• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

olympia

i've heard good things about omega men and i really like tom king but it almost seems impenetrable to someone who casually reads dc such as me. help?

i've heard good things about omega men and i really like tom king but it almost seems impenetrable to someone who casually reads dc such as me. help?

That is what Rebirth is there for. You won't need any catching up to do. Just read his Batman book as soon as it comes out.

quick Wondercon impressions:

-The guys who do Headlocked (a self-published wrestling comic) are really cool and the Wrestling in Comics panel was cool for their (and Christopher Daniels') stories.
-Boom! panel was actually really fun because somehow the panelists were charismatic and excited to be there (Jackson Lanzing is probably the most enthusiastic guy i've ever seen on a comics panel)
-Paolo Rivera was cool, he signed my Daredevils
-Bill Sienkewicz sounds way different than what I imagined for some reason
-the LA Convention Center is a pain. so glad it's back in Anaheim next year

sketch goals for tomorrow - Chrystal Garland, who's doing Steven Universe sketch covers, and maybe Ming Doyle if she's taking any more and if that's even in my budget, assuming I decide to pretend i'm working within one.

Sam "Bad Comics" Humphries
he's pretty good on comics panels! also, his Boom! book, Jonesy, is good, can't vouch for anything else tho
"sweet" cheesecake?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
https://youtu.be/EUnTWSp5J-0

okay this Snyder interview on All-Star Batman's got me all hot and bothered

tula lotay is on this

declan shalvey is on this

francavilla is on this

literally everyone that's cool is on this
Francavilla was all "what's that, you want me to do something that will further delay new Black Beetle? I'm in!!!"

Seems like Duke Thomas is getting a big push in both Batman and All-Star Batman. The Bat Family sure has exploded in size in recent years. DC should do some kind of rotating anthology series using all the extended cast, giving individuals or small team-ups the spotlight in standalone issues or short arcs. Could play around with some of the folks from Batman Inc too.

Okay, I just finished the first volume of Locke & Key ("Welcome to Lovecraft") and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Definitely plan to see that series through to the end. I only have the first trade volume that I picked up when I was back home in Canada a couple years ago, and just now finally got around to reading it.

I also picked up the first two volumes of Ghosted, and the first volume of Five Ghosts.

So, question for anyone who has read these, and Ghosted in particular. Does Ghosted get any better? I'm halfway through the first volume, and while it's alright and entertaining enough, I just feel like I was spoiled by the quality of writing in Locke & Key. I find the "protagonist" to be a douchey prick. He's like, an asshole version of Danny Ocean from Ocean's 11.

Is Ghosted an ongoing series?

Also, is Five Ghosts better than Ghosted?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I love Baker, but I have to post again at how disappointed I am in Circuit Breaker. I can't blame the writing on Baker, but even the art was weak! This is from the preview, so it's not spoilers or anything, but look at this (this is one of the better pages even):

They look like they're fresh out of a How to Draw Manga book from the early 2000s. I love his work too...

what the fuck is that

Li Kao

Hey I'm back ! Because as expected being unable to make a realist pull list makes for a quick reading burn out, fuck my life I need help.
But what did I learn from yesterday reading extravaganza ?
That Gotham by Midnight #6 is still so great.
That Grayson makes for a very solid but fucking confusing read. That Gotham Academy while a little tiring is also very good.
And Batgirl has a little toned the shit down on the whole selfie thing.

Oh and at first glance, while there are some major projects coming out of it, the whole Rebirth thing is a total letdown to me.
And the Comics Alliance article reminded me that Bennett wasn't on Wonder Woman and I feel very sad about it. Not because of wathever social representation agenda her being on it could push, just because she's really talented and I genuinely think she would have been a good fit for the titlle.

List? Nothing this week either.

Lots of big books releasing the week after though. Picking up

Absolute Transmetropolitan 2
Priest Black Panther Complete Collection v3

Other interesting releases

Ms Marvel OHC v2
Wicked + Divine HC
ASM Omnibus v2 (reprint)
Daredevil companion Omnibus (reprint)
Age of Apocalypse Omnibus (reprint)

Started reading the 1,000,000 omnibus. The set up issue and the following three (Superman, Batman, Nightwing) were pretty good fun.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just bought Batman TAS, any other cartoon series you'd recommend?

I know Young Justice is meant to be good, so I'll watch that when I'm finished House of Cards. Any good Justice League cartoons?

Another preview of Batgirl:

n3xEUjD.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDcExMrko7F/

Hmm. Well, whatever the difficulty you're having is, I don't think it's related to casually reading DC. It's almost entirely disconnected from everything else in the line. The first issue doesn't make a ton of sense on its own, if that's where you are, so keep pushing on.

I know Young Justice is meant to be good, so I'll watch that when I'm finished House of Cards. Any good Justice League cartoons?

Justice League + Justice League Unlimited are great. Especially once it hits the Unlimited seasons.

Is it a different Batgirl in Birds of Prey?

Nope, same Babs, afaik.

Rucka interviewed himself on tumblr. Talks about his past issues with DC too. And Ferdinand may be back.

http://ruckawriter.tumblr.com/post/141734737228/explication-and-elaboration

So I guess we'll get a cleaning up of the various "inconsistencies" in her origin.

No, I’m not going to tell you what the lies are, because then there’d hardly be a point in you reading the book. Suffice it to say, for now, that Diana discovers that some of the facts she’s taken as truth are…brittle under closer examination. She sets off to separate the lies from the truth.

Please note that Diana is smiling.

Because she does that.

This is not a “continuation” of my previous run. I think attempting to do so would be a massive mistake, honestly, if for no other reason than it’s been seven years and the character has changed. But that run is part of continuity – as are other runs – and where it is appropriate and where it helps the story, it will be acknowledged. But the previous run is not a requisite for reading (and hopefully enjoying) this new one.

Lashley

Hmm. Well, whatever the difficulty you're having is, I don't think it's related to casually reading DC. It's almost entirely disconnected from everything else in the line. The first issue doesn't make a ton of sense on its own, if that's where you are, so keep pushing on.

Justice League + Justice League Unlimited are great. Especially once it hits the Unlimited seasons.

Nope, same Babs, afaik.

Unlimited seasons are 4 and 5 yeah? Going to buy them because I'd heard they were fantastic.

what the fuck is that
Imagine how disappointed I was :(

You Are Here, Why I Hate Saturn, and Plastic Man are all classic.

Wakfu is really good. It's on Netflix. Watch it with French dub if you check it out.

Superman TAS
Batman Beyond
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Spectacular Spider-Man
Young Justice
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Wolverine and the X-Men

Still enjoying the Anakin & Obi-Wan book. Love the steampunk setting as it's completely different to anything we've seen in the films or animated shows. Soule's doing some good stuff with the Star Wars books.

Lashley

Superman TAS
Batman Beyond
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited
Spectacular Spider-Man
Young Justice
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Wolverine and the X-Men

Thanks! Especially for the Marvel recommendations, hard to find recommendations for the marvel animated stuff

Still enjoying the Anakin & Obi-Wan book. Love the steampunk setting as it's completely different to anything we've seen in the films or animated shows. Soule's doing some good stuff with the Star Wars books.

Yeah, I love it

Top Bottom