• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

dan2026

I wish I enjoyed the Harley series.

But something about the art just put me off.
Maybe its because I grew up with Harley in the Bruce Timm style.
She just looks wonky these days, or perhaps I just hate the artist.

That and the book is nowhere near as funny as it wants to be.

You mean apart from her book being slice of life?

So does that phrase now mean something different than it used to? Is her book a realistic look at every day life? Is it a realistic look at anything, for that matter? Are we reducing that phrase to mean just anything that shows aspects of every day life? Because if so, EVERY comic falls into that category.

Books that are typically popular on tumblr usually fall onto the Slice of Life category. Either a straight up drama story like Archie, Giant Days, or Gotham Academy or a super hero book where the main characters life outside of being a hero takes up a major part of the series and typcially made with a certain hip flavor, like Batgirl, Hawkeye, Squirrel Girl, Patsy Walker.

News to me! That makes sense. I've tried all of those except for Gotham Academy, and really loved Fraction Hawkeye and the current Archie run. But I definitely get the vibe that some of the current stuff coming out is trying too hard to be "hip," and that can get a bit tiresome.

Messi

So does that phrase now mean something different than it used to? Is her book a realistic look at every day life? Is it a realistic look at anything, for that matter? Are we reducing that phrase to mean just anything that shows aspects of every day life? Because if so, EVERY comic falls into that category.

News to me! That makes sense. I've tried all of those except for Gotham Academy, and really loved Fraction Hawkeye and the current Archie run. But I definitely get the vibe that some of the current stuff coming out is trying too hard to be "hip," and that can get a bit tiresome.

Have you read her current series?

Vic_Viper

Would someone mind explaining Marvel Unlimitied to me and if it's worth it currently. Do they ever run promos for it? How long does it take for new issues to appear and are there ever instances where they don't ?

Owzers

Would someone mind explaining Marvel Unlimitied to me and if it's worth it currently. Do they ever run promos for it? How long does it take for new issues to appear and are there ever instances where they don't ?

New issues are on a six month delay typically.

Some of the Marvel Max books didn't make the journey to MU, all of the regular universe books do as well as all the Star Wars books ( i thought they might not but resubbed when they did).

It's worth it, especially on ipad. I don't have a lot of experience trying to read it on a laptop, that might be a dealbreaker for me.

There are promos but they've been less frequent lately. Sometimes discount codes have been included in blu ray releases of Marvel movies like Avengers age of ultron (expired now i believe), around christmas, sometimes when big comic conventions happen there will be a promo for either a free month or a discounted year.

MU is basically the Roman Reigns of comic reading.

There's a $10 off discount for the year right now with the code SEASON2. That will net you a full year for $60. I'd say it's the single best value in comics, period. If you're willing to wait six months for books to come to the service (a la trade waiting), it can't be beat. It's ONE dollar more expensive per month than buying an individual book.

The app is somewhat buggy, I'm not going to lie. Most of the problems have been ironed out last year, but you'll still see issues pop up from time to time. Nothing major and it's not a deal breaker. Also, their version of guided view isn't on par with what Comixology offers. I don't use it, but if you're reading on a small screen that might be a problem.

Does MU work on a kindle fire?

Back when I first subscribed, I was using a Fire. There wasn't an official app for it. I had to sideload it though 1Mobile. Seeing as Amazon owns Comixology, I highly doubt they'll let the official app onto their store. So to answer your question, you have to work around that. I'm not sure I would be all in on the service if a Fire was my primary device.

PsychBat!

Banned
Even the ones I don't like

culkin-shocked-face.png

we know

Didn't think I would say this again but I am enjoying an event and its tie-ins (DC 1,000,000). First one after Annihilation: Conquest/War of Kings.

Maybe it would have pissed me off if it broke up a run I was reading but the omnibus seems to be fairly self contained.

Vic_Viper

I have a spare kindle at the house Noones using so I was just curious. iPads are pretty cheap nowadays so I'll probably end up getting one around the same time I'd be subbing. Is Remender's Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, and Avengers runs on there? Would end up saving a ton getting MU over the omnis.

I have a spare kindle at the house Noones using so I was just curious. iPads are pretty cheap nowadays so I'll probably end up getting one around the same time I'd be subbing. Is Remender's Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, and Avengers runs on there? Would end up saving a ton getting MU over the omnis.

Yes to all three. You can get your Frankencastle on! Pretty much everything outside of the MAX stuff and brand new stuff is there. There are occasional gaps.

I know Uncanny X-Force and Punisher runs are.

http://marvel.com/comics/series/6601/punisher_2008_-_2010

http://marvel.com/comics/series/9976/uncanny_x-force_2010_-_2012

You can browse the marvel website. If the issue has a small "U" on the bottom, that means it is on MU.

JsarkFB.png

tim1138

Didn't think I would say this again but I am enjoying an event and its tie-ins (DC 1,000,000). First one after Annihilation: Conquest/War of Kings.

Maybe it would have pissed me off if it broke up a run I was reading but the omnibus seems to be fairly self contained.

DC One Million is so good. I was thinking earlier today how much I would flip out if the JLA Rebirth book is actually Justice Legion Alpha and made the DC One Million future universe the canon future of the DCU.

DC One Million is so good. I was thinking earlier today how much I would flip out if the JLA Rebirth book is actually Justice Legion Alpha and made the DC One Million future universe the canon future of the DCU.

The great thing is, the tie-ins are not just treading water till we hit another issue in the mini-series. There is some really well laid out world-building going on in each issue and they flow into each other fairly well. Nothing feels like filler as of now.

frye

I'm pretty sure it did end up interrupting every book in the line, though tbf it was only for that one month (the main 4 issue series came out weekly iirc)

The last time they tried to establish a canon future it ended pretty poorly for everybody, and also noncanon.

tim1138

The great thing is, the tie-ins are not just treading water till we hit another issue in the mini-series. There is some really well laid out world-building going on in each issue and they flow into each other fairly well. Nothing feels like filler as of now.

The Starman and Chase tie ins were some of my favorite, but you're right, it's all great world building. Just another thing to add to my reread list...

Poodlestrike said:
The last time they tried to establish a canon future it ended pretty poorly for everybody, and also noncanon.

The nice thing with the One Million stuff is that it's set in the 853rd century, so there's no real danger of locking present day characters into ultimate fates. It's more about continuing the legacy and ideals of the DCU heroes forward through time eternal.

The Starman and Chase tie ins were some of my favorite, but you're right, it's all great world building. Just another thing to add to my reread list...

The nice thing with the One Million stuff is that it's set in the 853rd century, so there's no real danger of locking present day characters into ultimate fates. It's more about continuing the legacy and ideals of the DCU heroes forward through time eternal.

Hmm, true.

Yeah, I can see it. That'd be pretty fun, sort of a spiritual successor to JL3K1 for people who liked the idea of a cosmic future JL book. So long as they don't touch on any near-future events, it'd work.

Read up Supahman Brainiac. Pretty decent. Moved on to Injustice, which i always thought was a shitty videogame spin-off of no particular relevance.

Hey, this Injustice thing is pretty dang good.

Up to year 2. How they handled Kyle Rayner was pretty interesting.

Messi

Read up Supahman Brainiac. Pretty decent. Moved on to Injustice, which i always thought was a shitty videogame spin-off of no particular relevance.

Hey, this Injustice thing is pretty dang good.

Up to year 2. How they handled Kyle Rayner was pretty interesting.

Injustice is really damn good. Arrow and Harley are amazing.

Card Boy

Banned
I got Marvel Unlimited where character series should i read after Ant Man? Daredevil (1964 - 1998) or Amazing Spiderman (1963 - 1998). Either way it's going take me AGES.

jackdoe

Wait, what? DC's omnibi have great quality paper. Marvel could do well to learn from them in that respect.

The binding is tight on the One Million omni, though.
It's got that rough paper that I'm not a huge fan off. I prefer the glossy, smoother paper that the Marvel Omnibus have. But the Absolute Editions are the best of all. Thick, glossy pages.

VanWinkle

It's got that rough paper that I'm not a huge fan off. I prefer the glossy, smoother paper that the Marvel Omnibus have. But the Absolute Editions are the best of all. Thick, glossy pages.

Doesn't feel rough at all to me. Feels like thick semi-gloss paper. I love it.

Finally got to reading more Bendis Daredevil. I like the grounded take a lot, basically bringing it down to the basest street level stuff. Maleev's art reminds me a lot of Gaydos'. It's a bit of a weird experience, because I keep expecting 7 panels with the same facial expression, but you can tell there's more finesse and care to Maleev's art.

While I'm digging it, most of Matt's characterization has felt second hand. I think the last issue I read was more in-depth and introspective, but for a while I felt like anyone could have been in Daredevils role for this story.

Top Bottom