• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

Loved DC 1,000,000. Didn't know there was an omni, Gunna look into that.

€85 for the first 4 JLA collections in paperback, it's double that and more for the hardcover versions.

Guess I'll pick them up over time

jackdoe

€85 for the first 4 JLA collections in paperback, it's double that and more for the hardcore versions.

Guess I'll pick them up over time
I'm praying for DC to re-release the deluxe hardcovers, release an omnibus, or release an absolute edition of the run.

What's so hard to remember about Mxyzptlk?

It's certainly unique.
I couldn't type that from memory. I'd have to google it.

VanWinkle

Yup, and it's massive.

Here it is compared to a regular trade paperback:

rsz_imag0395.jpg

JTripper

I have a question regarding Owlman.

Is he Bruce Wayne's brother or just an alternate reality Bruce Wayne? Or is he both, from earth-0 and earth-3 respectively?

Yousefb

All this Rebirth news regarding pre-Flashpoint and new52 Superman(s) has me curious about checking out the Lois and Clark series. Is it any good?

Tizoc

I have a question regarding Owlman.

Is he Bruce Wayne's brother or just an alternate reality Bruce Wayne? Or is he both, from earth-0 and earth-3 respectively?
Bit tricky yo explain but here goes
Originally he was the evil batman counterpart of earth-3 or whtever thatbearth was called
Generally the character was simply that for much of his appearances

A decade ago, before nu52, dc introduced a character in the main dc continuity who went by the codename owlman and iirc was a member f the outsiders team

That is it off the too of my head

There was though that one time bane claimed he was an illigetamit son of wayne sr. Thus half brother of bruce wayne :p

jackdoe

Bit tricky yo explain but here goes
Originally he was the evil batman counterpart of earth-3 or whtever thatbearth was called
Generally the character was simply that for much of his appearances

A decade ago, before nu52, dc introduced a character in the main dc continuity who went by the codename owlman and iirc was a member f the outsiders team

That is it off the too of my head

There was though that one time bane claimed he was an illigetamit son of wayne sr. Thus half brother of bruce wayne :p
To continue this, new 52 Owlman is supposedly Thomas Wayne Jr. Younger brother of Bruce Wayne, thought to have been lost in an accident in childbirth. I don't know anything about Earth 3 Owlman.

As an aside, Earth 2 Owlman was Thomas Wayne Jr. Older brother of Bruce Wayne in an alternate universe where Bruce and Martha Wayne died. Thomas Wayne Sr. was police comissioner and James Gordon was Mayor in that universe (if I remember correctly). This is all contained in Grant Morrison's excellent JLA Earth 2.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A-Next is on Marvel Unlimited. Time to get my J2 on!

Zombine

Banned
For $23 you can pick up our least successful official ComicGAF Reading Club book, Hawkeye, and experience one of the finest comic stories ever written.

Relive ComicGAF history all over again.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Did you just preorder a digital book?

I don't have an LCS. This is literally my only way to read the series as it comes out. I'd get a print sub from Marvel but I don't feel like possibly waiting forever for an issue (I know their shipping can be spotty at times and I am not a very patient person, unfortunately).

Messi

I don't have an LCS. This is literally my only way to read the series as it comes out. I'd get a print sub from Marvel but I don't feel like possibly waiting forever for an issue (I know their shipping can be spotty at times and I am not a very patient person, unfortunately).

Welcome to the digital club.

You don't need to preorder digital books. lol

It's not gonna run out of stock or anything.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You can set up subscriptions in comixology as well, I do that for a few books.

It is a subscription.

I just hope this one doesn't get canned after a year and a half (seriously, they couldn't even give Cullen Bunn one more issue so he'd have six like Ellis and Wood did?).

Li Kao

Finished Endgame yesterday and it was a solid read, but not without its faults.

Tie-ins were shit tier except for the Gotham Academy one. I mean the Arkham Manor important pieces could be summarized in two panels max, Batgirl was an anecdotal silent issue, Detective was nice for the character introduction but the art was fucking uneven and characterization suspicious... Gotham Academy was anecdotal but as good as the main series, so no issues with it.

Then on the main storyline front, Snyder delivers a solid event with some strong moments, the end and some moments are great but at the same time I was surprised to see him so weak at times. There is this incredible dialog where Batman talking about some duality in the main threat says something like 'like life and death, love and hate, comedy and tragedy'... seriously ? What is that shit ? Are you really writing a believable character speaking to someone ? Then there is the English lady who oh so evidently can't usher two sentences without a 'bloody' something. I don't know Snyder well yet but his dialog skills didn't impress.

All in all I liked the thing but I can't explain why, there was something missing for me to really enjoy it. It was just a really solid, even great read, nothing more.

Li Kao

The end scene with Joker was amazing

Yeah, it had that iconic side to it. I wouldn't be surprised to see this fight fondly remembered.

Oh yeah, one big thing going for Endgame, if I wasn't so dumb to try to catch up with tons of back-issues it would have given me enough interest to check the whole Snyder run. Looks like a really good read.

It was pretty brutal. Capullo and FCO killed it. I love how FCO brought the very poppy colors from Zero Year into Endgame but with a much darker filter.

Capullo's not my favorite artist, but the colorists he gets are amazing in Batman. It really elevates the interiors to another level from what I've seen.

Boogiepop

I love Baker, but I have to post again at how disappointed I am in Circuit Breaker. I can't blame the writing on Baker, but even the art was weak! This is from the preview, so it's not spoilers or anything, but look at this (this is one of the better pages even):

They look like they're fresh out of a How to Draw Manga book from the early 2000s. I love his work too...
Hoooly crap that's bad. Like, wow. The best thing is the shoehorning Tezuka characters blatantly in there that don't at all fit with the "art style". Like, maybe as a tiny background object or something that fit in there better I could say "oh, I guess that's a neat homage," but that really looks like "oh crap, need some background characters! Where can I find some animu to trace!"

Anyway, saw Batman v Superman, put me in the "liked it" pile. The
dream/prophecy/warning or whatever
sequence was straight up awful and killed the pacing of the movie, and Batman's motivations/character arc weren't done great
mainly the insane whiplash of his turn from "I need to kill you" to "hi buddy" in a single scene...
. But outside of that and a few bits of bad acting here and there (the
Luthor party scene in particular
had a bad case of that), I thoroughly enjoyed it. So yay, Zach Snyder finally made a movie that I can say "I liked that" to!

But yeah, I half wonder if the fact that it kind of wants you both to ignore the comics but also know them that's part of the issue with the reception? IE there's definitely a good bit that kind of assumes you know the characters and lore, but then you also kind of have to accept the differences too, such as Lex Luthor being a completely different character.

Boogiepop

A-Next is on Marvel Unlimited. Time to get my J2 on!
Oh awesome! Legitimately glad for that. I'm guessing there's a few other gaps still left in the Spider-Girl universe, but that was probably the biggest one left incomplete! (Also, I'll admit this is probably nothing to be normally excited over as I don't recall what I read of this title being all that great, but damn it, I got that close to reading all the Spider-Girl stuff, so I want to finish it.)

(Also also, I have no idea how MU's upload process works and it is stupid. Like, why would you dump exactly half of a 12 issue or whatever run and then wait like at least a year to bother putting up the rest of it? And I think some of the other Spider-Girl spinoffs may have managed to be even shorter lived yet still were incomplete last I checked. Bleh)

jackdoe

Yeah, his hands were actually injured at one point after that and he had to re-teach himself how to draw.

He's much, much better now.
His JL 3000 stuff is like tiers ahead of the uneven stuff he did back on Morrison's JLA run. And I literally mean uneven. It suffered from the Ethan Van Sciver syndrome. There was no symmetry in faces and proportions were all goofy.

His JL 3000 stuff is like tiers ahead of the uneven stuff he did back on Morrison's JLA run. And I literally mean uneven. It suffered from the Ethan Van Sciver syndrome. There was no symmetry in faces and proportions were all goofy.

You should see his Superman work. Him doing Mythbrawl is one of my favorite parts of that arc.

Top Bottom