or interesting but a mild combination of the two.

Yousefb

The series is 4 issues in as of now and so far I have seen a mixed bag of impressions online. Some say it's a bland story with lifeless art, while others say it is currently the best X-team book out there featuring some of Land's best art. What do you guys think?

Personally, I am reading Extraordinary X-men and Old Man Logan at the moment. OML has been consistently good in both the art and writing department. Whereas Extraordinary has been very hit or miss, but good enough to stay in my pull list. My favorite X-related book ever is Remender's Uncanny X-force, and the Uncanny Xmen team is essentially the same characters. For that reason I am interested in checking it out.

Owzers

I think i handled the first 40 minutes of the debate well but now i feel dead. Hillary, stay out of prison for a little bit longer okay? Hide the bodies, settle your business.

As someone who's not a fan of the original Miller story the current Old Man Logan story is pretty ace, if only for Sorrentino's art and the extra flashbacks to Logan's family which makes me care about that setting far more.

I complained about this two years ago and everyone told me to shut up. (not really)
I get what they were going for with Marvel NOW and I think that was pretty successful and accessible for the most part. Now it's a lot more confusing on top of more #1s after only a few years. Read an Avengers book? Got a crossover. Read X-Men? More of those. Spider-Gwen? Gotta read Spider-Woman too. Squirrel Girl? Hope you like Howard the Duck. Just a pain.
That sounds hella dumb lol.

But yeah man, this shit is just so hard to wrap my head around, I've tried and failed too :/

Ongoing X books are usually a little more complicated. If you're reading Bendis' Uncanny I know it crosses over with All-New pretty often from what I've heard. I'm not much of an X-Men reader so I can't really give much advice myself.

My favorite X-Men book is Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender, which was pretty self-contained. I don't know how much I'd recommend it to someone trying to get into X-Men, but it's really good outside of like one arc midway.

Also, me > LaunchPad in SF5 :p

Falchion

I'm excited to pick up the first issue of the new Black Widow run. Also International Iron Man caught my eye, do I need to read a bunch of other runs before I pick this up? I've literally never read any Iron Man runs before.

Top Bottom