• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2016. It's your job to be great.

VanWinkle

Finished Earth 2 volume one. Very good. A lot of set up which is understandable, but it was very promising and made me excited for volume two.

jackdoe

I think that, while there's definitely a ton of hyperbole, there's certainly valid points. Particularly the pacing and supporting cast. There's also the poor explanation of Kilgrave's powers and how they interacted with Jessica. Regardless I still think the show is really good, and the themes it tackles with stalking, PTSD, rape, abuse, empowerment of both females and victims, etc. are really the heart and strength of the show.
The show is all that (and quite good) until it jumps the shark and becomes a comedy.
One escape. Fine. Adds to the tension. Two escapes. Okay. Still kind of believable. Three escapes? Now you're just kidding me. Four escapes? Yo, wtf.

Finished Earth 2 volume one. Very good. A lot of set up which is understandable, but it was very promising and made me excited for volume two.
you my bae
The show is all that (and quite good) until it jumps the shark and becomes a comedy.
One escape. Fine. Adds to the tension. Two escapes. Okay. Still kind of believable. Three escapes? Now you're just kidding me. Four escapes? Yo, wtf.
That's why I mentioned pacing problems. I agree with that, because my problem from the start is that they jumped straight into the central storyline too early and focused waaaay too hard on it. I wouldn't say that classifies as "jumping the shark" though. Just bad pacing issues.

TheFlow

Banned
This is true. Amazing book that, in fact, goes into great detail about killing -- the morality of it and is it always the proper solution. At what point are we just resigning ourselves to it to make it easier on ourselves. Also the whole minority report thing. All wrapped up in fascinating lore and great characters with great chemistry and action.

Great present with pretty packaging to boot.

I think that, while there's definitely a ton of hyperbole, there's certainly valid points. Particularly the pacing and supporting cast. There's also the poor explanation of Kilgrave's powers and how they interacted with Jessica. Regardless I still think the show is really good, and the themes it tackles with stalking, PTSD, rape, abuse, empowerment of both females and victims, etc. are really the heart and strength of the show.

fair enough.

fair enough.
I can understand the frustration though. People tend to be just as overemotional attacking something as they can be defending it, so a lot of the time they just critique something and don't go into anymore detail. "_______ is garbage!" My biggest irritation is when people say a very common critique: that a show or movie "really falls apart in the second half/third act," yet they never explain how or what the fuck that means. Specific enough to seem like a well-thought out opinion, but vague enough so they don't actually have to explain themselves.

There's probably something out there. I've been using a spreadsheet and goodreads. To get around the goodreads issue I've taken to using two separate shelves for completed stuff in a particular year. One for books and one for comics. It doesn't solve it as such because each book marked complete still counts toward challenge totals but at least means I can keep track of how much I've read of each which is more important to me.
Hm, I really like tracking the challenge thing, so I guess I'll just make an Excel or Google spreadsheet for now.

Thanks!

TheFlow

Banned
I can understand the frustration though. People tend to be just as overemotional attacking something as they can be defending it, so a lot of the time they just critique something and don't go into anymore detail. "_______ is garbage!" My biggest irritation is when people say a very common critique: that a show or movie "really falls apart in the second half/third act," yet they never explain how or what the fuck that means. Specific enough to seem like a well-thought out opinion, but vague enough so they don't actually have to explain themselves.
Yea exactly, it is why I try to avoid most marvel threads. the back and forth takes a toll.

VanWinkle

Going to read this adorable little hardcover next.

rsz_imag0569.jpg

Mindwipe

Well this has to be the most complicated CMX sale yet.
I can only guess it applies to the comics shown on this page
https://www.comixology.com/Image-Discovery-Sale/page/10207?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

Man, I have like everything in that sale already.

Sale trades on CMX are creeping from £2.99 to £3.99. Can't complain really, they've been slitting their throats for a while, but is the same happening to the US stores or is it a function of the crappy exchange rate?

Man, I have like everything in that sale already.

Sale trades on CMX are creeping from £2.99 to £3.99. Can't complain really, they've been slitting their throats for a while, but is the same happening to the US stores or is it a function of the crappy exchange rate?

Unless I'm imagining things, all of those trades are £2.99 anyway.

Reading some more of DC 1,000,000 I have to say one thing stood out for me. I've read about 200 pages now and I don't even think there are a combined 10 pages of panels with female characters with dialogue. Catwoman 1,000,000 is next so hopefully the issue is about her.

Rachel Rising #13-25

This series is so damn weird and endearing. I haven't the slightest idea where this is going and it's the most amazing feeling. Zoe is so great. I'm not sure I entirely understand what Moore was going for in her, but she is the weirdest yet most delightful member of the cast.

P.S. broke my record of 24 issues in a day that I made last week. :)

YOOOO Ennis's Punisher Max is on sale on CMX. I repeat Punsher Max is on sale! God bless Daredevil season 2. Marvel never puts max series on sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Punisher-Sale/page/10165?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

Edit: Aw Jason Aaron's books aren't on sale :(

noooooo. I started the collection in print but I'm going to have to finish it digital. I mean, I'd have to wait for October for the next release. :(

Sillymonkey was right. Print was a mistake. He's finally won.

Messi

Rachel Rising #13-25

This series is so damn weird and endearing. I haven't the slightest idea where this is going and it's the most amazing feeling. Zoe is so great. I'm not sure I entirely understand what Moore was going for in her, but she is the weirdest yet most delightful member of the cast.

P.S. broke my record of 24 issues in a day that I made last week. :)

noooooo. I started the collection in print but I'm going to have to finish it digital. I mean, I'd have to wait for October for the next release. :(

Sillymonkey was right. Print was a mistake. He's finally won.

Are you going to read Strangers in Paradise next? That book is a wonderful ride and Terry's art is just as good.

BTW little thing about Rachel Rising. He draws all the snow by hand.

Are you going to read Strangers in Paradise next? That book is a wonderful ride and Terry's art is just as good.

BTW little thing about Rachel Rising. He draws all the snow by hand.

Maybe not next, but soon. If they do a CMX sale, I will buy it without hesitation. If not, I will buy the softcover omnis in the coming months. I am very excited for that one.

Also, not surprising. The amount of detail in the art is astounding.

Messi

Maybe not next, but soon. If they do a CMX sale, I will buy it without hesitation. If not, I will buy the softcover omnis in the coming months. I am very excited for that one.

Also, not surprising. The amount of detail in the art is astounding.

I'm glad you got in and enjoyed it. Terry is a master storyteller.

tim1138

I brought it up a few times in January when it was announced

Tim knew. He told us.

See, someone was paying attention

So is Rocafort still on the book or no?

Ward's issue is just a one off Galactus. Rocafort is back in May (just in time for Civil War 2)

VanWinkle

Oodles of it. It's cutesy, but it's not exactly a kid's book.

This has surprised me while reading it, lol. Thought it was a kid's book but it really isn't. I'm LOVING it, though!

Especially show threads. For some odd reason, the shows become an instant mud-slinging operation

Got dat 30 Rock going?

I'm currently on my 8th rewatch of the series. It miiight have now dethroned P&R as my favorite show.

tim1138

have the new Gods been featured yet in the new 52?

big bertha? miracle man?

Mr Miracle and Barda are big players in Darkseid War in Justice League (along with Kalibak, Metron, and others), Orion and Highfather were in Wonder Woman, Steppenwolf was in Earth 2. I don't think Granny, the Furies, or Lightray have appeared anywhere yet though.

Li Kao

Hmm, beginning the first post-convergence month catch-up and nothing I read yesterday really caught my heart.

Shit read of the night -
There even was a big disappointment in Bizarro. I really wanted to love this but yeah, between the mental gymnastic to understand the main protag, the uninteresting plot and the total failure at humor, this was easily the shit read of the night.

Good read of the night -
Bizarro's twin book released on the same month, Bat-Mite, while not stellar, was sooo much better. There was a great feel of goofy cartoon adventure, a Scoobydooness of sort I really liked. Not a fan of the hero at all and I'm not sure where it goes and if it will remain good but so far I'm in for the silly.

In other news JL was kind of cool, not my thing* but cool. JLA was generally ugly and badly written. And the two Supe books were not so bad but there was definitely one title too much and man at powerless Superman chara-design. Kill it with fire.

* I think ever since Infinite Crisis I've discovered that I fucking hate comic book crises with a passion. To me there is something absolutely nonsensical in a bad way when you turn the action to eleven, I don't know how to describe it. The all out war thing, the body count, something is throwing me off and I lose interest in a matter of pages. And while JL was in no way in the same league as Infinite Crisis, I get a little nervous at the prospect of a Darkseid war threateningggg realityyyy itselffff...

Besides Vision, which is on my to read list, has anything been worthwhile from Marvel since Secret Wars? I fell completely off during Secret Wars with not really liking any of the side books.

ElNarez

Banned
Besides Vision, which is on my to read list, has anything been worthwhile from Marvel since Secret Wars? I fell completely off during Secret Wars with not really liking any of the side books.

The Ultimates, Iron Man, Doctor Strange (even if yeah okay it's literally just Aaron's first year of Thor all over again), Power Man and Iron Fist

the rest has either only had one ish or is not worthwhile

you're welcome

Top Bottom